Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liking statistics - is it related to socionics types?

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Liking statistics - is it related to socionics types?

I love statistics, data analysis, diagrams, etc

Is it type related?
    Alpha > Gamma?
    Gamma > Alpha?
    Both?
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post

Is it type related?
    Alpha > Gamma?
    Gamma > Alpha?
    Both?
    I like statistics too.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is club-related:
    NTs like statistics
    STs use statistics when necessary
    NFs are indifferent to statistics
    SFs hate statistics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

valued.

ILIs seem to like statistics too. 4-dimensional

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    I think it is club-related:
    NTs like statistics
    STs use statistics when necessary
    NFs are indifferent to statistics
    SFs hate statistics
    Stan is not my real name.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statistics are universally bullshit.
    Easy Day

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statistics are statistics...they can be useful, I suppose, but they are just numbers that indicate something about the past. I care when they can be used to tell something about the future, but otherwise they are just numbers whose relevance has been lost.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also generally like it. I think it just means we are nerds.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-cinq

I like statistics very much. My interest is not so much in collecting the data, but, to interpret what I see for patterns and trends. I often look at the forum stats.

For example, top posters as of late:

Maritsa33 508
    Brilliand 94
    thePirate 85
    aixelsyd 81
    discojoe 76
    Diana 69
    crazedratXII 68
    Gilly 63

Top (2-3) posters over the last few months have averaged about 100-120 posts say weekly. I look at Maritsa's count of 508 and find this is a huge variance to the average trend. She is also the only poster with more than 100 posts. Based on the average posting habits over the last few months, I'll say the forum is experiencing an unbalanced state. 508 posts in such a short time makes me think Maritsa probably values much more than she realizes. This amount of posting seems out of character for INFj. Also, the high rating posters are at the bottom of the top posters list, or dropped completely off (pinocchio, as example) makes me think regular posters are losing interest in posting. I'll suggest Maritsa's 'overposting' has an influence.

Alright, well, this is half in jest. But, I do spend alot of time looking at stats to predict patterns and trends. I've had an account with stockcharts.com for 8 years now. It is my personal stats playground. I'll use the information to develop technical trading systems. Also, in deciding on a new camera purchase, I will spend hours pouring over the specs, comparing cameras (including analyzing technical specs on lens - percentage of distortion, etc).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Top (2-3) posters over the last few months have averaged about 100-120 posts say weekly. I look at Maritsa's count of 508 and find this is a huge variance to the average trend. She is also the only poster with more than 100 posts. Based on the average posting habits over the last few months, I'll say the forum is experiencing an unbalanced state. 508 posts in such a short time makes me think Maritsa probably values much more than she realizes. This amount of posting seems out of character for INFj. Also, the high rating posters are at the bottom of the top posters list, or dropped completely off (pinocchio, as example) makes me think regular posters are losing interest in posting. I'll suggest Maritsa's 'overposting' has an influence.
    I have been toying with the idea of her as ESFj for a while now actually. Having discussed this with her and hitting a brick wall has not really changed this view. Her posting mannerisms do point towards Fe more than Fi, while at the same time she does not appear to be Beta.
    LII?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like statistics. Especially diagrams.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckland View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of her as ESFj for a while now actually. Having discussed this with her and hitting a brick wall has not really changed this view. Her posting mannerisms do point towards Fe more than Fi, while at the same time she does not appear to be Beta.
    I love Socionics, it's complicated enough to hold my interest and so much to explore about it that it fascinates me...and besides it's intellectual mastu...
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it type related?
    Alpha > Gamma?
    Gamma > Alpha?
    Both?
    I guess depending on the subject, every type would be attracted to statistical representations. However, as a general topic, beyond maybe the theoretical underpinnings, I find statistics dreary.
    LII?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I love Socionics, it's complicated enough to hold my interest and so much to explore about it that it fascinates me...and besides it's intellectual mastu...
    And ESFjs are unable to do that, right?
    LII?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

508 posts in such a short time makes me think Maritsa probably values much more than she realizes. This amount of posting seems out of character for INFj.
    that is a bold conclusion. There can be lots of reasons why she posts much. Next to that, she has several traits that make her a rather special case INFJ, so I'm not surprised that her posting behaviour deviates too from the average INFJ.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and besides it's intellectual mastu...
    I like it when you talk dirty

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koldj View Post
    valued.

ILIs seem to like statistics too. 4-dimensional
    this isn't such a bad idea, two friends of mine INTJ and ISTJ (both leading Ti types) have done university math with statistics as their main course.

Though I guess there is a difference between statistic formula's and statistic information (diagrams, lists of percentages etc.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    that is a bold conclusion. There can be lots of reasons why she posts much. Next to that, she has several traits that make her a rather special case INFJ, so I'm not surprised that her posting behaviour deviates too from the average INFJ.
    But her typing credibility is highly suspect. She attaches meaning to rather superficial mannerisms as well as too much emphasis on VI to the exclusion of almost all else. Her INFj typing is in all likeliness based on this form of typing, and so is her view of you being a likely ESTj.
    LII?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

508 posts in such a short time makes me think Maritsa probably values much more than she realizes. This amount of posting seems out of character for INFj.
    Maybe she's an ENFj.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Maybe she's an ENFj.
    No she's clearly EII. Just a very stubborn one.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I am an EII, and we are all stubborn; we are all one, we are all twins.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am an EII, and we are all stubborn; we are all one, we are all twins.
    No. No type is exactly the same as anyone else of that type. Or do you mean fraternal twins? Sure; that makes sense. I'm your twin.

EIIs aren't stubborn. EIIs and SEIs are pushovers.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No. No type is exactly the same as anyone else of that type. Or do you mean fraternal twins? Sure; that makes sense. I'm your twin.

Same type are genetic twins. they have the same brain, like the same food, wear the same clothing, have the same hobbies, understand and come to the same conclusion.

When people type incorrectly they come to a lot of misconceptions of type. We are no push overs we are very strong and fight for what we believe in; our duals admire us for that.

SEI are gentle but strong hearted; they can work with emergency case animals so well, I on the other hand, can't bear to stand animals suffer.
    -

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Same type are genetic twins. they have the same brain, like the same food, wear the same clothing, have the same hobbies, understand and come to the same conclusion.
    Apparently there are more than 16 types.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Apparently there are more than 16 types.
    If you ever go on a dating site, I can pull people of your same type, your twins, and you can ask them if they like the same things without really asking...like asking

What's your favorite book? or Your favorite comic?
    and you will see that they are the same as you, sex, race, nationality, culture, cast, color, etc doesn't matter
    -

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it type related?
    Alpha > Gamma?
    Gamma > Alpha?
    Both?
    I hated statistics in high school, I loved it in college. I think, like math in general, it depends on how you're introduced to it.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've admitted this isn't true for ISTps.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    You've admitted this isn't true for ISTps.
    ISTp's are very interesting; only by observation of their language will you be able to tell them apart; they adapt the trend of the surrounding they are in; so not all ISTp's will wear the same things, they can be quite unique in a very hard to explain way....and as far as eating is concerned they are picky eaters, this is in concern for their health; their logic is very interesting. I would say that they are the most unique of all 16 types of personalities.
    -

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it type related?
    Alpha > Gamma?
    Gamma > Alpha?
    Both?
    Gamma NTs (especially LIEs) like statistics because it provides them with an accurate picture of the changing states of the world, which they can use to plan method of acheiving their goals.

Alpha NTs (especially LIIs) like statistics because it gives them one more thing to analyze to death.
    Quaero Veritas.

Creepy-cinq

Maybe she's an ENFj.
    Yes, I'm thinking EFj at least, leaning towards ENFj.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statistics is very important when you get to molecular physics.

Ha! Shows you haven't met me sista...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think this? Based on her typing methods, she may as well have flipped a coin and chosen her type.
    LII?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you think this? Based on her typing methods, she may as well have flipped a coin and chosen her type.
    yes but I don't think it because she says so. Her writing and picture confirm EII. (at least I like to think so:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this isn't such a bad idea, two friends of mine INTJ and ISTJ (both leading Ti types) have done university math with statistics as their main course.

Though I guess there is a difference between statistic formula's and statistic information (diagrams, lists of percentages etc.)
    IMO it stems from subjectivist/objectivist dichotomy, as subjectivists want to rely on hard, unquestionable data (at least beta). Objectivists seem to be taking things as "obvious". For me it's hard to fully rely on my judgement. I see too many variables and can change my point of view very easily so I need to base my judgement on real evidence. Otherwise it's just speculating. Just like right now .

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hated my behavioral stats class. I only use statistics because it is necessary in my field of interest. I want to know the best treatments/meds or whether things are correlated together or not but I don't want to compute it myself.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIIs aren't stubborn.
    They are stubborn in a passive agressive way. They are indeed very soft and often push overs, except when they have some kind of principle to follow.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statistics are related to both T types. How the statistics are presented or what is emphasized has to do with Ti or Te, in my opinion. Everything that follows is my conjecture/opinion, but I think it makes sense.

Here's an example of Te use of statistics, imo. An ILI or LIE looks at a morass of (statistical) data about how a given set of stocks has performed (how many times a given stock has done a given thing, the number of fluctuations, the average fluctuations in a given sector, etc.). Without consciously or externally organizing that data into a system, he or she uses it to make a prediction about some future aspect of that stock's performance.

Statistics in a Te sense is also used by Fi valuers frequently to provide external "backup" to their subjective sentiments. For instance, someone who is fighting on some sort of Fi ethical compassion-for-all crusade might cite a bunch of statistics (x number of ys die every year due to evil thing z), in order to impress the importance of their views on others.

Statistics in a Ti sense is a little bit more organized and specific, and will tend to be used for a more specific purpose, not so much convincing people, but for proving something to one's self, or for arriving at a given conclusion. But I don't have as clear of a concept of how this might work.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Here's an example of Te use of statistics, imo. An ILI or LIE looks at a morass of (statistical) data about how a given set of stocks has performed (how many times a given stock has done a given thing, the number of fluctuations, the average fluctuations in a given sector, etc.). Without consciously or externally organizing that data into a system, he or she uses it to make a prediction about some future aspect of that stock's performance.
    Agreed. Gamma NTs look at the data and get an intuitive sense of "where things are going", and base decisions on that. They do calculations and look for trends and such, but it's flexible and focused on understanding where the data is going, not on underlying systematic rules for why it's doing what it's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    Statistics in a Ti sense is a little bit more organized and specific, and will tend to be used for a more specific purpose, not so much convincing people, but for proving something to one's self, or for arriving at a given conclusion. But I don't have as clear of a concept of how this might work.
    Ti takes data and looks for ways to analyze it and find connections between it. They look for permanent rules or laws to explain why the data is the way it is. Whereas Te+Ni focuses on changing data, what has happened in the past, and where trends are headed in the future, Ti+Ne focuses on finding unchanging patterns in the data, stable rules to categorize data and organize it into a static logical system.

Frequently changing data sets are a bother to Ti types, because all this fresh data must now be analyzed categorized as well, instead of digging deeper and finding more underlying static patterns on the old data. For Te types, frequently changing data sets are fascinating; they're a challenge, like wrestling and taming a wild animal or something.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When people type incorrectly they come to a lot of misconceptions of type. We are no push overs we are very strong and fight for what we believe in; our duals admire us for that.

SEI are gentle but strong hearted; they can work with emergency case animals so well, I on the other hand, can't bear to stand animals suffer.
    Maritsa, you never cease to amaze me.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast