Thread: Is Enneagram theory completely separate from Socionics?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Enneagram theory completely separate from Socionics?

Are ennegram types completely separate from socionics? or...not? Thanks!

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some say thats 2 totally different system, some say its a bit related to socionic or mbti, and imo, they are.
    The problem is that you can read various unrelated description for one type, but the pattern I see is :

1 : , but ISTJ seem to correspond too
    2 :
    3 :
    4 : and perhaps , althought I would more say 5w4 or 5w6 or something like that
    5 :
    6 :
    7 :
    8 :
    9 : ( aspirationnal is obvious in some description)
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noid View Post
    Some say thats 2 totally different system, some say its a bit related to socionic or mbti, and imo, they are.
    The problem is that you can read various unrelated description for one type, but the pattern I see is :

2 :
    3 :
    5 :
    6 :
    7 :
    8 :
    I'd revise this somewhat.

1: logic + rationality.
    2:
    3: not FP
    4:
    5: logic + introtim
    6: dominance, intuition? based on possible mistypes in the community. possibly also generic childhood abuse type.
    7: extratim + irrational
    8: extratim + sensing
    9: judicious + introtim

withdrawn types are by definition introtim. aggressive types are by definition extratim. complaint does not have a direct socionics equivalent.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two completely different systems. People here like to correlate them together imperfectly.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    These correlations blow chunks of sloppy ass.
    Yeah. As it stands the enneagram isn't tied to any measurable psychology. Rather than playing around with neurotransmitters, they'd be better served by rising above the pseudoscience of certainty and correlating with what we know of Big 5.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    Yeah. As it stands the enneagram isn't tied to any measurable psychology. Rather than playing around with neurotransmitters, they'd be better served by rising above the pseudoscience of certainty and correlating with what we know of Big 5.
    It's been done. See full report.

I haven't read this yet, but there might be some good ideas in there for how to do the same with socionics.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I'll read through this while sober and more able to adequately apply scepticism to the research and researchers.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Two totally different systems. The Enneagram is about types of deeply-ingrained defense mechanisms. Socionics is about cognition methods, or filters. There may be correlations due to cognition type biasing people towards certain reactions for eg, but direct correspondences are highly unlikely.
    Reason is a whore.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I'll read through this while sober and more able to adequately apply scepticism to the research and researchers.
    When someone tells you that being skeptical is a good idea, BE SKEPTICAL.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it you listen to Skeptoid too?
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya been listening to a lot of them since you last posted about it. Plan on going through the whole podcast by the end of summer. A lot of them are obvious (most of the paranormal) but topics like organic food, and his take on Zeitgeist have been very informative. At the very least I've rid my mind of the last 9/11 truth doubt.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noid View Post

2 :
    3 :
    5 :
    6 :
    7 :
    8 :

2:
    4:
    6: dominance, intuition? based on possible mistypes in the community. possibly also generic childhood abuse type.

withdrawn types are by definition introtim. aggressive types are by definition extratim. complaint does not have a direct socionics equivalent.
    I like these Cat, I'm sure those listed functions and types are more likely to correspond to those Enneagram types. However, I'm sure you will find several exceptions to those. IMO, Socionics does correspond to Enneagram, but only to a limited extent. This is why you'll find very different types with the same Enneagrams.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I like these Cat, I'm sure those listed functions and types are more likely to correspond to those Enneagram types. However, I'm sure you will find several exceptions to those. IMO, Socionics does correspond to Enneagram, but only to a limited extent. This is why you'll find very different types with the same Enneagrams.
    I'm presently of the opinion that Withdrawn Extrotims and Aggressive Introtims are paradoxical notions, and thus completely impossible. Other than that, yeah, fair game.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I'm presently of the opinion that Withdrawn Extrotims and Aggressive Introtims are paradoxical notions, and thus completely impossible. Other than that, yeah, fair game.
    I fit into the Withdrawn Extratim label quite well IRL. I also know introverts that can be very aggressive and social. It is paradoxical if you think the reasons they exist is because of Socionics. However, I think Introverted Extratims and Extraverted Introtims are that way as a result of factors unrelated to Socionics imo.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're a 6 though--that makes you Compliant, not Withdrawn.

Withdrawn refers to 9, 5 and 4. All of whom are typically described in accordance with a Socionics introtim.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You're a 6 though--that makes you Compliant, not Withdrawn.

Withdrawn refers to 9, 5 and 4. All of whom are typically described in accordance with a Socionics introtim.
    Okay, I guess that makes more sense come to think of it.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noid View Post

2 :
    3 :
    5 :
    6 :
    7 :
    8 :

2:
    4:

there is exception for sure, but imo this is the most likely.
    9 are Si/Ne, I maintain that, various enneagram 9 description have sometime better Ne aspirationnal description than socionic itself.

Ive asked me if 6 correspond mainly to FiNe or FiNe and FiSe, its a good question imo. Some 6 description speak about "impossibility to see possibility" wich refer perhaps more to Ne PoLR of ISFj, but some other speak more about Ne second things.
    Another stuff wich bug me is that if we consider 6 FiNe, we need to remember too that for some enneagram author, 6 is one of the most common type, and this contrast with the fact that FiNe are not so common (ooohh another interressant question, if anyone have the 16 ptype distribution ?).
    6w5 is definitely FiNe althought. Pure 6 is perhaps ISFJ... Idk. There is a possibility that various Fi quadra relate to it, perhaps ESTJ too. Its really not a clear enneagram type, containing probably too much type in one.

possibly also generic childhood abuse type.
    can you elaborate on this ? ive hard time to see this type of event interfering with basic fear/basic desire/motivation...

imo there is correlation, even if your Ni dont want to see it. In another mo, enneagram seem imperfect and have less potential of application irl than socionic.
    Last edited by noid; 08-12-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

TIM
    INTJ - intuitive sub
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics Hidden agenda

To love - INTP/ISTP
    To be loved - ENTP/ESTP
    To understand - INFP/ISFP
    To be perfect - ESFJ/ESTJ
    To be healthy - INTJ/INFJ
    To be wealthy - ENFJ/ENTJ
    To know - ENFP/ESFP
    To believe - ISTJ/ISFJ

Enneagram
    Ones - basic desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
    basic fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective

Twos - basic desire: To feel loved
    basic fear: Of being unwanted, unworthy of being loved

Threes -basic desire: to be valuable and worthwhile
    basic fear: of being worthless

Fours - basic desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an
    identity)
    basic fear: That they have no identity or personal significance

Fives - basic desire: To be capable and competent
    basic fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable

Sixes - basic desire: To have security and support
    basic fear: Of being without support and guidance

Sevens - basic desire: To be satisfied and content—to have their needs
    fulfilled
    basic fear: Of being deprived and in pain

Eights - basic desire: To protect themselves (to be in control of their own life
    and destiny)
    basic fear: Of being harmed or controlled by others

Nines - basic desire: To have inner stability "peace of mind"
    basic fear: Of loss and separation

How do you begin the correlation?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been done. See full report.

I haven't read this yet, but there might be some good ideas in there for how to do the same with socionics.
    This is very interesting
    IEE-Ne

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Two completely different systems which overlap in some places, but they do not (in my opinion) attempt to describe the same areas of personality, so any real correlations will be vague, although there is a tendency for certain sociotypes to be certain enneagram types, so it seems that they must be related somehow.

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's a blog article somewhere about types of children responding to types of parents leading to types of fixations. Type of child can be influenced by their type of cognition, hence the correlations?
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, Abbie made a topic a ways back that had some pretty reasonable conclusions regarding probabilistic correlations. I can't seem to find it though.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    |
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.