Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Caged pets

I've never understood the appeal of having fish or hamsters as pets...particularly in the case of fish because at least hamsters can escape. It is pretty disconcerting to see things in limited space like that...even with very small fish...they are still disconcertingly conscient.

The same is also true to a lesser extent with dogs, but at least dogs can enjoy being indoors if you are there.

(This is of course part of the reason why cats are better than dogs)

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a hamster once, but I wouldn't want another. I think it's cruel to keep them in a cage: guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. Fish also, unless you have a very large pond in your garden in which you can keep Koi or something like that. I think fish are more there to decorate the room, not to be a pet.
    Dogs are an entirely different thing though. They are so bound to human beings, they want to be with them, they want to be kept as pets. They couldn't really survive for themselves outside. If you left your dog somewhere in the woods, he would just stay around the area he was left, walk back and forth in search for you. It would be cruel to set them free.
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Had two dogs and a rat. Don't mind cats as well.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I've never understood the appeal of having fish or hamgloriously, ets...particularly in the case of fish because at least hamsters can escape. It is pretty disconcerting to see things in limited space like that...even with very small fish...they are still disconcertingly conscient.

The same is also true to a lesser extent with dogs, but at least dogs can enjoy being indoors if you are there.

(This is of course part of the reason why cats are better than dogs)
    Agree with all of that except dogs are better than cats. I have a pet door so my dogs can go outside and chase squirrels and possoms when they want a change of pace from sleeping or sitting on my foot.

I especially dislike seeing caged birds. Seems like they should be out flying gloriously in the air. I would feel like a criminal for keeping a bird from doing that amazing thing that I can't do - flying.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's no way to treat an IEI. They at least need a garden to run around in too!

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    That's no way to treat an IEI. They at least need a garden to run around in too!
    I just read in the article section how vital IEI is to the world. It might mean we are about to get an influx of SLE.

If there was no IEI in the Socion, our present society wouldn't even existed because there would be nobody to stop the growing expansion of Zhukov.
    You wouldn't want a bunch of SLE running around would ya? Think of the greater good, Jim, the greater good...

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Had two dogs and a rat. Don't mind cats as well.
    A few years back I lived with a girl who had two huge white male rats. She didn't keep them caged during the day at all.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus. This place has become PETA central.

Fish don't have the cognitive ability to care that they are in an aquarium. This anthropomorphizing shit is ridiculous and people have to stop. Rats do not sit in their (often lavishly appointed) cages and intellectualize the fact that they can't exit at will. "Oh my life would be so much better if I lived in a sewer in Brooklyn." Sad face. Humans are the only animals that engage in such self indulgent fuckery. It's what makes us "special".

News flash to you PETA ass lickers: THEY HATE animals. They hate animals so much that they have killed virtually every dog or cat that they have taken into their shelter in Virgina. Thousands of them every year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan...b_2979220.html

Also: if you actually cared about animals you would know that dogs make much better pets because they're not destroying the fucking planet with their homicidal ways.
    Last edited by Scapegrace; 03-25-2014 at 07:04 PM.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    A few years back I lived with a girl who had two huge white male rats. She didn't keep them caged during the day at all.
    They sleep during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post

Fish don't have the cognitive ability to care that they are in a tank.
    I boiled the fish by accident in their fish tank, and that's why I didn't mention I had fish. I mean, when I came back, they were floating bellies up.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Dolphins have the cognitive ability to be self-aware too. They endulge hedonistically in self indulgent fuckery.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

They sleep during the day.
    So did we, until 6 pm or so. Then we played in the city until dawn. She locked them up when we headed out for the "night" (we didn't leave the house until after midnight which was technically morning). They would scurry across my pillow. It creeped me out but I held them sometimes.

Edit: She was a goth chick btw. Sometimes she would bring one to the club with us. It got a lot of attention sitting on her shoulder. I never went total goth. I was more punkrocker.

Punk was outta style but I liked it so I dressed the part for awhile.

Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair,
    In '77 and '69, revolution was in the air,
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care,
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair,

YWIMW

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well Dolphins have the cognitive ability to be self-aware too. They endulge hedonistically in self indulgent fuckery.
    Well, yeah, but they're mammals. Not fish.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So did we, until 6 pm or so. Then we played in the city until dawn. She locked them up when we headed out for the "night". They would scurry across my pillow. It creeped me out but I held them sometimes..
    Is this liek standard when it comes to Te polr - sleeping until 6 PM?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Is this liek standard when it comes to Te polr - sleeping until 6 PM?
    Well, if you wanted to revive the "club kid" movement... . It would have been cool to be a part of the original club kids even as a sideline observer. I didn't dress that crazy. It didn't take so we moved on to "demons of the night".

What is Te polr? Link me or something.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Rats are a mammals too.

You said humans are the only animals who blah blah blah'd, so i nitpicked.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What is Te polr? Link me or something.
    (Te) He is focused into the domain of his dreams and dreams help IEI to hide from reality, which sometimes proves to be too rough and severe for his tastes.

His activity in business is unpredictable, since his fitness depends exclusively on his mood: short flash-assaults alternate with periods of prolonged inaction. As a rule, he possesses a low energy drive, and therefore finds it difficult to force himself to work.
    Fragment of IEI point of least resistance - Te polr.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Fragment of IEI point of least resistance - Te polr.
    I still don't know what that means. I'll figure it out eventually. I will read no line before it's time.

YWIMW

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well Rats are a mammals too.

You said humans are the only animals who blah blah blah'd, so i nitpicked.
    I maintain that human beings are the only animals capable of reflecting on the condition of their lives and feeling misery about it.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I still don't know what that means. I'll figure it out eventually. I will read no line before it's time.
    It means, when you break down, say, IEI's 'soul' that Te (practical logiks), is IEI's vulnerable spot. Same goes for SEI.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I maintain that human beings are the only animals capable of reflecting on the condition of their lives and feeling misery about it.
    I absolutely agree. We project our feelings/emotions onto animals. They have a different type of consciousness. I do believe they feel pain though. I also believe they experience love as well but I do not consider love an emotion.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

It means, when you break down, say, IEI's 'soul' that Te (practical logiks), is IEI's vulnerable spot. Same goes for SEI.
    This is useful information that I will investigate soon. Thank you.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

With fish, they may well have space comparable to that of a house and be of limited intelligence, but I can't stand looking at the things as they swim from one side of the tank to another in about two seconds, examining a piece of gravel, and then swimming back to where they were and just staring at other fish. At least in houses, people get stimuli such as books and music and possibly other things that I am ignorant of.

And with hamsters...the way they are endless trying to escape from the cage may be classified as cute curiosity but it seems deeply troubling to me. When they do escape, they never come back!

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I've never understood the appeal of having fish or hamsters as pets...particularly in the case of fish because at least hamsters can escape. It is pretty disconcerting to see things in limited space like that...even with very small fish...they are still disconcertingly conscient.
    i tried setting my fish free from their bowl, they just flopped around and died.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    i tried setting my fish free from their bowl, they just flopped around and died.
    I once nearly inadvertently flushed one such fish down a toilet

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

fish are boring. but i like mice and rats and hamsters and snakes and lots of other pets that go in cages. as long as the cage is an adequate size and they have everything they need i don't see an issue.

growing up my family had an iguana that grew to be about 6 feet long and outgrew all the cages my parents could find. it didnt really have space to move and i wonder if that contributed to its death. my dad adored him, though.

when i was a kid i had a pet hamster with an elaborate cage and there was one particular room in the cage he always peed in, and he fell asleep in there one time and drowned to death.

Fish don't have the cognitive ability to care that they are in an aquarium. This anthropomorphizing shit is ridiculous and people have to stop. Rats do not sit in their (often lavishly appointed) cages and intellectualize the fact that they can't exit at will. "Oh my life would be so much better if I lived in a sewer in Brooklyn." Sad face. Humans are the only animals that engage in such self indulgent fuckery. It's what makes us "special".

News flash to you PETA ass lickers: THEY HATE animals. They hate animals so much that they have killed virtually every dog or cat that they have taken into their shelter in Virgina. Thousands of them every year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nathan...b_2979220.html

Also: if you actually cared about animals you would know that dogs make much better pets because they're not destroying the fucking planet with their homicidal ways.

wtf.....

"If PETA had its way, this dog would be killed in every shelter in America because someone says he looks like a "pit bull." According to Ingrid Newkirk, a growing number of shelters are enacting policies banning the adoption of pit bulls and requiring their automatic destruction and PETA "supports the pit bull policy.""

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PETA wants to see the total extinction of domesticated animals. That's their agenda.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PETA wants to see the total extinction of domesticated animals. That's their agenda.
    Who mentioned advocation for PETA? No one. I want to be a humane consumer and next it is implied that I (or others concerned) have something to do with well-intentioned idiots.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Who mentioned advocation for PETA? No one. I want to be a humane consumer and next it is implied that I (or others concerned) have something to do with well-intentioned idiots.

Nobody mentioned PETA, but nobody needed to. They are at the root of all of the is keeping pets abusive hysteria.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody mentioned PETA, but nobody needed to.
    Funnily, I completely agree with you on this one.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

At least one rat lover.

And PETA are Alpha hippies.

Last edited by Absurd; 03-27-2014 at 10:35 AM.

TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Funnily, I completely agree with you on this one.
    Aww. Poor bebe. Go kill a cat for "art."

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shit got real...

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww. Poor bebe. Go kill a cat for "art."
    I hate it when you PETA my personal convictions like that.