View Poll Results: Are you reward or threat orientated?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very Reward Orientated

1 5.26%
  • Somewhat Reward Orientated

3 15.79%
  • No preference

2 10.53%
  • Somewhat Threat Orientated

7 36.84%
  • Very Threat Orientated

6 31.58%

Thread: Reward or Threat Orientated

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Reward or Threat Orientated

Threat vigilance is a trait most often identified with the neuroticism scale in Big 5 and high-reactive brain types. If you have a low-reactive brain and therefore find the world less concerning the 'theory' (Kuhnen, Knutson et al) is that you are reward orientated. Which are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Reward Orientated
    If you are reward orientated:
    1. When you get something you want, you feel excited and energized
    2. When you want something, you usually go all out to get it.
    3. When you see an opportunity for something you like, you get excited right away.
    4. When good things happen to you, it affects you strongly.
    5. You have very few fears compared to your friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Threat Orientated
    If you are threat orientated:
    1. Criticism or scolding hurts you a lot
    2. You feel worried or upset when you think or know someone is angry with you.
    3. If you think something unpleasant is going to happen you usually get pretty 'worked up'
    4. You feel worried when you think you have done poorly at something important
    5. You worry about making mistakes

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a very bogus dichotomy to me.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Seems like a very bogus dichotomy to me.
    Thinking and Feeling a 'believable' dichotomy? Introverted thinking and extroverted thinking a 'believable' dichotomy? Dichotomies, how do you eat yours?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Reward Oriented, but I wouldn't go abouts defining my mindset like that personally, I'd call it having a positive outlook or positive expectations. It's very different from some EIEs' positive outlooks that you might mistake me for a serious or negative person, in that mine is a very personal fleeting feeling of action and search for what I want. To me, having a positive outlook means not needing to justify it, but just immersing in the spirit of my emotionality, while theirs is all in the expression and quantification, the attitude, the justification. Having to express positivism or any emotion, to me, contradicts emotion, because emotion can't be quantified. It is too real.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very against earning negative consequences, but i score low on neuroticism in big 5, i seem to remember positive experiences way easier than negative ones, and i think i have fewer fears than my peers( though more deepseeded ones).

I have to agree with Park. I think this dichotomy is broken in that theres no innate balance or tradeoff represented for both sides.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Somewhat Threat
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Threat vigilance is a trait most often identified with the neuroticism scale in Big 5 and high-reactive brain types. If you have a low-reactive brain and therefore find the world less concerning the 'theory' (Kuhnen, Knutson et al) is that you are reward orientated. Which are you?
    Threat orientation remains at the background and comes to the fore when triggered. The bigger the reward, the more appealing and exciting. I am motivated by rewards and threats keep me cautious.

Both are good in moderate amounts.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Thinking and Feeling a 'believable' dichotomy? Introverted thinking and extroverted thinking a 'believable' dichotomy? Dichotomies, how do you eat yours?
    With a side of french fries and coleslaw. Lots of salt on both.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat reward. Depends on the environment too (i.e. what does making a mistake entail?)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very threat-oriented. I do score high on Neuroticism.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Reward Orientated
    1. When you get something you want, you feel excited and energized No
    2. When you want something, you usually go all out to get it. No
    3. When you see an opportunity for something you like, you get excited right away. No
    4. When good things happen to you, it affects you strongly. No
    5. You have very few fears compared to your friends. No

Originally Posted by Threat Orientated
    1. Criticism or scolding hurts you a lot No
    2. You feel worried or upset when you think or know someone is angry with you. No
    3. If you think something unpleasant is going to happen you usually get pretty 'worked up' No
    4. You feel worried when you think you have done poorly at something important No
    5. You worry about making mistakes No

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are not mutually exclusive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tridim..._Questionnaire has them as separate dimensions.

For example: "High novelty seeking (NS), high harm avoidance (HA), and low reward dependence (RD) predicted a higher proportion of adolescents with Internet addiction. High NS, low HA, and low RD predicted a higher proportion of adolescents with substance use experience. Of the 4 groups, the Internet addiction group had the highest HA scores and the comorbid group had the lowest HA scores."

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think that both could very well coincide.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Actually it makes sense.

I'm reward oriented and I'm usually score low or normal on neuroticism.
    People more neurotic tends to experience and put more attention into this traits IME. Most of this description could be read as being a worrier and being worried increase neuroticism. Plus most of these are related to social anxiety.:

1. Criticism or scolding hurts you a lot
    2. You feel worried or upset when you think or know someone is angry with you.
    3. If you think something unpleasant is going to happen you usually get pretty 'worked up'
    4. You feel worried when you think you have done poorly at something important
    5. You worry about making mistakes

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

It looks like this is indeed largely dependent on how "neurotic" or mentally healthy someone is.

When I was younger, I was surely more reward oriented. I've found people who are more reward oriented tend to be happier, more relaxed, and more successful.
    As of now, I am definitely more threat oriented due to lower self esteem and so forth, and that does negatively impact me.
    I am going in and out of the two mindsets, trying to make myself adopt the reward mindset because otherwise I don't do anything and stagnate.

I think everyone has the capacity to have either mindset, and the reward one is definitely superior.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its weird. Only two of the five questions for threat related got a yes, and three of the reward ones got a yes, but outside of the test im very clearly negative reinforcement oriented. Energy and effort to negate future risks, and little energy and effort spikes if promised a reward.

I think maybe the test is asking something different than I presumed it was asking. The questions make threat oriented sound like a crybaby.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1. When you get something you want, you feel excited and energized. Maybe
    2. When you want something, you usually go all out to get it. Nope
    3. When you see an opportunity for something you like, you get excited right away. Maybe
    4. When good things happen to you, it affects you strongly. Yep
    5. You have very few fears compared to your friends. Yep

1. Criticism or scolding hurts you a lot. Depends
    2. You feel worried or upset when you think or know someone is angry with you. Maybe but seldom
    3. If you think something unpleasant is going to happen you usually get pretty 'worked up'. Not that much usually
    4. You feel worried when you think you have done poorly at something important. How important?
    5. You worry about making mistakes. Nope

MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I picked "somewhat threat oriented", but I just had a look at the lists again and have to say that I am actually "very threat oriented" at the moment.

Nothing of the first list applies to me.

When you get something you want, you feel excited and energized
    Nope... I just got a good grade in an assignment, and I have trouble with feeling truly happy about it.
    It somehow doesn't faze me much at all. :/

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely threat orientated.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

@InvisibleJim How do you become more reward-oriented?

*********** 21-04-19:

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like it could be a real dichotomy if you interpret it as long-term and short-term oriented. I mean, you have the exact words: "threat-oriented". A threat is a threat to someone or something, same with a reward. So a "threat-oriented" person just sees lots of little threats in comparison to the reward they want, and the other way for "reward-oriented" one. Basically, ambitiousness vs. impulsiveness. How new and ground-shattering of an idea.

The "very reward oriented" one also doesn't sound like a human being. People should at least get 3, 4, and 5 on threat-oriented fairly often, which would weigh it towards "somewhat reward oriented" at max if you're still alive by now. I don't know anyone who is just bouncing off the walls with glee and can't even conceive of a care in the world, even if they're the star of a recent musical about the life of Oprah Winfrey. On the other hand, people who hate everything are a dime a dozen.

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I'm the only one who voted for very reward oriented. Live a little everyone!
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚