Thread: Thinking that a type is the best one and what that says about you

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Thinking that a type is the best one and what that says about you

I have this idea that if you read a description and see it as the best one, there's a high probability that that's your type.

However, this exactly coincides with confirmation bias, so it's a chicken vs egg problem. Am I really that type or am I just predisposed via cultural norms or some sort of complex to really badly want to be that type so I subconsciously block out all rational consideration for anything else?

What are your thoughts on this? Is someone who views a type as the best one deluded or is that their ego type?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is going to be excessively verbose and meandering because I just got back from a run and my feel good chemicals are active.
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Some of the reasons you may see it as the best type include shared function values. In this sense, you might mistype yourself this way as some other type within your own quadra. Ie. you could read a description of your dual and "see it as the best one".
    Yes, my main confusion right now could be related to this(Alpha Quadra). I seem to be pretty good at reasoning and getting to the essence of things quickly, but I am not confident in the results. By all indications, my reasoning is more nuanced than anyone else's, via how others react to what I say. I am not perfect, for sure, I miss some perceptions that fuck up the result, but in general I can get a fairly good tentative analysis of anything. I hedge the fuck out of my conclusions though, because of all the doors I opened on the way to get there.

Also, if there is a chance for comfort in my environment, it's hard to turn down. I prefer to just veg out and have thoughts come to me. When I focus on something purposefully, none of the creative juices flow. Highly non-directional. I also can focus really well when I'm arguing. So this has me wondering...I'm not purposeful or willful, I find it hard to turn down comfort in any form, but I'm not one to just let someone define what I think for me. It does seem to point to alpha NT but devil's advocate sees it being Si dom. And then, I remember that I'm shit with Fe so this was for naught. Whoops.

In general, though, all of the type descriptions are heavily influenced by the perspective of the author: their beliefs and subtle biases can get transposed into you. For this reason, I don't think going around and reading type descriptions is the best way to go about self-typing. They are still an enormous tool, but perhaps not the best method. Surely there will be multiple types you relate to, and trying to quantify the "best" one may be difficult. I think you understand this balance by saying 'there's a high probability', meaning it's likely but not 100% all of the time.
    It's mostly like, me going into LII description on wikisocion, reading how Fi is dealt with, saying oh, I don't try to be constantly polite(I do in work situations) but it's not my neurotic preference or anything. And then I read about the advantages that other functions confer to an individual's mindset, and decide, well how could any other type be better than this? The importance I place on this is the subjective reaction, and the honest blindness to the utility of other types. I see the utility of say Se doms as integral and powerful besides alpha NT, but not really the others. Is this familiar? This is largely the bias of type communities such as this one. On and on down the rabbit hole from here.

I definitely think there's a correlation, though. Usually people defend their self-typings by saying 'I read the descriptions and it sounds just like me!'. The only context this could become problematic is if someone was raised within a culture that put heavy pressure on them to change themselves: this would result in someone relating more to a description outside of their own quadra, based upon values they believe they need to hold in order to be acceptable to others and society in general.

I agree with you, it is likely to be indicative of quadra values at least, but in regards to trying to see the root of it(it being the perception of a type as best in general) in other people who are not your quadra, it becomes more difficult because they may actually have some sort of mental instability, which is also something that seems to be frequent on the net and in type communities.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I thought that reading type descriptions was one of the best ways. As long as you're open-minded to alternative hypotheses, then you can stick with a hypothesis and wait for someone to try to disprove it. If they don't notice you and let you be then you're probably LII . Trying to find flaws in a type description probably is more confusing than trying to find other type descriptions which vibe better with you - there will always be a few minor aspects of a type description which are probably more cos of the author's bias and that will confuse you. But if there's no better type and you buy into the concept that everyone is one of the types, then you've got to be that one.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Also, if there is a chance for comfort in my environment, it's hard to turn down. I prefer to just veg out and have thoughts come to me. When I focus on something purposefully, none of the creative juices flow. Highly non-directional. I also can focus really well when I'm arguing. So this has me wondering...I'm not purposeful or willful, I find it hard to turn down comfort in any form, but I'm not one to just let someone define what I think for me. It does seem to point to alpha NT but devil's advocate sees it being Si dom. And then, I remember that I'm shit with Fe so this was for naught. Whoops.
    Si HA aspiring higher