Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Signs of Giftedness in Adulthood

From here. Anyone else relate to this pretty much 100%?

The vast majority of adults who were labeled *gifted* in childhood are unaware that their advanced development would continue to have an impact throughout their lives. Contrary to popular belief, giftedness is not characterized by high intelligence alone. Rather, gifted individuals experience early & exceptional psychological, spiritual, and intellectual development. As a result, gifted adults exhibit common personality traits and face similar challenges on the road to self-actualization.

Gifted adults demonstrate:

1. Qualitative differences in information processing -- characterized by: unique perception and awareness; a sense of humor and creativity outside the norm; questioning, searching for truth, intuitiveness; insightfulness; comfort with both divergent thinking (breaking things into components) and synergistic thinking (putting things together to form something new and different); relentless curiosity and heightened creative drive; more process-oriented than product-oriented; hold divergent values compared to mainstream culture.
    2. High sensitivity -- characterized by: sensitivity to others often combined with a sense of personal alienation and loneliness; acute awareness of complexities and consequences; heightened responsivity to expectations of others.
    3. Intensity -- characterized by: high excitability; high energy level; emotional reactivity; high arousal of central nervous system.
    4. Multipotentiality -- characterized by: having capabilities in many areas and domains of talent; can move fluidly from one pursuit or interest to the next; have the ability to juggle many things at once.
    5. Idealism -- characterized by: striving for moral integrity; interest in social reform & service; extraordinarily high standards; low tolerance for mediocrity and frustration.
    6. Perfectionism -- characterized by: self-criticism; labeling themselves as "scattered"; having a lowered sense of entitlement to make mistakes; identifying easily with failure; thinking they are more likely to blame than others; difficulty taking credit for achievement and abilities ("imposter" phenomena).
    7. Internal locus of control -- characterized by feelings of: being out of step and on a separate path; being "Other"; not fitting in; striving for Inner Authenticity may experience deep conflicts between needs for self-actualization and maintaining traditional relationships.
    8. Strong entelechy (from Greek for "having a goal") -- characterized by: the need for self-determination, for self-actualization; leadership qualities; achievement-oriented; interested in non-traditional careers and professions.
    9. Intense moral commitment -- characterized by: seeing injustice and doing something about it; willingness to stand up for one's beliefs; outrage at moral breaches that the rest of the world seems to take for granted.
    10. Global view -- characterized by respect for all human beings; a greater capacity for empathy; concern for others--especially children; sensitivity and warmth.

As a gifted individual, it is important that you recognize your precious creativity and acknowledge that the full expression of your gifts would be a tremendous contribution to the society at large. It is essential that you develop a plan to channel and focus your abundance of physical, sensual, intellectual and emotional energy.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

This is a lot of Te to chew up in one evening so I'll save it for another day
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, I can't relate. It lacks extreme good-lookingness, superb athletic capability, incredible likeability, god-given powers of healing.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nah, I can't relate. It lacks extreme good-lookingness, superb athletic capability, incredible likeability, god-given powers of healing.
    I could kick your ass in a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    This is a lot of Te to chew up in one evening so I'll save it for another day
    Lick my balls.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton2 View Post
    assburgers
    Diana said she related to it as much as I did, and she's hardly afflicted with Asperger's or any kind of add-related malady.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah this is pretty much me

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    yeah this is pretty much me
    Yeah, all ten of those aspects apply to me fully. Really creepy.

Fun being special, though.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I could kick your ass in a fight.

Lick my balls.
    But that's incompatible with:

Global view -- characterized by respect for all human beings; a greater capacity for empathy; concern for others--especially children; sensitivity and warmth.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

yeah, same. its unfortunate that special people like us are so misunderstood.

Creepy-male

Haha, so that's what it was all along.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the list sounds like its describing some kind of super-powered race of human. i'm kind of surprised that its actually being taken seriously.

i apparently have a genius level iq (but eh, it was tested when i was 3) and i was labeled "gifted" as a child, but i can relate to probably about half or less on the list.

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm depressed now.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number 3 is wrong.

I don't have high energy.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well you're ILI Jarno, so you can let that one slip

Besides I was considered a "gifted" child intelligence-wise when I was a kid, now I feel that I was imply precoscious, t rather than a genius of any sort, as most others I see now can do what I do. On the other hand I identify with most of these points, (except about the one about prefectionism) so am I awesome, or what?

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I'm depressed now.
    Then congrats--you're now gifted! (See number 2 in the OP's list.)

This is a really emo list, btw. I found myself wondering about the type (and E fix) of the person who created it.
    Last edited by golden; 01-27-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha. Me too. Except I don't think I have a particularly high IQ. Like, above average but not genius or mensa level.

Nevertheless, out of habit, I shall assume that there is something wrong with this list, lol.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Than congrats--you're now gifted! (See number 2 in the OP's list.)

This is a really emo list, btw. I found myself wondering about the type (and E fix) of the person who created it.
    Yeah, me too.

There may be some valid points there, and much of it I can relate to. But, that probably just means that whoever wrote the article is an NF type.

All this reminds me, though, of something my Psych 101 teacher in college said once...she said, "If you are in this room today, you have won the biological lottery."

Indeed, as I have gone through young-adulthood, I realize more and more how lucky I am to have been gifted with a high intelligence, to be multi-talented, to be so self-sufficient in every capacity...The more I observe the world at large, the more I realize how blessed I have been, and how much I take for granted.

I truly have "won the lottery."
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Creepy-Snaps

I R SMART!!!!! CAN I HAZ COOKIE?

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gifted adults demonstrate:

1. Qualitative differences in information processing -- characterized by: unique perception and awareness; a sense of humor and creativity outside the norm; questioning, searching for truth, intuitiveness; insightfulness; comfort with both divergent thinking (breaking things into components) and synergistic thinking (putting things together to form something new and different); relentless curiosity and heightened creative drive; more process-oriented than product-oriented; hold divergent values compared to mainstream culture.
    2. High sensitivity -- characterized by: sensitivity to others often combined with a sense of personal alienation and loneliness; acute awareness of complexities and consequences; heightened responsivity to expectations of others.
    3. Intensity -- characterized by: high excitability; high energy level; emotional reactivity; high arousal of central nervous system.
    4. Multipotentiality -- characterized by: having capabilities in many areas and domains of talent; can move fluidly from one pursuit or interest to the next; have the ability to juggle many things at once.
    5. Idealism -- characterized by: striving for moral integrity; interest in social reform & service; extraordinarily high standards; low tolerance for mediocrity and frustration.
    6. Perfectionism -- characterized by: self-criticism; labeling themselves as "scattered"; having a lowered sense of entitlement to make mistakes; identifying easily with failure; thinking they are more likely to blame than others; difficulty taking credit for achievement and abilities ("imposter" phenomena).
    7. Internal locus of control -- characterized by feelings of: being out of step and on a separate path; being "Other"; not fitting in; striving for Inner Authenticity may experience deep conflicts between needs for self-actualization and maintaining traditional relationships.
    8. Strong entelechy (from Greek for "having a goal") -- characterized by: the need for self-determination, for self-actualization; leadership qualities; achievement-oriented; interested in non-traditional careers and professions.
    9. Intense moral commitment -- characterized by: seeing injustice and doing something about it; willingness to stand up for one's beliefs; outrage at moral breaches that the rest of the world seems to take for granted.
    10. Global view -- characterized by respect for all human beings; a greater capacity for empathy; concern for others--especially children; sensitivity and warmth.
    11. Being me.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That link is full of shit btw. High intelligence is actually correlated with arrogance and lessened empathy.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

god-given powers of healing
    I never seen you heal anyone!

Shenanigans!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    That link is full of shit btw. High intelligence is actually correlated with arrogance and lessened empathy.

but being gifted is not the same as high intelligence though innit bruv, especially if you are equating intelligence with IQ testing.
    Last edited by somavision; 01-28-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IQ is a measure of motivation.

In an individual, IQ can vary from day to day, based on one's level of motivation.

That's all i have to contribute to this thread.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    IQ is a measure of motivation.
    No it's not.

In an individual, IQ can vary from day to day, based on one's level of motivation.
    No it can't.

That's all i have to contribute to this thread.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Hawking View Post
    I have no idea [what my IQ is]. People who boast about their IQ are losers.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High intelligence is actually correlated with arrogance and lessened empathy.
    This is what Aleksei says in the mirror every day so he can feel good about himself.

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No it's not.

No it can't.

Thank you.
    He/She is partially right on the first and completely right. Intellect is nothing but a firing of neurons. Of course this is going to vary. To say that IQ doesn't vary is an extremely misguided statement, our brain is never in the same state.

On the motivation thing, motivation is a broad term. If motivation was used to describe excitability of neuron activity in certain sectors of the brain, meaning the brain more readily scans for information then that would be accurate. In the end motivation is a word used to describe excitability levels.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is where the magic happens

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Divided View Post
    this is where the magic happens
    It gives me an erection just thinking about it.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm depressed now.
    (you always sound depressed)
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somavision View Post
    but being gifted is not the same as high intelligence
    This.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm depressed now.
    It'll be ok sweety.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    It'll be ok sweety.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Vero View Post
    This.
    Best avatar.

Creepy-Snaps

Maybe it's because of our modern societal focus on schooling and education, but I think the conversation in this thread has steered so far into what defines intelligence, that the main point of the message has been missed.

the full expression of your gifts would be a tremendous contribution to the society at large. It is essential that you develop a plan
    It's about action people. Sitting around being intelligent, however you define it, helps nobody.

Do God's Will and help other people. Help society. It's like Jesus' parable about talents, that the man with the fewest number of talents, who had developed what he had and used them to help others, was looked on with the most favor.

Maybe even this thread misses the point. It doesn't just have to be intelligent people who can greatly contribute to society. Everyone, no matter what they're born with and given, must develop their talents to the best of their abilities.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    Maybe even this thread misses the point. It doesn't just have to be intelligent people who can greatly contribute to society. Everyone, no matter what they're born with and given, must develop their talents to the best of their abilities.
    The goal shouldn't be to contribute to society, it should be to do whatever happens to be the thing that makes you happy.

That said, I think one's general level of intelligence, perhaps omitting the super dumb and the super smart, has little to do with the possibility of affecting society in some respectable way.

Creepy-male

The goal shouldn't be to contribute to society, it should be to do whatever happens to be the thing that makes you happy.

That said, I think one's general level of intelligence, perhaps omitting the super dumb and the super smart, has little to do with the possibility of affecting society in some respectable way.
    Bolded for thissitude. Most people are drops in the ocean, basically. From experience, if you expect to be able to make a huge difference, you're only going to depress yourself.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    Bolded for thissitude. Most people are drops in the ocean, basically. From experience, if you expect to be able to make a huge difference, you're only going to depress yourself.
    Yeah, generally, unless striving for such a goal is what makes you feel happy. I only feel happy when I am working toward some kind of personal, grandiose plan. The idea of settling into a rudimentary, commonplace existence of work/marry/mortgage/kids/soccer/minivan/college/retire/die makes me want to kill myself. What's the point? I'm not a Delta pod person; I need big and I need exciting.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Elyse Killoran (whoever you are) for showing us the indisputable signs of giftedness in adulthood. I believe in your word, Amen.

Creepy-

Yeah, generally, unless striving for such a goal is what makes you feel happy. I only feel happy when I am working toward some kind of personal, grandiose plan. The idea of settling into a rudimentary, commonplace existence of work/marry/mortgage/kids/soccer/minivan/college/retire/die makes me want to kill myself. What's the point? I'm not a Delta pod person; I need big and I need exciting.
    fwiw, I am the same way, and I'm Delta. I agree w much of what you've said in this thread... I especially like/agree w this exchange:

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post

It's about action people. Sitting around being intelligent, however you define it, helps nobody.

Do God's Will and help other people. Help society. It's like Jesus' parable about talents, that the man with the fewest number of talents, who had developed what he had and used them to help others, was looked on with the most favor.

Maybe even this thread misses the point. It doesn't just have to be intelligent people who can greatly contribute to society.
    [<-- not that part, since I don't think contributing to society is the thing to strive for at all] Everyone, no matter what they're born with and given, must develop their talents to the best of their abilities.

I don't think inner restlessness and striving for huge goals are type- or quadra-related... if they are, there's no way I'm in that quadra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast