TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Concern w "new money" vs. "old money"

Is this an So-first thing?
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

it's a thing old money points out when it kind of gets less n less

socionics-wise, aristocracy would come to mind first tho

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree w both your points...wondered if it correlated w enneagram as well. (fwiw, I have heard betas, gammas, and deltas talk about this, but not alphas...doesn't mean they don't, but I haven't encountered it.)

Someone recently asked me something like, "So in Atlanta does new money tend toward X University, while old money sticks w Y University?" I didn't know, as I have literally never even thought about it, and I thought it was kind of tacky to even consider tbh. I mean, who cares? I dunno...different strokes, I guess.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

cultural economics something something

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Seems aristocratic

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

old money vs new money is about more than where they got their money from, it's about how they think life should be approached. So, the consideration is kind of like do you want to go to a stuffy prestigious school or a school that's more interested in methods closer to modern ways of doing things.

I think it's rare that you don't see a little of both, with 'new money' predominating.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it seems aristocratic.

The person who asked is LIE, and fairly concerned w such things...the impression I have is that she considers a certain group (not exactly class, but something like it) the "cool kids" in life, and she has spent her life trying to get in w them. Seems like what I would imagine an insecure So-first, from what I've read, but I wondered other people's thoughts.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    Is this an So-first thing?
    if that's an so-first thing, then i'm not so-first.
    couldn't care less about that stuff in the least.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just following up: after getting to know her better, I think in her case at least this has more to do w her Se HA than enneagram. Thanks for the input!

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The person who asked is LIE, and fairly concerned w such things...the impression I have is that she considers a certain group (not exactly class, but something like it) the "cool kids" in life, and she has spent her life trying to get in w them. Seems like what I would imagine an insecure So-first, from what I've read, but I wondered other people's thoughts.
    Just following up: after getting to know her better, I think in her case at least this has more to do w her Se HA than enneagram. Thanks for the input!
    I've heard this talk from non LIEs, so does it even have a relation to socionics or enneagram types? These is so much about personality that I think isn't covered by typings. 2c.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    I've heard this talk from non LIEs, so does it even have a relation to socionics or enneagram types? These is so much about personality that I think isn't covered by typings. 2c.
    I think you're right, and I expect it has to do with a lot of things. In this case, she is LIE...she is probably So-first, probably E3...and she grew up middle class and now makes a lot of money but feels insecure nevertheless, as she constantly compares herself w whomever is "above" (in her mind) her.

So, yeah...it's a lot of things, not all of them socionics- and enneagram-related
    Last edited by SongOfSapphire; 05-07-2016 at 04:44 PM.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice this type of thing a lot and I think noticing it/finding it important depends on your family background. My family and extended family are solidly middle class (much closer to working class than upper) but my mom is an intellectual and hates tackiness and she had me notice this from a young age...she never explicitly talked about it I've just always known pretty much. Social class indicators are basically instilled in my brain; I know I'm not "upper" and yes at times it has bothered me, but I prefer to be a bohemian type of person in the end.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Democratic not Aristocratic.

Aristocracy is consciously concerned with division into groups for the preconscious individual rights.

Democracy is consciously concerned with individual rights for the preconscious desire to rise above others.

Since this manifests itself as playing on individual rights with the actual goal being better off than others, it is democratic.

LIE seems so concerned with it because their HA is basically money and power, and they try and appeal to their Ego as being morally right and that others are denying their rights by not letting them use and step on others.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't care but I might notice it. I pick up on a lot of social-class (more like social "attitude") indicators, to the point where I would prefer to turn that part of my brain off.

I could see an so-first being just as likely to be vehemently against caring about that as "into" it.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not something I usually pay attention to, although I think it should be a felony to have kids if you can't provide them with an ample inheritance.