TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISFjs and "holding grudges"

I had a thought.

It seems that a lot of times, ISFjs are (or can be) compared with INFjs, or other types I suppose, and called unforgiving and accused of holding grudges, etc.

I suppose this might seem obvious, but I think it's the Se. Se is about physical, external, concrete reality, right? So, when someone does something, there are consequences. Sometimes those consequences are nice, sometimes they aren't. To just let it go and pretend it didn't happen is in a way ignoring Se. So ISFjs have to take what happened into account, because it is reality. Otherwise I'm not sure they'd be ISFjs.

That, combined with the static mindset, means that "this is the reality of the situation; and we have to live with it". Add to that the Fi aspect, people related, and you have the makings for what is often called "holding a grudge."

However, "good Fi" I guess you could call it, can also be concerned about making the reality right. They care about the people involved and want good to come of what is.

So, while ISFjs can hold onto reality and the consequences of decisions, they are not necessarily unforgiving or unkind. In fact, I would think that they could be quite good at knowing how and being able to shift the reality to help alleviate the consequences, or at least make them turn out better, especially for people they care about.

That's all I have for now.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, it is the Fi.

Fi is the "internal statics of fields", or the "unquantifiable aspects of relationships".

When Fi is used to make judgements, the person using it will use their previous emotional "snapshot", if you will, to determine their relationship with the person they have/had an issue with. This "snapshot" follows no set of physical rules, and is, therefore, utterly a subjective reasoning based upon a split-second, memorable emotion that the Fi-user held. This strong feeling will not pass, but become an "emotional rule", so to speak, that the Fi-valuer will follow with conviction. While this doesn't have to be a feeling of hatred, or even a bad thing at all, it is memorable and unquantifiable, allowing someone who uses Fi most of the time to base their actions off of it.

This can lead to unfailing loyalty, hatred, depression, etc.; it becomes very difficult to make an Fi-base forget these emotional "rules" they have created; it would be like asking an LII to forget that trees are made of wood (very like, as a matter of fact).

The reason that ESIs tend to show "grudge-behavior", I would think, is due to Ni (as opposed to Si). Ni is the internal dynamics of fields, and Si is external; this, I think, means that while someone who values Si would percieve the physical dynamics of a relationship as it moves along (and can be objective in determining what harm a person continues to do), an Ni-valuer will percieve subjective, emotional changes of the opposing person through actions that person does as symbols, which may or may not be correct.

INFj's use Si, so they can forgive, I think, more easily during periods of lulled aggression.
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Actually, it is the Fi.

Fi is the "internal statics of fields", or the "unquantifiable aspects of relationships".

When Fi is used to make judgements, the person using it will use their previous emotional "snapshot", if you will, to determine their relationship with the person they have/had an issue with. This "snapshot" follows no set of physical rules, and is, therefore, utterly a subjective reasoning based upon a split-second, memorable emotion that the Fi-user held. This strong feeling will not pass, but become an "emotional rule", so to speak, that the Fi-valuer will follow with conviction. While this doesn't have to be a feeling of hatred, or even a bad thing at all, it is memorable and unquantifiable, allowing someone who uses Fi most of the time to base their actions off of it.
    This is dead on. Fi captures the internal makeup of a connection between two people, in a holistic manner. Once it extracts those components, a set 'state' is reached, which is subject to only gradual change, while never really deviating from that initial connection.

This can lead to unfailing loyalty, hatred, depression, etc.; it becomes very difficult to make an Fi-base forget these emotional "rules" they have created; it would be like asking an LII to forget that trees are made of wood (very like, as a matter of fact).
    Yes. Exactly.

The reason that ESIs tend to show "grudge-behavior", I would think, is due to Ni (as opposed to Si). Ni is the internal dynamics of fields, and Si is external; this, I think, means that while someone who values Si would percieve the physical dynamics of a relationship as it moves along (and can be objective in determining what harm a person continues to do), an Ni-valuer will percieve subjective, emotional changes of the opposing person through actions that person does as symbols, which may or may not be correct.
    This is generally correct; the feedback loops definitely make for the difference. An ISFj will not only establish that integral Fi connection, but will look at the latent processes of a person (Ni). They may seem overly-definite with judgments, unwilling to see variations, etc. But it's because the Se gradients and cues are merely tips of an iceberg that denotes the underlying patterns of the person; where the Si context changes ostensibly, the Ni context never really 'changes', instead revolving around a central theme. Gammas are pretty integral and implicit overall with their judgments, albeit not as absolute, choosy and controlling as a beta or delta.

The INFj (or Ne/Si people in general) would always remain 'open' in a way. Because, as you mentioned, Si processes are observable, and as one moves along that context of activity, an array of variables manifest themselves, bearing different connotations, forms and general meanings. Ne/Si people tend to reject the more [seemingly] absolute attitude that Ni/Se valuers have; the perspective that 'there are more aspects to this situation' is a common one, where Ni/Se expresses a more 'it is what it is, regardless' outlook.

INFj's use Si, so they can forgive, I think, more easily during periods of lulled aggression.
    Yes. They use Si; not Ni or Se. lol. Just felt like emphasizing that.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Fi is used to make judgments, the person using it will use their previous emotional "snapshot", if you will, to determine their relationship with the person they have/had an issue with. This "snapshot" follows no set of physical rules, and is, therefore, utterly a subjective reasoning based upon a split-second, memorable emotion that the Fi-user held. This strong feeling will not pass, but become an "emotional rule", so to speak, that the Fi-valuer will follow with conviction. While this doesn't have to be a feeling of hatred, or even a bad thing at all, it is memorable and unquantifiable, allowing someone who uses Fi most of the time to base their actions off of it.
    Yeah, I think this is a good description. When someone does something to wrong me I won't hold a "grudge" in the sense that I will hold it against them forever and never forgive them or move on, but I will never forget what they did and will keep it in mind when deciding whether or not to confide in them/trust them again and it will definitely alter our relationship in my mind, although I doubt this alteration is noticeable to anyone but myself.

Edit: This doesn't mean that I will dislike the person who has wronged me forever or that I'll never forgive them or confide in them again. I have no problem forgiving someone and moving on, but somewhere in my brain there will always be the reminder of what they did and.... Blah, this is hard to explain.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, it is the Fi.

Excellent description Tom. A frustrating aspect of Fi to me as a Fi PoLR type is that those judgments and rules seem arbitrary and like an imaginary force field trying to trap me. So my reaction to that is "What gives you the right to make that judgment? What basis are you making it on?" (countering with Ti, looking for a set of explicit rules, of which Fi types have none to provide.)

And as Strrrng mentioned, the Si/Ne Ni/Se difference between the INFj and ISFj account for a kind of absolute sense of "this is just how it is" with Gammas, whereas with Deltas there's a judgment at a certain point in the Si continuum, but there's flexibility to "grow" and be "rehabilitated" out of that negative state in which you're being judged. Actually lol it kind of makes me think of the way community disciplinary measures work, particularly in schools - no wonder most are run by Deltas. Like if you write on the school bulletin board that the principal is a big fat tub of shit, usually they make you write some sort of apology letter and stay after school for a detention, as if doing that will somehow make it all better. As if once you've gone through the TeSi ostensible established procedure for "righting the bad Fi" then you're somehow off the hook. It's weird how Delta works that way. It seems like the way to change someone's Delta Fi is to go through some established TeSi external procedures that is supposed to demonstrate that you're in a different place than you were, and that your new intrinsic condition (Ne) is different from the old one.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Minde and Calenwen are right here most of the others are wrong. I think most of you are misinterpreting the reasons ISFjs and INFJs have for their actions.

ISFjs are holistic perceivers. They see the whole person mirrored from single actions. It's not that they think about someone and judge them, it's that they perceive someone to be wholly worthless with Se. Fi is what makes them rethink things if you openly confront them, which is something that they do.

Example: An ISFj nurse I had not really ever talked to comes to me in the cafeteria and just flat out shouts: "Take your hat off!". I immediately take it off and apologize. Suddenly she's the warmest person ever and for the rest of the day she helps me beyond her well beyond her job description.

I think you people are mistaking "being absolutely negative and confrontational towards a person" with "judging".

A much larger problem is introduced if the ISFj is very high Se subtype and actually has quite low capacity for Fi-related forgiving.

One thing that ISFjs do is that they remember an event which triggered their impulse of confrontation, but if they didn't react, but they can't quite forgive and forget either, they end up dwelling with it, haunted by the memory, repetitively dwelling in negative thoughts and memories about a person. When meeting someone, the person may feel that they have been prejudged. But that word prejudged has nothing to do with socionic judging and nothing to do with Fi. It's the absence of that releasing Fi, the inability of the ISFj to make a genuine judging decision to be friendly towards someone that creates the situation of sincere intense dislike.

Furthermore, for most ISFjs it's standard operating procedure to be negative towards people. So another thing I've seen is that an ISFj may meet someone and be happy, but be so unused to actually liking someone that they go over the meeting in their head until they remember some little detail that they can dislike and through concentrating on that they restore the original state of confrontation. Again, that's not something personal, that's not Fi but absence of it. The Fi works to build bridges DESPITE all the bad memories.

To reiterate: ISFj- Se = the mental perceptive snapshot of a situation, concentrating on the problems more often than not
    ISFj-Fi = ability to forgive, if not forget

From my experience, if the ISFj is given an opportunity to know the reason for an action in such a way that they can relate the single slighting event to a larger positive context, they become quite delightful people in most situations.

That is how it seems to me. If someone who is actually ISFj or ISTj or INFj wants to correct me, I'd be happy to read whatever you choose to comment on. I'm probably wrong about some things regarding this.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes View Post
    cut
    That's how I see the situation, too. It's better to concentrate on Se, Fi, Ne; rather than the difference between Ni quadra and Si quadra. An INFj can be understood as a transitioned ISFj, an ISFj that has already forgiven "everything". (well, it'd be better to just say, concrete Fi, rather than INFj in general). When you've forgiven everything, you can concentrate better on what is usually included under the "reasonable" or "judicious" label. (it's clear why, at the peak of resolute, there does not seem to be the time or necessity to pay attention to forgivness).

In a way:

However, "good Fi" I guess you could call it, can also be concerned about making the reality right. They care about the people involved and want good to come of what is.
    In a way, this is an ISFj becoming an INFj. (well, this is the problem of not being able to use labels such as IJ-Fi, that would be more appropriate in this situation)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Minde and Calenwen are right here most of the others are wrong. I think most of you are misinterpreting the reasons ISFjs and INFJs have for their actions.

ISFjs are holistic perceivers. They see the whole person mirrored from single actions. It's not that they think about someone and judge them, it's that they perceive someone to be wholly worthless with Se. Fi is what makes them rethink things if you openly confront them, which is something that they do.

Example: An ISFj nurse I had not really ever talked to comes to me in the cafeteria and just flat out shouts: "Take your hat off!". I immediately take it off and apologize. Suddenly she's the warmest person ever and for the rest of the day she helps me beyond her well beyond her job description.

I think you people are mistaking "being absolutely negative and confrontational towards a person" with "judging".

A much larger problem is introduced if the ISFj is very high Se subtype and actually has quite low capacity for Fi-related forgiving.

One thing that ISFjs do is that they remember an event which triggered their impulse of confrontation, but if they didn't react, but they can't quite forgive and forget either, they end up dwelling with it, haunted by the memory, repetitively dwelling in negative thoughts and memories about a person. When meeting someone, the person may feel that they have been prejudged. But that word prejudged has nothing to do with socionic judging and nothing to do with Fi. It's the absence of that releasing Fi, the inability of the ISFj to make a genuine judging decision to be friendly towards someone that creates the situation of sincere intense dislike.

Furthermore, for most ISFjs it's standard operating procedure to be negative towards people. So another thing I've seen is that an ISFj may meet someone and be happy, but be so unused to actually liking someone that they go over the meeting in their head until they remember some little detail that they can dislike and through concentrating on that they restore the original state of confrontation. Again, that's not something personal, that's not Fi but absence of it. The Fi works to build bridges DESPITE all the bad memories.

To reiterate: ISFj- Se = the mental perceptive snapshot of a situation, concentrating on the problems more often than not

From my experience, if the ISFj is given an opportunity to know the reason for an action in such a way that they can relate the single slighting event to a larger positive context, they become quite delightful people in most situations.

That is how it seems to me. If someone who is actually ISFj or ISTj or INFj wants to correct me, I'd be happy to read whatever you choose to comment on. I'm probably wrong about some things regarding this.
    You are speaking here mostly of the ISFj spectrum. But what effect does Ne have?

A word associated with Ne is "possibilities", which is what I was thinking would make INFjs more "open" and "forgiving" - less tied to what actually happened and more accepting of differences. Perhaps. Or more open to different realities (though that sounds convoluted to me )... Maybe a better way to put it would be more allowing of different states. (No, that still doesn't sound right...)

Fi is judging. So why couldn't it judge someone as "bad" just as well as judging them as "good" and deserving of forgiveness?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will add that something about Tom's "snapshots" resonates with me.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blah, blah, blah..."Trust me, I'm a doctor."

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    Be constructive - as I know you can be - or please don't post in my thread. Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    Quoted for people's innate trust for physicians with degrees.
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote a response in another forum, here's the main point:

At 16types, there seems to be a false attribution to holding a grudge with Fi. In my experience, I find it more common in the Beta and Gamma quadras. If I recall correctly, members of Gamma have mentioned that the idea of justice holds incredible importance to them personally. And if we look at periods that were markedly 'Beta', their inspiration to revolution and rebellion, I think, can easily be tied to justice but is somewhat molded into a 'greater' cause, that is, part of the whole package. I think a strong sense of justice is correlated to holding grudges. That is not to say that Alpha and Delta have a weak sense of justice but are more willing to bend the 'rules' and be lenient thus seen as more 'forgiving'.

Of course, as Minde mentioned:

"In fact, I would think that they could be quite good at knowing how and being able to shift the reality to help alleviate the consequences, or at least make them turn out better, especially for people they care about."

This would be done, I imagine, when the guilty has proven hirself improved.

Basically, I agree with everyone who understands that Fi is not related to holding a grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    You are speaking here mostly of the ISFj spectrum. But what effect does Ne have?

A word associated with Ne is "possibilities", which is what I was thinking would make INFjs more "open" and "forgiving" - less tied to what actually happened and more accepting of differences. Perhaps. Or more open to different realities (though that sounds convoluted to me )... Maybe a better way to put it would be more allowing of different states. (No, that still doesn't sound right...)

Fi is judging. So why couldn't it judge someone as "bad" just as well as judging them as "good" and deserving of forgiveness?
    I hope my interjection is welcomed.

I think that Fi, despite judging something about a person as 'good' or 'bad', will create a relationship regardless. For me at least, everybody has both but if the good is more prevalent, the relationship is positive; if the bad heavily outweighs the good, the relationship is negative.

Where I think Ne and Se comes to place in all of this is for an INFj, the good is weighed by the potential (this person wants to be good, not as bad as they seem, they didn't mean it, etc) while for an ISFj, the good is weighed by what has been observed and experienced (the person did this). In this perspective, one can see how INFj-Fi 'turns' ISFj-Fi and vice versa!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Originally Posted by JRiddy
    But how does that matter in this situation? Not everyone knows Smilingeyes is a physician, or even has a degree nor does he calls attention to the fact. Totally uncalled for.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Why is she suddenly the warmest person ever I do not know.
    Because he gave her what she wanted; he responded rightly to the way she thought things should be. My guess is she got warm fuzzies inside. I know for myself, anyway, that when I get warm fuzzies because of someone I'm more likely than not going to do some version of smothering them with affection - which often can take the form of helpful loyalty (or loyal helpfulness).

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    I hope my interjection is welcomed.
    I welcome any opinions or ideas or interjections related to the topic at hand.

But how does that matter in this situation? Not everyone knows Smilingeyes is a physician, or even has a degree nor does he calls attention to the fact. Totally uncalled for.
    Yes. Precisely.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde

Ne and Se are both ways to perceive problems. The difference theoretically is that Se is short-term, immediate concrete issues that one can face immediately. It tends to result in confrontations. Ne results in more vague, more abstract, but more final approximations. Ne observes issues that one can't confront.

Anyway, Fi is judging of relationships, and how to create them and maintain them. It is not judging of qualities. Se and Ne perceive qualities and may result in long-term negative perceptions of people. Ne perceptions are, if anything a whole lot more final, as unto judgments (though having nothing to do with socionics judging.)

I don't know of a person with high Fi who had any interest in creating a BAD relationship with anyone. As long as IxFj concentrates on their Fi they seem interested in keeping up and finding ways to advance a relationship, despite issues.

For example, in this thread jriddy did something that was perceived by Minde as not good but she found a way to approach jriddy and attempt to find a constructive solution. If jriddy continues to demonstrate qualities and actions that Minde finds requiring correction, it will become more difficult to maintain such a relationship and if Minde's attempts continue to result in nothing good, Ne will start to suggest that there may be something deeply wrong with jriddy and it's just not a good idea to have any kind of a relationship with him at all, a sort of final silent giving up. (Though sometimes this giving up is not quite so silent, sometimes it's a vocal cry of desperation, and even then it may not be quite so final, if the state of Fi is restored.)

Anyway, the judging of objects is Te and Fe. It tends to be ENFjs who are most known for their fiery rhetoric against individuals or groups that they find to be completely evil and worthy of their ire. While I don't think an INFj or ISFj is necessarily incapable of doing the same thing, I don't see how they would have any use for Fe given their lifestyles.

Also, it causes ME no problem to JUDGE jriddy with Te, DESPITE that I PERCEIVED that what he said was kind of funny.

In relation to that I'd like to note that the person known on this forum for bannings is ExTj. I OTOH didn't even put jriddy on ignore though it might be that I should have.

Again, quite willing to take criticism.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne and Se are both ways to perceive problems. The difference theoretically is that Se is short-term, immediate concrete issues that one can face immediately. It tends to result in confrontations. Ne results in more vague, more abstract, but more final approximations. Ne observes issues that one can't confront.
    Why more final?

(Thank you for answering my questions, by the way.)

For example, in this thread jriddy did something that was perceived by Minde as not good but she found a way to approach jriddy and attempt to find a constructive solution. If jriddy continues to demonstrate qualities and actions that Minde finds requiring correction, it will become more difficult to maintain such a relationship and if Minde's attempts continue to result in nothing good, Ne will start to suggest that there may be something deeply wrong with jriddy and it's just not a good idea to have any kind of a relationship with him at all, a sort of final silent giving up. (Though sometimes this giving up is not quite so silent, sometimes it's a vocal cry of desperation, and even then it may not be quite so final, if the state of Fi is restored.)
    That is basically correct in terms of the process. (A not-directly-related side note stemming from a separate conversation: BTW, Tom, this here is a good example of tying the theory closely to practice. This is the kind of thing I look for when someone is explaining something theoretical to me - an example of how it would actually work. That way it can be cross-checked with reality.)

And, for the record, what I ended up saying was a bit more toned down (and hopefully diplomatic) than my initial reaction, which was basically -->

Also, it causes ME no problem to JUDGE jriddy with Te, DESPITE that I PERCEIVED that what he said was kind of funny.
    To be honest, I was mainly upset for your sake, though I actually would like to keep things relatively on-topic. If you don't mind it, however, then I will try not to do so either, not on a personal level, anyway.

That makes me quite happy.

Creepy-Cyclops

I had a thought.

It seems that a lot of times, ISFjs are (or can be) compared with INFjs, or other types I suppose, and called unforgiving and accused of holding grudges, etc.
    Going to put out a few points here. I'm not sure if I will digress too much into the theory part - it seems to be covered somewhat (and I'm kinda getting a bit bored with theory aspects of socionics just now.) but I might do...as an irrational dynamic type I reserve that right

First of all, you are looking at ISFj's and INFj's holding grudges. This reminded me of something I had posted a few months ago. In regards to this. I thought it may be useful to you. Ritella also commented on it, and being an INFj herself, I think it may be useful:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...4&postcount=40

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...1&postcount=41

----------------------------

essentially (from the above two posts: )

Originally posted by Cyclops

I find INFj's are more easier to forgive you, and ISFj's can hold grudges for longer. But you're more likely to know an ISFj is annoyed.

Originally posted by Ritella

Yes.

Also, maybe it depends on the context. I think INFJs have a better idea of what is "profitable/beneficial" (being intuiters), so they may come across as more head strong in discussions about what to implement.
    ISFJs, OTOH, have a better idea of how to actually get something done (and stick to it), so they may come across as more head strong in the actual implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Minde
    I suppose this might seem obvious, but I think it's the Se. Se is about physical, external, concrete reality, right? So, when someone does something, there are consequences. Sometimes those consequences are nice, sometimes they aren't. To just let it go and pretend it didn't happen is in a way ignoring Se. So ISFjs have to take what happened into account, because it is reality. Otherwise I'm not sure they'd be ISFjs.

That, combined with the static mindset, means that "this is the reality of the situation; and we have to live with it". Add to that the Fi aspect, people related, and you have the makings for what is often called "holding a grudge."

So, while ISFjs can hold onto reality and the consequences of decisions, they are not necessarily unforgiving or unkind. In fact, I would think that they could be quite good at knowing how and being able to shift the reality to help alleviate the consequences, or at least make them turn out better, especially for people they care about.

That's all I have for now
    Let's look at some of the 'socionics' behind it :-)

What does Fi function tend to do/display itself?
    It:

-describes one's feelings and attitudes toward things and people
    -influences on feelings
    -feelings
    -describing relationships between people as a constant factor
    -describing psychological distance
    - links (between people)
    - evaluations that include oaths or insults
    - constant traits; personality and character traits
    - evaluating people's behavior

DOMINANT FIELDS OF ACTIVITY AND CONVERSATION:
    - relationships between people
    - evaluating people (personality and character traits) and their deeds and conduct
    - evaluating the motives behind behavior
    - empathy; the ability to feel what others feel and understand their motives

In short, for Se, one aspect of Se is power and energy which can manifest as struggle and resistance. So I would say that it is easier for ISFj's to hold a grudge - in this respect their willpower is stronger that they can see it through. (Where an aspect of Ne is to realise possibilities.)

Anyway. As I understand it (and in my experience) Delta types typically tend to be kind hearted at least in comparison to Beta/Gamma, so it is perhaps more difficult for them to hold grudges: It's generally easier for them to forgive.

Not to mention that Delta NF's tend to try to give people (individuals) the benefit of the doubt (where as Beta NF's tend to give ideologies the benefit of the doubt.)

My experience of Se is that one way it manifests is that it can be quite good at keeping "putting the boot in" when a person is down.

And my experience of ISFj's is that they believe people should be punished for their wrong doings. This sort of punishment in my experience tends to be more severe than an INFj's version of punishment (who may just ignore you until you apologise, or at least an apology which is genuine). An ISFj are more likely to believe in more severe punishments (like cutting you off completey - I have observed this with an ISFj and someone else IRL) And an extreme could well be the belief capital punishment for instance. (Where as an INFj - generally speaking of course - would tend to prefer the person is rehabilitated with the hope they can integrate into society again some point in the future.) - belief in the individual.

My brothers wife is an ISFj. I see what looks to me a certain ruthlessness that can manifest in her in comparison to my friend who is an INFj. (I'd rather not give examples if that's OK.) So yeah I think this comes through from their value judgements into Se, among other things stated. (Which is not to say she isn't a 'good' person, because I believe she is and I like her very much.)

--------------------------------------

Also, on the subject of holding grudges, I don't know if it's entirely fair to label a whole type with something, but I do think the above patterns emerge (and it's what I've seen.)

For a better look at the subject in general, I recommend this:

(A grudge is a deep seated feeling of resentment or rancour.)

And can be placed along a spectrum such as Spectrum

--------------------

Related stuff:

Why is holding a grudge heavy?

"Holding a grudge feels heavy because it takes so much work to maintain it. You have to think about it every so often, remember why you still have it, bring up feelings of grudge-ness (?), make yourself feel mad...Oh yes, it takes a lot of work to keep a grudge alive!

And the usual problem with most grudges is that you can't do anything about them but call them back into your mind. And the longer you keep them, the more likely they are to rot in your mind and affect other feelings and other memories as well, until before you know it your entire attitude is one of grudge-keeping, anger, resentment...not to mention that you can't do anything to change anything, which makes it even worse!"

----------------------------

Summary

Wow I've written a lot. Basically, holding grudges does not appear to be generally healthy. However someone strong in Se is going to have the willpower and energy to be able to maintain the grudge better than someone with weak Se. So an ISFj has the capacity (in terms of socionics) to hold a grudge for longer than an INFj.

(I've put a few things in here, it seems your question was a little open ended so I've typed a few more things that a specific answer. Seems you are seeking knowledge on it or the subject in general.)
    Last edited by Cyclops; 01-21-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can they perceive someone to be wholly worthless with Se. Fi is their judging function(which judges is something good or bad). Fi is the one who tells them that it's worthless. Se just tells them what's happening infront of them with no judgement involved. Nor is it good nor bad, it just happens.
    The qualities of objects are always extrovert functions. Fi can't judge whether something is good or bad. Se can. Ne can. Fe can. Te can. Fi can judge what kind of a relationship one has with a subject and how to mold it.

Of course, as it is the Fi what makes them to judge you bad(or good) in the first place.
    See above.

So basically, she comes to you in the cafeteria, admeasures you using mainly her Se, perceives that your hat is on your head which is bad in her Fi-system-of-value-judgements, then she blurts on you to take your hat off. (Why she blurts on you immediately I do not know, maybe being tactical has something to do with it). So now your hat is taken, she scans you again and sees your head being naked. And now everything is OK because that's good in her Fi-system-of-value-judgements. Why is she suddenly the warmest person ever I do not know. Maybe being tactical has something to do with it.
    It seems to me that you are advocating that the person has a deep-seated valuesystem against hats in cafeterias. I am arguing that she just had a knee-jerk reaction towards something that she disliked. I think my choice is more likely. Anyway, I don't think that the kind of structure that you are advocating is completely impossible, I just think it is quite a bit rarer than the knee-jerk reaction. And anyway, the kind of thing you're suggesting takes a significant amount of time to happen. She would've had to spend a while really thinking about how to correct her relationship with people with hats and decided that the best choice is to attack them on the spot. Admittedly, possible, but I don't think that's likely.

OK, but bear in mind that Fi isn't just forgiving, cupcakes and naptimes. It can have it's ugly face also(which rarely, if almost never, appears ugly to the person who is using it).
    It has far more consistent weak and not so nice effects than the one you're stressing here. But I think those qualities are beyond the scope of this conversation.

Pretty much agreeing with Cyclops on most things. There is something that I'd like to point out about his message but can't due to prior obligations towards an involved person.

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be constructive - as I know you can be - or please don't post in my thread. Thanks.
    *Experimental data received*

Hmm...this seems like an interesting way to describe Ne and Se, albeit from a very Te perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant Pterodactyl
    Anyway, Fi is judging of relationships, and how to create them and maintain them. It is not judging of qualities. Se and Ne perceive qualities and may result in long-term negative perceptions of people. Ne perceptions are, if anything a whole lot more final, as unto judgments (though having nothing to do with socionics judging.)

I don't know of a person with high Fi who had any interest in creating a BAD relationship with anyone. As long as IxFj concentrates on their Fi they seem interested in keeping up and finding ways to advance a relationship, despite issues.
    I'm not sure about Ne perceptions being all that "final." If anything, I would think that would have to do more with temperament than Ne vs. Se. In fact, being an Fe-seeking Ne type I feel makes me inclined to see Ne data as the "access points" for inner change.

Quote Originally Posted by Why does your avatar guy look so sad?
    Is it Ne that would suggest that? Because most Alpha Ne types probably would not regard my levity as indicative of a deficiency of character or anything like that. In fact, not taking things too seriously tends to endear me to other alphas more often than not it would seem. Contrastingly, I have found that my natural personality really bothers most Fi-IxFjs. ISFjs seem to mostly avoid me, and I them. Fi-INFjs, on the other hand, try to "correct" me, which I find to be highly moralizing and presumptuous even when I try to understand that they have the best of intentions. At my last place of work, my Fi-INFj boss used to harp on me about "dependability and hard work" in a tone that I found to be quite condescending and for reasons that made no sense to me. It's not that I think that he was holding a grudge so much as he was unable to trust me as he was expecting my more ostensible behavior (Te) to bely inner qualities (Ne) that allowed him to trust me (Fi).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feel-good
    Anyway, the judging of objects is Te and Fe. It tends to be ENFjs who are most known for their fiery rhetoric against individuals or groups that they find to be completely evil and worthy of their ire. While I don't think an INFj or ISFj is necessarily incapable of doing the same thing, I don't see how they would have any use for Fe given their lifestyles.

Judge away. I can take it. Who knows, I might find it to be quite a turn on. I do hope you understand that I mean no personal offense. Frankly, I can't trust people who can't take a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Biscuits
    In relation to that I'd like to note that the person known on this forum for bannings is ExTj. I OTOH didn't even put jriddy on ignore though it might be that I should have.

Thanks for not putting me on ignore. I like to get all productive about 2-3 times per moon cycle.

Hugs and Kisses,

Riddy

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    How can they perceive someone to be wholly worthless with Se. Fi is their judging function(which judges is something good or bad). Fi is the one who tells them that it's worthless. Se just tells them what's happening infront of them with no judgement involved. Nor is it good nor bad, it just happens.
    I don't think that just because Fi is a "judging" function, that it is the one which makes the determinations of good/bad, worth, etc. Because you have too look at its operational nature; not its title. Fi (like Ti) is about invariant relations between objects; it is implicit and more immutable than not (as it establishes internal 'cores' of sorts). I would actually expect Se to be more prone to assessing someone's worth (similar with Ne), because it is a function that deals with forms, content, and properties of discrete entities. (unlike Ne), the way it registers data (not assesses), is by gauging immediately observable qualities about the thing at hand; like holding a ball in your hand and judging its latent 'physical' attributes. This type of understanding is very concrete, with a preference for past experience, rather than potential for different contexts. Where Fi comes in, is in determining the subject's internal connection with the given person/object. "This is who they are, this is who I am, and they combine like this" -- an internal state is reached, thus you know what the 'nature' of that relation is. So, Ne and Se are about the properties, while Ti and Fi will assess the relationships.

Of course, as it is the Fi what makes them to judge you bad(or good) in the first place.
    Not really. Anyone can judge good or bad; that is too general an idea to be attributed solely to one function. The functional preferences will simply color one's determination of these qualities.
    Last edited by strrrng; 01-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Fi, despite judging something about a person as 'good' or 'bad', will create a relationship regardless. For me at least, everybody has both but if the good is more prevalent, the relationship is positive; if the bad heavily outweighs the good, the relationship is negative.
    That makes decent sense.

Where I think Ne and Se comes to place in all of this is for an INFj, the good is weighed by the potential (this person wants to be good, not as bad as they seem, they didn't mean it, etc) while for an ISFj, the good is weighed by what has been observed and experienced (the person did this). In this perspective, one can see how INFj-Fi 'turns' ISFj-Fi and vice versa!
    This is exactly right. INFjs will always see more latent potential in people, which can possibly be brought out in a new context. Whereas ISFjs are much more definite in their assessments of people; maybe less broad in their appraisals, but what they do conclude is always very reliable information.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    In short, for Se, one aspect of Se is power and energy which can manifest as struggle and resistance. So I would say that it is easier for ISFj's to hold a grudge - in this respect their willpower is stronger that they can see it through. (Where an aspect of Ne is to realise possibilities.)
    While I am hesitant to attribute things like willpower to Se, I think this idea is generally valid. Since an ISFjs assessment of someone will be based off of concrete qualities derived from past experience, and assimilated into an implicit connection between them, I see their judgments as being much more peremptory, and thus, rendering them much less likely to care about changing their views on someone (i.e. if someone does something and they decide the person is 'bad', they will just cut them off; only consistent experience can alter this judgment). So, I think that is how they can seem to hold onto things for longer -- simply because they don't care about potential; what is real has been manifested.

Anyway. As I understand it (and in my experience) Delta types typically tend to be kind hearted at least in comparison to Beta/Gamma, so it is perhaps more difficult for them to hold grudges: It's generally easier for them to forgive.
    I tend to disagree. They may be more open to variations of peoples' qualities, growth, etc. But I don't think they're friendly; they can be pretty vindictive, underneath the calm exteriors. They appear to have 'silent hierarchies' at times, where, while they will assess a person's potential with Ne, they will still have an implicit judgment of 'where they fit' (Fi), which is concomitant to their ostensible behavior and accordance to 'proper' action (Si context and Te processes).

Not to mention that Delta NF's tend to try to give people (individuals) the benefit of the doubt (where as Beta NF's tend to give ideologies the benefit of the doubt.)
    This is correct, and a very interesting comparison. This is EXACTLY how I am with ideologies, and why I believe I can never be very certain of things. The internal trends and processes (NiFe) are crystal clear to me, while the actual nature of the things (Se) and where they 'really fit' (explicitly - Ti) is a bit more scattered, so more often than not, I find myself unable to draw any definite conclusion. I would think delta NF's would obviously see the internal properties and relations of and between people, and notice that the ostensible processes which should be accorded with (TeSi) can be affected by these qualities, so a final judgment on what a person 'is', is unlikely, only because those 'states' shift to balance out the processes.

My experience of Se is that one way it manifests is that it can be quite good at keeping "putting the boot in" when a person is down.
    There's probably something to this. Se wants to see your concrete, tangible worth; it gauges you to see if you can 'move' effectively, in a sense. So, if you're down, it may keep 'putting the boot down' because it believes that is necessary to determine what latent physical qualities you harbor. With betas, this takes an almost callous turn, because these concrete qualities need to be structured within the hierarchy, so if you "pussy out" you may simply be eliminated (woohoo mafia).
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy
    Hmm...this seems like an interesting way to describe Ne and Se, albeit from a very Te perspective.

I'm not sure about Ne perceptions being all that "final." If anything, I would think that would have to do more with temperament than Ne vs. Se. In fact, being an Fe-seeking Ne type I feel makes me inclined to see Ne data as the "access points" for inner change.
    My description of Ne and Se was correct to my knowledge only in so far as it relates to the IJ temperament. For ENTps I would rather call Ne ephemeral, flighty and glorious and Se as brutal, intense and impactful... amongst other things.

Is it Ne that would suggest that? Because most Alpha Ne types probably would not regard my levity as indicative of a deficiency of character or anything like that. In fact, not taking things too seriously tends to endear me to other alphas more often than not it would seem. Contrastingly, I have found that my natural personality really bothers most Fi-IxFjs. ISFjs seem to mostly avoid me, and I them. Fi-INFjs, on the other hand, try to "correct" me, which I find to be highly moralizing and presumptuous even when I try to understand that they have the best of intentions. At my last place of work, my Fi-INFj boss used to harp on me about "dependability and hard work" in a tone that I found to be quite condescending and for reasons that made no sense to me. It's not that I think that he was holding a grudge so much as he was unable to trust me as he was expecting my more ostensible behavior (Te) to bely inner qualities (Ne) that allowed him to trust me (Fi).
    I agree with all of this. My prior comment causes no paradox with this. Both are true as far as I know.

Judge away. I can take it. Who knows, I might find it to be quite a turn on. I do hope you understand that I mean no personal offense. Frankly, I can't trust people who can't take a joke.
    Were I to meet you face to face, I'd take a joke quite easily. I'd probably like you a lot more in person. I've worked for two ENTp bosses and enjoyed both of them. Anyway, thanks, I really appreciate what you did here. I feel like I owe you one ( a small one, but nevertheless).

Thanks for not putting me on ignore. I like to get all productive about 2-3 times per moon cycle.

Hugs and Kisses,

Riddy

LOL@Vagrant Pterodactyl

It's a shingouz. Look it up, you'll find something good.

@Why does your avatar guy look so sad?

To cancel out my shiny happy people name.

@Dr Feel-good

I thought you would've chosen Strangelove.

@Sausage Biscuits

WTF? Anyway, thanks and have a good one.

Sausage Biscuits

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ESI just spent 20+ minutes talking to me about something that is still bothering him.

Basically, he feels like it is to the point where "there's nothing more he can do", and "It's basically up to the other person".

I think to some extent, but dominants are that way, when they get into grudge mode or potential grudge mode, they sort of sit back and wait for the other person to make their move - to put more information into things. They see the other person as responsible for creating new interactions, generating more data for them to interpret.

Back to him, though, he basically has described a few key events that are very significant to him. Particularly, in this case, there is one incident that changed the tide on how he thought about someone. Since that time, he's felt adversely about the person. He hasn't totally cut the person off yet, but, he's at the point where he firmly feels like it is up to the other person to apologize or otherwise.

He also has said things like "well, if they ever need anything from me down the road, forget them". Etc.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this. Well said.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... can you guys over-analyze things any more further? A grudge is a grudge... there's not much more deeper meaning than that. Almost everyone holds grudges.

Although, I would say that IXFXs in general hold grudges a lot. Particularly INFXs, but I don't really know any ISFjs. Well, let's just say that they can be petty and punitive . They are the silent fumers.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is related to Se perceiving things "as they are", weak Ni perceiving only what has been + Ne PoLR shortcoming in visualizing how things "could be" changed and improved. Like calenwen wrote, it's not that ISFjs hold grudges but that they don't always know how they can change and improve things from that point on: this has happened and now it's a fact of my life. INFj reaction is different in that this will try to say something that has the potential of improving the relationship.

... [for] an example of ESI Ne PoLR works live, read the OP to this thread. There is a lot of dwelling on Ni and Fi, ethical analysis of past actions, without considering the positive future potential.

ESI (Ne PoLR): This is what has happened, this is my past. It was full of mistakes and personal failings. This is where I am now. What will happen from this point on makes me feel fearful and apprehensive (it will disturb my present stable state).
    ILE (lead Ne): Don't get stuck on the past - instead think about all the positive potential that your present holds! Think about things that could happen and how your situation could change.
    ESI: [feels awkward because he/she cannot lucidly conceptualize it, and edges towards the exit]

I think Ne PoLR is best described as an inability to visualize and describe all the "could be's" and "might be's" and a deep running insecurity when the ESI/LSI gets pulled out into this zone.

The difference between LSI and ESI Ne PoLRs is that ESI doesn't consider positive future potential while the LSI doesn't consider negative potential. Thus ESI runs him/herself into a corner and begins complaining about not seeing a positive future, while the LSI keeps running around making mistakes and getting bruises from life, and also complains about how life is bringing him down.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mmm, I have a question. Maybe @Maritsa can help.

A problem I have myself is that I am prone to holding grudges. I'm not sure if this relates to what's been said in the thread, but I do try my hardest to not hold a grudge against someone.
    I usually go by the phrase "Forgive but never forget," because quite literally, I can't forget.

If someone wrongs me once or turns me off, it is hard for me to look past it and to forget it. I can remain civil in interaction with these people, and truly try the hardest I can to forgive them,
    but my brain will always send me snapshots/memories of what that person did to me that turned me off. It just happens naturally and there is nothing I can do to control these flashbacks
    from coming back.

So essentially I will forgive these people and engage in conversation cordially but will have a hard time looking past what they have done to me, secretly.

Is this in relation to Fi in IXFj?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post

A problem I have myself is that I am prone to holding grudges. I'm not sure if this relates to what's been said in the thread, but I do try my hardest to not hold a grudge against someone.
    I usually go by the phrase "Forgive but never forget," because quite literally, I can't forget.

If someone wrongs me once or turns me off, it is hard for me to look past it and to forget it. I can remain civil in interaction with these people, and truly try the hardest I can to forgive them,
    but my brain will always send me snapshots/memories of what that person did to me that turned me off. It just happens naturally and there is nothing I can do to control these flashbacks
    from coming back.

So essentially I will forgive these people and engage in conversation cordially but will have a hard time looking past what they have done to me, secretly.

So emotional vengefulness is: throwing a fit and hitting the target where it hurts them the most. IEI does this. I don't know honestly if what I've said has hurt an LSE before

IEI gives more demands than an EII would.

EII don't use cruel sarcasm as a means of mocking or playing around with people and IEI uses this quite often. Some people are unaware of that because they are not programed to view people as being cruel hence the LSE is programed to EII ethics of not using cruel sarcasm as a means of getting back, but because they are unaware of it they don't see it working so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Some sayings that hurt someone who has ethics of relations in their suggestive block are "You're such a cruel and callous person. This is why you're not liked by anyone." Because they want to be liked by people and have or dream of having deep emotional relationships.

"Here, truly, how to be stupid not to realize that on you being bullied? One is already making fun of him and convinces intellectual limitations of his partner. However, the fact that the essence of the fun of not captured Stirlitz - it is also quite natural: as in this case was conducted too thin and accurate sniper psychological game. "

I believe that is related to your Ni. I've read many situations where IEI has a hard time letting go and sometimes actively engages in blackmail and other revenge schemes. Everyone gets hurt and has moments of these thoughts. I don't see EII moving in action past saying some words of regret. I do have moments of Ni recollection of the past event but EII are programmed to be gentle. That is what kills out vengeful actions. Because EII want emotional stability they will crawl back to somewhere comfortable and loving. I know when I suffered the lies and manipulation of the previous relationship that I had I wanted all his cruel and ugly friends to crawl back in the same hole as him as to LEAVE ME ALONE so that I could brush the emotions off and learn to heal myself and move on. Find a pleasant and comforting place. I didn't want to use any measure of revenge or vengefulness, blackmail or elaborate schemes, those things only create more dramatic emotions in my opinion also they are wrong morally as well as destructive to the very concept within ourselves that we call LOVE. Other than getting my stuff back, which I didn't sadly. But I can recreate what I've lost and have something nice for myself.

Fi is orientation to preserve the norms and ethics of relations. As an Fi I don't have to have a relationship with someone who is not nice in a place just because I'm in that place. That's not fair to anyone. Everyone else needs to be nice too, in conjunction.

Ethics of relations in Delta has moral implications and guidelines like: no one has the right to speculate on their weaknesses and play on someone else's generosity. (AKA don't take advantage of someone); everyone pays according to his deeds, not by his claims.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 01-28-2016 at 02:37 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Take a guess
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@yeves, I can categorically confirm the following...

... [for] an example of ESI Ne PoLR works live, read the OP to this thread. There is a lot of dwelling on Ni and Fi, ethical analysis of past actions, without considering the positive future potential.

ESI (Ne PoLR): This is what has happened, this is my past. It was full of mistakes and personal failings. This is where I am now. What will happen from this point on makes me feel fearful and apprehensive (it will disturb my present stable state).
    ILE (lead Ne): Don't get stuck on the past - instead think about all the positive potential that your present holds! Think about things that could happen and how your situation could change.
    ESI: [feels awkward because he/she cannot lucidly conceptualize it, and edges towards the exit]

I think Ne PoLR is best described as an inability to visualize and describe all the "could be's" and "might be's" and a deep running insecurity when the ESI/LSI gets pulled out into this zone.

The difference between LSI and ESI Ne PoLRs is that ESI doesn't consider positive future potential while the LSI doesn't consider negative potential. Thus ESI runs him/herself into a corner and begins complaining about not seeing a positive future, while the LSI keeps running around making mistakes and getting bruises from life, and also complains about how life is bringing him down.
    Where the hell was all this when I was trying to type myself

Quote Originally Posted by Resonare
    My depression is based on my prospective future. I don't want to elicit sympathy from anyone but I have a condition which is not too much of a problem right now but will be one day and I have already resolved myself to end it at that time. I've spent 3 years of my early 20s in what many in this age would consider isolation because of this. I was born different and every time I accept my abnomalities a new one appears as if life itself enjoys spiting me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonare
    Yep, I would say that I tend to live in the near-future and that I only think about the negative long-term future possibilities and I generally ignore the positive. If I see a long-term negative future prospect and if I can't prevent it then it just makes me depressed and unwilling to participate in life until it has passed. Unfortunately for me, what I'm dealing with won't come to pass for a long time and I find myself unable to live my life in this time between now and then, with "then" most likely being the end. This is why I wanted to make it clear that I'm depressed and my type may very well likely not be what it appears to be on the surface.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm going to assume you are IEI and I think this actually has to do with Se seeking and Fi demonstrative. Your valued 1D Se makes you secretly want to get back at people, but you find it much more natural to act through your 4D Fi and maintain good relations with people even though deep down this is not something you care about. It is exactly in these sort of situations that SLEs complement IEIs as they will take it upon themselves to kick whoever's sorry ass upset the IEI without giving a second thought about the wrong doings of his actions. If SLE lands in hot water doing so IEI can use their strong ethics to smooth out the situation.

Actually I think I have an idea for a new thread regarding the relationship between the demonstrative and dual seeking amongst other types.
    Last edited by Muddy; 01-31-2016 at 01:48 AM.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy moly is this a trip down memory lane. I really miss some people.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

........ but I think it's the Se...............
    Minde,

Partially, ISFj is a moralist (Fi) with a reductionist (Se) view of the world. They feel that their behaviour and ways are best, and want to be treated as they would treat others. When they aren't, they look at the maltreatment from a simple, basic, physical perspective. They do not look at extenuating circumstances or any global issues; they were simply hurt. The problem is that they will not initiate 'clearing the air' and other parties may not know the ISFj is hurt. It isn't that the ISFj wants to hold a grudge, it's likely that s/he is in stasis with hurt feelings and it may appear like a grudge is being held. The ISFj needs to be led out of the protective cocoon that s/he has created; s/he needs the holistic situation explained in words that have meaning to an ISFj, which is the reductionist view. ENTj is good at doing just that.......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hold grudges but I don't really ~hold~ them. I can be totally in love with someone and be nice to them but talk shit about them and find ways to fuck them over at the same time. The grudgey feelings can come and go, too. Is that creative Fi vs. dominant Fi?
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bled View Post
    I hold grudges but I don't really ~hold~ them. I can be totally in love with someone and be nice to them but talk shit about them and find ways to fuck them over at the same time. The grudgey feelings can come and go, too. Is that creative Fi vs. dominant Fi?
    Same with my sister in law. When she hates someone that person would never know it in interaction with her whereas I show my sad feelings. She's like you. I just express my sadness to friends in search of someone's support and love, kind words and affection. I don't have vindictive qualities but I can express thoughts that not pleasant. I don't talk shit about them. I just express my own feelings. A true grudge is from people who can't forgive. If I'm sensitive and find that I can't emotionally relive the same kind of stress and abuse I won't talk to the person again. So it's best to keep good relations with me and be nice to me. That's not holding a grudge. That's just saying I can't handle that so not going to do that. A grudge to me is not letting go of negative sentiments and reliving them. I let go of the negative feelings but I can't let go of the personal pain. If the person apologizes to me for the negative offense I often go about as if nothing happened after it. I guess it's a value that one should (here's my self-righteous judgement ) express apology for things that they are truly sorry for having done wrong or hurt your feelings. Some LSE will not want to lose merit or don't want to be seen as wrong but truly they were and an apology is needed not just a situation ignored then everything resumed as if no one was bothered. That's wrong....pretentious me

A grudge is holding a poker face and not talking to the person to clear things out. I think that ESI can, SEE can and there's only one person ever that I won't talk to so maybe Ne creative to a far lesser degree
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

@squark above relates to one of your recent posts. Maybe it will help you deal with bad for you relationships
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Minde,

Partially, ISFj is a moralist (Fi) with a reductionist (Se) view of the world. They feel that their behaviour and ways are best, and want to be treated as they would treat others. When they aren't, they look at the maltreatment from a simple, basic, physical perspective. They do not look at extenuating circumstances or any global issues; they were simply hurt. The problem is that they will not initiate 'clearing the air' and other parties may not know the ISFj is hurt. It isn't that the ISFj wants to hold a grudge, it's likely that s/he is in stasis with hurt feelings and it may appear like a grudge is being held. The ISFj needs to be led out of the protective cocoon that s/he has created; s/he needs the holistic situation explained in words that have meaning to an ISFj, which is the reductionist view. ENTj is good at doing just that.......

a.k.a. I/O
    I can see the similarities and differences between our two types here. I do a lot of "I did this wrong therefore of course this happened in this way" and "he was in a bad situation and of course would behave that way" I see the plenitude of extenuating circumstances and from all sides. When an isfj is scored by a lover who explains to them what they did wrong they can't accept it. It just isn't a go with them. Does this make sense?
    -

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maritsa,

I find that IFSjs don't tend to look beyond their personal pain whereas INFjs usually look at extenuating circumstances (if any) surrounding the wrong. This doesn't make INFj desire for retribution any less. All Ijs have that I-will-never-let-this-happen-to-me-again protection mechanism; however, Se prefers that the perpetrator be neutralized or gone, else the hurt will remain, whereas Ne seems to be able to better compartmentalize and bury the hurt, but even if the perpetrator were gone, they will revisit in their minds that compartment forever. Unlike INFj, ISFjs seem to need help ensuring that their defence mechanisms do not get in the way of their own lives. INFj seem to have the ability to help others in this area....

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    Maritsa,

I find that IFSjs don't tend to look beyond their personal pain whereas INFjs usually look at extenuating circumstances (if any) surrounding the wrong. This doesn't make INFj desire for retribution any less. All Ijs have that I-will-never-let-this-happen-to-me-again protection mechanism; however, Se prefers that the perpetrator be neutralized or gone, else the hurt will remain, whereas Ne seems to be able to better compartmentalize and bury the hurt, but even if the perpetrator were gone, they will revisit in their minds that compartment forever. Unlike INFj, ISFjs seem to need help ensuring that their defence mechanisms do not get in the way of their own lives. INFj seem to have the ability to help others in this area....

a.k.a. I/O
    I just want an apology. Yes I am stubborn and I'll continue doing the things I like no matter how much I get hurt. I'm stoic too allowing myself to continue in difficult circumstances

from coming back.

I may not have answered your question. No. the sad feelings will be brushed aside easily in 99% of cases as though the event never happened and a much harsher one will be delt with escape until the person apologizes.

What Fi in infj, infj will rationalize the person's personal circumstance in most of the cases.

I'll give an example. My building manager is LSE and she hated my SEE sister in law and was really awkward with me too. She would voice negative opinions about Mexican Americans and such to probably persuade me to not like my sister in law. I kept silent and listened to her neither showing agreement or disapproval. Most people may have come to hate her or scorn her for her excessive and rude gestures. I kept silent because she was going through a very tough time. Her husband was dying of cancer and she was the care provider. She was in an emotional hell hole. She hurt my feelings too on numerous occasions where I would go home and try to unwind. The information never sunk in. The next day and following day for a year this went on. After all of this and her husbands death she fell into depression. I slowly made friendly advances. One day I got her strawberries and she took them great fully and asked what made me consider getting them for her and I said "because your husband got you them and you said you like them" I think show of friendship despite her negative tones with me helped her connect to someone and make her feel better.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 04-12-2016 at 02:24 AM.
    -

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Yeah, I think this is a good description. When someone does something to wrong me I won't hold a "grudge" in the sense that I will hold it against them forever and never forgive them or move on, but I will never forget what they did and will keep it in mind when deciding whether or not to confide in them/trust them again and it will definitely alter our relationship in my mind, although I doubt this alteration is noticeable to anyone but myself.

Edit: This doesn't mean that I will dislike the person who has wronged me forever or that I'll never forgive them or confide in them again. I have no problem forgiving someone and moving on, but somewhere in my brain there will always be the reminder of what they did and.... Blah, this is hard to explain.
    I think you are not ESI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast