Thread: I should be doing something

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I should be doing something

I really should be doing something, but it's midnight on Tuesday. Someone could be sad right now, someone might be worried about a test tomorrow, maybe someone can't sleep because their neighbors are having really loud sex. I have studying to do, but it feels like a waste of time. Someone needs help right now and I can't do anything about it. I can't concentrate! What can I do! I feel like I'm going to explode!

...Maybe I should hit the gym more often.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work on proving (or disproving) Goldbach's conjecture.

You could also spend some time musing about all the different sorts of people in the world and how the seriously left-out ones would be included in society to whatever extent is reasonable.

Make a list of everyone who needs help and maybe give it to an ESE later.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm I don't think I could be the one offering quiet support. If I do make a list, it would be to give to an ESE, but then it would be her job to make sure I stick with it when I'm running around helping everyone. This 4 subtype model really piqued my interest because I can see how my relationships with ESEs have looked more like LIE-ESI with me doing all the moving and shaking and her doing all the relationship maintaining and offering me a swift kick in the butt every now and then. I always end up being the outgoing and sunny one and it's so much easier to maintain when I know someone has my back.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    hmm I don't think I could be the one offering quiet support. If I do make a list, it would be to give to an ESE, but then it would be her job to make sure I stick with it when I'm running around helping everyone. This 4 subtype model really piqued my interest because I can see how my relationships with ESEs have looked more like LIE-ESI with me doing all the moving and shaking and her doing all the relationship maintaining and offering me a swift kick in the butt every now and then. I always end up being the outgoing and sunny one and it's so much easier to maintain when I know someone has my back.
    What? You're sure those are ESEs, not ESIs?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all in the name of Fe, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azeroffs View Post
    You seem pretty LII-ish to me. Definitely alpha.
    I'm more certain of my alphatude than anything else about my type. I'm just discovering new aspects of my personality. I'm learning so much!

I think I need an emotional reaction to be spurned into action. Like if I see someone getting really frustrated or sad or something, then my eyes perk up and I rush in to help. So if you think of being emotionally kicked in the butt, then I get that. I rarely decide anything based on my relationship to someone, and if I do it's with much grumbling.

Anyway, the point is I want to help people, I want to be liked, I want to inspire others to help themselves, and I can't do any of that when I'm sitting on my ass in front of a computer!

There's no doubt I'm Enneagram 3 either. The thing that was throwing me off is that I tend to aim for less tangible goals.
    Last edited by electric sheep; 10-15-2009 at 07:32 PM.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a hobby?
    start volunteering.

Or, if you have to, join some WOW guild if you're one of those game-community-inclusion types.

Maslow's right, you know....

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck humanistic psychology.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    get a hobby?
    start volunteering.

Or, if you have to, join some WOW guild if you're one of those game-community-inclusion types.
    I'm working on getting a hobby, but I have to be able to use it to impress people. I'm pretty good on drums in Rock Band lol. That always wows 'em. I'm looking at volunteering, but I'm kind of awkward and I'm not really sure what I'd want to do. The whole process just seems really daunting especially since the chances of me convincing one of my friends to join me is practically nil.

I quit wow back in January.

I love humanistic psychology. I use it on myself all the time. I seem to be struggling at the "love and belonging" level.

AA/Carla: No one is required to have a positive outlook, but I'm seriously looking for something constructive here...
    The saddest ESFj

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck electric sheep
    The end is nigh

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Too many opportunities is such an awful thing! If you know you must try something and you are able to do so, just try anything! Though I know it can be difficult getting yourself psyched up to put yourself forward to something that you didn't have a strong preference for!

Creepy-male

I think I need an emotional reaction to be spurned into action. Like if I see someone getting really frustrated or sad or something, then my eyes perk up and I rush in to help. So if you think of being emotionally kicked in the butt, then I get that. I rarely decide anything based on my relationship to someone, and if I do it's with much grumbling.

Anyway, the point is I want to help people, I want to be liked, I want to inspire others to help themselves, and I can't do any of that when I'm sitting on my ass in front of a computer!
    You make Fi sound like it turns people into the Terminator.

I'm an IEE right? I thrive off other people's negative emotions. Looking all miserable and insecure is the way to get me to help you, even if you're only a vague acquaintance.

Lesson learned: Gul is a jackal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    You make Fi sound like it turns people into the Terminator.

I'm an IEE right? I thrive off other people's negative emotions. Looking all miserable and insecure is the way to get me to help you, even if you're only a vague acquaintance.

Lesson learned: Gul is a jackal.
    Well I was thinking of two really bad examples at the time. Ultimately I struggle the Most with Fi. I wish the world didn't have to be that way. I wish we could all just be happy together rather than worry about who is going out with whom, who is in the right cliques, who am I, who are you. I have to be on my best behavior around serious types. I don't really like paying lip service to their need for sensitivity. Usually I'm pretty good about it, but sometimes some unkind words slip out and by their reaction you would've thought I plotted to end our friendship over the past 2 weeks.
    Last edited by electric sheep; 10-15-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    The saddest ESFj

Creepy-male

Well I was thinking of two really bad examples at the time. Ultimately I struggle the Most with Fi. I wish the world didn't have to be that way. I wish we could all just be happy together rather than worry about who is going out with whom, who is in the right cliques, who am I, who are you. I have to be on my best behavior around serious types. I wish I could lead some kind of merry uprising that would disrupt the world's Fi based system. Nothing is more satisfying than disrupting the social order.
    I think Gamma is the "social order" Quadra, if only because they're more likely to police ethical violations than the hippy-ass forgive-and-forget Deltas. Fi in Delta is about having situational and implicit "rules" for dealing with people. I've never seen Fi measure "who's part of the right groups" (which sounds like Se+Ti), the explicit status of relationships (which is Fe, btw) or defining who people are.

Who are these Serious types you speak of? In what ways do you have to be on your best behaviour around them? Please give concrete examples.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the explicit status of relationships (which is Fe, btw)
    Worded that way, it sounds like Ti.

@electric sheep: I wasn't questioning your type, just theirs. I think it's plausible that you've mistyped some ESIs as ESEs, and you're interacting with them on their terms. This depends of course on how you know that they're ESE.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Felt lonely and came back.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Too many opportunities is such an awful thing! If you know you must try something and you are able to do so, just try anything! Though I know it can be difficult getting yourself psyched up to put yourself forward to something that you didn't have a strong preference for!
    ahh I want to so bad! I just don't think I have the staying power. That could change though. I can harness it!

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Gags at self-help and leaves thread.
    E3s invented self-help! One of the common traits of E3s is faith in one's ability to become better in order to achieve. That is why we are so inspiring! Though I guess there is such a thing as trying too hard to inspire someone.

I think Gamma is the "social order" Quadra, if only because they're more likely to police ethical violations than the hippy-ass forgive-and-forget Deltas. Fi in Delta is about having situational and implicit "rules" for dealing with people. I've never seen Fi measure "who's part of the right groups" (which sounds like Se+Ti), the explicit status of relationships (which is Fe, btw) or defining who people are.

Who are these Serious types you speak of? In what ways do you have to be on your best behaviour around them? Please give concrete examples.
    "who's part of the right groups" is an aristocratic point of view, but maybe it's a bad way of putting it. Maybe "if you're the right kind of person" is more delta. I haven't had to deal with it lately, so I'm not really worried about it. It's just a small anxiety I have. I'm trying to not blame types for this, it's probably not coming from any specific type of person. I know a few LSEs that I'm on good terms with... until we start telling each other jokes... then it's apparent that we can never be very good friends, so we keep our distance until we cross paths. Once I understand their sense of humor, I know the proper distance to keep. I think I just need some dual action. That would probably make the "social order" more bearable. Otherwise I just start all kinds of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Worded that way, it sounds like Ti.

@electric sheep: I wasn't questioning your type, just theirs. I think it's plausible that you've mistyped some ESIs as ESEs, and you're interacting with them on their terms. This depends of course on how you know that they're ESE.
    I've met some blatantly obvious ESEs, and while I can engage them and be friendly and joke around, I just can't see myself with them, and I think I rub them the wrong way. I met someone recently. She's a little shy when we're around people, but when it's just us she can hardly stop talking. We have similarly detached views towards people, and we can laugh at just about anything. She was almost expressionless when I first met her, but she made all kinds of subtle, excessive movements that stood out to me for some reason. The way she talked maybe? I can make her laugh, and she's really funny herself, so that's all that seems to matter right now. (well that and a few other things that I wont mention here )

I know types. I always get a strong gut reaction from them. I think this is where my sense of humor really shines as a sort of "test" for people. I have some humor that is anti Se and I have other humor that is more anti Fi. I can usually judge from the reaction how well the person would get along with me. The less I have to filter my jokes, the more confident I am in the person, and the more confident I am in their type. I can joke around with ESIs most of the time, but I usually find myself being more careful than usual. It's not perfect though, LSIs usually don't give me bad vibes like other Se types.
    Last edited by electric sheep; 10-16-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    The saddest ESFj