Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga for Beginners

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Question Yoga for Beginners

Anyone know any good videos or articles about yoga techniques for beginners? I'm looking to develop a pre-workout routine and I'd like to incorporate something that will improve my flexibility and range of motion. I'm stiff as a board, lol.

@Kim, I think you recommended some stuff to me before but I can't find it.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I started with this one. He has tons more, so check out his channel.

I also really like this one, but maybe not for total beginners?

Also check if local community centers off free classes.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Creepy-theticalanti

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Anyone know any good videos or articles about yoga techniques for beginners? I'm looking to develop a pre-workout routine and I'd like to incorporate something that will improve my flexibility and range of motion. I'm stiff as a board, lol.

If you're really going for it, I'd suggest getting one of the videos if you have a TV you can work out in front of. Personally I couldn't see myself just doing yoga for 20 minutes by myself, but if I'm following along to a video with people doing it, then I can do it. It's less boring that way.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Sorry for crashing the thread, but a quick question for Yoga lovers: Is Yoga maybe in general more of a Delta thing? Or does it have anything to do with a specific temperament?

I've suffered through a few lessons and it's been pure torture for me, specifically the "relaxation" part of it of just laying on the floor and relaxing specific body parts on command. I could never ever relax like that or "think of nothing". So I didn't understand how so many people can find it calming and enjoyable, it just made me ten times more nervous than before. So I was wondering whether this is my personal issue or is it somehow connected to types?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    If you're really going for it, I'd suggest getting one of the videos if you have a TV you can work out in front of.
    Better yet, upload a vid of yourself in tight yoga pants, CPig. Namaste. KEK.

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Sorry for crashing the thread, but a quick question for Yoga lovers: Is Yoga maybe in general more of a Delta thing? Or does it have anything to do with a specific temperament?
    Yoga is largely ineffective and a joke of a workout. Only part(s) I would recommend is the cleanse part. So whoever is doing yoga, does it on their own responsibility. Funniest part is, there were patients with back pain who were suggested to do yoga, facking LUL.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys! I don't know if I'm actually going to go through with yoga just yet. My friend (currently studying for her certification as personal trainer) has recommended me some stretches that will target my trouble spots and loosen up any tight or binded muscles.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've suffered through a few lessons and it's been pure torture for me, specifically the "relaxation" part of it of just laying on the floor and relaxing specific body parts on command. I could never ever relax like that or "think of nothing". So I didn't understand how so many people can find it calming and enjoyable, it just made me ten times more nervous than before. So I was wondering whether this is my personal issue or is it somehow connected to types?
    my iei boyfriend is really into yoga. he says after he does it he feels good for hours. but he also doesn't see much value in meditation for himself so maybe its a different kind of yoga...i don't really know anything about the various styles.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks, guys! I don't know if I'm actually going to go through with yoga just yet. My friend (currently studying for her certification as personal trainer) has recommended me some stretches that will target my trouble spots and loosen up any tight or binded muscles.
    Lame.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Yoga is largely ineffective and a joke of a workout.
    You have never done serious yoga on a regular basis for a period of time, I take it.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    You have never done serious yoga on a regular basis for a period of time, I take it.
    I don't think he's ever done anything serious on this board. Don't encourage him to derail yet another thread with his bullshit.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like the relaxing part for a few minutes at the end to go inward for a bit (which I do not naturally do), but I prefer the active parts and fairly quick flows. I would never sit down to meditate (since @lungs mentioned her bf does not either).

I think my favorite part about yoga, besides feeling amazing afterwards, is to see how quickly you get a lot stronger and more flexible if you do the poses correctly (and the moment when you can actually get into the pose and hold it for the first time). Plus it really tones your body because it takes a lot of strength for certain types of flows.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't think he's ever done anything serious on this board. Don't encourage him to derail yet another thread with his bullshit.
    In this case were having a conversation about yoga, no?
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

In this case were having a conversation about yoga, no?
    That's what you think.

Anyways, I haven't completely written off the yoga deal yet. Once I've done the stretches she recommended for 4 weeks, I'll see where I'm at and then consider a routine maybe.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's what you think.

Anyways, I haven't completely written off the yoga deal yet. Once I've done the stretches she recommended for 4 weeks, I'll see where I'm at and then consider a routine maybe.
    You are overthinking this. Just pull up the first video up there and do it. This does not require elaborate planning. I think you are intelligent enough not to strain anything or injure yourself.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I like the relaxing part for a few minutes at the end to go inward for a bit (which I do not naturally do), but I prefer the active parts and fairly quick flows. I would never sit down to meditate (since @lungs mentioned her bf does not either).

I think my favorite part about yoga, besides feeling amazing afterwards, is to see how quickly you get a lot stronger and more flexible if you do the poses correctly (and the moment when you can actually get into the pose and hold it for the first time). Plus it really tones your body because it takes a lot of strength for certain types of flows.
    Oh I see, I totally get what you like about the exercise part of it and I'm sure it does wonders for the flexiblity and the overall body appearance. I personally prefer stuff like aerobics or running (if I'm doing the workout tortue in the frst place, I want to burn as many calories as possible in a shortest period of time and be done with it ). I think my Yoga courses just had the unusually long relaxation/meditation parts for some reason.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh I see, I totally get what you like about the exercise part of it and I'm sure it does wonders for the flexiblity and the overall body appearance. I personally prefer stuff like aerobics or running (if I'm doing the workout tortue in the frst place, I want to burn as many calories as possible in a shortest period of time and be done with it ). I think my Yoga courses just had the unusually long relaxation/meditation parts for some reason.
    I do yoga in addition to regular workouts. I do not consider it a *workout* or *exercise* although it has that effect as well. It is mostly that is makes me feel strong and calm afterwards and that my body and mind become strong and flexible and resilient? Something like that.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PS: I also did not start yoga seriously until I was in my late 30s. It might be a middle-aged woman thing, haha.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I do yoga in addition to regular workouts. I do not consider it a *workout* or *exercise* although it has that effect as well. It is mostly that is makes me feel strong and calm afterwards and that my body and mind become strong and flexible and resilient? Something like that.
    Yes, that's probably an ideal - to combine workout with for example Yoga or Pilates and also throw in some weights. I'm not that disciplined though, so I do what I can.

For some reason I know a bunch of IEE's who practise Yoga

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah the new age crap preaching crap.

I once did like a yoga work out with a teacher who was simply into the work out and showed you how to do it and it was okay, then I went somewhere else and the trainer was this annoying woman who was all about the philosophy and peace and niceness and calmness. After going twice I said 'I'm sorry, I don't think your yoga class is for me...'

I still get annoying emails from her mailing list...

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Ah the new age crap preaching crap.

I once did like a yoga work out with a teacher who was simply into the work out and showed you how to do it and it was okay, then I went somewhere else and the trainer was this annoying woman who was all about the philosophy and peace and niceness and calmness. After going twice I said 'I'm sorry, I don't think your yoga class is for me...'

I still get annoying emails from her mailing list...
    Haha I call people like this tree-huggers. Their calmness and saccharine kindness makes me

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cpig is there a particular kind of yoga you are interested in; hatha, kundalini,
    bikram, ashtanga, etc... I think this is something that you should pursue not
    just to increase your flexibility but also your mental awareness.

But I also think humans should run at least 3 miles a day so my opinion may
    not strike your fancy.

I will continue to promote your healthfulness regularly in this thread.

On that note, how are your daily stretches going? (:

Creepy-male

If you're interested in reading up on the philosophical and cultural aspects of yoga, read Patanjali's Yoga-Sutras. William Bryant's translation should suffice. For secondary texts, read Mircea Eliade's Yoga: Immortality and Freedom as well as the Yoga Body by Mark Singleton. I just finished a class on the history of ancient and modern forms of yoga, so these texts are a good start.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrangea View Post
    Cpig is there a particular kind of yoga you are interested in; hatha, kundalini,
    bikram, ashtanga, etc... I think this is something that you should pursue not
    just to increase your flexibility but also your mental awareness.
    Not really interested in this, so no there isn't a particular kind. I'm more into the tangible benefits to be gained, if any.

But I also think humans should run at least 3 miles a day so my opinion may
    not strike your fancy.
    Why not? I am going to get into running, too. I don't have high hopes for this, since my left knee is pretty fucked, but I figure if it starts to hurt I can always stop. I need to ease into it, though.

I will continue to promote your healthfulness regularly in this thread.
    Thanks! I need all the encouragement I can get, lol.

On that note, how are your daily stretches going? (:
    Lol, you caught me. I haven't exactly begun doing them yet. I meant to by now, but I haven't taken the time to look them up yet (she basically just gave me a list with what they're called and how many sets for how long, etc). She's been busy, too, so I haven't been able to get her on Skype to just run through them real quick. However, this is changing as of next week when I'm officially off of night shifts at work and I go back to a day schedule.

I imagine I'll be waking up at 4AM everyday, because a few of those days on my new schedule I have to be at work by 5:30, so this will give me plenty of time to go through a morning routine and still have enough time to eat breakfast and get ready for work.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol, you caught me. I haven't exactly begun doing them yet. I meant to by now, but I haven't taken the time to look them up yet (she basically just gave me a list with what they're called and how many sets for how long, etc). She's been busy, too, so I haven't been able to get her on Skype to just run through them real quick. However, this is changing as of next week when I'm officially off of night shifts at work and I go back to a day schedule.

I imagine I'll be waking up at 4AM everyday, because a few of those days on my new schedule I have to be at work by 5:30, so this will give me plenty of time to go through a morning routine and still have enough time to eat breakfast and get ready for work.
    Excuses and delays. I dare you to scroll up, start the first video I posted and do the first five minutes.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Excuses and delays. I dare you to scroll up, start the first video I posted and do the first five minutes.
    blah blah blah whatever woman

i accept full responsibility for my laziness

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah, I like to plan workouts too! Never actually do them, but i'm quite sure they'd be extremely effective!!

as for yoga, I have a great book on the topic, just can't check on the name now (since i'm at the office). Will do so (if i'm not too lazy to do) tomorrow/thursday.

if you're working out for muscle growth yoga isn't really that effective as stretching technique since it is more of a full concentration workout rather than "warm up material". However it's great to gain some focus and body awareness and flexibility (especially for N types who are usually not in their body).

Just my 10c

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

blah blah blah whatever woman

i accept full responsibility for my laziness
    Then say that you are lazy, not that you have not had time to look at things, skype, etc.
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Then say that you are lazy, not that you have not had time to look at things, skype, etc.
    I never said that I haven't had time, I said she hasn't had time. Nor have I taken any initiative to look them up on my own, which is completely my fault. I've had plenty of time, I just haven't done it.

I meant to by now, but I haven't taken the time to look them up yet (she basically just gave me a list with what they're called and how many sets for how long, etc).
    See? Nowhere did I say I haven't had the time. I just haven't taken it.

Anyways, I'm still taking positive measures towards my self-improvement in the way of a healthier diet and more regular physical activity. For example, I have an appointment downtown at noon today, and I've deliberately planned my bus trip to involve more walking than is actually necessary (while still arriving early).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My experience has been that yoga is best done with a professional instructor because they stand over your body and correct your posture in ways that you can't see or do because you don't have their perspective. When you learn those basics then I think videos may work. There are cheap classes that are by donation.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    My experience has been that yoga is best done with a professional instructor because they stand over your body and correct your posture in ways that you can't see or do because you don't have their perspective. When you learn those basics then I think videos may work. There are cheap classes that are by donation.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've noticed there's quite a few places offering yoga classes in my neighborhood. It's something I'll keep in the back of my mind.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some random thoughts:
    1.) Don't do yoga as a pre-workout. Yoga is wonderful for boosting mind-body connection ("yoga" is Sanskrit for "union"), improving flexibility, and building dynamic strength. But it's something that requires a dedicated place in your workout regime unto itself. Stretching before a workout can actually reduce strength and stability. IME, this has held true, with one exception: squats. In order to do a proper squat, I find I need to loosen my hip flexors somewhat before my first set in order to achieve parallel or "ass-to-ground" movement. I generally do a few very controlled dynamic stretches for squatting. Light cardio to warm up your body is a good option generally.

2.) Too much running is bad for you. To be fair, you have to be running over three hours a week to experience the detrimental effects, so you probably aren't in any danger, but just something to keep in mind. I know people who develop a taste for running and go overboard. But I'm probably just biased. I fucking hate running.

3.) Do a quick bit of yoga before bed. It's great for insomnia.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my laptop is called yoga. i have nothing to contribute to this thread.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my laptop is called "linda"

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Stretching before a workout can actually reduce strength and stability. IME, this has held true, with one exception: squats. In order to do a proper squat, I find I need to loosen my hip flexors somewhat before my first set in order to achieve parallel or "ass-to-ground" movement. I generally do a few very controlled dynamic stretches for squatting. Light cardio to warm up your body is a good option generally.
    @Capitalist Pig
    Animal's thoughts on stretching is accurate and while it is important to do warm-up sets before attempting work sets
    one thing to keep in mind when doing squats, if you ever even plan to do these, is to start doing your squats in the
    beginning with a little bit wider stance. Over time you can reduce the width between your feet, of course do not ever
    bring them too close.

Another good point Animal addressed is that yoga as a routine should have it's own place in a workout. However if
    you are going to run as you have stated you are I highly recommend taking a few of the yoga poses and using them
    to stretch after your runs. This will make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Animal
    Too much running is bad for you. To be fair, you have to be running over three hours a week to experience the detrimental effects, so you probably aren't in any danger, but just something to keep in mind. I know people who develop a taste for running and go overboard. But I'm probably just biased. I fucking hate running.
    I think you are a little bit biased. I generally run for at least an hour five days a week. Granted I have been
    running for a long time so this is something that I have worked up to. There are people out there who run
    100 miles a week and they live their lives fine. A lot of it is about having good form, good running shoes,
    and knowing your body and its limits. Another key proponent people forget when running or doing any
    sort of cardio is that it is important to know what you are putting into your body to fuel it and how that
    sustenance will effect your body.

A few years ago when I first got back into running I totally over did it. I would run two hours every morning.
    I suggest you do not do this even if you have the mental stamina. I ended up straining my hip flexor and
    it has taken me years to recover. Now, I have to stretch my hips both before and after I run. It was so bad
    in the beginning I wondered if I had cracked my pelvis somehow. Thank goodness that was not the case.

If you are going to run I also recommend not running on treadmills unless you are doing hill intervals or
    speed intervals. I ran on a treadmill for the first time in a long time about a month ago and the shock in my
    knees was quite literally jarring. I believe it was because I was running at a much slower pace than I am
    prone to. Always listen to your body when you run.

Since recovering from my period of over doing the running, I experience no detrimental effects from running
    and I run about 10 hours a week.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Capitalist Pig
    Animal's thoughts on stretching is accurate and while it is important to do warm-up sets before attempting work sets
    one thing to keep in mind when doing squats, if you ever even plan to do these, is to start doing your squats in the
    beginning with a little bit wider stance. Over time you can reduce the width between your feet, of course do not ever
    bring them too close.
    Also, making sure to keep your knees pointing outward on the concentric movement (on the way up) is subtle point of form I missed when beginning. Of course, with any of these big lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc.), it's best to start out under the guidance of someone who can teach you proper form. I started on my own and developed relatively good form, but there were some subtle deficits that weren't corrected for years until I consulted someone who really knew her shit (former Olympic lifter).

You can do pretty decently with just body weight exercises, if you don't want to lift weights, too.

Another good point Animal addressed is that yoga as a routine should have it's own place in a workout. However if
    you are going to run as you have stated you are I highly recommend taking a few of the yoga poses and using them
    to stretch after your runs. This will make a world of difference.
    Ah yeah, I forgot to mention this. Always stretching after a workout is good advice. There's conflicting studies about whether it actually prevents DOMS, but just speaking anecdotally-speaking, I find it does help prevent soreness the next few days.

I think you are a little bit biased. I generally run for at least an hour five days a week. Granted I have been
    running for a long time so this is something that I have worked up to. There are people out there who run
    100 miles a week and they live their lives fine. A lot of it is about having good form, good running shoes,
    and knowing your body and its limits. Another key proponent people forget when running or doing any
    sort of cardio is that it is important to know what you are putting into your body to fuel it and how that
    sustenance will effect your body.

A few years ago when I first got back into running I totally over did it. I would run two hours every morning.
    I suggest you do not do this even if you have the mental stamina. I ended up straining my hip flexor and
    it has taken me years to recover. Now, I have to stretch my hips both before and after I run. It was so bad
    in the beginning I wondered if I had cracked my pelvis somehow. Thank goodness that was not the case.

If you are going to run I also recommend not running on treadmills unless you are doing hill intervals or
    speed intervals. I ran on a treadmill for the first time in a long time about a month ago and the shock in my
    knees was quite literally jarring. I believe it was because I was running at a much slower pace than I am
    prone to. Always listen to your body when you run.

Since recovering from my period of over doing the running, I experience no detrimental effects from running
    and I run about 10 hours a week.
    lol, yeah I admit I am biased, and probably lookig for any excuse to avoid endurance running. I do love sprinting, though. I have generally avoided endurance running, and prefer high-intensity interval training, where I alternate very short, intense sprints with either walking or comfortable jogging until I recover. I think one's body composition (fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscles) might play a role in determining which you'll have a taste for. I recently watched this TED talk about selectivity among athletes for body type. It's was pretty interesting: http://www.ted.com/talks/david_epste...etter_stronger

But all the points you make are good ones and I could probably do with a bit more running than I presently do.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lecter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    Mine is called Apprentice. My desktop (in progress) is called Jedi. My WLAN is called ForceNet.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    Mine is called Apprentice. My desktop (in progress) is called Jedi. My WLAN is called ForceNet.
    Lol, mine is called Zorro.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another sweatshop brand mayhap? stay classy labby.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tell it to my QHD+ touchscreen with reclineable hinge and suck it up brah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast