Thread: Being SEI and hating factual incorrectness

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Being SEI and hating factual incorrectness.

I am having a hard time understanding how I can be Te PoLR and yet have a desire to correct people on their mistakes.

For example, If someone says that "The Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie came out in 2003.", I would tell them, "No, it came out in November 2002.", to that degree of accuracy. I seems to be related only to single facts and not a branching logical system like arguing the merits of socialized healthcare vs non-socialized healthcare.

Is that not contrary to the spirit of SEI?
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think these kind of facts are sensing-related, probably extraverted sensing? (which would be quite a strong function in ISFps too) Although I can bet you can do it more tactfully than an LSE or LIE.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you pointed out has nothing to do with
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    What you pointed out has nothing to do with
    Says you

Maybe I am just looking for a reason to stay away from baby.
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    I seems to be related only to single facts and not a branching logical system like arguing the merits of socialized healthcare vs non-socialized healthcare.
    wat

Apparently grammar is not one of them.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    interesting, I've seen this in myself too - though I don't think I necessarily have a "desire" to do this; it's just that something feels wrong about letting someone continue to believe something that's incorrect when I can do something about it. the thing is, I often feel unconfident (even if I have no "real" reason to be) and hesitant to do so - maybe sometimes worrying that I'm coming across like a jerk if I correct someone when they make an error like this, especially if it's just light conversation or something where no one "really cares". this feeling could make sense with me having vulnerable Te. in my experience Te egos don't really have this problem; as you're speaking they might correct you but they're not trying to be rude.
    Same. Although I do have one pet peeve: it's when someone corrects someone else's grammar and then makes a grammatical mistake themselves: "Your wrong. I think you meant to say..." Or when people over-correct: "Whom called this morning?" *shudders*
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think mostly people say stuff like this in chit chat and it's okay for them if it's not accurate. i sometimes wonder why every person i meet doesn't remember every detail of everything they've read/heard/studied. fucking extroverts.
    asd

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, i meant "it"

xD baby, those people are just looking for a chance to look important.

lol heath, it does seem a remember a lot of what I read. Is there a correlation between that and introversion?
    D-SEI 9w1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, i meant "it"

xD baby, those people are just looking for a chance to look important.

lol heath, it does seem a remember a lot of what I read. Is there a correlation between that and introversion?
    i think so, i think introverts have better focus, are good at low-stimulus activities like memorizing details subcounciously. this reminds me of people who tell you the same stories twice. HOW COULD THEY FORGET THAT THEY'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU?
    asd

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    i think so, i think introverts have better focus, are good at low-stimulus activities like memorizing details subcounciously. this reminds me of people who tell you the same stories twice. HOW COULD THEY FORGET THAT THEY'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU?
    lol exactly, my father does that a ton. Tells the same stories every couple months, and I hardly forget them.
    D-SEI 9w1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SEI Dad seems to get a real kick out of correcting people. He's really enthusiastic about it, although never mean, just more like "actually...". I strongly associate this with Alphas though.
    EII
    4w5, sp/sx

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
    My SEI Dad seems to get a real kick out of correcting people. He's really enthusiastic about it, although never mean, just more like "actually...". I strongly associate this with Alphas though.
    My SEI dad does this too!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah I think these kind of facts are sensing-related, probably extraverted sensing? (which would be quite a strong function in ISFps too) Although I can bet you can do it more tactfully than an LSE or LIE.
    I agree with this, memorization is more of a sensing function, remembering the detail, Te is more of How things actually work.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work as a proof reader. Troof.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

For example, If someone says that "The Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie came out in 2003.", I would tell them, "No, it came out in November 2002.", to that degree of accuracy.
    That's more like a factoid Actually I don't care about stuff like that. In practical sense it makes no difference if a movie came out at 2002 or 2003, the year just puts it in some spesific period of time. Like 80's movies ruled, 90's sucked or whatever It's more about understanding and using facts, not about rote memory. There's not any understanding required to remember a date.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Te does not monopolize factual accuracy.

And correcting people is fun and makes my dick feel bigger.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SEI's and IEI's are picky and skeptical about facts, empirical evidence outside their own experience or someone that is well trusted. So they will only accept either their own experience or very well-founded facts. This leaves them insecure and unable to use a lot of otherwise decent information.

They're a bit neurotic about incorrectness.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    SEI's and IEI's are picky and skeptical about facts, empirical evidence outside their own experience or someone that is well trusted. So they will only accept either their own experience or very well-founded facts. This leaves them insecure and unable to use a lot of otherwise decent information.

YES. This is exactly how I am. Perfect description.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    Mhm, all types feel that way.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Mhm, all types feel that way.
    Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion

I'm not much into correcting people, but I can confirm the rest! :-)
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having a hard time understanding how I can be Te PoLR and yet have a desire to correct people on their mistakes.

For example, If someone says that "The Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie came out in 2003.", I would tell them, "No, it came out in November 2002.", to that degree of accuracy. I seems to be related only to single facts and not a branching logical system like arguing the merits of socialized healthcare vs non-socialized healthcare.

I cannot think of any person who hasn't corrected someone else once.
    I'm not sure if it is strong related to type. For the rest, I have no opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I cannot think of any person who hasn't corrected someone else once.
    I'm not sure if it is strong related to type. For the rest, I have no opinion.
    Maybe we all do it, but I would be VERY reluctant to correct someone on a date (Harry Potter 2002 or 2003), unless I thought it important. Some types are probably better at helping others "save face" than others.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Jarno, this wasn't about me freaking out since I corrected someone once lol. I just really dislike people knowing wrong information, no matter how "important" it is. To me, knowing that boron has six valence electrons and knowing what dates the harry potter movies came out on are equivalent, simply because hearing them once is (usually) enough for me to remember it for a long time.
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... simply because hearing them once is (usually) enough for me to remember it for a long time.
    yes I remember that an SEI I know had a remarkable memory about the roads etc and his way around the city. I guess because of the SEI superior senses that they can keep track of sights, sounds and maybe...facts?

Do you remember everyone's birthday (friends family etc). For examply I only know the ones of my parents and that's it.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone told me their birthday, I can at least get the month right.
    D-SEI 9w1

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, knowing that boron has six valence electrons
    boron has three valence electrons

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    boron has three valence electrons
    I even looked that up to make sure I was right. :|

I think you know what I meant though. It needs six electrons to fill the valence shell.
    D-SEI 9w1

I even looked that up to make sure I was right. :|

I think you know what I meant though. It needs six electrons to fill the valence shell.
    Actually it would need 5 more

But it loses the electrons instead.
    Last edited by Warlord; 08-26-2009 at 05:07 AM.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boron is an exception to the octet rule. It needs 6.
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a desire to correct your spelling and punctuation mistakes in this thread. Anyway, I think we can safely type you LSE from this new information.

Boron is an exception to the octet rule. It needs 6.
    Actually the "expanded octet" model is in disfavor these days among bonding theorists; see for example this MadSci answer, that I wrote a few years ago.

Anyone who, using the Lewis/octet rule model, says that boron can have only six valence electrons is either wrong or incomplete. Electrically neutral boron (no formal charges) has three valence electrons; it can then covalently bond to three other things, each contributing another valence electron for a total of six. Thus boron is formally trivalent, with "six valence electrons" in compounds.

But, like any other first-row main-group element, boron prefers an octet. In neutral, covalent compounds that is done by some form of e lectron donation from another atom; but boron can also form ions of the form R4B-, such as the common organic anion tetraphenylborate. In such ions, boron is tetravalent like carbon (we say that it is isoelectronic with carbon) but because it has one less proton than carbon, it carries a negative formal charge.

Re: why is boron an exception to the octet rule?

INTp

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think XEIs can be great at remembering facts. Their Ti HA agenda can manifest with them trying very hard to look intelligent and understand things (and as they get older they can actually become very smart). One thing I like is that if I tell them something they remember it and will bring it up later once I've forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post

Yes. I know some XEIs who refuse to trust the information I give them, even when I've spent hours researching it.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)