View Poll Results: Do you believe aliens/extraterrestrials exist?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll believe it when I see one

7 13.46%
  • I do believe in aliens

23 44.23%
  • I don't believe in aliens

2 3.85%
  • I think we have made contact with aliens, the government knows, and they aren't telling the public

7 13.46%
  • I've seen a UFO/alien

7 13.46%
  • The men in black told me I can't say anything

4 7.69%
  • I am an alien

14 26.92%
  • I think aliens could actually be gods, angels, demons in history

10 19.23%
  • Aliens could be responsible for missing link

3 5.77%
  • Aliens could be real/we haven't made contact and/or it's not intelligent

17 32.69%
  • Aliens have made contact/government isn't hiding anything

0 0%
  • Other

9 17.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe aliens exist

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you believe aliens exist

Last edited by Aster; 07-19-2015 at 08:51 PM.

Creepy-male

Do I believe aliens exists? Like illegal immigrants... Sure. Like alien vs predator... No. Is it possible there is life on other planets... Yes. Is it possible they have contacted us and the majority of us don't know... Not very likely.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Duh, they exist. Given the size of the universe, it'd be ridiculous to say otherwise..
    Indeed, the universe is too immense for it to only have humans as "evolved" beings

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're arrogant enough to think something like us needs to exist, maybe because we're too scared of accepting the possibility that we're completely alone in the cold unfeeling cosmos.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I will explain my votes later, maybe. since the reasons I voted, the way I did, is probably not what you may think. It is more of an "inner" experience.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you mean aliens in general or aliens that have already visited earth? Specifically the theories that religious figures were aliens? Then moving onto aliens mixed their DNA with bonobos to create humans? As I think that is what ancient aliens refers to.

If so then no but they make entertaining stories until the brainwashing stalwarts get onto it.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think it's very likely organic compounds from comets/meteorites have reached earths and have perhaps introduced extra-terrestrial organic substances into the ecosystem, I won't believe intelligent aliens have reached earth, but there's a good bit of evidence and statistically its' quite possible in the last few hundred million years something of a life form hit this planet via a comet/meteor.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To super advanced extraterrestrials, I say doubtful. I suppose it's possible, but considering the age of the universe, it would be fantastical for life of that intelligence to have evolved in the 13 some billion years since the Big Bang.

Alien animals and species comparable to homo sapiens, I can believe it.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If amino acids can spontaneously form from organic molecules and propagate with fecundity on our planet, then in all likelihood it has done so on others. But no, I do not think that aliens have had a hand in any human culture ever. I've seen that guy's TV show, and all he asks are leaning questions with no real merit. Its all pure rhetoric.

Would be so amazing though, to encounter another species that is conscious of its own consciousness and reaches out across the empty universe to find other life. I think they would have had to solve the distance problem, as the known upper absolute limit in physics is the speed of light, and light is not fast enough to travel within the parameters that life must follow, which is another set of laws in physics.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just private.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    If amino acids can spontaneously form from organic molecules and propagate with fecundity on our planet, then in all likelihood it has done so on others.
    that's an idiotic generalization....just because human life occurs here neither increases nor decreases the likelihood of alien life forms.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes they exist, and they need to know that Jesus died for their sins.

aaa.jpg
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's that possibility. My thought is yes, until proven otherwise. Not seeing them doesn't mean that they don't exist, so I tend to dismiss "but you haven't seen them, so you're a loon for believing" comments that some throw out -- isn't it just as loony to claim the knowing the 'truth of non-existence' when you yourself have no evidence?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Of course they exist. Many of them are from Mexico.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe in the existence of anything outside my own town.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    that's an idiotic generalization....just because human life occurs here neither increases nor decreases the likelihood of alien life forms.
    Of course it does, but not directly as you are insinuating.

Just by the improbable fact biological life has occurred on Earth means statistically speaking the spontaneous ordering of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and carbon must have occurred numerous times on alien worlds throughout the Universe's history. Why? Because of the sheer volume of life supporting planets that actually exists in the known Universe. Some of them have been discovered in recent years.

If life arose here than in all likelihood it is actually a very common event, we just don't have the ability to perceive life's ubiquitous nature because we are limited by our natural faculties, such as sight, smell, intelligence as well as our technologies. These can extend our ability to investigate other worlds with vision never before seen, such as viewing the universe through a gamma ray, radio, or ultraviolet telescopes. Maybe some day we will have the capacity to directly observe organized organic matter on other worlds, but for now we rely on common sense: because life occurred on our planet, against all odds, then in fact it must be quite a resilient enough phenomenon to have occurred on other planets as well.

And when did I say human life exclusively? Why could not an alien life form evolve by process of natural selection and develop higher forms of intelligence, such as developing the ability to alter its own genetic destiny, or alter the physics of its planets and space to further their own evolution?

Humans are not the center of the universe, we are just a highly evolved form of great ape that likes to be clever. Is it not incredible that a form of life reaches out into space and ponders its own existence? Its incredible, actually.

Curiosity might not be the exclusive property of mankind.
    Last edited by wacey; 02-04-2015 at 03:45 AM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Americans are the real aliens in what was Northern Mexico.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    Of course it does, but not directly as you are insinuating.

Just by the improbable fact biological life has occurred on Earth means statistically speaking the spontaneous ordering of hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and carbon must have occurred numerous times on alien worlds throughout the Universe's history. Why? Because of the sheer volume of life supporting planets that actually exists in the known Universe. Some of them have been discovered in recent years.

If life arose here than in all likelihood it is actually a very common event, we just don't have the ability to perceive life's ubiquitous nature because we are limited by our natural faculties, such as sight, smell, intelligence as well as our technologies. These can extend our ability to investigate other worlds with vision never before seen, such as viewing the universe through a gamma ray, radio, or ultraviolet telescopes. Maybe some day we will have the capacity to directly observe organized organic matter on other worlds, but for now we rely on common sense: because life occurred on our planet, against all odds, then in fact it must be quite a resilient enough phenomenon to have occurred on other planets as well.

And when did I say human life exclusively? Why could not an alien life form evolve by process of natural selection and develop higher forms of intelligence, such as developing the ability to alter its own genetic destiny, or alter the physics of its planets and space to further their own evolution?

Humans are not the center of the universe, we are just a highly evolved form of great ape that likes to be clever. Is it not incredible that a form of life reaches out into space and ponders its own existence? Its incredible, actually.

Curiosity might not be the exclusive property of mankind.
    of course it doesn't....your argument is remarkably dumb.

picture an eskimo in the arctic saying: "there's polar bears here....that increases the likelihood of there being polar bears in other parts of the world."

see how stupid....your blind optimism isn't common sense and doesn't effect statistical likelihoods.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I did this before and scored higher. My interests have changed somewhat. hahah

http://pleiadesx.com/starquiz.htm

How Did You Score?
    Auto-Computed Score from above: 82

40 + ... You may have some ancestral roots in the Pleiades
    50 + ... You have some cousins out there
    60 + ... They are 1st cousins
    70 + ... You will be, or have been, contacted ~ do not be afraid -- it was for a family reunion.
    80 + ... You will have a special place in the 5th world, prepare for it.
    90 + ... Start preparing NOW! In some way they will connect you to your purpose.

Last edited by Aylen; 02-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I did this before and scored higher. My interests have changed somewhat. hahah

http://pleiadesx.com/starquiz.htm

How Did You Score?
    Auto-Computed Score from above: 82

40 + ... You may have some ancestral roots in the Pleiades
    50 + ... You have some cousins out there
    60 + ... They are 1st cousins
    70 + ... You will be, or have been, contacted ~ do not be afraid -- it was for a family reunion.
    80 + ... You will have a special place in the 5th world, prepare for it.
    90 + ... Start preparing NOW! In some way they will connect you to your purpose.

Nibiru is on it's way, didn't you see there was a .0083 seismic register along the Great Glen fault line which was really caused by the orbital probe crash landing and is awaiting reactivation from the more benevolent Greys?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    Nibiru is on it's way, didn't you see there was a .0083 seismic register along the Great Glen fault line which was really caused by the orbital probe crash landing and is awaiting reactivation from the more benevolent Greys?

I was in chat once, a few years ago. I think it was around the time Nibiru was supposed to either pass or hit earth. I forget the specifics. Everyone was talking about how they would react and this guy said he would make a sign that said "HithereNibiru" and hold it up in his front yard. It was a typo and I read it as "hit here Nibiru" so I asked why he wanted it to hit us. He said it was supposed to read "Hi there Nibiru". Not sure why that has stuck in my memory. I found it funny at the time.

YWIMW

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    of course it doesn't....your argument is remarkably dumb.

picture an eskimo in the arctic saying: "there's polar bears here....that increases the likelihood of there being polar bears in other parts of the world."

see how stupid....your blind optimism isn't common sense and doesn't effect statistical likelihoods.
    Polar bears are remarkably specific. Of course there are no polar bears in other parts of the Universe!

However, the basic chemistry that caused life to occur on Earth is extremely common. The base biological elements are found in abundance everywhere in the Universe. Astronomers are discovering planets that have liquid water, AND oxygen. Carbon and hydrogen are basically the most common form of matter in the Universe...so, you have all four of these elements, then no its not blind optimism, its realistic pragmatism that life exsists elsewhere.

Your stupid rebuttal is incredibly myopic.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planet Earth is a typical rocky planet in a typical planetary system, located in a non-exceptional region of a common barred-spiral galaxy. Are you familiar with the concept of mediocrity?

"if an item is drawn at random, from one of several sets of categories, its likelier to come from the most numerous category than from anyone of the less numerous categories ".

This principle is what I am suggesting when I say there is nothing very unusual about the evolution of our solar system, the Earth, organic life, humans. The idea is to assume mediocrity, rather than starting with the assumption that the phenomenon of life is somehow special, privileged, exceptional or unique to this planet alone.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scored 83. I believe in a lot of unorthodox things.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they exist, though not as intensively as I used to. sightings/contact are generally unreliable, not just because there are government projects which have overlap, but I still think there's something to them (although being abducted by greys is another matter). generally I would assume intelligence relatively superior to our own, and modes of communication/travel that exceed the bounds of our senses/normal perception.

I experienced something like contact when tripping 2ce for the first time. after about a capsule and a half, I basically reached a point of consciousness where I couldn't even seriously conceive of death, it was as if I was coasting on this kind of para-platonic level where all there was was pure, unadulterated reality. anyway I soon began seeing vivid shapes and figures forming, more as shadows/apparitions than actual objects, but what stood out to me was a weird, almost invasive sense of recognition... I don't know how to explain it other than consciousness recognizing itself. and that carried on, on and off, for about thirty minutes.

other than that I've seen a handful of UFOs, but am hesitant to believe they were (all) of alien origin.
    Last edited by strrrng; 02-07-2015 at 05:04 AM.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We live in the outer regions of the galaxy, far away from the interior. The interior is older than the periphery and has a denser concentration of stars; assuming that these conditions are amenable enough for a greater concentration of life to emerge, it's our best bet for finding civilizations that are more advanced than we are.

Further away from core, closer to the edge of the galaxy, we're more likely to find younger and less advanced civilizations than us.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: "statistics" and "math"

we are not the masters of the universe and our current understanding of nature on that scale ranges from extremely limited to delusional. how much do you think we know about other planets in our solar system even? embarrassingly little. we are still figuring out how black holes actually work. no idea why gravity decides to randomly defy the norm sometimes in far off objects / what dark matter or dark energy is / whether the universe is expanding or not. no idea whether carbon-based life is the only form of life that can exist, and what environments would it thrive in. you would think a species so advanced that they can make blanket statements about life being a statistical necessity would know these rudimentary facts about the universe, but hey math. alright.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Can they bring me food?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to believe aliens don't exist, but then I started believing in socionics so...

things I now believe to [possibly] exist:

-enneagram
    -a weird spiritual order to the universe
    -afterlife ?
    -aliens (??!)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

50:12 We created man. We know the promptings of his soul, and are closer to him than the vein of his neck.

86:11 For every soul there is a guardian watching over it. Let man reflect from what he is created. He is created from an ejected fluid that issues from between the loins and the ribs.

and that's from the Koran? way to put us in our place. kinda harsh.

YWIMW

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its always bugs me why most people who believe in aliens or whatever-its-out-there, thinks they are anthropomorphic. Like, what if they are like... wasp-alien-form of silicon or simply created from other elements. Anyway, I do believe in life outerspace. Source: I'm an alien (?).

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    its always bugs me why most people who believe in aliens or whatever-its-out-there, thinks they are anthropomorphic. Like, what if they are like... wasp-alien-form of silicon or simply created from other elements. Anyway, I do believe in life outerspace. Source: I'm an alien (?).
    I think that they would appear to someone in a way the person could relate to. I personally like the electric blue zig zag energy type of aliens.

Could this be true? I don't see why not. Perception is a funny thing.

YWIMW

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Aliens fucked monkeys and here we are.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    I used to believe aliens don't exist, but then I started believing in socionics so...

things I now believe to [possibly] exist:

-enneagram
    -a weird spiritual order to the universe
    -afterlife ?
    -aliens (??!)
    It's a slippery slope.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

OMG only when they bring me pizza
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perhaps we should first establish if there is intelligent life on earth.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    A good example of Ne PoLR. Almost textbook. To support again my ESI typing of you.
    always start your argument with a healthy dose of confirmation bias.

Our solar system has 8 planets and 5 dwarf planets. Of those 8 planets, we know for sure life is on 1, of course, out of the 8, and it's most probable that there was life on Mars as well (some scientists suggest this is proven, but we'll give benefit of the doubt, and consider this a 'maybe'). So you can say at least in our solar system, there was a 12.5% chance of life per planet, 1/8, and *maybe* a 25% chance of life per planet, 2/8. We're still buffooning around trying to conclude the existence of life on a planet right next to us; but even in our small sample set, we know there was a 12.5% chance of intelligent life. 25% chance *maybe* of some kind of life.
    if we're counting arbitrary quantities why not include asteroids, moons, and dwarf planets, some of which fall technically under our definition of "habitable", and exclude gas giants which technically could never host life? questions questions.

What if we applied that same ratio to other known solar systems within our Milky Way Galaxy?
    slow down carl sagan.

Well, our solar system is actually the largest with 8 planets. There are 2 solar systems with 7 planets (14 more planets), 2 solar systems with 6 planets (12 more planets), 15 solar systems with 5 planets (75 more planets), 49 solar systems with 4 planets (196 more planets), 98 solar systems with 3 planets (294 more planets), and about 300 solar systems with 2 planets (about 600 more planets). That gives a total of about 1,199 planets in 467 solar systems, or 1,191 planets outside of our solar system.

If we use the same ratio of 12.5% chance of intelligent life, as taken from the sample set of our very own solar system, and apply it to the rest of the known solar systems in the Milky Way Galaxy, we could estimate there are approximately 1,199*12.5%=149.9 planets out there with intelligent life in our area of the galaxy. Let's round down and say only 149. And there would be an estimated 1,199*25%= 299.8 planets with some kind of life.

Astronomers have found over 500 solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy, and that number is constantly growing as new ones are discovered. But here's way it gets crazy - those 500 solar systems are only in our small 'neighborhood' of the Milky Way Galaxy. Scientists estimate there are tens of BILLIONS of SOLAR SYSTEMS - possibly as many as 100 billion solar systems in our Milky Way Galaxy.

100 billion is a big number. That's 100,000,000,000. Most of us won't ever make that much money or dollars in our lifetime - but consider that each of those is a SOLAR SYSTEM with a chance of intelligent life. - so whatever $$$ you make in your bi-weekly paycheck, think of each dollar as an entire SOLAR SYSTEM with a sun just like our own, and a chance of intelligent life.

In our known solar systems, we have about 1,199 planets in 467, or about 2.567 planets per solar system. Let's apply that same ratio to the estimate of 100 billion solar systems in our galaxy, and we can estimate there are 256,700,000,000 planets in the Milky Way Galaxy. If we apply the same ratio of 12.5% chance of intelligent life, we can estimate there are 32,087,500,000 planets with intelligent life in the entire galaxy, or 64,175,000,000 planets with some kind of life.

The chances of the Earth being some immaculate exception are statistically extremely low. If my point hasn't been proven yet, here's where it gets even crazier. Astronomers estimate there are at least 100 billion GALAXIES in the observable UNIVERSE. So if we apply the same ratio of intelligent life from our solar system and the same ratio of planets to solar systems from our galaxy to other galaxies, we can estimate there are 32,087,500,000 (# of planets with intelligent life estimate) * 100,000,000,000 (# of galaxies in the observable universe to get 3,208,750,000,000,000,000,000. That means there are an estimated 3,208,750,000,000,000,000,000 planets with intelligent life in our universe, or 6,417,500,000,000,000,000,000 planets with some kind of life.

But what if the Earth is somewhat of an anomaly? What if the chances of having a habitable planet are smaller in other solar systems and in other galaxies? Well, logically, the chances of it being 'less' for things we don't know could also be the same likelihood that it could be 'more'. But what do the professionals think?

As of January 2013, the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics estimated that there are 17 billion, or 17,000,000,000 planets with Earth-like planets in the Milky Way Galaxy. (More than the estimates I gave above!) But according to researchers at the University of Auckland in April of 2013, there could be 100 billion, or 100,000,000,000 Earth-like planets in the Milky Way Galaxy. NOW - multiply that with their estimates of 500 billion galaxies in the universe (again, higher than the conservative estimates I gave above!), and that results in 50 sextillion habitable planets in the universe, or 5x10^22, or 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 habitable, Earth-like planets in our universe.

So what are the chances that the Earth is some special exception, considering there are an estimated 49,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 other Earth-like habitable planets like us? As you can see, Radio, the chances are MATHEMATICALLY, STATISTICALLY, extremely low.
    castles in the sky, because you don't understand how statistics work (see above) and you are basing your entire argument on a faulty premise. i get the general idea you're trying to convey, but i'm not forgiving that creative Ti of yours to get something so rudimentary so so wrong.

It's not really a question of IF there is intelligent life, but a question of WHEN we'll meet intelligent life besides us.
    yeah and there's an invisible immaterial unicorn dancing on my table but you can't touch, feel, sense or smell it. okay.

As you can see, Radio, your blanket dismissal of math and the probability of other life existing on other planets based on some blanket emotional assumption of 'arrogance' and 'delusion' is, well, as Starfall put it, actually more arrogant.
    sure, i am still making logically sound arguments with a basis in empirical facts.

Ne is defined by the Socionics Institute as "Capabilities, ability, guess, uncertainty, suddenly, polysemy, ability to see the gist, perception of the whole, inner structure, invention, chance"

and Ne-PoLR topics that break communication are "Superfluous information, vague perspectives, “what if?”
    not interested.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Scientifically, there isn't any way to know what the percentage of life would be elsewhere in the universe without actually finding life elsewhere in the universe. We may in fact never know.

Current estimates only look at earth like environments but we do not even know what the chance of life is in earth-like environments. So far it is 100%, but that is obviously a biased percentage. Is it 1/2, 1/100, 1/1,000,000,000,000? Again, we will probably never know.

Besides, there may be life forms that have evolved from unearth-like conditions. This is pretty hard to fathom and there is no way to accurately estimate a percentage.
    Last edited by Skepsis; 02-24-2015 at 03:59 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

YWIMW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast