Thread: Shaving

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shaving

So, I've consistently used Schick Xtreme3 on my face for most of my adult life but I'm thinking of trying something new. TBH, I'm kind've looking for a recommendation. What do you use, what's worked for you?

Discuss.

[P.S.] I'd like something tough enough to handle Mediterranean [i.e. epic] levels of hairiness. I'm not interested in any of that fine-haired Aryan crap.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're willing to put in the time to learn how to use it, I recommend an old-fashioned double-edged safety razor like this. The initial investment will be around $100US for the razor, pack of blades (you can get a pack of 100 for less than $10), brush, and shave soap. It will save you a lot of money in the long term, though, and is also much easier on your skin than the multi-blade cartridge razors because it doesn't lift the hairs to such an angle that it cuts below the surface layer of skin. (This is why many guys end up with razor bumps/burn or ingrown beard hairs.) There are many guides on Youtube to learn how to use them. The only downside is that it takes about ten minutes (once you get good at it) to shave with such a razor compared to maybe two minutes with a cartridge razor, but it can be kind of zen and relaxing to hone a delicate, old-fashioned skill a few times a week.

FWIW, I have a very thick (Indian) beard with a perma-shadow, but I've gotten consistently smoother, blood-free shaves after prolonged growth with my Edwin Jagger compared to my old Gillette 5-blade monster.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, that's just what I was looking for! a smoother shave with a steep learning curve to brag about.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pffffff who wants to shave when you can have a badass mullah beard

(i literally have shaved maybe 3 times in my life.)

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    If you're willing to put in the time to learn how to use it, I recommend an old-fashioned double-edged safety razor like this. The initial investment will be around $100US for the razor, pack of blades (you can get a pack of 100 for less than $10), brush, and shave soap. It will save you a lot of money in the long term, though, and is also much easier on your skin than the multi-blade cartridge razors because it doesn't lift the hairs to such an angle that it cuts below the surface layer of skin. (This is why many guys end up with razor bumps/burn or ingrown beard hairs.) There are many guides on Youtube to learn how to use them. The only downside is that it takes about ten minutes (once you get good at it) to shave with such a razor compared to maybe two minutes with a cartridge razor, but it can be kind of zen and relaxing to hone a delicate, old-fashioned skill a few times a week.

FWIW, I have a very thick (Indian) beard with a perma-shadow, but I've gotten consistently smoother, blood-free shaves after prolonged growth with my Edwin Jagger compared to my old Gillette 5-blade monster.
    Maybe i should try this for my legs...the multi-blades are murder on my legs! havent shaved in over a decade because of that.. I also have coarse, curly, ingrown-prone hair
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    Maybe i should try this for my legs...the multi-blades are murder on my legs! havent shaved in over a decade because of that.. I also have coarse, curly, ingrown-prone hair
    Sure, don't see why not. It's how women used to do it back in the day. Gillette used to make a women's razor called a Lady Gillette for this purpose. They aren't made anymore, but any mild DE razor like the Edwin Jagger DE88 should work just as well. Badger and Blade has a page on leg shaving and there are some videos on Youtube. It will definitely take considerably longer than with a cartridge razor, though. You generally have to do at least two passes (with the grain, to the side, and an optional pass against the grain) to get a smooth shave. Some women who try it get fed up with the time commitment, but if you only shave infrequently, it may be a good option.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you're willing to put in the time to learn how to use it, I recommend an old-fashioned double-edged safety razor like this.
    My dad uses that one! He has had it forever and ever.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    My dad uses that one! He has had it forever and ever.
    Yeah, I love that these razors will basically last you a whole lifetime (and beyond) of use. Much better for the environment.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, don't see why not. It's how women used to do it back in the day. Gillette used to make a women's razor called a Lady Gillette for this purpose. They aren't made anymore, but any mild DE razor like the Edwin Jagger DE88 should work just as well. Badger and Blade has a page on leg shaving and there are some videos on Youtube. It will definitely take considerably longer than with a cartridge razor, though. You generally have to do at least two passes (with the grain, to the side, and an optional pass against the grain) to get a smooth shave. Some women who try it get fed up with the time commitment, but if you only shave infrequently, it may be a good option.
    Thanks so much for explaining, Animal!
    sigh... knowing myself, i'll most likely fall into the camp of fed up women
    so sticking with the stinky cream it is...

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IBTL View Post

What do you know about shaving?!
    I cut my face with a knife-like instrument.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so much for explaining, Animal!
    sigh... knowing myself, i'll most likely fall into the camp of fed up women
    so sticking with the stinky cream it is...
    Maybe try an electric shaver? I've heard girls say they are gentler than the razors.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Have you tried waxing?

I just shave my legs because it's quick and easy for me, plus I have few issues if I use a clean razor. The downside is my hair grows super fast, so I have to do it almost every day unless I want prickly legs. I wish I could use hair removal creams, but they burn my skin so bad. I'm probably allergic.
    Yeah I love waxing, i used to wax, but then i got a MRSA infection from a waxing, so i'm scared now

I love how with waxing you can just forget about hair removal for a couple monthsl I may go back to it once the MRSA memories fade.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    What?! How did this happen??! I've never heard of anyone getting MRSA from waxing. What place did you get it done? Did they double dip with the sticks and not disinfect the skin before and after?
    Double dipping was what I was thinking since they do use the same wax over and over. The place I went to was really good. After years of brazilian waxes I hardly have regrowth in some areas which I am happy about. I did get a painful burn once but it healed quickly and left no scarring. It happened on a day when she was preoccupied with her children or something. She was very sorry for it. She wasn't going to charge me but I still paid. Mistakes happen.

Not sure if this is true but the woman who waxed me told me NOT to close my eyes. She said it increased pain. Before going to her I would close my eyes and wait for it to be over. It was way worse with my eyes closed. She would have me focus on an object and talk to her the whole time. I would also take two advil and a xanax before going. I didn't drive myself since I would be half loopy when I got there. It still hurt but I forgot about it faster. She really knew what she was doing.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    So, I've consistently used Schick Xtreme3 on my face for most of my adult life but I'm thinking of trying something new. TBH, I'm kind've looking for a recommendation. What do you use, what's worked for you?

Discuss.

[P.S.] I'd like something tough enough to handle Mediterranean [i.e. epic] levels of hairiness. I'm not interested in any of that fine-haired Aryan crap.
    weedwacker!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG OMG i just cant contain my excitement... i had to share this... figured in this thread would be appropriate considering our recent discussions!

So i got this thing called "Soften Her" because i was getting really painful swollen ingrowns as my hair was growing out after using the cream depilatory (same thing would happen to after shaving or waxing too), and i thought maybe "softening" my hair as it grows it would relieve the 1000s of needlepricks i was feeling just a few days out of hair removal. It's also touted to help with exfoliation, which i could always use more of.

So this thing came in the mail today, and figured i would try it on my legs with like maybe 5 mm of hair growth going on. I got to work rubbing my legs in small circular motions. Well, the skin started flaking off like crazy... i had no idea i had that much dead skin on board!!! it was pretty cool to see that, so i kept going and going. Suddenly i realized my legs were totally smooth, and the hair was GONE. Not softened.... GONE!! I guess this is gonna be my new hair removal method!!!

My legs have seriously not felt this amazingly smooth in a long time.... I guess i'll have to see how the regrowth goes, that's always the worst part.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i buy razors at random and cut my legs with all of them when i use them.

i don't really care. i forget about my wounds within minutes and the next time i remember, they're gone.

if anyone sees blood mysteriously dripping down my leg, i haven't a clue.

depilation is the bane of my existence. i kinda wish for post-apocalypse to have a level playing field .true story

Having said that, Suz your post is amazing. If my legs were that smooth ,I would leg brush men by mistake

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I want to stop shaving but it depresses me to think that my bf will be so disgusted. I can't help you with razors sorry.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG OMG i just cant contain my excitement... i had to share this... figured in this thread would be appropriate considering our recent discussions!

So i got this thing called "Soften Her" because i was getting really painful swollen ingrowns as my hair was growing out after using the cream depilatory (same thing would happen to after shaving or waxing too), and i thought maybe "softening" my hair as it grows it would relieve the 1000s of needlepricks i was feeling just a few days out of hair removal. It's also touted to help with exfoliation, which i could always use more of.

So this thing came in the mail today, and figured i would try it on my legs with like maybe 5 mm of hair growth going on. I got to work rubbing my legs in small circular motions. Well, the skin started flaking off like crazy... i had no idea i had that much dead skin on board!!! it was pretty cool to see that, so i kept going and going. Suddenly i realized my legs were totally smooth, and the hair was GONE. Not softened.... GONE!! I guess this is gonna be my new hair removal method!!!

My legs have seriously not felt this amazingly smooth in a long time.... I guess i'll have to see how the regrowth goes, that's always the worst part.
    That makes me imagine that the brush thing is like cursed or something so you start using it and all your dead skin comes off and then you keep using it and it doesn't feel painful - in fact it's kind of like giving yourself a soothing massage - and so you keep doing it and then live skin starts coming off and your leg turns a bit red but you don't notice cos it doesn't feel painful and then you keep using it and suddenly your leg starts bleeding but now the curse has fixed on and your hands can't stop so you keep rubbing the brush or whatever and suddenly you've grinded all your legs down to the bone through the flesh and through all the blood and then finally you've rubbed away your bones and they break little brittle pieces of ash and you're sitting there crying because there's nothing you can do.

I'm just saying... be careful...
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ClownsandEntropy View Post
    That makes me imagine that the brush thing is like cursed or something so you start using it and all your dead skin comes off and then you keep using it and it doesn't feel painful - in fact it's kind of like giving yourself a soothing massage - and so you keep doing it and then live skin starts coming off and your leg turns a bit red but you don't notice cos it doesn't feel painful and then you keep using it and suddenly your leg starts bleeding but now the curse has fixed on and your hands can't stop so you keep rubbing the brush or whatever and suddenly you've grinded all your legs down to the bone through the flesh and through all the blood and then finally you've rubbed away your bones and they break little brittle pieces of ash and you're sitting there crying because there's nothing you can do.

I'm just saying... be careful...
    and that is, in fact, what happened

ok i didn't get all the way down to the bone, but about an hour after i made that post, my legs started to tingle and burn a little, and had pink patches in some places (where i rubbed a little too much). I applied lotion to try to make it feel better, and it BURNED all over my legs... it was just cocoa butter lotion, usually feels awesome. The burning and redness subsided by the next morning, but later that day my legs started itching like crazy!!!! that night the itching even woke me up at like 3 am!! (this was 3am yesterday)

So yesterday i went to the store and bought aveeno skin relief lotion bc i was googling about itchy legs and people found good relief from it. After my shower last night, i slathered on probably a good 1/3 of the 8oz tube. It felt great. No more itching since then....

Although it was a torturous process, idk, maybe i needed that exfoliation... My stubble is growing in softer now...

p.s. it really did feel like a soothing massage when i was doing it!!!! lol

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and that is, in fact, what happened
    Just letting you know I didn't read beyond this because I'm a scawedy cat and have no stomach for gross or painful things.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IBTL View Post
    Putin LIE won't stand up for Slovak princess-like hair!
    who needs him then!