Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Why I want to stop drinking Milk

Well many reasons ....but one of the main ones and the one that's connected to my heart is the terrible treatment of cows in dairy farms. It is very difficult to ensure that Cows are not treated appallingly. Even supermarket branded 'organic' milk is not free range, meaning that the cows still get little to no time outside their tiny pens. You have to research any dairy brand to really check if the animals are being treated well before you buy the product.

In addition to this, the milk has to go through many chemical treatments due to the high levels of puss in the milk from untreated mastitis infections in the cows udders due to over milking.

*teared up when the calf is being wheelbarrowed away and the mother is chasing it despite just having given birth, so moving.

Milk does undergo treatments to make it 'safe' for human consumption, it needs to be heated to a certain level to kill off harmful bacteria... connection to women not being able to eat unpasturised cheeses here.

The thing is cows milk is intended for calves, calves have four stomachs and are made to be able to digest milk. There is a lot of speculation in some medical circles about the harmful effects of some of the micro bacterium in milk.

Despite all of this the majority of doctors will encourage you to drink it. I'm really fed up of hearing how 'good' the stuff is. I think it's a terrible industry.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know what is the problem. I stopped drinking it it when 6 years old.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on you, girl! I totally agree, there are so many issues with the idea of drinking cow's milk.

I switched to Almond Milk three years ago, although I'm not hardcore / snobby about it if I'm at a guest's and all they have is regular milk.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
    Good on you, girl! I totally agree, there are so many issues with the idea of drinking cow's milk.

I switched to Almond Milk three years ago, although I'm not hardcore / snobby about it if I'm at a guest's and all they have is regular milk.

Yes well I do buy various different types of milk and I do also buy the organic milk of whose farm I have checked and I will still have regular milk (regrettably) outside of home and if I have nothing else but I have been moving away from it slowly for several years now. Many of the alternatives are fortifyd with vitamins and calcium etc anyway so theres no real health concern. I hate that the local health authorities try to put the frighteners on people who want to make healthy and ethical choices. If they are so concerned that rickets and other deficiencies will occur they should spend more time on working through educating people with alternatives.

Also *Hi-Five*

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've cut dairy, and other stuff, from my diet because of allergies. The trickiest thing is that it's in absolutely everything, for no fucking reason at all. So when I do find stuff I can eat, it's the best thing. Almond milk is the best alternative, soya milk tastes funny and goats milk is the same thing. Not that goats aren't the superior animal of course.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ainfigur View Post
    I've cut dairy, and other stuff, from my diet because of allergies. The trickiest thing is that it's in absolutely everything, for no fucking reason at all. So when I do find stuff I can eat, it's the best thing. Almond milk is the best alternative, soya milk tastes funny and goats milk is the same thing. Not that goats aren't the superior animal of course.
    I have had hemp milk recently and that pretty good too.

InvisibruJim

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Don't leave some dairy products out of your menu. Ainumugfar, or whateever he is called just wishes for his gum disease and muscle cramps.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Don't leave some dairy products out of your menu. Ainumugfar, or whateever he is called just wishes for his gum disease and muscle cramps.
    My leg does keep cramping up actually, I didn't know that was connected. I best start upping my calcium intake.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My leg does keep cramping up actually, I didn't know that was connected. I best start upping my calcium intake.
    Yar. Doesn't matter if you "overdose". Excess is going to get excreted anyway.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do not need dairy milk for calcium, there are plenty of other natural sources and many dairy milk alternatives also have added calcium (and bit D and other vitamins too).

http://greatist.com/health/18-surpri...ources-calcium

InvisibruJim

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One doesn't. It is in root vegetables, broccoli, and of course dairy products...

Forget about supplements and various pills. Only pussies take supplements.

Besides, it is free, no need to pay for it...

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Almond milk is the way to go.

I don't give a fuck about how cows are treated, and it never really phased me when people talked about how milk is processed. But after a year of drinking nothing but almond milk, I just can't do whole milk anymore. It's not the same.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would eat pigs if they were treated poorly as well.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    Almond milk is the way to go.

I don't give a fuck about how cows are treated, and it never really phased me when people talked about how milk is processed. But after a year of drinking nothing but almond milk, I just can't do whole milk anymore. It's not the same.

Why did you start to drink almond milk though? I'm presuming you were not reared on it.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did buy dairy milk today at a farmers market and I did check out the farm, not in person but by talking to the people running their farm stall who assured me that if I were a Fresia on their farm I would be a very happy cow. They are free range.

I do believe that a lot of dairy is not brilliant for the digestive system and actually I think for some people it's pretty toxic others it's inflammatory and others still seem to be able to handle it much better. Certainly most of this is due to the way in which dairy produce is treated chemically and the way in which the animals are treated by people.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Geminatronix, I am totally with your OP.

About 5 or so years ago, I started consuming only free range grass-fed cow's milk (we have a couple of health-food stores that do have that). If the compassion for the cows doesn't mean much to people, they should also keep in mind that a badly treated cow is a stressed out cow who will be making a lot of cortisol (a stress hormone). The cortisol will get into the milk, and then people drink that, consuming a lot of cortisol themselves. Too much cortisol leads to Cushing's syndrome:

Despite drinking free range grass fed milk, however, about 1.5 years ago, i started breaking out with these awful cystic-acne like boils, one or two at a time, and I started itching all over, and having hives in different places. In my quest to figure this scourge out, I finally decided to try going dairy free (I was going through a gallon of skim milk a week, just chugging it, in addition to other dairy products), especially after I read that the way dairy cows keep producing milk is by being kept pregnant at all times, which makes the milk very hormonal, which can lead to acne. After a couple of weeks off dairy the itching got better, the skin got a bit better; then i went out of town on a business trip, and not being used to being dairy free, I relented and ate some dairy things. Well, whaddaya know... that night, i felt hot all over, felt itchy, my nose clogged up, I took an antihistamine and everything subsided. Despite the zyrtec, a couple days later i broke out all over my face (worse than before). After that happened I swore i would be dairy free, but every so often, i'll accidentally eat something with dairy in it, and wont realize it until i start itching really bad; then i'll go look at the wrapper or at the ingredients listing, or call up the restaurant, and SURE ENOUGH.

So, now I am stricter than ever... unfortunately i can't do what @applejacks does and be "polite" or conformist about drinking milk at a guest's house, because I am actually allergic to milk. I rely mostly on soy milk, as i dislike almond milk, except in baked goods or ice cream. And @Ainfigur I have also found that dairy is in freaking EVERYTHING!!!! I can't understand why prepared pot roast needs to have milk in it??? Or salt & vinegar-flavored almonds????

over months and months, my skin has gotten so much better. No more breakouts! The itching still happens from time to time, but is a lot better than it used to be (it may be that i am allergic to something else too that i haven't figured out yet).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milk used to be one of my major addictions. When I finally fully weaned myself off of it, no creams, no cheeses, no yogurt, etc, I discovered my pregnancy and the drs pressured me back onto milk and milk products. This was 18 years ago. And while I've removed most dairy from most my foods, I still struggle with cheese.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    (it may be that i am allergic to something else too that i haven't figured out yet).
    Have you tried cutting back eggs as well? Again pretty impossible to avoid but people report this as a big trigger for skin allergies.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eat eggs as well. Whole eggs.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eat eggs as well. Whole eggs.
    this has been me lately

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried cutting back eggs as well? Again pretty impossible to avoid but people report this as a big trigger for skin allergies.
    Thanks, maybe i'll try it! I just bought a whole fresh supply of eggs though... after I use them up i'll try an egg elimination diet.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hungry WA is hungry.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geminatronix View Post
    Why did you start to drink almond milk though? I'm presuming you were not reared on it.
    Ex-roommate. It's all she would buy, lol.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

@Absurd. I am not big on meat but damn I love the expression on that dog's face! It is almost as endearing as the @Anglas dog. heh

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's looks like it have been struck by lightning and meat is fine.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ex-roommate. It's all she would buy, lol.

not that i disapprove of your newfound love of almond milk because of it, but if it were my roommate, i just would have gone out and bought what I wanted instead of resigning myself to what she bought.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

not that i disapprove of your newfound love of almond milk because of it, but if it were my roommate, i just would have gone out and bought what I wanted instead of resigning myself to what she bought.
    We didn't have a traditional roommate arrangement. We structured household expenses more like a family, I guess you would say. So it wasn't like we each had a share in the bills and groceries, I was responsible for A, B, C, she was responsible for X, Y, Z. That kind of thing.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We didn't have a traditional roommate arrangement. We structured household expenses more like a family, I guess you would say. So it wasn't like we each had a share in the bills and groceries, I was responsible for A, B, C, she was responsible for X, Y, Z. That kind of thing.
    I hear you. Still, if i wanted regular milk and she only bought almond milk, I would have gone out and bought regular milk for myself. But perhaps you were perfectly content drinking almond milk and thus had no particular want for regular milk.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

It's looks like it have been struck by lightning and meat is fine.
    Yes it's fine but to me seafood is better. My brain must be swimming in mercury. That would explain a lot.

Edit: Forgot this and this

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I hear you. Still, if i wanted regular milk and she only bought almond milk, I would have gone out and bought regular milk for myself. But perhaps you were perfectly content drinking almond milk and thus had no particular want for regular milk.
    Pretty much, yeah. I'm generally open to trying new things, so it wasn't a big deal to me.