Thread: Being Observant

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Being Observant

What sort of details outside of yourself are you best at noticing or picking up on? I guess the extraverted functions are best for that. My Si seems to only pick up details as they relate to myself - otherwise I can be oblivious. I can be with someone a whole day and not be able to tell you what the person was wearing at the end of it - unless something about their clothes specifically grabbed my attention. I'm always aware of what's going on around me, but unless there's the need to react to something, the details just sort of continue past me. If they're not needed in the present, I guess they don't really register.

On the other hand, the things that I do immediately pick up on and remember without having to concentrate are people's emotions, looks, gestures - that sort of thing. The other day, some people came around to see my flatmates who were out. I told the people they weren't in, and they left without leaving a message. Later on, one of my flatmates was trying to work out who the people would have been - asking me questions about them. I said they were a couple with a little boy - then I thought that perhaps they had a girl, not a boy - couldn't remember which. I tried to picture the child in my head, but nothing came up. Then I started wondering if I had imagined that they had a child. Because there was a pram just outside the door - maybe seeing the woman standing next to the pram made me make the connection? lol Then my flatmate wanted to know what the woman looked like - was she huge? Uh, Idk - I was looking at her face. lol What I did remember clearly about the situation was that she looked confused and uncomfortable to see me open the door - don't know why - and the guy looked a bit grumpy. lol I would be a terrible witness.

So what sort of things do you tend to notice without trying?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How they are feeling, what they are wearing. I never remember words and if they are dressed very blandly I may forget that as well, but I am pretty good at picking up on how they are feeling. (Or how they look like they are feeling, if that makes sense.)
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to pick up on everything. If in that same situation I probably would have been able to describe the couple all the way down to the types and color of shoes they were wearing and what kinda car they were driving or if they walked away. Other things like how they reacted when I told them that my roommate wasn't there, what they said after...etc. would also be something I'd notice. Many things though, I may not recall directly but I'll pick my brain and pull out that info if/when I need it.

I will say though, I'm much more apt to observe and remember things by sight than by sound. I can hear a person's name when introduced to them and be looking at them and forget their name 2 seconds later. This happens much too often...lol.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have forgotten they came Unless I got into an interesting conversation with them or there was something specifically intriguing about them. Although, I'd still probably need some sort of trigger to remember to tell my roommate (which might just be seeing him or her). My memory recall tends to correlate with my enjoyment, or the reverse. I have no trouble completely reliving a particularly pleasant or unpleasant moment or conversation from my past word for word and moment by moment, but I tend to completely retreat into my head when I'm bored by something.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm yeah maybe i remember the way things are said, and exchanges.

I will notice textures of things, they can really bother me the way that some smells bother other people. For example, I notice differences in the environment. I notice patterns in things that are written. that scene in a Beautiful Mind where he can't stop seeing patterns in the newspaper, yes, I relate to that.

i had this radiatore in mind

http://food.aol.com/pasta-id-quiz

19 out of 24 correct. haha.
    Last edited by Ms. Kensington; 08-05-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mrs. kensington, i really want to cum on your face.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    mrs. kensington, i really want to cum on your face.
    I can't even figure out what to say, haha. That just came straight out of left field, in a thread about memory recall. Nice!

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 11:37 PM.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say i'm highly observant of alot of different things around me, but most specifically speech, actions and overall appearance. I've been told a few times(by the same person) that when i'm in conversation I appear to be looking past the person i'm speaking to and focusing more on the enviornment. Overall, I don't miss much.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    So what sort of things do you tend to notice without trying?
    I can't help but notice that your initial post is very long. And I am lazy to read it.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I can't help but notice that your initial post is very long. And I am lazy to read it.
    That's too bad. It was all about you and all the many wonderful attributes I've noticed about you as a person.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    That's too bad. It was all about you and all the many wonderful attributes I've noticed about you as a person.
    Awww, thank you darling. That's really flattering. My cheeks are red now.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Awww, thank you darling. That's really flattering. My cheeks are red now.
    i've got some swamp land to sell ya...ya interested?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I pay attention to smells the most and voices... not privy to anything in the outside world unless it looks pretty in a superficial, anvil-icious way. I'm shallow like that, I guess. Male visual brain? But yeah I have a bad habit of not really noticing things, also I've been told I'm too calm in an actual crisis and I overdramatize basic problems that everybody goes through.