Thread: Best Gift for Each Type

Creepy-theticalanti

Default .

Last edited by theticalanti; 02-29-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmmm. I'll start with the other alpha types.

SEI: A trip to some exciting event.
    ILE: Any object relating to what they are a fanboy of.
    ESE: A new pet or introducing them to a new board game.

Delta:

LSE: Your time and devotion for the day and a handwritten thank you note.
    EII: Fixing whatever it was they were complaining about.
    SLI: A new set of antiques or sporting equipment
    IEE: A party with lots of food.

Beta:

LSI: Money to buy something themself.
    EIE: A documentary or educational book
    IEI: Romantic movie or book
    SLE: Weight-lifting set

Gamma:

ILI: A new computer or set of tools
    SEE: Alcohol/booze or anything that is expensive
    LIE: A club membership
    ESI: Furniture or house appliances.
    Last edited by Muddy; 12-10-2015 at 06:58 AM.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE:

SEI:

SLE:

IEI:

Might do more later but this post is already obnoxiously large.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Lol I like jewelry
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like gift cards to my favorite stores, games (board and video), movies, music, money for clothes (don't buy clothes for me because they may not fit right), and chocolate.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Inspired by gifts that had success IRL

ILE: A bluetooth toothbrush (no no I am not kidding)

LSE: Planner-agenda

EII: skincare (you need to know the person a bit)

SEI: a cashmere sweater

IEE:
    Pink sneakers
    I may continue if people are interested...

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BIBLES.

(just kidding).

I like warm meals and useful gadgets.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LIIs like ponies.

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get journals or books for almost every birthday. It's gotten to the point that im scared i wont be able to use them all in this lifetime lol. But yeah journals and books and music.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I like useful things. I'd rather get a vacuum than a necklace.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    I like useful things. I'd rather get a vacuum than a necklace.
    Looks like I got it right when I said ESIs like getting household appliances. I feel like Nostradamus now hehe.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take me to the theater and dinner. Thanks.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEI art and/or craft supplies, tickets to fun event or theme park
    ILE chemistry set?
    ESE fancy makeup, jewelry, clothes, gift card so they can shop
    LII book on programming

IEI art supplies
    SLE good vodka
    EIE theater tickets
    LSI fine wine?

ILI cosplay stuff, a rare edition of a favorite book
    SEE jewelry
    LIE trip
    ESI vacuum cleaner?

SLI sex, something to contribute to a hobby of theirs
    IEE trip, massage package, lessons for cooking, art, craft, etc
    LSE photo book of shared memories
    EII journal
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The best gift I ever got was from an ESI buddy of mine, He gave me a small plastic folding case full of drill bits and taps. It was something I wanted, but would not have bought for myself. The greatness of the gift was that he knew me well enough to know that I would like it but would not buy it for myself.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    oh god no. don't do cosplay and i only need one edition of a book.

I personally like stuff that will help me develop a new skill, something that will up my productivity/make life easier, or anything that will help me achieve my goals.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LII book on programming
    You know, I've never asked for programming books before, but I did ask for this: http://www.amazon.com/How-Would-Move...rds=mount+fuji - in addition to puzzle books, books on informal logic, and the "Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose (http://www.amazon.com/Road-Reality-C...oad+to+reality).

This year, it's "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind (http://www.amazon.com/Theoretical-Mi...etical+minimum). ALSO, I'm taking courses here (for fun): http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk...rk-entry-route - and I was THINKING of saving my Christmas money for programming textbooks...

i.e., close but no cigar!

Jason
    Last edited by jason_m; 12-11-2015 at 03:39 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a future present (if anyone is interested in buying it for me): https://www.google.ca/search?q=1980s...CIaIBTjpM4M%3A

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    I will get you a PS4 and some games, and I don't expect you to like it. Because I don't like it, we'll be in this together.
    I like it!

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It's not really that i want a vacuum cleaner. Unless mine was broken somehow and i still kept using it and not getting a new one, which is the sort of shit i might do. Its more about like what @Adam Strange said about something useful that i wouldn't get myself.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LSE: Planner-agenda
    I really like this one because somebody tried to give me a planner book one year and I absolutely hated it. I threw the thing in the trash as soon as the person left. lolz.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

ILE
    http://finessethestore.com/products/...xperience-card

If you want to make me happy

This maybe

electronics like tablet or laptop is nice too
    books are great too
    some sort of vacation is nice too

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Gift giving is both emotionally and intuitively based for me. Probably more emotional but I buy a lot of practical gifts for people that need, or want, them but won't buy for themselves for whatever reason. I also give a lot of gifts based on the energy I am feeling in the moment. I gift my friends frequently on impulse and one year I bought half a forum I was a member of gifts in July. lol I was so caught up in the spirit of giving. I am also a firm believer that what you give comes back to you in another form. I will even send gifts anonymously to my friends sometimes but after years of this they know it is me. When asked if it was me I might reply with, "maybe" and never confirm or deny. It is sort of like a secret santa game but all year long.

I am way better at gift giving than receiving because it just feels better to give them than to receive them. Receiving often makes me feel a bit awkward and sometimes overwhelmed. Some people say they never really know what to give me because when I want something I buy it for myself, or someone really close to me (family) will buy it for me if I mention wanting it, before they get a chance to. What do you give someone who has everything they want...

I am not that hard to read though. I like things that sparkle and contain elements of myth and magic. Some of my friends have given me tarot cards, faery, astrological, fantasy/scifi, and mythological books, shiny unusual trinkets from foreign lands, incense and candles which I always appreciate as I can never have too many of those things. Not suggesting any of those unless you know the person well enough to know they would like it. One year I got petrified wood and it was beautiful since it really sparkles like there is glitter in it. For my birthday this year I got a really cool Himalayan salt lamp and blue agate coasters, among other things, and I loved them. It was not something I expected to get so it was a surprise.

I don't think you can really buy gifts based on type though. I love getting electronic gadgets too but no one ever thinks to get me something electronic unless I specifically ask.

I wouldn't mind getting a vacuum cleaner or a new dishwasher if I needed one but I usually get that stuff for myself when I absolutely have to because something is broken and I can no longer get any use out of it.

Edit: Sometimes I am a bit childlike when giving gifts and will give something unusual to surprise someone because they expect something more predictable.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolShrimp View Post
    IEI:

I am almost afraid to ask. Why old razor blades?

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyan View Post
    Because the rust stores and refines the germs, so the cuts get infected, and it is all much more tragic.

Or maybe they are to trim the masking tape which was put up while painting the trim a new color in the room.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Because the rust stores and refines the germs, so the cuts get infected, and it is all much more tragic.

Or maybe they are to trim the masking tape which was put up while painting the trim a new color in the room.
    That's pretty disturbing and gross.

I have not used masking tape properly but I probably should. It's a lot of extra work. I can be precise when I have to be but mistakes still happen. I just clean them up right away. I would rather pay someone else to do it.

YWIMW

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyan View Post
    Sorry, just a bad joke re: the IEI emo kid stereotype.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolShrimp View Post
    Sorry, just a bad joke re: the IEI emo kid stereotype.

Ah, I see, for that special, self harming, IEI 4, in your life, who has everything. In that case maybe a nice gift basket with new razors, alcohol, and a first aid kit, all tied up in a big red bow. Wouldn't want them to get an infection or tetanus from the gift. Hmm, include a gift cert for a tetanus shot at a local clinic.

You could also include a print out of safety tips.

Self-Harm Safety

This page is directed at those of you who are self-harming and do not intend/are unable to kick the habit.

We will not tell you how to cut, where to get blades, what to use etc. but we will try and make sure that, if you are self-injuring, your risk of infection is minimised.

For now, this page is focusing on cutting, but we will add sections about other forms of self-harm later.

Keeping Your Cuts Clean

In order to keep your cuts from getting infected, you must keep them clean. Use the following guidelines to ensure you are not putting yourself in danger.

NEVER EVER USE RUSTED BLADES ETC. TO CUT WITH. Using a rusty blade puts you at risk of contracting life-threatening conditions like tetanus, as well as pretty much guaranteeing painful infections.
    Sterilize whatever you self-harm with. I keep my blades clean by washing them in boiling salted water. This kills the germs and reduces risk of infection. Just make sure you wash them before and after using.
    When you’ve cut yourself, immediately clean away the blood and, using a towel or tissue paper (The latter may stick to the wound, so be sparing in its use.), make a wad and press it down onto the wound. Hold it there until the bleeding stops. Once the blood flow is stemmed, clean around the wound very carefully and either wash or dispose of whatever you used to stop the bleeding.
    Once you’ve stopped the bleeding and cleaned it, apply some antiseptic ointment or cream, rub it in and put a bandaid or bandage over it. This will stop germs getting in.
    Change your bandaid regularly, and wash your cut and reapply the antiseptic every time you change your bandaid or expose it to open air. After a while, it should begin to heal.
    What NOT To Use

Some people put themselves in serious danger because of what they self-harm with. You should never, ever use any of the following to hurt yourself.

Glass
    Rusty Blades
    Dirty things
    Syringes
    Rocks

Treatment

Treatment of a self-inflicted wound varies with the kind of wound it is, which is why I’ve separated this into categories.

Deep Cuts

Your first course of action is to assess your wound. If your wound is very deep and won’t stop bleeding, then you should go to the hospital, as you may need stitches. They will look after you.
    If the wound is not deep enough for stitches, but is gaping, then you should try and stem the blood flow by holding a towel or a wad of tissue paper over the wound. Once the bleeding stops or lessens, wash the wound gently in warm water and apply some antiseptic ointment/cream. After you’ve done that, use something to hold the wound closed (I use steristrips or medical tape.). One those have been applied, put a bandaid or bandage over the wound and either take yourself to hospital to make sure you’re okay, or if you’re going it alone, make sure you keep the wound clean and covered until it’s healed.
    Shallow Cuts

Again, try and stem the blood flow. Once you’ve done that, clean the wound thoroughly.
    Put on some antiseptic ointment or cream, rub it in and put a bandaid or bandage over it.
    Make sure you repeat this process every time you change your bandaid.
    How to tell if you have an infection

The wound may initially become red and swollen. If the skin becomes puffy and very painful to touch, then it is almost guaranteed as an infection.
    The wound may exude pus.
    The wound may develop and greenish or yellow tinge.
    If the redness and pain lasts for more than a week or, or the green/yellow colour appears, go to hospital.
    What to do if you have an infection

Always keep the wound clean.
    Do not cut again or reopen the wound if you currently have an infection.
    Go to the hospital if it’s very bad or you begin experiencing other symptoms, such as a runny nose, dizziness, headaches etc.

PSA: Safety first. http://we-do-care.tumblr.com/selfharmsafety

In two seconds you really can find instructions for anything online.

YWIMW

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've given me a lot of talking points so I'll try to hit them all.

1) Greetings, T16Ters!

Greetings!

2) I'd like commenters to mention their own type and what type of gifts they prefer to receive. Is it an actual physical gift, or do you prefer something with sentimental value? Do you prefer 'prizes' or gifts of status, or do you prefer gifts that are practical? Do you prefer a gift that is a symbol?

I like books or stuff which is "utility-dense" i.e. the object is very useful for my life. Sappy sentimental stuff is sweet but ultimately a waste in my opinion, and I hate having to throw out stuff which I've been gifted but I also am not going to waste time/space if it's getting in the way. When you say "prizes or gifts of status" I'm not sure what you mean. Either way in my head a gift of status only counts if it's a clear indicator that you are successful somewhere. E.g. a trophy is a waste of space, but it does denote that you won something; getting an expensive car doesn't signify anything about your worth or success because money it is not a clear signaller about your success.

I like to get presents - I don't think they're a waste of resources - an I see nothing wrong with people asking me what I want as a present.

Doing some Socionics on this: Liking books is probably a classic LII trait. It's all about knowledge and new ideas.

RE: "Utility-density". I think that's an IJ trait? It's a focus on simplicity and maximal utility. EJs would want maximum stuff to give them the options; EPs would want interesting stuff to allow them to do something/discover something; IPs would want something which helps them achieve something specific they want to do.

RE: Disliking sentimental stuff. It's that whole chain of -dom, -role, -suggestive. While I recognise the gift is sweet, I don't put that much value on it. Instead, it becomes an obligation to keep the gift, because that's the way I parse such sentimental gifts. I also don't know how to express my happiness at the gift. If it's something practical I can wear it over and over again to indicate "yes, I really like this jacket!" but I don't want to have to gush over how sweet it is that they remembered I like X band and I had looked all over for their t-shirt. (Example fictional)

RE: Gifts of status. That's probably the -creative, -Polr thing. I don't brag about my status and image isn't important. I'm more concerned about the true essence of what the gift means.

3) I think one of the Reinin dichotomies mentions that certain types prefer to receive either resources or information - so you could certainly include that into your answer, or approach it with that mindset.

I see from here (link for everyone's convenience) that I am obstinate and more focused on ideas. I'm not sure how that aligns with my relationship with presents, because I actually would be upset if I had a party and got no presents which sounds like I would treat resources as 'sacred'.

Perhaps it comes down to the following sentences:
    Yielding: “If I know I can't do something, I won't and will forget all about it.”
    vs
    Obstinate: “I won't abandon my interests just because my resources are inadequate, but simply work towards improving my resources until they ARE adequate.”

So I have certain interests and I know specifically what resources I need to achieve them. So when Xmas rolls around I know specifically what gifts I want, hence I prefer people to ask me what I want and I prefer gifts which have some great utility, because they will act in service of these interests.

4) What do you think the best gift is for each type besides yourself? Do you think the amount of money that went into the gift matters more or less for certain types?
    Based on the above there are 5 hypotheses:

H1: -valuing people will prefer the sentimental gift. People bad at will be bad at finding sentimental gifts.
    H2: -dominant people will prefer the showy gift
    H3: SEI, ILE, IEI, SLE, ESI, LIE, EII and LSE will not know what gifts they want, and not want to be asked to choose their own present. The remaining types (LII, ESE, LSI, EIE, ILI, SEE, SLI, IEE) will know and won't mind being asked.
    H4: LII like books
    H5: EJs want maximum stuff to give them options; EPs want interesting stuff which may be related to one of their hobbies; IPs want simple things which fits into their life neatly or solves a specific problem they have; IJs want something simple but useful.

5) Which types do you find are the hardest people to buy gifts for? Which types are the easiest?

I have not typed many of my friends. Anyway, of the ones I have I think probably EIIs, ILEs and SLEs are the hardest to buy for. EIIs because they may not be happy with the present but they won't tell you and so you always have that doubt. ILEs because they are too confusing: they will be happy with the weirdest things, and find other things thoughtful but unexciting. SLEs because I don't understand them, man; they probably want some sport thing or some exciting hobby thing and my hobbies and their hobbies do not align.

6) What gifts have you given or received in the past? What gifts are you hoping to get in the future?
    I have chosen not to answer this question cos my answers are boring. Sorry!
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer cards or money. When people buy me stuff, I usually think "if I had wanted this, I would have already bought it."

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like having a lot of 'stuff', so generally just prefer cash or gift cards to put towards bills or other necessary things as they come up.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I always want and true for other INFx
    Books
    Makeup
    Gift certificates
    And I hate surprises lol

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SEE jewelry
    If I was a girl I'd be ok with cosplay stuff. Garners positive attention from the mate (or potential mates, nerd men love a girl who cosplays) and being a booth babe pays well enough for what it is if I happen to be single (stand here, look pretty, get money). Not sure how I'd feel if the girl wants me to dress up as a fictional character though. If you get it as a gift the immediate implication is that the mate wants to see you wear it. Then again if she's getting it for me I'd probably look good in it/pull the character off well so there's that too. I'd just be exceedingly confused, not sure how I'd process that. Well, unless she's a cosplayer herself. Then the rationalization is easy, she's trying to draw me into her hobby which is to be fully expected. People like to have hobbies in common with their SO and if none are presenting themselves naturally the next step is to try and draw them into one of your own.

And lets face it, everyone likes bling. Even if you don't wear it bling can be exchanged readily for money as it tends to contain precious metals and stones. It's like a proto-universal gift card. I wouldn't mind getting bling either.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    And lets face it, everyone likes bling.
    I'm really not crazy about it. I have so much crap jewelry from my ex bcuz "you say you don't like it but all women do."
    I should pawn all of it and buy a package of skittles

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really not crazy about it. I have so much crap jewelry from my ex bcuz "you say you don't like it but all women do."

But if it was REALLY REALLY nice jewelry would you like it?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    But if it was REALLY REALLY nice jewelry would you like it?
    Lol maybe :3
    I think after the first time he implied that i actually was lying or don't even know what i like because "all women do" it just ruined any chance for me to ever be grateful when he bought it. Like what the fuck, i should have just bought him ties every year even though he never wore them. Everybody knows bitches love ties. I'm so annoyed just thinking about it.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'd say you have a good idea. Get it appraised then shop around with the money and buy something you really want. It's from the ex anyways, I doubt you plan to hook back up with em' so no harm done .

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@ClownsandEntropy, I'll take H3 for 500 please. Ask and ye shall receive, just be sure you're sure that you really wanna know the answer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII. Only gifts that I like, other than cards or cash, are practical ones that I wouldn't buy myself, as I tend to give away all my money and just go without. E.g.; told my dad that I want a cordless drill and a leaf blower for Christmas. Last time I asked for something was a jack for my vehicle. Think next time I will ask for a fire extinguisher for my birthday, just in case something in my house catches fire.