TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default The Truths

Everybody's the hero of their own story
    No one casts themselves as the evil villain of their own story. "Listen, I'm not the bad guy here."

A good analogy is an actor getting cast to play the grave digger in Hamlet who when asked what the show is about, will say "oh it's called Hamlet and it's about the grave digger who met the prince."

Do you have any moral truths?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back to socionics.

I have deep seated desire to alleviate the suffering of others at times, defend people who can't defend themselves, and stop people from doing things that are inhumane. No truths beyond that really. Any truths would be situational and temporary.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You can't really take back what you say or do to others. That's the thing. And it's easy/lazy to destroy things. It takes a lot less effort to kill/destroy/hurt an entire room than it is to build it up and save it. that's why heroes are so respected. They really do earn it.

And it's fun to inflict pain, at least at first. the truth its depressing but when you are crashing into everybody's inner bunny and smearing the blood on the walls, it probably feels like you are alive. However, I feel like a rat if I go too far- damn guilt and empathy.

If you do something abusive and antisocial people keep track of it. Of course sometimes people might just be taking things too sensitively but an abuser is going to use that loophole as an excuse to continue their destruction. Redemption is earned, only the person that hurt you has the power to take it away. That's why I'm really impressed when people genuinely apologize.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Luck and temperament rule the world."

A ridiculously apparent truth when it comes to warfare, politics and markets. To a lesser extent it is true for day-to-day life - as chance doesn't always play a massive role in mundane matters.

"The heart has its reasons that reason ignores."

Basically saying that by pure reason alone you can not know what it is you want, while at the same time adding an element of mystery to human existence. And if there are two things I love about moral philosophy, it is emphasising the mystery in being and intelligently limiting the scope of reason.
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't get what Prince Hamlet has to do with morals unless you consider murder moral. Maybe I misread that and you allude stricte to the Christian act of burying people according the doctrine.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I don't get what Prince Hamlet has to do with morals unless you consider murder moral. Maybe I misread that and you allude stricte to the Christian act of burying people according the doctrine.
    I should explain how I have observed this to work: if Maritsa says a round face is SEE, then it's SEE. Similarly, if Maritsa thinks hamlet quotes are moral truths, they are moral truths. Get with the program absurd!

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I should explain how I have observed this to work: if Maritsa says a round face is SEE, then it's SEE. Similarly, if Maritsa thinks hamlet quotes are moral truths, they are moral truths. Get with the program absurd!
    Neither did she quote Hamlet or is her post specifically about Hamlet.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Neither did she quote Hamlet or is her post specifically about Hamlet.
    Yep, So?

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, So?
    I just wanted to clear that up.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to clear that up.
    Good show sir.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Again, I don't really know what round face has to do with this thread and where has been uttered, I have no clue??? Besides, this thread is called "The Truths" implying moral ones, but none uttered so far, are moral.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, I don't really know what round face has to do with this thread and where has been uttered, I have no clue??? Besides, this thread is called "The Truths" implying moral ones, but none uttered so far, are moral.
    "The truths" can be considered "moral" in the sense of being descriptions of the moral character of humanity. These are the sorts of moral descriptions you get from the French Moralists and certain Roman philosophers and poets. Although over time the use of the word moral to describe this way of thinking has become less popular, but it is still imo valid.
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"The truths" can be considered "moral" in the sense of being descriptions of the moral character of humanity. These are the sorts of moral descriptions you get from the French Moralists and certain Roman philosophers and poets. Although over time the use of the word moral to describe this way of thinking has become less popular, but it is still imo valid.
    Oh, you mean proverbs not tied to any kind of moral code then. Okay, fine.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, you mean proverbs not tied to any kind of moral code then. Okay, fine.
    Traditionally the French Moralists and Romans tied them to living the good life and generally proverbs/writings like these naturally lead to matters of how to live - but they don't lead to anything as strict as a moral code.
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Traditionally the French Moralists and Romans tied them to living the good life and generally proverbs/writings like these naturally lead to matters of how to live - but they don't lead to anything as strict as a moral code.
    Yeah, they don't. They mostly deal with social behaviour, the ones from under the pen of these French Moralists. They deal with questions like what is acceptable, what makes a man boring in some social circles?

Savoir-vivre in short.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, they don't. They mostly deal with social behaviour, the ones from under the pen of these French Moralists. They deal with questions like what is acceptable, what makes a man boring in some social circles?

Savoir-vivre in short.
    It depends on the author, some are also into passion, ego (self-love), success and existentialist sounding questions.

For example these guys are less into the polite society scene:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Luc_de_...e_Vauvenargues
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fran%C3..._Rochefoucauld
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You think what he [Rochefoucauld] had to say about women applies nowadays?

I don't mean socially influential women of whom he spoke and referred to, but the women you meet everyday.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think what he [Rochefoucauld] had to say about women applies nowadays?
    I believe he sometimes exaggerates the differences between men and women when talking about virtue and love, but he isn't generally wrong.
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I believe he sometimes exaggerates the differences between men and women when talking about virtue and love, but he isn't generally wrong.
    Didn't mean that. He often wrote/talked about women and how they should behave, that is, he referred to a moral quality and in the case of women, to chastity. So, I was interested whether or not you think it applies nowadays (maybe would apply), and moreover whether or not you agree.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ala View Post
    No one casts themselves as the evil villain of their own story. "Listen, I'm not the bad guy here."

A good analogy is an actor getting cast to play the grave digger in Hamlet who when asked what the show is about, will say "oh it's called Hamlet and it's about the grave digger who met the prince."

There are always exceptions.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't mean that. He often wrote/talked about women and how they should behave, that is, he referred to a moral quality and in the case of women, to chastity. So, I was interested whether or not you think it applies nowadays (maybe would apply), and moreover whether or not you agree.
    There are very few explicit "shoulds" in his writing, he doesn't really tell anyone to do anything and he doesn't talk that much about chastity. But I do agree that women have issues surrounding beauty and attention, and that they can be made into morally dubious (and untrustworthy) individuals if they're not careful about the issue.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are very few explicit "shoulds" in his writing, he doesn't really tell anyone to do anything and he doesn't talk that much about chastity. But I do agree that women have issues surrounding beauty and attention, and that they can be made into morally dubious (and untrustworthy) individuals if they're not careful.
    Do you believe this only applies to women? Or defines them in their difference?

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are very few explicit "shoulds" in his writing, he doesn't really tell anyone to do anything and he doesn't talk that much about chastity. But I do agree that women have issues surrounding beauty and attention, and that they can be made into morally dubious (and untrustworthy) individuals if they're not careful.
    You're correct, not explicitly that they should, but it is indicated, besides I don't think you speak French, do you?

What I'm trying to say is, in every language you're going to find archaic words, out of use words, etc. Nowadays it means loyal, decent, and moral. Back in his days he referred to it as chastity when speaking about moral qualities.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GemOfTroy View Post
    Do you believe this only applies to women? Or defines them in their difference?
    I don't think this only applies to women, but for some reason it appears like something women have to deal with the most.
    ἀταραξία

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're correct, not explicitly that they should, but it is indicated, besides I don't think you speak French, do you?

What I'm trying to say is, in every language you're going to find archaic words, out of use words, etc. Nowadays it means loyal, decent, and moral. Back in his days he referred to it as chastity when speaking about moral qualities.
    I don't speak French. The reason why I question chasity (as I understand it) as his focus is that there seems to be a wider and vaguer aim in his writing when mentioning women (or anything for that matter). I feel that if you use classical Christian terms to describe his writing you'll miss his point. He is purposely making the human condition look murky.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this only applies to women, but for some reason it appears like something women have to deal with the most.
    I see the angle, but I'd term it differently. For instance, I'd suggest it applies to some sets of women more so than others and that it also applies to men but is emphasised differently ...focus on slightly different areas... pride maybe, appearance and fitness... are we going down the biology-society-survival route... i'm not sure.

InvisibruJim

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the angle, but I'd term it differently. For instance, I'd suggest it applies to some sets of women more so than others and that it also applies to men but is emphasised differently ...focus on slightly different areas... pride maybe, appearance and fitness...
    Yeah, I definitely agree.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i don't feel like ranting about all the reasons why but women are obviously more powerful than men, they commit suicide less, they have greater social support by others, they might be attacked more but they know how to better ask for help in the world whereas a man, wanting to be a manly man always falls down the darkness of his own abyss. I read somewhere that women can't help but think of most men as children they must protect. With the rare exception of their romantic partner that they choose as their own ideal version of masculinity. It just made a lot of sense to me.

And according to the book the frality myth men might not even be so much stronger physically. poor men.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't speak French. The reason why I question chasity (as I understand it) as his focus is that there seems to be a wider and vaguer aim in his writing when mentioning women (or anything for that matter). I feel that if you use classical Christian terms to describe his writing you'll miss his point. He is purposely making the human condition look murky.
    Well, him being himself Roman Catholic and living in the times of absolute monarchy, questionable being whether or not he had been influenced by Machiavelli, I think I'll stick with modern day meaning of those moral qualities he talks about, providing that is going to make you at ease.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, him being himself Roman Catholic and living in the times of absolute monarchy, questionable being whether or not he had been influenced by Machiavelli, I think I'll stick with modern day meaning of those moral qualities he talks about, providing that is going to make you at ease.
    I don't mean he is anti-Christian, he just isn't using strict classical Christian understanding (neither did Montaigne and he manged to get away with it). He does not appear to be saying morality for women = chastity, he has made the field broader. He is the opposite of containing character and personality in narrow definitions - just like Montaigne. Also Montaigne was Catholic.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    EII-Ne
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody intends evil for the sake of evil. There is no sane person who thinks, "I will do something evil today." That is why I am against the notion of the sinful nature of humans. All evils are either the result of ignorance, or the result of helplessness. I don't need to explain that many people who do evil believe at the time that they are doing good. And a person who says "I do not believe good and evil are important" are themselves ignorant of the importance of good and evil.

Once again, the source of evil is ignorance or helplessness. The only way to fight evil is through education of good, and empowerment to do good.
    What is a utopia? A dream unrealized, but not unrealizable. -- Joseph Dejacque
    EII (INFj) - 9w1 - INFP - Scorpio - Hufflepuff
    Johari - Fediverse

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't mean he is anti-Christian, he just isn't using strict classical Christian understanding (neither did Montaigne and he manged to get away with it). He does not appear to be saying morality for women = chastity, he has made the field broader. He is the opposite of containing character and personality in narrow definitions - just like Montaigne. Also Montaigne was Catholic.
    Yeah, I know, never implied you did. It seems his proverbs/maxims were written against Christian tradition, but that would be going too far without checking it. Funny, Nietzsche borrowed from him and is considered an anti-Christian moralist by some.

Anyway, I'm off to drown myself now.
    Last edited by Absurd; 02-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

There are always exceptions.
    This thread isn't so much about finding the exceptions but recognizing the rules or better yet the processes.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread isn't so much about finding the exceptions but recognizing the rules or better yet the processes.
    That is one of the rules. That was my point.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one casts themselves as the evil villain of their own story.
    I do.
    One is the Hume's Guillotine. It makes me sceptical when truth is next to the word "moral".
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

That is one of the rules. That was my point.
    Oh, I misunderstood you.
    -

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    The heart has its reasons that reason ignores.
    i'd like to be more original but i think these two might be my only constants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast