Thread: Socionics types prone to being formal / serious?

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics types prone to being formal / serious?

What would you guys say are types more prone to being formal/serious? Does not preclude being an extrovert or a feeler. I crack jokes regularly but I'm still by nature pretty serious looking/seeming; I just come off that way. People say I take myself too seriously. Lately I have been realizing with some other serious people, I can't completely relax because we are both so formal in general. Does this kind of trait have smthing to do w typing?

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    What would you guys say are types more prone to being formal/serious? Does not preclude being an extrovert or a feeler. I crack jokes regularly but I'm still by nature pretty serious looking/seeming; I just come off that way. People say I take myself too seriously. Lately I have been realizing with some other serious people, I can't completely relax because we are both so formal in general. Does this kind of trait have smthing to do w typing?
    That would be trying (opposite of relaxing) to be serious/formal.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm curious about in what way(s) you take yourself too seriously?

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The issue might be related to the Merry/Serious dichotomy.

There have been instances when I was merely joking around, having a good time, trying to amp up the emotional atmosphere. Serious types (usually SLI, sometimes ESI) would regularly find offense to this or feel bewildered.
    SEEs and IEEs tend to be flexible in regards to joking or acting seriously, though there are still certain moments when they find my "bubbliness" misplaced and will be irritated by it.

Now, the matter of taking oneself seriously... It can be difficult to tell whether it is actually related to the Serious dichotomy trait, or not.
    When something is important to me, I will be more likely to be "serious" about it in some way. But it depends. I am never as serious about certain things as for example some EII or ESI people I have known.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

i'm probably on the serious side, but i'm meant to be merry. more so in work/serious type situations.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

People say I take myself too seriously.
    If your type is dom Fi (as I assume), then Fe types may perceive you such.

TIM
    ile
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look really serious on the outside but I don't feel that way on the inside. People will make comments about how serious I look or come across but I'm not that way internally at all.

enneagram 946/947

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Merry vs Serious is the same as Fe/Ti vs Te/Fi. Te/Fi types are serious because they are focused on either immediate productivity (Te) or distant far reaching ethics (Fi), which suppresses focus on positive social interaction that Fe/Ti types emphasize. Each sees the other as an annoying road block. Ti/Fe gets annoyed by Te/Fi because Te/Fi destroys the fun atmosphere sought by Ti/Fe by reminding and pressuring them into doing unpleasant work, while Te/Fi gets annoyed by Ti/Fe goofing off when there is important work that needs to be done.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Muddytextures View Post
    Merry vs Serious is the same as Fe/Ti vs Te/Fi. Te/Fi types are serious because they are focused on either immediate productivity (Te) or distant far reaching ethics (Fi), which suppresses focus on positive social interaction that Fe/Ti types emphasize. Each sees the other as an annoying road block. Ti/Fe gets annoyed by Te/Fi because Te/Fi destroys the fun atmosphere sought by Ti/Fe by reminding and pressuring them into doing unpleasant work, while Te/Fi gets annoyed by Ti/Fe goofing off when there is important work that needs to be done.
    YES!
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    If your type is dom Fi (as I assume), then Fe types may perceive you such.
    No EII would dress with their midriff open. Not spiritually conservative enough.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 02-28-2016 at 05:35 AM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I get annoyed by Ti/Fe, because they have to be babysat too much imo. Either the Fe get's out of hand, or the lack of Te ends up having negative consequences.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    No EII would dress with their midriff open. Not spirituaally conservative enough.
    You just combined two severe stereotypes lol. Attire and Spirituality lol.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8419 View Post
    Personally, I get annoyed by Ti/Fe, because they have to be babysat too much imo. Either the Fe get's out of hand, or the lack of Te ends up having negative consequences.
    In any case, in all of her posts she does like to keep a positive upbeat social interaction here on the forum.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I would say that SEE can be very formal, some that I have known can really be socially conscious, teaching their kids how to be polite by telling them to say "thank you" and "please" and "speak quietly!"

For myself it more like "stay here and don't get in the way and try not to misbehave" I can be socially stunting because I can keep a lid of wildness and silly behaviors. I'll tell my kids to not be loud and disruptive to keep things down. When it comes to joking it's more like in the right place and time and never to just "uplift someone's mood to make them lighten up" that is what my ESE cousin will do "take my sarcasm." To me that sort of thing is uncalled for when done in a time where the person is expressing some frustrating and sad feelings. This is why I love Delta because either they will commiserate or they will offer really heartwarming sympathy "let's pray together" or "I will pray for you"

I abhor silly behaviors like food fights YUCK! And, when this stuff goes on I don't laugh and giggle. I just want to walk away.

I do like teasing when I'm in the relax mood with gently wrestling or pillow fighting but nothing mean to hurt someone, just to throw a pillow at them "you're not planning on sleeping are you? -there comes a pillow at the one who is pretending to and the other party too will receive a toss back at them." Just one on one play teasing. That's about the level of silliness that I like.

For the most part I want society to be orderly. People to give way to the elderly, to be polite and respectful.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 02-28-2016 at 05:43 AM.
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You just combined two severe stereotypes lol. Attire and Spirituality lol.
    The right to priority in business or ethical initiative does not extend to suggestive function. The LSE does not allow himself to make bold statements on his suggestive aspect, but delivers his opinion in manner of careful observations, warnings, and recommendations. For example, when one family was discussing early pregnancy of their teenage daughter, her father LSE in a very cautious manner expressed to his wife (LIE) the following remark: "If you didn't allow her to use your wardrobe, wear your dress without control, and go in them wherever she wanted, this wouldn't have happened ... " - he accused her of excessive democratism, carelessness, and all-allowance, that is, all those qualities which the LSE considers as harmful and which are not found in the EII.
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The right to priority in business or ethical initiative does not extend to suggestive function. The LSE does not allow himself to make bold statements on his suggestive aspect, but delivers his opinion in manner of careful observations, warnings, and recommendations. For example, when one family was discussing early pregnancy of their teenage daughter, her father LSE in a very cautious manner expressed to his wife (LIE) the following remark: "If you didn't allow her to use your wardrobe, wear your dress without control, and go in them wherever she wanted, this wouldn't have happened ... " - he accused her of excessive democratism, carelessness, and all-allowance, that is, all those qualities which the LSE considers as harmful and which are not found in the EII.
    Yeah, not even close lol.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Yeah, not even close lol.
    Dead right! Anyway moving on...
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dead right! Anyway moving on...
    You're retarded lol

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You're retarded lol
    is someone supposed to laugh at this type of speaking to others? would a moderator please move our comments @mu4
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is someone supposed to laugh at this type of speaking to others? would a moderator please move our comments @mu4
    You're supposed to realize you're being retarded.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You're supposed to realize you're being retarded.
    Just reported this.
    -

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reported this.
    Oh. Wow.

To expand on you being retarded... You're quoting Russia from a different era. You're ignoring the situation of both culture and time. "Conservative" is dependent upon both. By your definition, the only EII college girls would be the fat ones.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Serious/merry dichotomy sounds good in theory, but I've seen such mixed bag of people in group interactions acting the opposite of their supposed inclination. It all depends on circumstances and how interested people are with the conversation/people they're dealing with. For example, ESE's can be dismissive as hell and just turn a cold shoulder if they don't like someone or if they feel out of place in a group of people (usually if they estimate they might embarrass themselves if they start speaking) and seem very formal. About looking serious while being merry - have you ever seen a LSI lol? Most of Reinin dichotomies are bullshit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    One of my friends in school made a comment that he thought I was this serious straight A student because I had good posture, looked well kept, made no facial expressions and looked like I didn't want to be talked to (not the case at all lol). I've also had other people say that I look unapproachable & untouchable because of this. Not really sure what that means.
    People have called me ice princess, unapproachable and my favorite, "frost". They always say how surprised they are when we start talking. "I thought you were a bitch, because it's hard to read your mind and can't tell what you're thinking of me" (most likely nothing ). I carry myself this way because it keeps annoying people at bay and when I need to (e.g. at job, social event) or someone I dig comes along, I get all sweet anyway : )

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    About looking serious while being merry - have you ever seen a LSI lol?
    They often look serious while being "Merry" due to their 1D Fe, duh. Same for LII.
    But you can see they "seek Fe", in that they respond positively to other people's attempts at improving/exaggerating the emotional atmosphere around them. They crave having a good time.

Opposed to that are "Serious" Fe PoLR people, who do not seek such interactions at all.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SisOfNight View Post
    They often look serious while being "Merry" due to their 1D Fe, duh. Same for LII.
    But you can see they "seek Fe", in that they respond positively to other people's attempts at improving/exaggerating the emotional atmosphere around them. They crave having a good time.

Opposed to that are "Serious" Fe PoLR people, who do not seek such interactions at all.
    I am aware of that fact. OP was wondering if looking serious has anything to do with type, and I stated that many merry types indeed do look serious/are formal on first impression and the opposite goes for some serious types (Fi creatives for example). I didn't say anything about who wants or doesn't want to have a good time - although, most people want to have a good time, duh, it's just that their definition varies from one person to another. There are many SEE's, IEE's, LIE's and even LSE's who up the atmosphere with jokes and silly behavior. And about Fe Polr's not seeking that kind of interaction at all....c'mon!!!! ILI's like having a laugh and tell jokes as well, they're not a fucking rock. It's just more subdued than when IEE's tell a joke. But they still clearly enjoy interaction and some ILI's are also party goers and such. Just way too many generalizations here.

IEI's generally look serious and their bubblyness isn't activated under many circumstances. They certainly give off an impression of serious people compared to many others. So if OP self-types as IEI, there's nothing conflicting with her to her also being a pretty serious person at the same time. Only dumb people want to have a good time all the damn time. Life is shitty and serious here and there.