Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTp concept of God, devaluing conceptual understanding for a personal bond

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INTp concept of God, devaluing conceptual understanding for a personal bond

I think John Lennon's song God really resonates as INTp to me.

Not that all INTps will think about God the same way, but I think that the sentiments expressed -- devaluing of conceptual understandings of God, and instead looking toward personal bonds for knowledge about meaningful lives, seem Ni Te Se Fi.

It begins, "God is a concept by which we measure our pain". Next he lists religious concepts in which he does not believe. Then he says that what he believes in is Yoko and himself, which is what is real.
    Last edited by Ms. Kensington; 11-04-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: n

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My impression of an INTP:

"Define "God"?
    all powerful? yes and no.. <writes 100 pages>
    omniscient? yes and no.... <writes 200 pages>
    male or female? <laughs> what is "male" or "female"? The mystical embodiment of complimentary forces of nature with differing genitalia? one will never know...

<1 million pages later>:
    Now that we've defined God, does God exist?
    Oh wait, we have to define "exist"?
    Do I "exist"? Do marshmallows "exist"?
    <writes another 1 million pages>

If God exists, how does it affect things?
    <Lists every aspect of everything the world over, with 40+ caveats per item about God's effect on it.>

Leaps of Faith? That's the equivalent of sputtering nonsense. Let's be rational here. Leap of Faith is another way of saying "shitty logic."
    <1 million more pages of gibberish that only an Ni ego could understand.>

In conclusion, I predict that a rainbow of destruction will one day shatter the earth."

There you have it folks. A proof of the existence of something in which everything has been basically annihilated. Inability to categorically phrase anything, resulting in nothing that can be said about anything without it somehow being wrong.
    And you can't contest the INTP on this, because he _is_ right: there is an exception to everything. But how can you prove to him that that doesn't mean you can't make a generalization? I will never know....
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking INTP or INTp?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I'm not even sure I know what a letter is.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    I'm not even sure I know what a letter is.
    It's what I wrote you to tell you that it's not you, it's me.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's what I wrote you to tell you that it's not you, it's me.
    oh. i'm not sure it was you.
    i was ambivalent. and ambivalent about my ambivalence. and ambivalent about my ambivalence's ambivalence. And ambivalent about my ambivalence's ambivalence's ambivalence. And SUM of "ambivalent about my ambivalence's^x ambivalence," of x = 3 to infinity.
    my emotions are like one big wad of chewing gum on which the hooves of tiny reindeer have irish-jigged.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my emotions are like one big wad of chewing gum on which the hooves of tiny reindeer have irish-jigged.
    Oh girl, you soooo dirty! Let's reconnect over some coffee.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh girl, you soooo dirty! Let's reconnect over some coffee.
    Cool beans.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we please stop with that strange capitalisation.

Irrationals in MBTI are the same as Irrationals in Socionics.

If you can give one example where I'm wrong, I'll give you a dozen which prove I'm right.

It's just some error made by Ganin which everybody follows blindly without ever testing if it's true.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Can we please stop with that strange capitalisation.

Irrationals in MBTI are the same as Irrationals in Socionics.

If you can give one example where I'm wrong, I'll give you a dozen which prove I'm right.

It's just some error made by Ganin which everybody follows blindly without ever testing if it's true.
    I was asking if she was discussing an MBTI type or a socionics type. I can't tell if you're suggesting that MBTI type = socionics type or what. I'm not even talking about something as simple as a p/j switch, just that the types are simply not the same so figuring out which theory we're discussing is kind of important, particularly when my impression of what was written seemed more applicable of certain socionic functions that are not stressed as much in an INTp. Therefore, because I was uncertain of what exactly was being addressed, I asked a question. Is this alright with you, Jarno?

On a peripheral note, should my testing overwhelmingly as an INFP in MBTI suggest that I'm not a rational type in socionics?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was asking if she was discussing an MBTI type or a socionics type. I can't tell if you're suggesting that MBTI type = socionics type or what. I'm not even talking about something as simple as a p/j switch, just that the types are simply not the same so figuring out which theory we're discussing is kind of important, particularly when my impression of what was written seemed more applicable of certain socionic functions that are not stressed as much in an INTp. Therefore, because I was uncertain of what exactly was being addressed, I asked a question. Is this alright with you, Jarno?

On a peripheral note, should my testing overwhelmingly as an INFP in MBTI suggest that I'm not a rational type in socionics?
    yeah I guess I'm getting a bit frusterated on that aspect. Not meant personally.

It's just a strange solution which ganin invented to make the functions in mbti and socionics compatible, which is useless since mbti functions are too messed up. If comparing judging and perceiving with socionics rational and irrational, you will notice that they are similar.

It's also strange the last letter is capitalized, since the biggest difference in definitions between soc. and mbti exists in introversm and extraversm.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 million pages!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)
    Actually, mune, I thought you were kidding about the INTP/INTp thing.
    I read the reasoning for the INTp capitalization awhile back. Whatever it is, I don't subscribe to it. As far as I'm concerned INTp = INTP = ILI = InTp = iNTp =....
    heh.
    EDIT: If there actually is a preference/convention here, I'll try to be cognizant of it. But it's in the same way as I would say "It's me" and not "It is I." Common usage > the actual reasoning behind the rule.
    Last edited by Ritella; 11-04-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)

I read the reasoning for the INTp capitalization awhile back. Whatever it is, I don't subscribe to it.
    Thank you.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes i do think that people use four capitals here to be MBTI. I wouldn't care though if someone strongly believed that people should know that Ganin made a mistake or whatever and used it as socionics functional type, that would be amusing. would cause problems though.

we should probably make it forum practice and make like an INTp and make uniform lower case letters: intp.
    Last edited by Ms. Kensington; 11-04-2008 at 06:25 PM. Reason: f

God = me.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even if you weren't joking that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    even if you weren't joking that would make sense.
    I was only partly joking. Depends on how you define a god. For example I'm my own supreme moral authority, like god is to judeo-christians.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The human brain has extensive pattern matching capabilities and will sometimes fabricate patterns where none actually exist, especially in high stress situations. Thus supernatural deities that influence human lives and respond to prayer/sacrifices are invented. The brain tries to derive correllation/causation patterns from an impartial and chaotic universe. This behaviour is helpful when trying to figure out which herbs have medicinal value or make sense of the social fabric of a community, but it will yield superstitions when applied to what are essentially arbitrary occurences.

in socionics terms, Ni processes and links the massive data generated by Te and Se, but the patterns generated must be fact-checked against reality because uncontrolled Ni can start creating unrealistic connections.
    ILI

¿Qué es la vida? Un frenesí.
    ¿Qué es la vida? Una ilusión;
    una sombra, una ficción
    y el mayor bien es pequeño.
    ¡Que toda la vida es sueño
    y los sueños, sueños son!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is that your real name? It sends out these cool vibes

not that I'm into numerology or anything
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isolda Biloruka View Post
    The human brain has extensive pattern matching capabilities and will sometimes fabricate patterns where none actually exist, especially in high stress situations. Thus supernatural deities that influence human lives and respond to prayer/sacrifices are invented. The brain tries to derive correllation/causation patterns from an impartial and chaotic universe. This behaviour is helpful when trying to figure out which herbs have medicinal value or make sense of the social fabric of a community, but it will yield superstitions when applied to what are essentially arbitrary occurences.

in socionics terms, Ni processes and links the massive data generated by Te and Se, but the patterns generated must be fact-checked against reality because uncontrolled Ni can start creating unrealistic connections.
    this makes a lot of sense somehow.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was just thinking, if this person is an ILI, how would an xEE hear him or her? I knew that the xEE would not likely react the same way I, an LII would/did. For example, wanting to talk about the logical implications and what I see as lack of cohesion in what is being said. However I supressed that because I think that is what happens when one gets older. Not entirely or even necessarily a function of fatigue.

one idea i had was that the ILI would see connections as more or less useful, but would they agree that things are stronger or weaker correlations in terms of reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dattebayo View Post
    is that your real name? It sends out these cool vibes

not that I'm into numerology or anything
    Isolda is the protagonist from one of my favorite poems by Ukrainian poet Lesya Ukraiinka. The character is based off Iseult of the White Hands from the medieval romance of Tristan and Iseult.
    ILI

una sombra, una ficción

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but aren't we focusing on INTp concepts here, which would be formed by applying Ni to dynamic information? I have no doubt that Ti dominated concepts of god/religion would take a vastly different form, for instance
    ILI

una sombra, una ficción

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This message is endorsed by rmcnew (blame him!).

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ritella, I think you just don't like your ideas being questioned.
    God in my opinion is a way of describing the laws of the universe. And also a way of explaining parts of the universe we don't understand. when you talk hear someone talk about god, you will usually be able to take the word god out and substitute in there 'the laws of the universe', modify the tenses of the sentence... then you will be left with a perfectly logical sentence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=)
    I read the reasoning for the INTp capitalization awhile back. Whatever it is, I don't subscribe to it. As far as I'm concerned INTp = INTP = ILI = InTp = iNTp =....
    heh.
    EDIT: If there actually is a preference/convention here, I'll try to be cognizant of it. But it's in the same way as I would say "It's me" and not "It is I." Common usage > the actual reasoning behind the rule.
    wait, are you saying that you think someone's MBTT type is the same as their socionics type, or just that since this is a socionics forum, you don't see the need to use the "INTp" convention to signify you're referring to the socionics type and not the MBTT type?

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God = The Unmoved Mover. I.e. that which is the cause of everything else, but in itself is not the effect of anything else.

The Unmoved Mover is beyond time and space(, as it is the creator of time and space). Therefore it is utterly impossible for leading Ni-types (in casu: ILIs) to come to an understanding of God.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    God = The Unmoved Mover. I.e. that which is the cause of everything else, but in itself is not the effect of anything else.

The Unmoved Mover is beyond time and space(, as it is the creator of time and space). Therefore it is utterly impossible for leading Ni-types (in casu: ILIs) to come to an understanding of God.
    Assuming we go with this whole unmoved mover bit
    He is also beyond matter and energy... so why isolate Ni?
    And how have you come to understand him anyway?
    More like, it is impossible to understand using an information element.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    God in my opinion is a way of describing the laws of the universe. And also a way of explaining parts of the universe we don't understand. when you talk hear someone talk about god, you will usually be able to take the word god out and substitute in there 'the laws of the universe', modify the tenses of the sentence... then you will be left with a perfectly logical sentence.
    Like "law of the universe hates America"?

INTp

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming we go with this whole unmoved mover bit
    He is also beyond matter and energy... so why isolate Ni?
    And how have you come to understand him anyway?
    More like, it is impossible to understand using an information element.
    So why isolate Ni? Could it be because the title of this thread is "INTp concept of God" ??

Anyway, I agree: to understand God (whatever that is) one has to be omniscient like God, i.e. one has to be God. So anyone claiming to know or understand God, is simply deluded. At some stage, one has to accept the fact that many things are ultimately unknowable. But people typically can't live with uncertainty, so they fill up the gaps in their knowledge anyway.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the other guy: You didn't modify the context of the sentence, but yes I'd have to agree with the basic message that america rapes the universe.

...anyway:
    So you are discussing now that it is impossible to understand god, simply because god is omniscient, and we are not? I don't think I agree with this, because we can have an awareness of the potential for omniscience, kind of like I can know it is possible to know something without knowing it; but aside from getting into that, since this discussion is about how INTps believe they understand God; regardless of whether they are correct in their understanding, I don't see how this matters.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I don't see how this matters.
    It doesn't. Life's a bitch and then you die.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this in reference to?
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    through the lens of Te alone, that is indeterminate.
    You are right: humans aren't rational animals. Even better, we are not rational at all, although many of us like to believe rationality is the defining characteristic of human beings. Te is good only for simple things, such as replacing light bulbs and stuff. It should not be used for existential questions.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    You are right: humans aren't rational animals. Even better, we are not rational at all, although many of us like to believe rationality is the defining characteristic of human beings. Te is good only for simple things, such as replacing light bulbs and stuff. It should not be used for existential questions.

Existential questions are addressed with a perceiving function. Since the functions work in blocks, your statement is misleading and pointless. (and besides, it also applies to Ti, Fe, & Fi)
    You are also misusing the word rational. You can be completely rational, and completely wrong at the same time. Get it?
    That we can't glimpse all of reality (& this is your assumption, it's gone undiscussed), does not mean we incapable of being rational. It means we are incapable of being completely correct.
    All in all, you could use a little more Te the next time you write a paragraph

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rationalty, in my dictionary, is not an attribute of human beings, it is simply a coping method, a skill, if you will. Very much like the speed at which a cheetah runs, or a pack of lionesses hunt down their preys. We use rational thought processes in order to solve problems, but we are not rational in the sense that it sets us apart from other animals.

To say it differently: rationality is an overrated aspect of human beings. We think it is the answer to all our problems, but it isn't.

As far of my usage of Te: like I said, I use it to change light bulbs, or program web sites and stuff, but beyond that, I have no use for it. Been there, done that, it doesn't work (at least, it doesn't for me).

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't actually address the issue, and you also contradicted yourself.
    But you did talk a bit about cheetahs. ...
    I definitely do not think rationality is the answer to all our problems.
    I wonder who would be willing to stand up and say they thought such a thing?
    I think most perceiving types would bat this down quickly.

In respect to rationality, you failed on the following points:
    Rationality is not confined to Te. It also is an aspect of Ti, Fi, and Fe.
    Rationality is not necessary for everything, but it is necessary for some things; and much more than mundane tasks like changing light bulbs.
    The process of checking for errors or flaws, the awareness of conflict, the establishment of security, the fundamental ability to compare... these are rational processes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast