Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Si and physical health

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Si and physical health

I've seen the connection made before between Si and health, but then, as has previously been noted, there are Si dominants who seem to neglect their health.

The connection arises in the first place perhaps because it feels good to be healthy. But then there are some things which feel good right now but in the long term may result in poor health.

Now maybe someone has come up with this before, but maybe the health-focus is more likely to be evident in intuitive types (rather than Si types) who have a concern for Si (either Si-valuing or perhaps even Si-role), because they might be more likely or more able to think about how things will play out in the future (Ni?). Then they might show more concern for their health in the present, because they know if they don't do things to keep healthy, then in the future they will feel physically bad. Whereas an Si type might be less likely to think about the future, and so they do things which feel good right now but might make them feel bad in the future.

please rip this theory apart at your will

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    I've seen the connection made before between Si and health, but then, as has previously been noted, there are Si dominants who seem to neglect their health.

The connection arises in the first place perhaps because it feels good to be healthy. But then there are some things which feel good right now but in the long term may result in poor health.

Now maybe someone has come up with this before, but maybe the health-focus is more likely to be evident in intuitive types (rather than Si types) who have a concern for Si (either Si-valuing or perhaps even Si-role), because they might be more likely or more able to think about how things will play out in the future (Ni?). Then they might show more concern for their health in the present, because they know if they don't do things to keep healthy, then in the future they will feel physically bad. Whereas an Si type might be less likely to think about the future, and so they do things which feel good right now but might make them feel bad in the future.

i agree. i've met some really haphazard si types. one istp i met on a bike race trip drank a 64 oz slushie and ensured his other friend(also a big guy, likely estj) drink one himself, and made him do it by a certain time. it was a joke, but still, this is more what i get from Si, not perfect health maintenance. but! however, there are some Si types who are really into maintaining really close health, but i'd say more than 75% are the beer guzzling variety.

I've noticed a lot of health intuitive types, especially women.
    asd

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have begun to watch my sugar content, I got that from my dad, he has 100 books on wellness and health. and it fits his hidden agenda.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    I have begun to watch my sugar content, I got that from my dad, he has 100 books on wellness and health. and it fits his hidden agenda.
    Funny. My mum (LII) has a million health books too, and I'd have to say it's mostly her influence that keeps me relatively healthy. I think you're right, hellothere.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what category I would fall into, I just know I love exercising and maintaining my health because when I'm healthy, every day feels like a breeze compared to all the shit I usually gotta do.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also paranoid about how much sugar I eat because I don't want to get diabetes because if I do that would mean lots of injections and blood tests and that is something that would make all my hair fall out

But I just realised that what I said is kind of already explained by the hidden agenda... (of EIIs and LIIs), but I was trying to make my idea more general (in reconciling the Si-health connection with the unhealthy Si-dominants thing)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chopin View Post
    Funny. My mum (LII) has a million health books too, and I'd have to say it's mostly her influence that keeps me relatively healthy. I think you're right, hellothere.
    My LII dad is amazing. He always gives us fruit and tells us to work out, it's great. He is a champ.

(in reconciling the Si-health connection with the unhealthy Si-dominants thing)
    maybe Si dominants know their body states well, so they know when to binge and act stupid?
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you've done pretty well here, hellothere.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am completely not concerned about my health at all, on a physical level. yet i am one of the healthiest people....

i use my to manifest physical health from that place. like this: I *know* I am Dynamic Health and It is So. I have even "corrected" nearsightedness in this way, as well as other ailments and for others too. because of this knowing, i naturally take actions that ensure physical health without having to focus on it.

love
    kj

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your post hellothere.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
    ...wait...what??

- Voltaire

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dolphin makes meeeee soooooo infuriated omg argh. I wanna stab her with my nail file.
    D-SEI 9w1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Work is work. in america everything has to be fun or our small minds get bored.
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree completely with this...I think everything has to be fun, otherwise we're wasting our lives.

(okay, the hypothesis is that I am looking to maximize the amount of happiness throughout life)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heath, I think people see Fun as a main dish in their lives, instead of a great spice.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I disagree completely with this...I think everything has to be fun, otherwise we're wasting our lives.

(okay, the hypothesis is that I am looking to maximize the amount of happiness throughout life)
    you oftentimes end up tricking yourself into something is awesome("yeah dude, I'm doing LAUNDRY!!"). sometimes it is good to say "hey, this is going to be a neutral experience."

i definitely think any experience within your control should be made fun as possible, but you know, reality or whatever.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Heath, I think people see Fun as a main dish in their lives, instead of a great spice.
    yeah, fun is awesome. awesome.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When kids in my day recieved a small piece of hoarhound candy, they were over the moon. What enthusiasm. Compare that to the zombie-kids today's society produces. You just don't see that kind of sincere gratefulness anymore.
    it's true. it's all sarcasm and television programs. and saying 'oh shit!' whenever ANYTHING happens.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    it's true. it's all sarcasm and television programs. and saying 'oh shit!' whenever ANYTHING happens.

"no fun" dolphin?!? pshaw

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't eat a gogurt anymore without secretly being disappointed that you're not instantly made the most popular kid at school. Commercials are a bunch of crap.
    lol
    asd

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dolphin, if you're not pulling quotes from somewhere on some of this stuff then I have to say you're pretty f'n brilliant.

You've gone up a few steps in my book.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dolphin! I'm tired of this ISTp crap. Come back to ALPHA pleeeeaaaasssse!!!!!!!

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be clear on this. I've quoted Teddy Roosevelt a while back. Doesn't mean I'm some sort of puppet. I'll go edit my posts and give him credit where credit is due, then you can see what's his and what's mine.

He had nothing to do with most of this stuff. Including the hoarhound candy.
    I don't understand how you can switch gears like this, but kudos.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, this is interesting because I feel the same way. i "censor" these kinds of things for my kids.

love
    kj

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a goal and a purpose. Your whiny histronics have no place in my nearly invisible heart now. Go get a real hobby. And some fresh air while you're at it. If there's not a paper mill next door..
    ARRRGGGHHH! You are irritatingly good at this.

JRiddy

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    maybe Si dominants know their body states well, so they know when to binge and act stupid?
    that's probably true

one other thing I was going to say was that although Si-concerned intuitive types may be more conscious about being healthy, they're still probably not as good at "being healthy" than types strong in Si - so they might do things to try and be healthy which don't quite work.
    Last edited by hellothere; 05-05-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: sometimes I swap words around, substitute words for others which sound similar, or miss words completely.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's probably true

one other thing I was going to say was that although Si-concerned intuitive types may be more conscious about healthy, they're still probably not as good at "being healthy" than types strong in Si - so they might do things to try and be healthy which don't quite work.
    I agree. I think the intuitive types have to work harder to be healthy 'cause they don't have that innate knowledge, whereas Si types sort of just 'know' what their bodies need, but often just choose to ignore what they're telling them, or put their health on the backburner as far as their priorites go.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    well, this is interesting because I feel the same way. i "censor" these kinds of things for my kids.

love
    kj

it's a good idea. i think it might be better to talk to them about this stuff. i know corporate identity, lifestyle, groupthink and consumerism are abstract concepts, but they could really benefit from learning about the retarded shit is going to bombard them from age 10 and on.

sincerest friendship,
    heath
    asd

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si has nothing to do with physical health. I mean, look at Bionicgoat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    i agree. i haven't met a single si person who isn't sort of on the gluttonous side.
    asd

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree. i haven't met a single si person who isn't sort of on the gluttonous side.
    lol, LV, dolphin, bee, kam, etc? Granted you haven't physically met them.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was trying to reconcile. There does seem to be something to the Si-health connection, but then there are Si dominants who aren't very concerned about being healthy.

<actually slightly annoyed, did you read my post or just look at the title?!>

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<actually slightly annoyed, did you read my post or just look at the title?!>
    Sorry, the latter. I reread the first post now though.

I still don't think health is Si related. I think that bullshit about LIEs being unhealthy is just a side effect of not caring about their inner sensations because it just so happens that, coincidentally, most pleasant inner sensations are actually good for us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, the latter. I reread the first post now though.

I still don't think health is Si related. I think that bullshit about LIEs being unhealthy is just a side effect of not caring about their inner sensations because it just so happens that, coincidentally, most pleasant inner sensations are actually good for us.
    that's okay. And yeah I think that part at least highlights where the Si-health connection comes about from, even if there's not that much substance to it/it can't be extrapolated to more general claims

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's a good idea. i think it might be better to talk to them about this stuff. i know corporate identity, lifestyle, groupthink and consumerism are abstract concepts, but they could really benefit from learning about the retarded shit is going to bombard them from age 10 and on.

sincerest friendship,
    heath
    thanks heath,

oh yea! i talk with my kids about everything. and that kind of crap comes at them fast and heavy from a much earlier age than 10.

love,
    kj

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    Dolphin! I'm tired of this ISTp crap. Come back to ALPHA pleeeeaaaasssse!!!!!!!
    Seriously. what.is.going.on?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Seriously. what.is.going.on?
    There's a schism in Alpha right now. We've had people leave for Delta, people confuse with retarded emo nonsense, people get tired of said nonsense and drift away, and a few people trying to hold down the fort. It's a mess.

To answer this actual post, I have a couple of friends and one friend who almost never get sick, but when they do, they seem to handle it very poorly. None of these people are particularly neurotic about being sick or anything like that, but they just seem to easily maintain a healthy environment and body. The two SEIs I'm talking about rarely work out, but just maintain a casually healthy lifestyle. The SLI is a USAF pilot, so that may skew this view, but he worked out pretty regularly before he went to the academy, and has always just been aware of health concerns.

However, one SEI I know is a raging hypochondriac. It's probably the drugs that make her that way, and possibly her background in a very permissive family (she smoked her first weed with her parents at age 12), but she uses health concerns as a way to draw attention to herself.

I imagine, when psychologically healthy, -adepts keep themselves healthy in a nonchalant manner, cordially eschewing things that are unsanitary or unhealthy, and staying fit as a matter of course.

JRiddy

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just saw this thread.

Si is not health. end of discussion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to stay healthy, but i'm not neurotic about it. I mean, I love me some pizza and cheezeburgers.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    just saw this thread.

Si is not health. end of discussion.
    x2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast