Thread: The way you Visualize

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The way you Visualize

Imagine a rotating cube in your head. Do you see this movement as one fluid, continuous motion or more as choppy, static images?

My theory is that this relates to the static/dynamic dichotomy or to the rational/irrational dichotomy.

Tell me your results. (For me, I see the cube moving in terms of static images; I tend to see the cube more clearly at specific points throughout the rotation - namely, the starting and ending points.)

Jason

EDIT: Another example would be a pitcher throwing a baseball at you and you hitting the ball he/she throws. Do you see the whole scenario like a fluid, continuous movie playing in your head or more like through specific frames?
    Last edited by jason_m; 05-15-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Creepy-male

I try to, but then it does weird things like changing colours or sprouting fins.

Does that count?

EDIT

I can animate things in my head if I go completely Zen and lock onto them without focusing. But I do have experience watching my CEVs closely, so that could skew the results.

CEV. I'm naturally at level 3, but what I described seems to be to level 4.

Sorry to threadjack, but I wonder how your theory applies to CEVs. Secondary question... don't listen to me, listen to jason

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see it spinning, not freezing in frames. But it also occurred to me that sometimes in rolling images in the mind things freeze when examining them or when you want to remind yourself how they look or something.

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it as choppy images and not very detailed... but I doubt that this is type-related.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    I see it as choppy images and not very detailed... but I doubt that this is type-related.
    If something such as the fluidity of one's motor movements can be type-related, why can't this be? There doesn't have to be a perfect correlation. (Of course, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just not very fond of skeptics coming in and shooting down my theory before a decent number of people respond.)

Jason

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you actually telling me that some people can't imagine a cube rotating fluidly? fwiw, I can and it was a rubix cube. Hell, I can also do it with a package since I routinely spin those b's in my hands searching for labels. Anything you've seen or done I feel like you should be able to picture happening in your head. You already know what it looks like!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm a dynamic type and I see static images, so that can't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Are you actually telling me that some people can't imagine a cube rotating fluidly? fwiw, I can and it was a rubix cube. Hell, I can also do it with a package since I routinely spin those b's in my hands searching for labels. Anything you've seen or done I feel like you should be able to picture happening in your head. You already know what it looks like!
    Nah, I only see the images very vaguely. It's not even in color, which sucks. I think that some people are better at this than others. Isn't this one of the ways how you measure your IQ? Like rotating objects in your head.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Nah, I only see the images very vaguely. It's not even in color, which sucks. I think that some people are better at this than others. Isn't this one of the ways how you measure your IQ? Like rotating objects in your head.
    I'm a pretty badass visualizer. And I do remember in IQ tests where they ask questions like that. I don't exactly see how that would mean someone was smarter than someone else having trouble with it, as I'm not that good at a ton of things that I think are brilliant in other people. :tongue:
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

"The way you visualize things"

Gordon Freeman's answer

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I can't visualize things at all, really. I can only think of them. You tell me to imagine a spinning cube, I'll probably nod and take into account everything you're describing me. The descriptions build a sort of “image” I guess, but I don't see any image. I only know of what it's supposed to be like and how whatever you're describing will immediately affect other things.
    Yeah, I'm pretty similar. I kind of build mental impressions. It's kind of a discussion of semiotics, I think. Somebody uses a signifier, and our signified is not an image. Though I don't really think of how it will affect other things, but somebody says something and I automatically kind of have an immediate understanding of what it is they mean then my brain builds an instinctive array of layers of meaning and associated things.

In any case, I can sort of draw up an image of a cube if I put my music on and focus, but I cannot for the life of me make it move, lol.

Oh, wait. I lied. I just turned it into a cardboard box and imagined someone turning it. But I still can't do it independently, lol.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

I visualize things as fluid.

Visualizing a cube is difficult, it seems too abstract. Or maybe it's just case of trying to visiualize something on command, opposed to things coming randomly out of my imagination.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see them in static, choppy images.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's choppy, but with so many clips that it's almost fluid. Like a flip book.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    It's choppy, but with so many clips that it's almost fluid. Like a flip book.
    This is closer to what I was trying to say. It is sort of like a flip book for me as well.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see it as rotating fluidly. But I think that "the way I visualize" is very similar to this (especially the first and last part):

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I visualize things like mechanisms which work against each other. Expansion, contraction, branching, these are my principle visualizations.

I don't really rotate it or what, since in my imagination everything now is transparent. So rotating is one of the things that has gotten harder for me as I've gotten older.

I don't imagine physical things as they "are" in the world, but more abstract representations of them, perhaps even idealized but I don't take them as real. Suffice it to say, sometimes I miss individuality of things.

The most important thing about visualization for me isn't really what I see but mostly what I don't see but absolutely must be there for the mechanism to function. This is one of the technique I use in problem solving. I try to visualize as much of the mechanism of the problem as possible and where there is a black spot, there is a potential problem.
    Mostly when I'm alone and trying to solve problems. However, when I speak with other people, I always have images in my head of what I am describing, they pop out much more quickly than the words themselves.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really visual and see both as smooth. However, I am very bad at math, so if you were to ask me one of those SAT questions having to do with rotating an object, I would probably get it wrong. But I do have a general picture of a cube rotating smoothly.

However, if it were something less to do w/ math, let's say a horse spinning around, or a face, I would still see it smoothly, but the perspective would make more sense.

I would bet that more guys would see it as a choppy image (or have the ability to freeze frame it with the perspective of the cube still being correct), since I think more testosterone is suppose to help on spacial tasks...seeing it as a freeze frame would let someone answer those SAT questions better.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Why not just freeze it wherever you want to then?
    Because you don't have a refrigerator.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Diana

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A spinning cube...uh I can picture it but for some reason I'm picturing it centered in the middle of my physical brain, spinning kind of sloppily. Then it turns into that old windows screensaver with the colored cube that has ovals and spikes come out of it and stuff.

So my answer is it's kind half choppy/half smooth, and won't stay the same object.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Bow to the Ninchucks Microknight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't specify a color for the cube, so I chose black. I see a cube, spinning smoothly. I can smoothly rotate it any direction and stop it whenever I want.

I think it's interesting that people are seeing a choppily spinning cube, or the cube changes shapes. I never would have thought there was variation on such a thing.