Thread: Video game preferences by type

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Director Abbie - Odell Down Under?

In school, we had the option to play either Oregon Trail or Odell Down Under in our computer calss. Best class ever. *chomp*

Also, I recommend Plague Inc for those that want a fun strategic, "destroy everyone" game. You get to create a virus, choose which country in which to gestate, and evolve your virus to try and kill the whole world (resistances to heat or cold, ability to travel by air or sea, how it infects, symptoms and damage, etc). Meanwhile, you watch as news headlines flash on the game screen, indicating the human race's progress in demolishing you. It's fun and fairly challenging.
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Minecraft was built by a Holographic thinker I think for holographic thinkers. It also appeals to a lot of other folks.

Many JRPG I think are a mix of Ni and Fe or Te. With often LII villains. Prime examples are Final Fantasy, and Chronos Trigger, Xenosaga, Xenoblade.

Xenosaga's developer name is Monolith Soft, a homage to Kubrick Monolith in 2001.

Also the first game was "The Will to Power", from Nietzsche's book. I think the Xenosaga/Xenoblade games are very heavily Ni.

Diablo 1/2/3 is Gamma all the way. Death metal stat grind.

Starcraft is beta/gamma solo micro/macro strategic play

Solo FPS has the same appeal to beta/gamma players.

Tactical FPS like counter-strike is more Beta, Delta.

World of Warcraft is aristocratic, the top Wow guilds imo are beta, the social interaction of Wow forms disciplined almost military like groups of players who invest 40+ hours a week to do co-operative actions. The leadership is secretive, often despotic and mostly sadistic, they engage in clannish behavior and competitions in all aspects of the game. The other side of the game is this huge diverse and expansive game world full of small things to explore and do which appeal to solo/group exploration with little or no competition and little to no risk. This appeals primarily to Delta quadra, but also appeals in small does to some alpha types(however they require some social engagement), it appeals to some gamma completionists.

Need to talk about Flow/Flower/Cloud/Journey games because I think this is a alpha/delta focused game, Jenova Chen I think is EII or ILE, probably ILE not EII. I'm not exactly sure which one. These game are about as pure a artistic experience as I've seen in a game, especially Journey, which is one of the most artistic games ever made.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I loved watching others play RPGs like all the Zelda and Final Fantasy games. I could watch for hours as long as they let me read the dialogue and I could hear the music.

Games I liked to play Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal. Resident Evil gave me nightmares. I played others too but nothing really notable other than Donkey Kong and Ms Pac-Man. I am not sure I really liked it them.When I was a kid and preferred playing pool, riding horses, practicing archery and martial arts to playing video games. I would still play Mortal Kombat and Twisted Metal. I think. I have the new Destiny and the first Tomb Raider on my Xbox one. I tried to get into them and can't. My brother plays Destiny a lot, like all night for 6-8 hours. It is annoying when he gets nothing else done. He is IEI.
    Last edited by Aylen; 12-01-2014 at 04:14 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minecraft seems more Gamma to me. I think it was conceived of by a holographic thinker, but from what i've seen, it's playstyle isn't HP style, but more CD or if-then.

Plague Inc, have enjoyed that one too, off and on. It was interesting watching news about ebola, while recalling the ideas and concepts of Plague Inc. Not that I wanted ebola to win, but I just kept thinking of how virus' and such sneak across borders, mutate, stay hidden until it's too late, countries shutting down borders and traveling, etc.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Minecraft seems more Gamma to me. I think it was conceived of by a holographic thinker, but from what i've seen, it's playstyle isn't HP style, but more CD or if-then.

Plague Inc, have enjoyed that one too, off and on. It was interesting watching news about ebola, while recalling the ideas and concepts of Plague Inc. Not that I wanted ebola to win, but I just kept thinking of how virus' and such sneak across borders, mutate, stay hidden until it's too late, countries shutting down borders and traveling, etc.
    It's a hp style, the fundamental building block in the game is a block. There's some CD style blueprints mods out there but fundamentally it's very holographic. The game-world is generated holographically from basic blocks and the playstyle is one block at a time, it take a lot of effort for any sort of basic CD mechanism to be generated in the game world. There is really no high level CD mechanics in the game without figuring it out somehow from the basic blocks and mechanics. CD games are like Journey, this is a game that starts the same and ends the same, but the Journey(process) is key, in this particular aspect, the emotional/sensory experience is what the game should illicit and the game attempt to achieve very specific, pre-tested responses. Every mechanic and rule of the game is in service to achieving this specific response.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I admit i haven't played it, only seen my daughter playing it with her friends, and some youtube videos regarding it.
    I don't see it as HP because the blocks aren't helping me seeing differing viewpoints of something. Nothing more than any other 3d game environment would.
    But it could be that it's just not HP Ne specific...there's no focus on using HP to perceive the essence of anything.
    But on the other hand, if one looks at Ne as possibilities, then it's full of that, yes.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-male

From Software's Souls series. I've come to the conclusion that these games are by far my favorite. Extremely difficult and just a totally brutal, dark, and foreboding atmosphere -- yet so wondrous and rewarding.

I can't wait for Bloodborne to arrive.

Hidetaka Miyazaki is the game series producer/director -- I get something of a Stephen Fry V.I. vibe but I'm not sure of his type.

Attachment 4775

Attachment 4776

"What you see if often of far less importance than to what is veiled"

"We spent a long time discussing the base concept of the art design," explains Miyazaki, asked how the team of artists and designers that he manages constructed Dark Souls' visual design. "The game focuses a lot on death, but what is death? What does it look like? What does death mean in this world? What does it mean to live and to die? That is something we discussed very closely. The story is about a fire in the world, a symbol of both living and death. The fire is what brought death to Dark Souls' world, but also the only hope for life. Demons, chaos, dragons, all of them are different incarnations and representations of our idea of death in Dark Souls."

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh, I also loved Oregon Trail 2. And Operation Neptune was fun, but when I was a kid I thought that game was too hard. My older brother was pretty good at it. I played it later as a teenager and was surprised that it wasn't as difficult as I'd remembered.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oregon Trail is fun until you die of cholera.

And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    --- @Holon What do you mean by walking simulators? Like the ones that produce a scenery while you walk in place?
    It's a tongue in cheek name for an indie genre that focuses on exploration, lack of violence, and some kind of beautiful or horrifying emotional experience. Proteus, Gone Home, Eidolon, Dear Esther. So named because there's a lot of walking, and because "simulator" is something of an ironic statement nowadays amongst gamers.

http://store.steampowered.com/tag/en...ab=NewReleases

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a gamer as long as I can remember and in fact games form a large part of my identity, even if I don't necessarily play every day. I remember being very young and playing Warcraft: Orcs & Humans at a relative's house. My dad also showed me games like Lemmings and Doom around the same time.

Some of my favorite games off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Strategy / Simulation

Starcraft
    Heroes of Might & Magic 3
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    Crusader Kings II
    Dungeon Keeper 2
    FTL: Faster than Light
    Monster Rancher series
    Papers, Please

Action

Super Smash Bros series
    Super Meat Boy
    Spelunky
    Super Monkey Ball
    Mass Effect series
    The Last of Us
    Super Hexagon

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

action + adventure ... with an intriguing story or coop or both.

TIM
    ENFp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually prefer to play games with other people; TF2 is probably the one I play most, but I have a love/hate relationship with that one in that a huge chunk of its community is aggressively autistic so it frequently takes a lot of the fun out of it; still, there's a lot of people who know how to actually have fun in it. With close friends OTOH, I love Smash Bros., GTA Online (only played IV tho), Minecraft, GMod; anything where I can just goof around in always turns out to be hilarious. Occasionally if I will play something solo, I'll opt for Dark Souls 2 or any of the various emulators I have, among which Mario or Pokemon are my top choices. CiV is another really interesting one but it's such a major time leech that I had to stop playing; I've never been good with RTS games, though I've played most of them (mostly due to a friend who likes them.)

The game I probably hate most would be CoD, for no reason besides the community; my SXE brother seems to adore the game for some reason, but I don't see how he puts up with all the kids and man-children who flock to it. It aggravates me to no end how searingly abrasive some people can be on that game, you'd have to pay me by the hour to play it.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I mainly play FPSs now like COD, Battlefield, Titanfall, etc. I won't even play the story modes, I mainly wanna play online so I can annihilate other people. My game style is usually infighter and impulsive. I like Hardcore Search and Destroy in COD because it's more intense and competitive, I get classes where I can run as fast as I can to pick off all my enemies. I can't snipe or camp though, just go with instincts while moving.

Used to like RPGs and stuff though.

Oh, and I do play the new Smash on Wii U every now and then.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I like RPG's. I'm a big fan of Zelda.
    Same here. Do you have a favorite Zelda game? I think my favorite is Majora's Mask- for all of the sidequests and eccentricity. I enjoy them all though, even the original 8-bit game- even though the graphics are so horribly dated it's funny. I wonder if certain types are attracted more the series than others. I enjoy most the puzzle solving and exploration aspects of it. Also you have to think outside the box a little bit at times- think of creative ways to use the item you just acquired. I can see +

I also like fooling around in the villages, talking to the all the different eccentric characters. Also just taking in the atmosphere- especially with the different styles of dungeons as seen in Twilight Princess or Ocarina of Time. I'm less interested in the fighting, combat aspects of it ( ) but some of the battles I've found quite enjoyable- the designs of the bosses themselves are clever and I think of them like a puzzle to solve.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite game of all time.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly rpg's preferabvly fantasy themed ones.

played some shooters, never really got into it.

I liked turn based strategy (civ, heroes, age of wonders etc etc) but only hotseat with friends.

MMORPGs once stole my time, nowadays i'm cured.

so yeah, mostly escapist stuff that's easy (click click click reward jeeeeej) and otherworldly with strong prefernce for good and surprising stories (ff7 <3)

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    This is a pretty funny game.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

PES(6-12)
    FIFA(13-15)
    Nba 2k (14-15)
    CIV 5
    Europa universalis 4
    Stronghold
    Tzar
    Cossacks
    lotr battle of midle earth 2
    empire earth 2

Creepy-male

Well fuck me I love this game called Bloodborne.

TIM
    Ni-ENTj 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-LIE

I play a ton of JRPGs and a side sprinkle of fighting and puzzle games.

I'm terrible at FPSs on consoles (much better on computer) and generally avoid seeking them out. I find WRPGs kind of irritating. I don't play sports games at all, and I'm much better at actual guitar and bass than Guitar Hero.

Favourite games:
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy XII
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Soul Calibur 2
    Dark Chronicle
    Persona 4
    SMT: Nocturne
    Portal 2
    Catherine
    LoZ: Majora's Mask
    Journey
    Banjo Kazooie
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Crash Bandicoot 2
    Persona 4 Arena (but it's basically just re-dressed Guilty Gear)
    Breath of Fire 4

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I consider myself diehard gamer and my favorite type of games are mostly atmospheric FPS.

CoD 4, W@W, and MW2, didnt care much for other CoDs past MW2.
    The Last of Us
    Dead Space 1 and 2 (as you can see by my avatar)
    All the bioshocks, especially 2
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Borderlands 1/2
    All Metal Gear Solids
    Star Wars battlefront 2, the new one will probably join the list
    Dead Island/Dying light

Other games I greatly enjoyed:

All the demon's/dark souls games.
    Civ 5
    FF6, FF7 and final fantasy tactics

I have a love/hate relationship with LoL and Dota.

As a side note I'm am addicted to game soundtracks. I can listen to final fantasy all day.
    Last edited by Muddy; 08-19-2015 at 03:10 PM.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI so none of them

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mainly FPS and TPS. Couldn't stand Civ (too slow), nor any strategy game (too slow, need fast paced games).

TIM
    LIE-ni 8w7contraflow
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly sandbox games where there's no limit, like killing npcs, stealing their stuff or gold, buying properties, anyway bringing capitalism to the game. examples?:

-The elder scrolls: skyrim.
    -Fallout series (4' is coming)
    -GTA

if the story is good enough i can give it a try, games like mass effect and metal gear solid are just brutal.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've actually played kinda a lot of videogames. Less of them, recently. Usually don't finish games I've started.
    Not sure if my tastes are typical for my type, but here's off the top of my head:

Myst

Journaliere
    http://bartbonte.com/portal/journaliere.html

A House in California
    http://cardboardcomputer.com/games/a...in-california/

Banished - this feels Gamma
    http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/game/

Also:
    Played a couple versions of Civ and related games. Always felt gungho at the beginning, but I've probably only ever finished a game like, once.
    The Sims. Intensively lived out a boring life.
    Grew up with several Nintendo consoles. Occasionally some PS2, Xbox.
    Various casual computer games. Sometimes indie stuff. Point and click.
    iOS games. Poker, Clash of Clans, Pocket Planes, Candy Crush etc.
    No sports games. No shooters yet.

The more peaceful the game, the better.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

mostly played in 3D shooters

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    none of them
    Try non-aggressive games like Sims, puzzles, etc.

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    BAMF
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post

Or that Brain Training game. Found that beneficial, but tbh, violent video games are the shit. Even for non-violent people. Everyone has to let it all out sometimes, though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    violent video games are the shit
    Until wars and destruction are part of the world, such games will stay popular. Similar situation is with movies.
    Sensory types and Se valued may like such games mostly.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually hate puzzles and can never do them accurately but I used to really like the Civilization games and when I was younger the Doom games and Wolfenstein and Grand Theft Auto. It's just now I literally see no point in playing them. Oh and my dad used to have Myst and its sister games but I would always give up on them after about 10 minutes lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I used to really like the Civilization games and when I was younger the Doom games and Wolfenstein and Grand Theft Auto. It's just now I literally see no point in playing them.
    So you liked strategy games. Not violent ones. Younger period is less important.
    Hence mentioned Sims you would like too, and not hard puzzles like Zuma, Tetris.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you liked strategy games. Not violent ones. Younger period is less important.
    Hence mentioned Sims you would like too, and not hard puzzles like Zuma, Tetris.
    Lol I actually do/did like violent games as well as some strategy; I listed several violent ones.. it's just that I don't like games in general much anymore. And yeah sims is fun!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I listed several violent ones
    "and when I was younger"
    Until 16 years self-consciousness is not full-grown. Hence behavior typical for type is not stable.

And yeah sims is fun!
    But not violent modern 3D shooters, because Se is doubtful to be valued or strong.
    Last edited by Sol; 08-18-2015 at 07:29 PM.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"and when I was younger"
    Until 16 years self-consciousness is not full-grown. Hence behavior typical for type is not stable.

But not violent modern 3D shooters, because Se is doubtful to be valued or strong.
    Omg, when I said childhood I was referring to all games that I played so I used to like Sims, Civilization, Doom, GTA, etc in childhood. I don't really like any of them now but honestly if I had to pick now I would play a first person shooter or civilization. That's how I meant it.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Omg, when I said childhood I was referring to all games that I played so I used to like Sims, Civilization, Doom, GTA, etc in childhood. I don't really like any of them now but honestly if I had to pick now I would play a first person shooter or civilization. That's how I meant it.
    Throw him/her a bone.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

if I had to pick now I would play a first person shooter or civilization
    You can pick up, but I doubt you'd like to play FPS now. As I've said, your preferences in childhood mean little. While the only game you've said as liked in more mature state was Civilization wich is not violent what fits my assumption about your type as not Se valued.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    Throw him/her a bone
    I prefer the video-interview.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can pick up, but I doubt you'd like to play FPS now. As I've said, your preferences in childhood mean little. While the only game you've said as liked in more mature state was Civilization wich is not violent what fits my assumption about your type as not Se valued.

I prefer the video-interview.
    Okay because of this I actually spent like an hour downloading Doom 2 and forcing it to work on my modern computer and it was pretty enjoyable bc of that nostalgia factor... so thanks!

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to play WoW.

I actually prefer competitive games, or solo games with a rich story.

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamma SF(most likely ESI):

YES things:

-> good story / believable characters etc
    -> good mechanics / controls
    -> art: Realistic Fantasy / Dark Fantasy
    -> action oriented
    -> create your own character
    -> cooperative gameplay
    -> singleplayer / smallscale multiplayer
    -> Cause and Effect
    -> Good, quality art(sound and visuals)
    -> Action (MM)ORPGs, strategies, action avantures etc are alright
    -> As are games like BattleField(preferably classic BFs prior to CoD-isation of the series)

NO things:

-> too random(perfect example: Path of Exile item design)
    -> lack of or bad story
    -> WoW / GW2 artstyle
    -> too much senseless violence(MK, GTA etc)
    -> very competitive gameplay(FPS and MOBA genre)
    -> Meaningless, random gameplay(Minecraft)
    -> large volume multiplayer
    -> "old school"
    -> modern FPS games as well as UT of any kind
    -> too morbid, too immoral, too strange story(Game of Thrones etc)

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

(other threads)
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...and-preference
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...o-amp-PC-Games

Initial exploratory factor analyses suggested that the genres board
    and card games and text adventure did not load well on any
    factors. These genres were excluded and a five-factor solution was
    chosen as best representing the structure of genre categories. The
    first factor included positive loadings on party, music and casual
    games; the second factor included positive loadings on sport,
    racing, flight simulation, simulation and fighting games; the third
    factor included positive loadings on first- and third-person
    shooters and negative loadings on educational and puzzle games;
    the fourth factor included positive loadings on role-playing
    games, MMORPGs, action RPGs, turn-based strategy and realtime
    strategy games; and the fifth factor included positive
    loadings on action-adventure and platform games.
    For extraversion, there was a significant overall effect of genre
    (F(5,374)=3.297, p<.01), with party, music and casual games
    significantly positively related to extraversion scores (β=0.208,
    p<.001), and role-playing games, MMORPGs, action role-playing
    games, turn-based strategy and real-time strategy games
    marginally negatively related to extraversion scores (β= - 0.088,
    p<0.1).
    Conscientiousness showed a significant overall effect of genre
    (F(5,375)=2.480, p<.05), with sport, racing, flight simulation,
    simulation and fighting games significantly positively related to
    conscientiousness scores (β=0.194, p<.001).
    A significant overall effect of genre was also seen with openness
    to experience (F(5,375)=2.333, p<.05), with action adventure and
    platformer games significantly positively related to openness to
    experience scores (β=0.139, p<.02).
    The results show that people who enjoy casual, music and party
    games tend to be more extraverted and that people who enjoy
    role-playing games, MMORPGs, action role-playing games, turnbased
    strategy and real-time strategy games tend to be less
    extraverted. Additionally, people who like sport, racing, flight
    simulation, simulation and fighting games tend to be more
    conscientious. Finally, people who like action adventure and
    platform games tend to be more open to experience.

4.1 Discussion
    The major contribution of this study is the identification of
    statistically significant relationships between personality traits (as
    defined by the 5 factor model of personality) and preference for
    particular game genres. Highly extraverted people are social,
    outgoing and energetic, and hence, it is unsurprising to note that
    these people are more attracted to casual, music and party games.
    These game genres require higher levels of social interaction and
    movement, which could be expected to attract more extraverted
    people.
    On the other hand, MMORPG, role-playing games, action roleplaying
    games, turn-based strategy and real-time strategy games
    are primarily of a strategic nature and do not require physical
    exertion for game play. Although some games in these genres
    allow for or require the formation of relationships and thus, there
    can be a social online atmosphere associated with game play, the
    interaction is of a virtual nature and arguably less than that
    involved in music, party and casual games. Moreover, oftentimes
    these games involve mainly solo play. Thus, it make sense that
    extraversion was found to be negatively related with games in
    these categories.
    Sport, racing, flight simulation, simulation and fighting games are
    largely task and goal-orientated and require the player to complete
    ongoing events, such as races, fights and sporting competitions,
    for game progression. Similarly, simulation games are often very
    task-focused. Conscientiousness, of which task orientation is an
    associated trait, was significantly linked to these particular game
    genres. It seems reasonable to conclude that it is these largely task
    based aspects of these games that draw more conscientious people
    to them.
    Finally, action adventure and platform games require exploration
    and player quests. Openness to experience was positively
    correlated with this type of game play, which seems likely to
    reflect the inquisitive and exploratory nature of people high in this
    trait.
    Interestingly, no relationship was found between
    conscientiousness and puzzle or educational games. It seems
    feasible that people high in conscientious would be attracted to
    the somewhat task based nature of these games. Future research
    will be needed to further explore the possibility of this link. It
    should be noted that the sample in the current study consisted
    largely of students enrolled in a video game studies unit, and
    hence, the findings may not be applicable to a broader sample.
    study source: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/59976/1/a20-peever.pdf

The primary intent of this study was to test
    whether there would be significant correlations
    between a person’s score on each of the
    different Five Factors and how much he or she
    preferred to play different genres of video
    games. Preference was measured by both a selfreported
    score for enjoyment and a self-reported
    score for ease for each of the games. To analyze
    the data, we first paired each participant’s score
    on each of the Five Factors with their rating of
    ease and liking of each of the four video game
    genres. Then, we found the correlation for each
    of these. We performed both a Pearson
    correlation test and a Spearman correlation test
    between each of the Five Factors and liking and
    ease of each genre. Table 1 lists the four
    correlations that were significant for both
    Pearson’s and Spearman’s.
    There was a statistically significant moderate
    negative relationship between conscientiousness
    and ease of playing an FPS r(61) = -0.415,
    rs(61) = -.381, p < .01. This indicates that
    people who scored lower on conscientiousness
    reported higher ease when playing FPS (See
    Figure 1).

There was a statistically significant positive
    Pearson correlation between extraversion and
    ease of dancing games, r(61) =0.298, p < .05, as
    well as a statistically significant positive
    Spearman correlation, rs(61) = 0.292, p < .05,
    indicating that those who scored higher on
    extraversion also reported higher ease on
    dancing games (See Figure 2).

There was also a statistically significant
    moderate positive relationship between
    extraversion and liking of dancing games r(61)
    = 0.328, p <. 01 found in the Pearson correlation
    test and the Spearman correlation test rs(61) =
    0.363, p < .01, indicating that those who scored
    higher on extraversion reported a higher liking
    of dancing games (See Figure 3). Agreeableness
    and liking of dancing were also positively
    statistically related r(61) =.273, rs(61) = .288, p
    < .05. (See Figure 4).

All other correlations were not found to be
    statistically significant (See Table 2 for
    complete table of correlations and significance
    levels).
    Additionally, we considered the correlations
    between liking and ease of playing within each
    genre. In all four cases, there was significance
    as shown in Table 2, but the magnitudes of the
    Liking of Dancing Games
    Extraversion
    Liking of Dancing Games v
    Extraversion
    Liking of Dancing Game
    Agreeableness
    Liking of Dancing Game v
    Agreeableness
    Ease of Dancing Game
    Extraversion
    Ease of Dancing Game v
    Extraversion
    Human-Computer Interaction Technical Report 5/06/2013

relationships were statistically different. Racing
    and fighting genres showed weaker
    relationships between liking and ease of play
    while first-person shooter and dance games
    showed very strong relationships between liking
    and ease of play.
    Finally, we looked at the marginal means
    between the categories for both ease and liking.
    Figures 5 shows the relationship between the
    average means for ease and liking respectively.
    The difference between means for liking was
    not significant F(168)=1.583, p > 0.1. The
    difference between the means for ease was
    significant F(176) =18.325, p <.01.
    (figures omitted)
    study source: http://hcil2.cs.umd.edu/trs/2013-08/2013-08.pdf

Post others if you find them! (it may be best for this post to be moved to the general Psychology subforum: I don't know).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast