Thread: denver shooting

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default denver shooting

*mind the environment*
    Last edited by felafel; 08-05-2012 at 03:27 AM.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yup, I posted a side story about it here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...al-Destination

Anyways, it boggles my mind to what compels people to commit such atrocious acts. There's little back story at his life atm, but I'm sure the answers will become clear with time. I wonder if he was abused all his life and couldn't take it anymore and just snapped or if he's just insane and completely evil. I can't really type him now based on the limited information available about him atm.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a deeper trend here: first the zombie attacks, now this. (although I think it goes back a little farther). People's fantasies are getting away with them. Delusional individuals are just as dangerous today as career criminals. But the problem is our attitudes both towards our entertainment, and our society.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This will seem cynical and callous but, after years of observing how people react to these things, I've basically come to the conclusion that people love shit like this.

It allows the gun rights wackos to project their hero complex and rescue fantasies onto the scenario ("If I'd been there with a gun, we wouldn't be talking about no 12 victims..."); the jejune, pneumatic housewives to wring their hands about the glorification of violence in the media; the droves of disgruntled adolescent schizoids to vicariously vent some of their slowly percolating misanthropy; and finally, the Socionists to delve into a broken mind. (That last one's more tongue-in-cheek, lol.) Sure, there is some genuine horror and grief mixed in there but mostly this is just another titilating, salacious little morsel to satiate people's collectively repressed urges to lacerate the stultifying effects of order and predictability, and exercise our fondness for recreational outrage. An international pasttime, it's become. Twitter and Facebook right now are a circus of thinly veiled bloodlust. There's a true crime forum I found a while back full of bored would-be detectives who thrive on murders of this sort like dung beetles on... dung. The more tragic, the more heartbreaking, the better.

I'm not judging. It's just that I get the impression that no one really wants this sort of thing to go away. We need our bi-annual massacre. Our real-life horror show. Of course, none of this should be surprising. Species do not evolve all that fast. It was only a relatively short while ago that humans dedicated huge stadiums to watch organized bloodsport, or when people gathered for public hangings and floggings. Actual violent crime as gone down, according to most counts but whatever lead people to the gladiator theatres still exists in our psyches.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Creepy-male

This is fucked up, I heard he shot people up during a shooting scene. It's kind of messed up how people will target others at their most inane and weakest point.

Also what baby wrote is interesting and that sort of thing has passed my mind, how certain people will be sustained off the suffering of others for their enlightenment or mental stimulation.

I may have more to say later, but that's all for now.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    This is fucked up, I heard he shot people up during a shooting scene. It's kind of messed up how people will target others at their most inane and weakest point.

Also what baby wrote is interesting and that sort of thing has passed my mind, how certain people will be sustained off the suffering of others for their enlightenment or mental stimulation.

I may have more to say later, but that's all for now.
    Yup. That's the allure. It's a revenge thing. There's a certain karma to it. Sometimes the most hurtful thing can be the indifference of all the people around to your suffering. He transferred that onto others. And I'm not saying this is a very good outlet for such feelings or even something that can truly bring a person any kind of karmic peace to do, but that these cause-effect relationships happen on a psychic and abstract level, regardless of how they are rationalized. People that have to label him as evil or scapegoat his actions by stigmatizing a part of culture as the sole cause of his actions are idiots and will only perpetuate these things with their pathetic ignorance and undisciplined minds. And maybe that's all karma really is when people won't realize/accept that they are part of the cycle of harm.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felafel View Post
    k guys, i think it's great you're crawling onto others' psyches (this dude's, mine, and even the collective psyche etc). but pls do try and chime in with your thoughts on the poor chap's type, will ya? k, thanks
    EXTp, Ne-ENTp > Se-ESTp.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HereNowTHIS View Post
    This will seem cynical and callous but, after years of observing how people react to these things, I've basically come to the conclusion that people love shit like this.
    Likewise, I've been amused at the predictable rhetoric issuing from libtard blogs and conservatard radio shows inspired by this event, mostly concerning gun control and "the other side's" supposedly nefarious agenda. Even more amusing is that the commentariat I've encountered thus far have have been too preoccupied wringing political milk from this spree killing to pause and at least give lip service to the human loss involved. America, fuck yeah!

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After hearing about the event I stopped to consider all the selfish political pundit snobs who would misuse this event to blame the other side for the problem, then proceeded to mentally punch the shit out of them.

Guy seems Ti and sx last like fuck

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't. I actually like it when people get along. Violence belongs in fantasy. Hatred and sociopathy in real life is just draining and anybody that supports it is weird, like something always seems 'off' about them.

I know it's easy to see that people like drama and fighting and being cruel and a lot of people are that way, for some reason or another, but there are still sweeties left. Our culture just needs to get over the 'its okay to be an asshole' thing because it really isn't. Well not this level of assholery that's pure destruction... but it starts with minor cruelty.

The dude's eyes are fucked up btw, like he enjoys trolling the baby Jesus and laughing about it.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Money helps me choose what I want to be. But I don't want to see..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1xFGv1FN4

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, i think it's a futile exercise to try to type him. He's clearly mentally ill. You can't accurately type someone who has untreated mental illness as it's difficult to separate manifestations of his psychiatric condition from his type-related phenotype.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Creepy-male

You know I don't think its always that bad to analyze the events surrounding things like this. I've always been interested in the motives behind things like this at a guteral level, because it can be very confounding at first glance why someone would perform such a random act of violence. I've also been interested before at thinking at what the possible solution to preventing these things are -- you know delving into things like, maybe it was violent video games, or it wasn't, or maybe its gun control that's the problem. I don't really see a problem with that at first glance. I think the problem is, the political agendas certain people have start off as asking questions on how to prevent things like this, but quickly devolve into something else for pundits. Overtime it becomes less about thinking of actual realistic and rational solutions to societies problems with an empathetic viewpoint and more about appeasing their self-righteous grandiose image of "here's the best plan for America" and then capitalizing on every tragedy or mundane event to support their case and attack the opposition.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't think its that bad to think about events like these in terms of politics or crime, I just think that there is a point were it becomes somewhat disingenuous and exploiting, things that may have had their genesis in actual concern for other people but quickly devolved into something different throughout the course of events.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boring.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    boring.
    Ye, let's shoot someone, me and you, labcoat.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya i'm convinced of Ti too... The yearbook pic looks istj to me...

@WA: obv., i think otherwise.I don't know how *clearly* mentally ill he is, but some people shoot themselves under such circumstances and other people choose to shoot others...there's a difference. feel free to contribute your thoughts to what you believe to be less futile enterprises tho.
    you do have a point there.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What baby said. Everyone elses post was stoopid. And so is typing him.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    I guess i'm not the only one who thinks so... @felafel

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackburry View Post
    Nyah nyah

He reminds me superficially of my girlfriends SLI-Si brother, but looks extroverted...ILE-Ti might be right.

Oh and fwiw I also agree with baby's post. All hail our local buddha for actually having real common sense wisdom to share
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy was probably just increasingly detached from reality. From what I've understood, he came from a long period of unemployment + academic research. Likely has been completely isolated from human contact for 4-5 years. It's not that surprising that he might consider such an act as having no consequences, since he might not have any human affective links anymore.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The guy was probably just increasingly detached from reality. From what I've understood, he came from a long period of unemployment + academic research. Likely has been completely isolated from human contact for 4-5 years. It's not that surprising that he might consider such an act as having no consequences, since he might not have any human affective links anymore.
    Still, lots of people are socially isolated and dont go out and do mass murders.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Still, lots of people are socially isolated and dont go out and do mass murders.
    So, what does this mean? I don't understand the point. Given that he is a mass murderer, ex post you try to find an explanation...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

****** for example, I heard that wanker drank beer in cellar.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    So, what does this mean? I don't understand the point. Given that he is a mass murderer, ex post you try to find an explanation...
    I was thinking the same thing about your post. You seem to provide social isolation as an explanation for his action. I dont buy it.

He might have been socially isolated and detached BECAUSE he has some mental illness (like depression perhaps) and not the other way around.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought he looked like an INFp...
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was thinking the same thing about your post. You seem to provide social isolation as an explanation for his action. I dont buy it.

He might have been socially isolated and detached BECAUSE he has some mental illness (like depression perhaps) and not the other way around.
    He had no depression. As long you want to throw disorders around try codependent personality disorder.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My only EII cousin was there. He didn't die. I'm glad that theater is bigger than ours. Otherwise a dozen people could have been everybody.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    My only EII cousin was there. He didn't die. I'm glad that theater is bigger than ours. Otherwise a dozen people could have been everybody.
    OMG that hits really close to home Abbie!! I am glad your cousin is ok...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish it wasn't so easy to just innocently go about buying weapons and explosives over the course of several months and stockpile it all in your apartment. I might be interested in knowing if one of my neighbors has enough explosives in his/her apt to blow up the entire building. I don't know. I think there should be a reporting system on this kind of stuff so law enforcement is aware that someone bought a shitload of lethal weapons in a short time period.
    Last edited by marooned; 07-21-2012 at 10:34 PM.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot buy explosives without a construction permit. He was not using explosives but propane and other things that can explode, but that are not sold as explosives.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well he still bought several guns - i probably think that should be reported too. i guess he could just say it's for hunting and um his own protection. maybe it just wouldn't go anywhere as far as prevention.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy fuck survival guide:
    Open space - RUN
    Crowded space - HIT THE DECK
    Outer space - ACTIVATE THRUSTERS
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    Ti-ILE, 6w5- sp.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    You know I don't think its always that bad to analyze the events surrounding things like this. I've always been interested in the motives behind things like this at a guteral level, because it can be very confounding at first glance why someone would perform such a random act of violence. I've also been interested before at thinking at what the possible solution to preventing these things are -- you know delving into things like, maybe it was violent video games, or it wasn't, or maybe its gun control that's the problem. I don't really see a problem with that at first glance. I think the problem is, the political agendas certain people have start off as asking questions on how to prevent things like this, but quickly devolve into something else for pundits. Overtime it becomes less about thinking of actual realistic and rational solutions to societies problems with an empathetic viewpoint and more about appeasing their self-righteous grandiose image of "here's the best plan for America" and then capitalizing on every tragedy or mundane event to support their case and attack the opposition.

So I guess what I'm saying is I don't think its that bad to think about events like these in terms of politics or crime, I just think that there is a point were it becomes somewhat disingenuous and exploiting, things that may have had their genesis in actual concern for other people but quickly devolved into something different throughout the course of events.
    I agree with this. It's not so much that this event provokes genuine concern and discourse about possibly causes/contributors. That is healthy and probably necessary to make any progress. It was more observing how people can so easily turn murder into a form of entertainment, like a real live episode of CSI, or opportunistically and instantly bring out their soapbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Nyah nyah

He reminds me superficially of my girlfriends SLI-Si brother, but looks extroverted...ILE-Ti might be right.

Oh and fwiw I also agree with baby's post. All hail our local buddha for actually having real common sense wisdom to share
    I need to find a way to start making money off my verbiage. Rich, fat Oprah > homeless, starving Buddha
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

He's some sort of a thinker type.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

(PS: apologies to Abbie - i didn't realize there might be people here who've had a personal encounter with the event).
    No apologies necessary. My cousin is fine, though I heard he feels a little guilty for not being able to help more. I probably would too if I had that many black belts.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I am just glad I don't live in Aurora.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast