Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Bargain Thread: Post Things You Got for Cheap

This thread shall be a testament to shameless consumerism. Post things -- furniture, apparel, victuals (food), incunabula (books), drugs, etc. -- that you procured at modest price, here. Feel free also to post deals/bargains you haven't bought, but others may benefit from online as well.

Today, I wandered into a secondhand bookstore I've never seen before, and found this gargantuan volume for $3.00:

The Riverside Shakespeare is a single-volume edition of all of Shakespeare's writings with notes, essays, and pictures. This is an older edition (1974) than the one you can buy nowadays (1996), but they have pretty much the same content and I like this cover better.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A dvd collection by an unpopular band, dollar a piece. In a small, independently owned record store.

You just never know what you'll find in the merchandise section since the merchandise is all random (which makes it more fun)

The dvd quality was damaged and shitty, but that and the jump cuts gave it a more realistic flavor. Mainstream stores blow.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A lighter I traded for something I can't remember.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Go driving in the suburbs when people have garage sales. You can get some really nice stuff for cheap, it takes some browsing around but it's worth it.

We bought my nephew a REALLY nice house playset for only $10 at a garage sale that was originally $90 in stores and it still works great. There's only like two pieces missing which is irrelevant 'cuz they are only the other plastic mail pieces for the mailbox and it already comes with one and that's all he needs anyway. It's one of those things where you couldn't believe somebody only paid 10 bucks for it.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found an old ibook in for $10 at a thrift shop, spent $5 for a new power jack, and sold it for $300 recently.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chinese phones with quad core processors and high definition screens are very cheap at international webstores these days; unfortunately they tend to have poor connectivity to US 3G networks so this is mostly of interest to people living in other places (works well pretty much everywhere other than North and South america), or people who don't use high speed data much.

interesting deals in particular:
    - Haier W910 - about $135; dual core snapdragon Krait @ 1.5Ghz; 1280 x 720 screen @ 4.5", 8MP camera
    - cubot GT99 - about $156; mediatek quad core 1.2Ghz; 1280 x 720 screen @ 4.5", 12.5MP camera (does not work even on 2G in North and South America)
    - IOcean X7 Turbo - about $220; mediatek quad core 1.5Ghz; 1920 x 1080 screen @ 5", 12.5MP camera

same goes for chinese tablet PCs and various other electronic product types.

the Google Nexus 4 was recently priced down to $199,- (in USA; more expensive elsewhere), also a great bargain deal.

these are prices for off-contract ownership of the phone so you have complete freedom as to what plan to get with them and don't get cheated into taking on more than you need. this compounds your savings.

phones of almost any brand are currently also unusually cheap in India due to recent currency revaluations, but it's harder to import from there. gotta arrange package forwarders, etc.
    Last edited by krieger; 09-01-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm really, really tempted to make a dirty joke right now, but i don't want to spoil a serious thread. so i'll just say that i found a copy of SMAC/X (you can google it) for $9.99 like a decade ago.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

a platinum ring for free; I found it under a neighbor's new house while we dug to to her garden. She gave it to me when I found it and I think it's going to be my husband's ring ...redue it with some bling

My brother is a professional jeweler so this is going to be one expensive and beautiful ring for the man I love.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 09-01-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    i'm really, really tempted to make a dirty joke right now, but i don't want to spoil a serious thread. so i'll just say that i found a copy of SMAC/X (you can google it) for $9.99 like a decade ago.
    do it anyway.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    do it anyway.
    The Bargain Thread: Post Things You Got for Cheap

<X person's> mom.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice, small local grocery store in the area has been run out of business. On the plus side, I bought a big jar of dark-chocolate covered blueberries for $0.90. They are so good... I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT MORE!!