TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you wear a watch?

Who here wears a watch? Why or why not?

I'm curious to know whether wearing a watch, especially a traditional non-"smart watch," is related to age.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Nope. I don't see a point when I can look at the time on my phone. I'm 31.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Nope. I don't see a point when I can look at the time on my phone. I'm 31.
    Fair enough.

You're a woman, right? I wonder whether gender makes a difference overall. That said, I'm a 31-year-old woman, and I wear a watch.
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Yeah.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    No. Why use a watch when I have my phone?
    Yes, that's a point I have heard and considered often. It's a good point, imo, yet...

I still prefer a watch, which I wear partly out of habit, partly bc I like the way it looks, and partly for convenience -- I find it easier to turn my wrist a bit than locate and look at my phone.

And maybe partly bc I'm "old," meaning Gen Y...and lame

I do think it finishes an outfit nicely, especially for men, and especially for men in suits.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't wear a watch.

Watches are bulky and inconvenient. From a functional standpoint, my phone keeps track of the time. From a social standing or jewelry standpoint, watches reveal a lot about a person that I do not want to reveal on first meetings.

For example, a big mechanical watch says mechanical engineer, or mech wannabe. A watch with different time zones says the wearer never goes there. A round face watch is female or artistic, a square face watch is male, a gold watch says the wearer doesn't need your business, a silver watch says the wearer does need your business, a watch with a white face means the wearer likes himself, while a watch with a black face means the wearer does not like himself, and a paper-thin thin gold watch says the wearer is an asshole. And a watch with a digital readout says the wearer is eight years old.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I used to wear watches because I got a wonderful Tissot for my 16th birthday. I don't anymore since I have my phone for this purpose.
    I also got another Mauboussin one for another birthday, it is buried in my jewelry box...

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do wear a watch. A lot of the 'utilitarian' things I have are, for lack of a better word, inherited. I have my father's watch (it actually needs to go to the repair shop unfortunately, so I'm not wearing it atm) which is at least 50-60 years old because the company that manufactured it was bought out around that time and watches stopped being stamped with their name. This (Swiss) company produced very good time devices but also chronographs for the German Air Force during WWII. It's also a manually wound watch. It's in pretty bad shape so I want to get it cleaned up and fixed soonish. I find there are times where it helps to be able to look at your watch. It has a moon phase which is a hilarious (and pointless) addition.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...h/IMG_1899.jpg

Adam is right that you can read a lot about a man, or a person from his watch. I often judge people from their watches, though not for not wearing a watch -- the utility is only marginal these days. I'm 24.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Watches are bulky and inconvenient. From a functional standpoint, my phone keeps track of the time.
    sounds like 5" smartphone is less bulky

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about the option "sometimes"?

I have a nice watch I have inherited from my granddad and I sometimes wear it whenever I'm wearing something that may fit with an old style watch. I guess it's more practical than taking your smartphone out anyway.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-bg

I've never been able to get used to the sensation of wearing a watch, also i don't like the thought of checking time that much (i don't have a phone either ). I have a good sense of time on my own though, and there are enough clocks in the world to check those when i need to.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by krahc View Post
    And maybe partly bc I'm "old," meaning Gen Y...and lame
    noooo don't call yourself "old" yet! (says the Gen Xer who doesn't want you to take his paranthesis so he's just old. we're still using that! )

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    noooo don't call yourself "old" yet! (says the Gen Xer who doesn't want you to take his paranthesis so he's just old. we're still using that! )
    Alright. Let's all be young together

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No, I don't wear a watch because I have kick-ass demonstrative Ni to do the timekeeping for me.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have reconnected with my love for watches. I have a whole little collection of them. I need to check the time more often than my phone allows -- it's usually in my purse or pocket but I need to look at the time continually when I'm doing stuff like running between trains or walking toward an appointment.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

No never have. I don't need time.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I keep meaning to buy a watch but I can't seem to find the time.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear a watch sometimes. Easier than having to pull out phone just to check time.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Notny mo'. It broke.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krahc View Post
    I still prefer a watch, which I wear partly out of habit, partly bc I like the way it looks, and partly for convenience -- I find it easier to turn my wrist a bit than locate and look at my phone.
    Same.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the unpractical benefits are that you have to charge that damn thing every night or so.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm gonna get me sum old school classic looking watch on the cheap side. Solar powered, maybe.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like wearing a watch. It's a constant, ticking reminder of ever-impending death.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SEER
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Wear the fitbit watch. Innovative technology that can wirelessly sync with your phone or other device to track your fitness goals. Tracks steps taken, calories burned, heart rates, and more. Normally $100+ Walmart has the best black friday deals for fitbits. Only $50+ for one. Watches enhanced. Watches for your goals. Get yours.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I don't like wearing a watch. It's a constant, ticking reminder of ever-impending death.
    Dramatic much?

Hi, Baby.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Dramatic much?

Hi, Baby.
    Hi, Winterpark.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I got a couple cool colourful watches online, so now I wear them sometimes to have a bit of colour in an outfit when I'm dressed casual.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When I was a teenager and I read Malcolm X's autobiography he said there are only three things a man needs: a watch and then I forgot the rest because I was super excited that I was wearing a watch, lol. At the time I was really into Malcolm X so I kept wearing it. But then I started noticing that I'd check the time unnecessarily and it got to be really annoying. I just wanted to enjoy my life. The obsession with time seemed so pointless. It seemed to reinforce the idea of linear time and I really feel happier thinking of time cyclically.

Hubby is into watches, though, and sometimes buys me them as gifts. So, I sometimes wear those, but more as an accessory than for utilization.

TIM
    ENFx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but I wish I did. Sometimes I'll be doing something (without my phone) and I need to know the time, but I don't have it. Plus, most of my teachers find it incredibly rude when you pull out your phone in the middle of class...

Plus, people who wear watches impress me greatly. So stylish.

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear a watch almost always and I love it. I am so used to it that I've coined the term "wrist-nakedness" for the sensation of not wearing a watch. I like to be able to go places and know what he time is without always being chained to all this "smart" technology with computers in it. I tend to envy the watches available for men but I like mine OK since at least it has a second hand and the date on it and lightly glowing bits for when it's dark, and doesn't look like some dainty thing like way too many women's watches do. I've heard some good arguments for switching to a pocket watch over a wristwatch though so I might do that sometime.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can't go without it. I always need a grasp on time. 19 years old, no smart watch actually.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SongOfSapphire View Post
    Who here wears a watch? Why or why not?
    I'm curious to know whether wearing a watch, especially a traditional non-"smart watch," is related to age.
    I definitely do wear a watch everywhere I go. My reason for wearing a watch is because I'm terrible with time, I'm always unaware of the time around me and I'm often late to places, so I need to wear a watch to remind myself of the time around me.

I feel uncomfortable if I have no watch on me. You know, that feeling of being lost in the middle of a galaxy? That's how I feel whenever I didn't wear a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Can't go without it. I always need a grasp on time. 19 years old, no smart watch actually.
    Heh. Me too. We are so similar, I finally met my match. Losing track of time would drive me go cray cray. If I were to lose track of time, I would end up late to work, late to school. If this keeps happening repeatedly, I'll end up failing my attendance in class and also end up losing my job. I wouldn't want that to happen to me, so it's always best to keep track of time.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine shows time and date. It is very practical and looks clean. I like it.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Soul View Post
    Heh. Me too. We are so similar, I finally met my match. Losing track of time would drive me go cray cray. If I were to lose track of time, I would end up late to work, late to school. If this keeps happening repeatedly, I'll end up failing my attendance in class and also end up losing my job. I wouldn't want that to happen to me, so it's always best to keep track of time.
    !!! Are we soul mates?
    Even if there's no busy schedule, gotta know the time. Time is such an important parameter in everything, so keeping a watch with me gives me a sense of not wasting or mishandling it. You sound much like an enneagram 5 or 1. And a -valuing quadra member?

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chae, I've said this elsewhere, but I really think you're LII rather than ILI, and the caring about the time really cements that for me. Also, if you've seen what most of the people I've typed as ILI are like, you'd thank me for that Unlike in MBTI, from what I've seen xxxj and xxxp with the first three letters the same tend to manifest very, very differently, and without socionics, people might not even see a relation between them (ditto for Exxx and Ixxx).

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

naaahhh I don't like watches. If anything they'll provoke my anxiety of time. I hate knowing the time it just makes me think of what will be happening later and removes me from enjoying the current moment.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schildmaid View Post
    Chae, I've said this elsewhere, but I really think you're LII rather than ILI, and the caring about the time really cements that for me. Also, if you've seen what most of the people I've typed as ILI are like, you'd thank me for that Unlike in MBTI, from what I've seen xxxj and xxxp with the first three letters the same tend to manifest very, very differently, and without socionics, people might not even see a relation between them (ditto for Exxx and Ixxx).
    UM UMMMMM
    Ni relates to Time...

Introverted intuition internal dynamics of fields Ni Socionics symbol Ni.svg Ni is responsible for the estimation of the passage of time, the understanding of a course of processes in time, and forecasting. Ni understand how things may change and evolve over time and throughout history. Ni is acutely aware of events that are occurring outside of the immediate perception of the moment, and sees events as part of a continuous flow. Ni perceives the possible ramifications of future events and notices ties to the past. Ni observes behavioral patterns and can assess a person's character.

*new people who can't type*
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I could afford a rolex I would wear a watch. I didn't think people wore watches for the time anymore; they seem more like pieces of jewelry and status symbols

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    UM UMMMMM
    Ni relates to Time...

Introverted intuition internal dynamics of fields Ni Socionics symbol Ni.svg Ni is responsible for the estimation of the passage of time, the understanding of a course of processes in time, and forecasting. Ni understand how things may change and evolve over time and throughout history. Ni is acutely aware of events that are occurring outside of the immediate perception of the moment, and sees events as part of a continuous flow. Ni perceives the possible ramifications of future events and notices ties to the past. Ni observes behavioral patterns and can assess a person's character.

*new people who can't type*
    Judgers like knowing the time better than perceivers though. I have no idea why we should fixate on some detail like the definition of Ni and use that to tell how much someome likes watches rather than the group of traits as a whole. Also, you don't come across as EII at all, based on people I've type as "definitely EII". I think you're some sort of Gamma, probably SEE.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summerprincess View Post
    If I could afford a rolex I would wear a watch. I didn't think people wore watches for the time anymore; they seem more like pieces of jewelry and status symbols
    Well, you've never wanted to go anywhere without carrying some disgustingly overcomplicated and somewhat suspicious device with you, but still know what time it is? I mean, I have a fairly decent internal clock, and it's weird how it works, but when it comes to appointments and keeping a schedule it's still nice to have a watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast