Thread: Dreams and Socionics types

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dreams and Socionics types

I've been surveying random people about what their dreams were like and it seems they differ in many different ways: The content of dreams, frequency of nightmares, vividness, recurring themes and frequency of dream recall are some factors that vary between individuals. There's probably a connection between those factors and personality, so I'm making this thread to find some patterns.
    Here's a few questions for you to answer (I'll start answering myself):

How often do you recall your dreams? Do you recall multiple different dreams each night?
    I know I dream every night, but I recall my dream's contents 1-3 times a week. Occasionally I experience light sleep which wakes me up every now and then over a single night and I can recall 5+ distinct dreams but it doesn't happen often.

How vivid are your dreams? Can you recognize landscapes, faces, etc., or do you get the "feel" for a place and recognize it without explicitly seeing it?
    My dreams aren't very vivid, I usually don't recognize the places they take in and I can't see distinct faces but I can tell when I'm with a stranger or someone I know. Some places and people seem "randomly generated", as if they're a combination of places or people I've seen before. It sounds a bit strange, but eating cheese during the afternoon/at night induces more vivid dreams when I sleep (try it out!).

Do you experience emotions in your dreams? Which emotions do you experience?
    I hardly ever feel any kind of emotions in my dreams. This is apparently pretty rare, most people seem to experience negative emotions like fear or sadness in the first place, and then pleasure or happiness (or at least they recall the negatives more often). Sometimes I dream about pleasant things and I laugh when I wake up and realize it wasn't real. I can't recall a single dream I've had lately where I felt upset or anything.

Is there any recurring elements in your dreams, things that you often dream about (either physical or symbolic)?
    I dream a lot about hotels or large buildings I've never been to. I only have a vague idea of what I'm doing there, it's like I'm wandering around and trying to find something or someone. I dream about airports every now and then, and I have a few water-related dreams, being under the sea and being able to breathe underwater, visiting beaches or aquariums, etc. Sometimes I dream about the different schools I went to when I was younger. On occasion I see domestic animals, especially dogs and cats (I like both). All my dreams have some kind of "movement", I'm always walking/running/swimming as the landscape and elements change. If I play some video game for 12+ hours in a single day, or 6+ hours a day over a few days, I dream about the game, usually that I'm inside the game and moving around as one of the characters (last time it was Monster Hunter World, and it was awesome ).

How often do you have nightmares? What elements show up most often in your nightmares?
    I don't remember any nightmares I've had in the past 5 years or so... which is pretty rare. I almost never get "scary" things or the kinds of thing that show up in nightmares, and when I do I don't feel anything at all. I remember a nightmare I had when I was 12 or 13 where I watched a man's disjointed head getting shredded (or something like that) on a television program I was watching, and another dream about being chased inside a house, then I realized I was in a dream so I tried to pass through a wall by jumping into it, and when I did, it turned out to be solid and I woke up so that my pursuer wouldn't catch me (I wasn't able to bend the laws that apply to reality even though it was my own dream, pretty surreal when I think about it).

Do you ever experience violence or taboo elements in dreams?
    (Feel free to leave blank, the reason I ask this is that some people confessed to me that they did taboo things in their dreams that they would never do in real life, which is sort of interesting because it may indicate some kind of inner desire that they couldn't fulfill in their waking hours)
    I haven't experienced any kind of violence dreams in the past few years, but occasionally I dream about sex with random women, though I think that's something that most men dream about and that it's a natural phenomenon and not something accidental because of personality types. A guy I know who's really nice to everyone told me he sometimes dreams of killing the people he doesn't like, although he wouldn't harm a fly in real life.

Anything else you'd like to add about your dreams?
    My dreams are less like movies and more like short glimpses of things that happen in logical order. I have more of a passive role in my dreams; I rarely interact with people and the environment, but I'm always moving and trying to get somewhere. I sometimes have conversations, but I can't recall much about them and they don't make much sense. A few years ago I would never talk in my dreams, lately I've been having some conversations with random people or people I know. My dreams are very logical, and (for the most part) follow the laws that apply to reality quite strictly. Sometimes I teleport from one "scene" to another or breathe underwater, but I can never fly/go through solids/travel through time/etc. like some others can do. Also, I find it funny that I dream a lot about buildings and artificial (as opposed to natural) things, even though natural elements seem to have more prevalence in people's dreams (consider that even some animals can dream, if it's a process that has been going on for millions of years then it makes sense for nature-related dreams to be more common, though of course, they adapt to the context of the individual).

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How often do you recall your dreams? Do you recall multiple different dreams each night?

Almost every night, and it tends to be the most recent dream before waking up.

How vivid are your dreams? Can you recognize landscapes, faces, etc., or do you get the "feel" for a place and recognize it without explicitly seeing it?

They are very vivid, like a strange version of reality.

I think this has more to do with current life circumstances than anything. Variable.

Is there any recurring elements in your dreams, things that you often dream about (either physical or symbolic)?

About half of my dreams take place in old childhood houses or neighbors’ houses/ areas, both inside and outside. The other half of my dreams are random areas which vary greatly from modern/ancient towns/cities to large complexes.

I break into a lot of places to try to obtain information or objects of interest, these places are generally heavily guarded with my mode of infiltration varying.

If you’ve ever heard the term Anima/Animus, I am almost always >75% of the time accompanied by my Anima in dreams.

I’ll answer the violence question here:
    My dreams are extremely violent fairly frequently, both me inflicting injuries/ killing others and myself being maimed and/or killed. I had a dream about a week ago where I was attacked with a large knife, my left arm was nearly degloved, and I lay there bleeding out for several minutes until an ambulance arrived.
    I am not violent in real life, nor do I break into places.

How often do you have nightmares? What elements show up most often in your nightmares?

I don’t really have nightmares.

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your replies! @Aki
    Vividness in your dreams might have to do with Si. Can you describe the spirits? How can you tell whether they're benevolent or not? Do you believe in spirits in real life? Do you think there's any reason behind your dreams of disasters? @Chakram
    Another point for Si = vividness. What kind of information/objects do you try to obtain? Do your dreams end before you achieve what you're trying to do? The Anima thing is very interesting. Do you interact with it/her or does it only accompany you? How can you tell it's your anima and not just a random character your brain created?

I think it's interesting that you coincide with the vividness but differ in the nightmares thing. Nightmares seem to be triggered by high stress situations in real life, might be a way for our brains to shock us into action to deal with the stressful things that we go through.

Speaking of nightmares, I had a few nightmarish dreams yesterday, maybe because of the fact that I made this thread right before going to bed (and tried to recall some of my old nightmares): I dreamt I looked at a mirror and two red dots showed up on my cheek, which suddenly started swelling with blood and when I touched it with my hand, a white worm/larva thing came out. I didn't feel any "fake pain" which I sometimes feel when something harms me in a dream, and I didn't feel startled or upset either, I walked to a nearby sink and washed my face, then it ended. I can't remember much about the other dream, I was in some kind of game maybe, with some big platform blocks and a few people, and one man spontaneously blew up or something, spewing his guts all over the place.

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Almost never. They are always difficult to remember. Even if I do, it's mostly just emotions I remember and random but important images. There's no sequence or story I recall.

I do recognize people. But many of them are foreign faces, or maybe don't even have a face. I don't recognize places however, the locations of my dreams are very random.

I experience euphoria, joy, peace, freedom, confusion, wonder, and alot of times fear. But fear always turns into curiosity or excitement. It's hardly negative though.

Emotions are usually the most vivid aspect of my dreams. I can remember a single image but feel so much with it. It gives me shivers or pleasure sometimes, when I look back on what I've dreamt. Even right now, It almost makes me cry. And I don't even remember why it would make me cry. :')

Damn I wish I knew. I don't see many recurring elements. Maybe a feeling of freedom? The vastness of the world? Maybe I'm just claustrophobic and closed in, and need everything to be far more massive and open in my dreams to help me feel adventurous.

Oh! I just remembered. A school. It's not my school. I've been to the school twice, and... hmm... yeah nevermind. I was hardly even there. Did I even go to class...

I don't remember my nightmares, if I have them. But alot of the time my dreams twist into something dark and abrupt, but considering most of the dream was happy or neutral it would be stupid to call it a nightmare. I find it very demeaning when people disregard their dreams just because they are scary or disturbing.

One of the more unsettling things I see is ugliness. People losing teeth, eyeballs, hair, people whose face seemingly got eaten away by something. I once saw my dog weak and frail, his face very terrified. It was painful to watch.

Ehh mostly sex related. Men and women.

I mostly observe things happening, I'm hardly a person in my dreams, and the thought of there even being a character doesn't cross my mind. A dream is just observing events.

But see... when I said that my dreams often had an abrupt end... Usually that was the point in the dream where the PoV switched from passive observation.. to something very very personal, as if the dream is making fun of me for avoiding thinking about myself at all. My brain wants to make sure I don't forget myself, so it gives me a shock, something so sudden that I have no time to think about what it wants from me.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not often anymore, maybe a few times a month, but it varies. Some months I might remember a few a week. In my early teens/late 20's , I'd remember maybe 3 of them a week. I'd say the frequency in which I remember started decreasing in my late 20's.

Not very vivid. I also don't have a very vivid memory (have a hard time recalling details, don't have a photographic memory), and my dreams are a lot like my memories, like looking through a blurry glass or a fog. Faces are blurred, everything is. It's more the feel of a place, the feel of a person. I don't recall dreaming of places I've been irl. If I do, they are never the same. Like I'll think this place is 'home' but it will looking nothing like my house, or I'll dream of being on the land of my home but everything has a twisted edge to it, like walking into wonderland or an alternate universe.

Yes, I'd say they are the main focus of my dreams, how everything in it is making me feel. A lot of the emotions I experience depend on the dream, but as the majority of my dreams have a dark edge to them, the emotions are usually of anxiety or sadness, and the sense I have to do something or find something.

I've had some reoccurring dreams from when I was really young. They are different but the theme is the same. (1)Falling is one. Falling down stairs, falling or being pushed out of a plane. (2) Another is of me dying. I've gotten shot a lot, and laid on the street, in a field dying. (3) I dream about others dying and being at their funeral, my own, my mothers, my husbands. It's always pretty upsetting. (4) I've dreamt a lot about expanding houses, where I keep finding rooms or things I've forgotten about (5) A very frightening reoccurring dream I have takes place in a house that only exists in my dream. There is a room in that house that is haunted/evil and it has a woman inside of it, a really creepy woman who stays in the shadows. I will get stuck in the room and time moves more slowly there , so when I get out everything has changed or people are gone. (6) Houses I enter in which everyone inside is dead but are walking around inside. (7) Being cheated on. (8) Sometimes my dreams are really crazy intricate stories that seem like a movie where I am playing hero, saving people from an evil cult, going on a epic journey (Wizard of Oz like), or something along those lines. Those don't happen as often. But they are my def my favorite ones. (9) Teeth falling out. I've had this one a lot before but haven't in a while that I'm aware of. (10) Searching for people who are lost/missing is a common theme for me as well.

I rarely have dreams that aren't nightmares. See previous question. They revolve a lot around death, and can sometimes be very morbid and graphic. I started having them when I was very young, so this isn't a recent thing. They are like going to sleep and falling into a Stephen King book..But they've never woken me up frightened. But it's kind of embarrassing to tell people....I've gotten 'your dreams concern me...' a lot.

Yes, but I'm rarely the one that is causing the violence or taboo events. I can't recall any dreams where I harmed anyone. I'm usually just witnessing it or it's happening to me. I never share my taboo dreams.

(Posted this yesterday & deleted, but I saved it . Added the teeth dreams because I remembered those...I got self conscious, but don't feel as weird about it now that others are sharing lol)
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Maybe about 5-10% of the time I recall my dreams, and they don't seem especially remarkable. If I did not make a special record of them, they end up being forgotten within a short time after waking. Often, I go through a state of being half-sleep, where I have periods of wakefulness where I reflect on my dreams before going back to sleep and repeating.

The dreams I tend to remember are the same dream, over and over, to the extent that I know all the features of the dream.

It is difficult for me to distinguish between any emotions and the tone of the dream.

Yes. I probably have a messiah complex. There are also some dreams that are inexplicable.

I don't really want to think about them.

Yes.

Not at this time.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Timmy View Post
    Another point for Si = vividness. What kind of information/objects do you try to obtain? Do your dreams end before you achieve what you're trying to do? The Anima thing is very interesting. Do you interact with it/her or does it only accompany you? How can you tell it's your anima and not just a random character your brain created?

I think it's interesting that you coincide with the vividness but differ in the nightmares thing. Nightmares seem to be triggered by high stress situations in real life, might be a way for our brains to shock us into action to deal with the stressful things that we go through.

Speaking of nightmares, I had a few nightmarish dreams yesterday, maybe because of the fact that I made this thread right before going to bed (and tried to recall some of my old nightmares): I dreamt I looked at a mirror and two red dots showed up on my cheek, which suddenly started swelling with blood and when I touched it with my hand, a white worm/larva thing came out. I didn't feel any "fake pain" which I sometimes feel when something harms me in a dream, and I didn't feel startled or upset either, I walked to a nearby sink and washed my face, then it ended. I can't remember much about the other dream, I was in some kind of game maybe, with some big platform blocks and a few people, and one man spontaneously blew up or something, spewing his guts all over the place.
    I do sometimes obtain the thing which I am seeking. Sometimes it is information in the form of a flash-drive or papers, sometimes it is valuable goods like diamonds. I have also failed to get them in many dreams, either from waking up, or being killed right before I get them/ get away with it. I have also killed many people/creatures in pursuit.

I’m not too sure about the nightmare thing. It could be caused by many things, ptsd, high stress situations which you mentioned, or just innate fears. Dreams truly are within a realm of their own, being extremely bizarre in certain situations.

I have experience with violent and extremely gory things and that is what I tend to think my dreams manifest from, and which might be why I also don’t view these things as nightmarish, but merely a learning experience. In one of the dreams I had last night I amputated my right leg and put it into a large plastic bag. That does sound pretty weird I will admit, but I can’t really put that much meaning into it aside from the fact that I injured my knee a couple of months ago from doing too many heavy squats and still see it as a weakness, even though it has healed.

The explanation that I see from the dream that you described here, is that something inside of you wants to get out. This could be a thought or feeling that you have yet to acknowledge and it probably means very little to you consciously (for now at least). Dreams seem to be a way for our subconscious to communicate with our conscious minds through symbolism. Which I think you know from the questions you asked in this thread.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to recall them before, now barely ever. Sometimes, I remember one for a little while after waking up, yet it does fade soon.

Blurry, I see very particular details, yet what I am not focused on is... inexistant. Blurry people on a landscape, a face close up on a blurry colored background.
    Sometimes I read in my dream but it looks like : jfg shifjku hf h sruf jkjjvf jjk$
    Yet I understand the meaning of this gibberish. Sometimes, when I dream I realize the letters and meanings don't match and it fascinates me.

Hm... I hardly think so...

It's always linked to current event... even though it makes only symbolistic sense. I don't remember enough to state whether there is recurrence or not... I often run in them though. Towards more than away.
    There is a lack of logic in my dreams regarding environments, per say, going from the living room to the kitchen by passing in a classroom, sewer, rooftop and never reaching the darned kitchen, yet I don't care that I don't make it to the kitchen, I accept where the dream is taking me. It's where I have to be.
    I believe 100% in whatever happens when I dream, even when I have lucid dreams...
    My dreams all happen in third person.

I don’t really judge my dreams this way. They all have a meaning and a use.

Nope.

Nope.

Edit: I remember once dreaming I was wearing a complet ski outfit at school while everyone else was naked... and very blurry... -w-b
    Last edited by Vespertine; 09-18-2018 at 02:26 AM.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Not often. Maybe 20% of the time. They happen most often when I'm dreaming lightly, like when I wake up before the alarm is supposed to ring and decide to doze off for a little while, or when there's a sudden wake-up. I've had 3 separate dreams within a 30-minute period up to the alarm.

I'm not sure vivid dreaming means the same as "can you recognize stuff within your own dream". Vivid dreaming usually entails some recognition that you're inside a dream and then you kind of twerk its contents. Most of my dreams have a slight absurd feel to them. So yes I can recognize the landscapes and the faces, but they are often an amalgam. One person could represent 3-4 people I've met. A landscape could be familiar and at the same time incredibly dazzling in senses and words that we don't have in our language in how to express. As for vivid dreaming as in recognizing you're inside a dream once in a while that does happen and I attempt to fly, with uh, various consequences.

Rarely. Most often it's running through an elaborate cognitive absurd maze. But the emotions that have lasted from my dreams: it's exhilaration, need, oh-crap-I-fucked-this-up-again, lust, confusion, curiosity, satisfaction, longing, enchantment. Some of those emotions carry on through the morning or the next day or few.

I don't have repeating dreams but there have been some dreams that seem to occur at a higher frequency as I've noted over the past few years. For me these have been storms. Storms, hurricanes, lightening, tornadoes (even though I've never been in one). The subject varies. Sometimes I'm in a middle of a storm finding refuge in a nearby house. Sometimes I'm standing at the top of a skyscaper and the storm clouds roll with rich textures like ashes from an exploding volcano. Other times I'm up in the clouds and forging the lightening and the storm myself.

Besides that some of the common dreams like the stepping into an elevator that has gone out of their control, and losing teeth, which seems to be evolutionary kind of dream.

Very rarely. The few few experiences I'd label as nightmarish would be showing me war. A total collapse of the values of those who have lived through it, and I would go through their breakdowns within these dreams.

Do you ever experience violence or taboo elements in dreams? (Feel free to leave blank, the reason I ask this is that some people confessed to me that they did taboo things in their dreams that they would never do in real life, which is sort of interesting because it may indicate some kind of inner desire that they couldn't fulfill in their waking hours)

Yep. War. Serial killers. Rape and incest. And something else I'm probably not recognizing right now. I don't consider sex dreams to be taboo.

Whenever you're getting chased by some demon, turn around and face them. That might be one of the most interesting dreams you'll ever have.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thread! Don't have much to write, as i'm not too flexible in English.

50% of the time, ca. I can have multiple dreams per night, but they often are less memorable because of it. I can often have dreams that are interconnected.

Both. Some dreams are very vivid, while others are more immaterial and i get a ''feel'' for the dream.

When i feel something in my dreams, it is often longing, or melancholy. I often have 'half-nightmares'.

They often revolve around feeling out of place and alienated.

Pretty often. It is either physical violence happening to me, or emotional neglect. I often feel isolated and ignored.

I don't have many sexual dreams. I often am the subject of senseless violence in my dreams. I occasionally dream of my family being satanic demon creatures.

Very often nonsensical, abstract, funny (as dreams often are). I once dreamt of me discussing the validity of the Socratic method with Bach in a wheelbarrow in front of my house. I also often dream of altered consciousness, separation from my body, trapped in own mind. I have over time learnt how to 'behave' in my dreams, and have a sort of self-awareness about it without directly recognizing the dream state.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As @silke wrote, strong emotions from dreamstates really stick with you throughout the day. It sometimes intrudes upon my mood in such a way that i will think about it all day. It makes it more probable, in my mind, that dreams are a way for the mind to process and take in experience and thought from the conscious state, and vice versa. That's why we find it important to think about them when we are awake. So dreams are really real, in the sense that they play a central role in our relation to our own thoughts

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your mother tongue BFGDoomer?

For dreams- I think it can change throughout your life too. Example my mother in law ESI dreamt in vivid colour until her divorce after which she dreamt in black and white.

I recall when I sleep well. Had a period of chronic fatigue/dehydration where I didn't dream for 2 years.

Not sensorily vivid at all. Very smudged, very grey/sepia, rarely any colour, have very little visual recollection of dreams but often feel like it's hard to see while I am dreaming like I don't have my glasses, no picture but I know what is going on and who etc but like impressionistic, poor vision is a theme as well. Yes a feel for place/person.

I vividly recall the language of my dreams and could write down phrases and dialogue from them. I sometimes wake up shouting a phrase. Once I texted a friend while dreaming.

Despair, fear/terror, frustration, being overlooked/spoken for, fury, joy, relief, awe, guilt, shame, love, lust, every emotion.

Two common ones-

Dream a lot about water, extremely large expanses of blue water, rivers. lakes, waterfalls, with huge amazing and terrifying animals dwelling in them. Also water flooding things, water slides, dank places. Sometimes I am in a boat, raft, on in physically, or at the edge watching, about to go in.

Dream a lot about warehouse settings, vast, dirty grimy, institutional, like maybe we have to use the toilets or showers there and there are rows and rows, hundreds all out in the open. Filth and no privacy.

Not so often, really bad ones maybe once a month or less. Death, being persecuted/chased by someone who will kill me/my son or take one of us.

Not very graphic violence, my dreams are not graphic, the violence of emotions yes. Not much taboo elements, a couple of gay dreams or something. Taboo in that I am thinking wild things against people I shouldn't perhaps.

I think it's what you feel in the dream that matters and that you are processing and that is real from life. When I was a child I had these kind of repetitive "dreams" but they weren't dreams they were daydreams or visions and I would think I was going crazy, sometimes when lying in bed at night. Such as a kind of feeling of my falling onto a wire net and getting sliced but then being wire myself, it's very had to describe I only very occasionally get it but I still do, or a vision of a room with a woman who is not my mum a the doorway and a cot.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I asked these questions to my IEE, his dreams are vivid, dreams often about extentinons of clean water. When I asked about violence he said violent emotions like anger, yelling at ppl, but never physical violence. He dreams often with environments he has never seen, and can see the face of ppl he knows.
    Last edited by Hope; 09-21-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When it happens it i usually quite strange.

Details are vague but storyline is intense or very surreal

Horror, excitement, fear, confusion, thrill

Sometimes. I have had recurring nightmares about redoing compulsory military service.
    I suppose there are symbolic content in it. But recurring? I don't really think so.

My dreams are usually mixed bag. It is quite hard to draw line between nightmare and non-nightmare.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    SEI-Fe1 9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Nr 007 View Post
    Details are vague but storyline is intense or very surreal
    Oh I have the reverse of this Details are clear but storyline is vague
    Ne/Si differences?

I usually recall them (multiple different dreams) if I think them over immediately upon waking. Otherwise, I forget them unless they were really intense.
    Very vivid. Landscapes are usually a distorted version of places from real-life, or made up. I see faces clearly, everyone I talk to ends up in my dreams at some point. I do get the "feel" for a place, also people.
    All emotions, especially emotions I had suppressed that day (so usually negative emotions)
    Quite a few recurring elements: Family members and close friends, being able to 'swim' through the air (flying!! fun dreams), returning to high school or college (Ooohhh the horror!! lol), people not listening to me or connecting to me (lol not fun either), having to do many tasks that keep changing and never get finished, being stalked by something/someone - especially this one girl that looks like the grudge girl (scary)
    Most of my dreams are sort of bad/sort of good, and not very dramatic. Really scary nightmares happen occassionally. There's usually somebody stalking me, or I'm watching someone being tortured and killed, in my worst nightmares
    Mostly I just witness violence. Occasionally it's done to me, but I usually wake up from moving my body irl to get away
    Occasionally I lucid dream. I used to every night, but not anymore. Half of the time I am in 3rd person, or can switch who's body I'm in.

Edit: I also feel physical sensations, usually good/neutral ones. Sometimes pain, but never severe pain. One time I remember being stabbed in the stomach and it felt the same as jabbing the corner of a table into your side, lol. I also get tastes, too, like if I'm eating or drinking something.
    Last edited by Xaiviay; 09-21-2018 at 07:45 PM.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Xaiviay, same with experiencing physical sensations when I'm dreaming. Some last some minutes after I woke up.

@Number 9 large @idontgiveaf I'm curious, how about yours?

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Barely, if ever. And usually forget them very fast

Its usually pretty clear, usually with people I know and some possible real life situation going on, that usually has multiple plotholes or stuff that doesnt make sense.

Depending on my dream I've felt a pretty wide array of emotions, from anger to sadness to fear, to the relief when I realize it was a dream.

Not really, well I guess the recurring thing is theyre usually about ppl I('ve) know(n)

Most nightmares seem to have some difficult life situation in them, like somebody blackmailing me or some shit like that. But the best nightmare was when I was falling from the clouds, or one where I was attached to a cable attached to a mountain and then the cable broke. I swear I felt the G-force from the fall.
    The oldest nightmare I remember was when I was 4 tho, and my sister got eaten by a dragon and i shouted her name dramatically, not just in my dream but also irl lol.

Violence yea, I think some incest too when I was younger. And then when I woke up id be like :|

Dreams are overrated

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Guillaine
    Danish.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFGDoomer View Post
    @Guillaine
    Danish.

Wow Awesome

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forget them very fast, maybe within 2 seconds from waking up. Just after waking up I can sometimes have the dream in my head, like I remember it, but I am not aware of this, and as soon as I realize that I'm thinking about the dream I forget it. It is strange.

It's like looking at a picture without realizing that I'm doing it, and when I realize it, it's gone.

Or I could put it this way: The actual conscious act of focusing on the dream makes it disappear. I can only remember it in a primitive half-asleep-state.

Not remembering dreams could be meaningful in itself. Maybe it is better for me to focus on concrete things in life right now.

I've sometimes had dreams that are very detailed. Like I'm looking at a wall and I see all the cracks in it in great detail. Then I wonder to myself (in the dream) how it is possible to see things so detailed although I'm sleeping.

But these detailed dreams are rare. Usually they are blurred

-

-

Never. As a child I had fever nightmares that are very hard to describe.

But I can still have dreams were something happens that makes me wake up. Like a wake-up-shock. It happened just last week.

Sometimes bizarre sexual things, incest, violence

"Big dreams" is an interesting topic. Dreams that make a strong impression and seem to alter something inside you. There are dreams that can stay with you a long time after.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I usually recall one dream per night. Usually the one I had before waking up.

When I lay down to bed at night, I get vague impressions from my dreams the night before. I try to dig deeper and remember the dream but it's usually just a vague impression and doesn't go beyond that.

I recognize landscapes even if they are not my main focus. I noticed faces are usually blank. The appearance of people usally changes too, within what seems like instants, including the person's gender.

Yes, but they are usually vague and ill-defined.

I'm often in large buildings or in houses I have lived in, mainly my maternal grandparent's house. There is a recurring theme of being chased in this house and jumping out the window of what was my room, to find out I can control my landing two stories below without getting hurt. It's important to note the room is exactly like it was in reality, there were two windows, one with a view on the street and the other facing the neighbour's house - I'm always jumping out of the street window. I used to have dreams about being in this room, the lights are on, and I have to close the curtains because I'm afraid people will see into my room. I close the curtains, but then I find they are open again instants later. I also try to turn off the lights but the switch doesn't work, or if it does, the light get turned back on when I turn my head.

There is sometimes an element of being chased around.

Like I said, people's appearance, including their gender, changes.

My dreams usually have a dark atmosphere to them but I rarely have nightmares. As a child, they would be even darker and I would have nightmares more often.

Rarely, incest and violence on occasion.

I thought I had "big dreams" a few times in my life and I wrote them down. But having re-read what I wrote down, I'm not sure these are big dreams with a universal significance - more like personal dreams about my life as a whole. Not sure. I might make a blog post about a dream I had which I wrote down, which I considered a big dream.

I also used to lucid dream almost every night a few years ago, but the problem is that once you realize you are dreaming, you wake up not long after. Also, the dreams become very repetitive because your subconscious does not express itself freely. So I wanted to stop doing this. I don't know how, but I managed to. I don't lucid dream nearly as often anymore.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 09-23-2018 at 12:20 PM.

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the (very) late reply, everyone, I was busy with stuff irl.

I'll try to analyze all of your posts and give you feedback.

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@hag
    It's interesting that you often have lucid dreams. Do they happen spontaneously or do you "practice" achieving lucidity by means of exercises (MILD/WILD techniques, writing down dreams, etc.). I've had maybe 2 or 3 lucid dreams in my entire life.
    @hag 3
    The emotions aspect might have something to do with Fe. Not sure if the positivity of emotions is connected to some particular type or NTR, though. Do you often experience stress in waking life? Because dream stress is (supposedly) related to real life stress so it might indicate that you're relaxed irl.
    @aster
    You have a lot of recurring dreams and nightmares, do you think this might be type-related?
    @Subteigh
    My dreams are pretty unremarkable too. Perhaps Ne-related? You'd expect Ne types to have the wildest dreams though...
    @lilith iris
    Any idea why you dream in 3rd person? This is also really weird, I thought everyone dreamt in 1st person. Any clue what your type/dominant IE might be?
    @silke
    I thought vivid dreams were more of a Si thing, but I'm starting to think it's a shared trait of dominant Si and Ni users. The violence thing might be more Ni-Se.

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@BFGDoomer
    What do you mean by interconnected dreams? Dreams where events affect other dreams, or dreams that you can kind of "continue" the next night or a few weeks after? This is something that happens to me sometimes, although my dream thoughts seem very muddled and vague, I occasionally remember bits of old dreams that help explain things in the current dream as if they were actual pieces of knowledge from real life (it feels very surreal when I wake up and realize that the old dreams never actually happened).
    @Guillaine
    Wow, I never thought quality of sleep could affect dream recall, that's pretty interesting. Vague dreams while recognizing things and people intuitively might be a Ne thing. You wear glasses/have bad eyesight irl? I have really bad myopia and my dreams seem kinda "blurred out" much like when I take my glasses off (I'd never thought about this, pretty funny observation). Wide range of emotions might just be a general F thing rather than specifically Fe or Fi as I used to think.
    @Troll Nr 007
    No recurring dreams? Do you always dream something new? Maybe because of Ne?
    @Xaiviay
    Another point for Si = vividness (or Ixxp = vividness). Experiencing suppressed emotions might have something to do with Fe, since by maintaining the emotional atmosphere around you, you can end up neglecting the expression of what you actually feel. It's just a hunch so I need more contributions from Fe types to gauge it's validity. Feeling physical sensations might be more Si than just vividness. I usually feel pain when hurt in a dream, but something extremely painful happens in the dream, I only feel something like a pinch in real life.
    @Number 9 large
    One more for Si = vividness. And one point for Fe = emotions, and also breadth of emotions.
    @Tallmo
    It's interesting that you have meta-thoughts in your vivid dreams, do you often think in your dreams and do those thoughts affect the things that happen later? I find that my dreams are almost devoid of thoughts, it's mostly like watching a movie where things just happen.
    @Avebury
    Dark dreams = Ni, maybe? Changes is dreams might be due to Ni dynamism. I'm trying to find a connection between lucid dreaming and IEs. Did you attempt to get lucid dreams via exercises or did they happen spontaneously?

TIM
    Ne/Ti
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some thoughts about the data here: It seems that the dominant perception function influences dreams much more than the judging function. I thought that perhaps T types had darker dreams or more violent ones compared to Fs but that seems more related to Ni/Se. Though I need more data to be sure. I also thought lucid dreams were very rare and only happened after deliberate practice. Si-dom (especially) and Ni-dom seems to result in vivid dreams. There's not enough common points in Ne and Se to draw conclusions just yet.

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I recall my dreams whenever I wake up naturally, but I remember very little when I'm forced awake (i.e. by an alarm)

I usually remember a ridiculous amount of details compared to most people I've spoken with. I have a good feel for landscapes and most of the landscapes in my dreams are a disjointed combination of various landscapes I've seen irl (or elsewhere - tv, literature, music) but the faces in my dreams usually match up with familiar faces irl, and there are recurring themes in who appears in my dreams, but sometimes it's just whoever was on my mind before bedtime. I actually like the adventuring aspect of dreams - I think my favorite dream in the last few months was a dream that took place in a neighborhood nearby except there were no streetlights + the houses looked different and they "felt" empty, and behind the houses it was just endless plains. I felt exposed in the center of the street so I decided to jump from rooftop to rooftop, but I did so quietly, and I tried to peek inside the houses but there was a blockage of some kind? it was very eerie, I don't think the houses were empty but they pretended they were, I just never figured out why.

I think this depends heavily on my mindset. curiosity, skepticism, vigilance, adrenaline, vulnerability, paralysis (if this counts), confusion, humor. I actually don't think emotions are that common? it's something else - it's head energy (do not bring up enneagram) like I think way more than I act and I can easily rationalize the thought process behind my actions, but there's not so much action as there is watching, thinking, and waiting - I think my skepticism has reached the point where I can usually figure out that I'm dreaming.

it is interesting to note that I don't experience anger or sadness or happiness in my dreams except in fleeting bouts - it's much more vague

I don't assign any deep meaning to my dreams because I can usually figure out where most of it stems from, but I think a consistent element is that I usually do act in my dreams how I'd act in reality (for better or for worse) and there's usually a lot of movement? it's always a little adventure with elements of survivalism, even if sometimes it seems like a nightmare based on objective standards. I dream a lot about school, and I think this is the only detail that I've deemed significant because it's so repetitive, even if it manifests differently every time. I don't like being responsible for other people in my dreams. I'm simultaneously irritated while being incapable of leaving behind someone who can't take care of themselves (oftentimes it's someone I care about, or someone I perceive as otherwise helpless, and I've even dealt with a few puppies before)

(there's probably a few recurring elements I can't remember right now)

I used to have nightmares constantly when I was younger because of my affinity for horror media and literature, but now it's less common and even if my dream inches toward a nightmare, I don't feel as much fear. I remember there was a period where my nightmares would repeat themselves, but I had no choice but to live through it again while being conscious of the fact that I was dreaming, so I was just waiting for myself to wake up. like I mentioned in my previous answer, I think the worst element of my dreams is that I'm unwillingly made responsible for another living being, but if I'm only responsible for myself then I'm less likely to characterize the dream as a nightmare, which is interesting.

I actually don't think I ever partake in violence myself, but there is quite a bit of violence surrounding me. I'm usually trying to escape the source of violence, and if I'm up against that source of violence, I rely mostly on defensive movements, and I'm usually trying to brainstorm ways out of the situation. I did once have a dream that I was being chased by a girl who opened my stomach while I was presumably passed out so that she could stick a melted blue popsicle inside, which resulted in her + her family chasing me for the full duration of the dream. I tried to prove my innocence by asking a guy at a tech shop to hack my memory so that he could upload irl gifs to show the family so they could see that she did indeed stick that melted blue popsicle inside me, but the family was just like "oh" before continuing to chase me anyway.

I think I accidentally lucid dreamed before I even knew that lucid dreaming existed. I feel like it's more common with nightmares because the premise is ridiculous enough that my brain can't rationalize any of it being real. I think I might return to this post at some point because my fingers are getting lazy, but dreams is one of my favorite topics.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I usually lucid dream in the last stages of sleep, before waking up.

I just become aware at some point that I am dreaming, often because my logically oriented mind is like "this can't be, it's too farfetched". And then I find myself wanting to control the dream. Either I want to end the dream and in that case I'll force myself to wake up, or I want to prolong the dream in which case I will try to control how it unfolds, which usually prevents the bad stuff I don't want to happen from happening, but I am not able to provoke good things in the dream either.

Not sure if that makes sense but I tried wording it as accurately as I could.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

A study on individual differences in the frequency of dream recall found that openness to experience was the only big five personality trait related to dream recall. Dream recall frequency has also been related to similar personality traits, such as absorption and dissociation. The relationship between dream recall and these traits has been considered as evidence of the continuity theory of consciousness. Specifically, people who have vivid and unusual experiences during the day, such as those who are high in these traits, tend to have more memorable dream content and hence better dream recall.
    Watson, David (2003). "To dream, perchance to remember: Individual differences in dream recall". Personality and Individual Differences. 34 (7): 1271–1286.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Little Timmy
    I suspect that I have more variety in my dreams during more eventful period in my life, or when I've been encountering many new experiences or new ideas. I think I do daydream a lot even though I don't tend to remember my dreams and don't tend to consider them particularly remarkable. Perhaps my daydreams are quite systematic and contained, so I don't consider them particularly remarkable either - i.e. they are essentially brainstorming, expanding on a thought or idea.

I think I read recently, perhaps as an extension of my previous post that dreams may be nothing more than the images your brain projects when it is going through the restorative process of sleep.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Little Timmy
    Everything, from memories to dreams, is 3rd person in my head. First person shooters are a nightmares to me. lol
    ILI is the only type I can see myself in. I very much live in my head, not in the world, if I dare say.
    Last edited by Vespertine; 10-02-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Little Timmy
    As in, dreams that continue each other and build upon each other. Be it mood or a concrete narrative. I think this is pretty common though.