Thread: Surrealist artists

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Surrealist artists

*don't mess with texas*
    Last edited by felafel; 08-05-2012 at 03:28 AM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dali - EIE
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because he looks like ******... (maybe it's just the moustache...)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit o' humor from Wikipedia...
    "Lobsters and telephones had strong sexual connotations for [Dalí]"
    After Gala's death, Dalí lost much of his will to live. He deliberately dehydrated himself—possibly as a suicide attempt, possibly in an attempt to put himself into a state of suspended animation, as he had read that some microorganisms could do.
    Various animals appear throughout his work as well: ants point to death, decay, and immense sexual desire; the snail is connected to the human head (he saw a snail on a bicycle outside Freud’s house when he first met Sigmund Freud); and locusts are a symbol of waste and fear.[35]

His fascination with ants has a strange explanation. When Dalí was a young boy he had a pet bat. One day he discovered his bat dead, covered in ants. He thus developed a fascination with and fear of ants.
    Dalí sent telegrams to Franco, "praising him for signing death warrants for political prisoners."
    "every morning upon awakening, I experience a supreme pleasure: that of being Salvador Dalí."
    When signing autographs for fans, Dalí would always keep their pens. When interviewed by Mike Wallace on his Sixty Minutes televison show, Dalí kept referring to himself in the third person, and told the startled Mr. Wallace matter-of factly that "Dalí is immortal and will not die". During another television appearance, on the Tonight Show, Dali carried with him a leather rhinoceros and refused to sit upon anything else.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally find surrealism to be more linked to Ni, as it tends to reject aesthetically pleasing imagery in order to get the viewer to interpret what the message is

btw do you still consider Bunuel to be an IEE? From what I've read on him and from some video I would have guessed maybe ILI
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any thoughts on Joan Miro? Never formally a member of the Surrealists, a surrealist painter nonetheless.
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Luis Bunuel looks like ISTj
    Louis Aragon ISTj

Slavador Dali may be ISTj also.
    Andre Breton is ISTp or ISTj
    Paul Eluard looks like a j head to me; maybe ISTj
    They all look ISTj or ISTp to me.

And they all look like each other on face forward shots.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel View Post
    hey marie, what have you read on him?
    btw, doubt we'll be able to really nail it, but if i'm gonna procrastinate figuring out famous people's types might as well be people i think are awesome
    edit: actually, i'm not sure about bunuel being enfp anymore..
    ILI is a very vague possibility as I haven't read extensively on him, just a bit of information I came across. He has a very direct bluntness to him, such as stating his beliefs in a somewhat absolutist certainly, which seems odd an Ne dominant.
    His general attachment to dark and otherworldly ideals is something I generally see in other ILI artists, with their Ni dominance and Fe PoLR, such as David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick (ILI's IMO of course)
    I also found a clip of an interview he did in which his demeanor wasn't anything I've encountered from IEE's. He comes across as emotionally stoic and monotonous
    EII INFj

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I generally find surrealism to be more linked to Ni, as it tends to reject aesthetically pleasing imagery in order to get the viewer to interpret what the message is
    I think surrealism is both Ni and Ne. Some artists may reject the pleasing imagery and some artists wish to show a different perspective on a familiar or assumed subject.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    I think surrealism is both Ni and Ne. Some artists may reject the pleasing imagery and some artists wish to show a different perspective on a familiar or assumed subject.
    I see what you're saying, Ne can also delve into the imaginary world and pull out odd visual concepts, I just see surrealism as a style that is more concerned with the message than the aesthetic appeal, which is rather more Ni than Si valuing IMO
    But that's not to say that surrealists are necessarily all Ni/Se valuing
    EII INFj

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel View Post
    Marie, just wanted to say I now think Bunuel is ISTp. Sorry, a bit of a hard time differentiating between duals sometimes lol. Him not being concerned with the aesthetics not true, strictly speaking. What he rejects is a certain kind of aesthetics, or an established aesthetics linked to the socio-political context of the mainstream of the time. Every socio-political class establishes its own art, or aesthetics. It's a way of validating the emergence of a class, so to speak. No wonder art works as status symbol of sorts.

Bunuel's films are aesthetically gorgeous, dealing with fetishes quite a bit too. According to Bunuel he never started working on a film with any fixed plan in mind, he rejected Fe (ie. established mainstream film norms and conventions) and freed up space for other...stuff. So yeah, perhaps you think INTp due to this rejection of Fe, which is not a rejection of aesthetics, merely a rejection of aesthetics of the time. At any rate, ISTp makes more sense from this pov + due to some other things in his personal life.
    Thanks for the explanation, I really don't know a lot about him and you have done the research so I trust that SLI is more likely
    EII INFj