Thread: Do you discuss politics irl?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you discuss politics irl?

I don't, really, except w my husband, my mom, and one of my friends.

My husband and I see eye-to-eye politically, so we just kind of reinforce each other's already-held stances.

My mom and I mostly see things similarly, though we don't discuss some things that we know we disagree on and don't care to debate.

As for the friend I discuss politics with, we have been friends since freshman year of high school and both started out, I'd say, right of center...over the years he has shifted right while I shifted left, and when we discuss politics (which is just about every time we hang out, every other month or so) we discuss our respective stances, and mostly respectfully disagree (w some ribbing, which neither of us takes personally). To give an idea of where we stand, of the options presented I was for Sanders (though w misgivings about some of his ideas I see as impractical, regrettably) and he is now for Trump, since Cruz backed out It's interesting talking w him, as he's a very intelligent guy (albeit willfully sheltered from my point of view; fwiw he'd say I have my head in the clouds). I like hearing his viewpoints.

Anyway, that's my story. Do you discuss politics irl? With whom? And do they generally agree or disagree?
    "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." - Yogi Berra

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

My bf is Conservative Republican lol and so is his family. I can understand why. Because the party appeals to those who love the country and who serve for the country which is his father, Vietnam. I can understand the passion behind association and shifting with the wind so to say and very respectful of their views even though I'm a humanist and I don't agree with some of the party ideology as it doesn't look for the wellbeing of people. Same can be said of other parties. Ahh I just don't think that capitalism solves all problems. Look at the recent study that shows hospital error as the number three cause of human death. That is due to for profit way of management of hospitals.

I talk about politics on the forum, with my parents, with anyone and everyone. I ask for their personal point of view because I want to get the whole picture and not stick to hard and fast beliefs.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do, but I don't really care. People that think they understand something that others do not are the least informed people and also the most likely to speak up. Politics is so complicated that the only opinion that shows a measure of reflection is one that the person doesn't cling to.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, I do.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

with a couple people.

my LSI dad likes to provoke me into heated debate. we have radically differing positions (he's a republican of the fox news adherent variety). when I'm visiting he'll do something like point to a news header and be like, "look what your KING OBAMA did today, you LIKE that??" sometimes I'm not in the mood and i'll brush it off and other times i'll engage myself. with him its much less about an informative exchanging of views and much more about the emotional atmosphere. so the discussions aren't very productive. he yells and does whatever he can to get me yelling. last time we talked about politics, we were having breakfast in a crowded diner and I said something about police violence and he leaned over the table and screamed, "VIOLENCE? what do you know about VIOLENCE? have you seen war?? I'VE SEEN WAR!!" lmao... honestly, even though it sounds like a negative experience (and it can be) its sort of a way to bond with him since he really enjoys the passion generated.

my IEE friend and I talk about it occasionally, and our conversations usually consist of me saying something categorical and her more or less agreeing but also pointing out the other side and saying I should give it more balance and context. which doesn't bother me, and I don't think she's wrong per se, but i don't feel like either of us really get much out of it.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I frequently discuss politics, but when it involves individuals or even parties, it is in a rather irreverent manner, seeing it all as some sort of pantomime. (I am more serious concerning actual issues, tending to see them as long-term concerns).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I frequently discuss politics, but when it involves individuals or even parties, it is in a rather irreverent manner, seeing it all as some sort of pantomime. (I am more serious concerning actual issues, tending to see them as long-term concerns).
    Example?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Example?
    For what?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

For what?
    For what you said
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For what you said
    Yes, but for which bit? It would be difficult for me to provide a sole example that was relevant to a whole post where I described two distinct behaviours that happen in different spheres.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Subteigh I'm curious about the difference b/w politics and actual issues. i assume you mean issues outside the context of whatever politician said this or that or proposed bills or w/e, but I'm not sure.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    @Subteigh I'm curious about the difference b/w politics and actual issues. i assume you mean issues outside the context of whatever politician said this or that or proposed bills or w/e, but I'm not sure.
    I mean that politicians are very here-today, gone-tomorrow people. Their parties are rather monolithically cumbersome. Politicians are always too focused on following the party line...or being engaged in infighting. They are too keen to points-score against rival parties, when it would be far more beneficial for everybody if they forgot party lines, and attempted to best represent their constituents' views.

That is not to say that individual politicians are not interesting, and are not well-meaning. I think generally, they are well-meaning.

When I think of the pantomime of politics (in the UK), I think especially of the House of Commons, but it extends into the media also. The hubris can be rather entertaining. However, in regards actual political issues, I think we are well into the Age where things should be decided far more often by regular referenda, most obviously via digital means (there are naturally concerns about the security of such voting, as well as the issue of "voter burnout" from regular votes, as well as the "average" citizen not being anywhere near informed enough on some issues, but I think these should not be primary concerns). I also think the first-past-the-post system is archaic and not the best way of electing people who best represent the electorate's views.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I do, but I don't really care. People that think they understand something that others do not are the least informed people and also the most likely to speak up. Politics is so complicated that the only opinion that shows a measure of reflection is one that the person doesn't cling to.
    i think this has truth, and i can see myself falling into this trap in my 6y 'something to believe in/fight for' way sometimes. i also think its easier to have an objective, academic remove from issues when you're not actually affected by them or don't notice viscerally how you are, and equating this with enlightened superiority rubs me the wrong way. i also notice that provoking people about problems they face in their daily lives until they crack and then holding it up as proof of why they shouldn't be listened to is a common debate tactic, at least on the internet.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

For what?
    You said you are more concerned about actual issues which one and why that one
    -

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You said you are more concerned about actual issues which one and why that one
    It is difficult to say which one of my children I prefer.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well obviously, a sissy fag like me clashes with asshole Republican str8 conservative estj in a business suit beliefs etc, so I have always identified as liberal more or less, but over the years I have empathized/sided with more conservative beliefs, or at least more moderate. I quit ultra liberal forums before because they got too creepy and cult like... but like I said I don't fit in with the 'i hate fags and women durrr' redneck morons either. My political beliefs do tend to be on the moderate/ambivalent/boring side... as I can see the assholeness ness of taking any position to its extremity.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Well obviously, a sissy fag like me clashes with asshole Republican str8 conservative estj in a business suit beliefs etc, so I have always identified as liberal more or less, but over the years I have empathized/sided with more conservative beliefs, or at least more moderate. I quit ultra liberal forums before because they got too creepy and cult like... but like I said I don't fit in with the 'i hate fags and women durrr' redneck morons either. My political beliefs do tend to be on the moderate/ambivalent/boring side... as I can see the assholeness ness of taking any position to its extremity.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I think people take their party (aristocratic view) to the detriment of making policies that hurt people and that is shameful and wrong
    -

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thank you @Maritsa you make me smile. <3 I hope you're doing well.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Most people are too set in their ways to even hear me out and actually consider what I'm saying. Politics is oddly very soliciting of emotion from many people.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Not really. People who vote based on in the moment feelings of "hell yeah" and don't do their research deserve everything they get. I wash my hands of them. It isn't going to change how I live my life either way.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    SEI 9w8 sp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Political and ethical opinions are often too entangled and disagreement always seems to be perceived as personal attacks.

I'm tired of having to tell people that my disagreement doesn't mean disgust or disrespect and I'm tired of dealing with soft grudges and people who view others' entire being through hard liberal and conservative lens.

The result of this is that I'm starting to become more apolitical as time goes on. But even that becomes annoying during election season where my unwillingness to be polarized and get in the ring means I'm an apathetic citizen who symbolizes everything wrong with the country.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It directly affects me and people I know. So yeah, I do.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To begin, I will say that I am for 100% sure voting for Hillary Clinton. Yes, but not at work, due to needing to maintain a sense of professionality. Unless the work environment is "casual" then fuck no I never discuss politics ever. Piss of the wrong people at a "casual" company and you've just jettisoned your career path.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

No, I avoid political discussions like the plague. If a political topic comes up I may make generalized statements, but other than that I am dismissive most of the time. I don't like discussing politics (or religion for that matter) because they are far too divisive of an issue. Moreover, my own views are too extreme in contrast to the mainstream that it radically alters any political discussion into me defending or elaborating on the foundations of my beliefs, which gets exhausting and I hate repeating myself. It's typical for people to classify me as some kind of anarchist after talking to me for a while. Though true in a colloquial sense, I have philosophical objections to being labelled as such. The most vocal I've ever been about my political beliefs has been on the Internet.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I mostly listen to others talk/joke about politics.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

eternal return
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a rule, I never initiate discussions about politics. If anyone explicitly asks me something related to politics, I will attempt to divulge my opinion, but I must admit my knowledge of political theory is not nearly sufficient enough such that I can say anything useful.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I used to be into politics(early 20s), but I've since stopped giving a crap. Keeping up with the Joneses requires a bit more time/energy/interest than I currently have. Getting your story really straight on any issue could take hours of research, if not days and weeks.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start talking about it when i'm read up on the political theory I subscribe to and the context of current events, but otherwise I just sort of skirt the issue. I don't mind talking about it, but it's just important i know what the hell i'm saying before i start.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I say my opinion. It's not a normal discussion, as people near know less about it. Recently there was a "discussion" with a taxi driver, lol

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I can discuss political events AND theory all day. I'm very persuasive against even when against a conservative majority.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, all the time; but only with people who aren't offended easily.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNe View Post
    Yes, all the time; but only with people who aren't offended easily.
    Lol are you really "MisterNe"? Hahaha
    -

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol are you really "MisterNe"? Hahaha
    Yes.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNe View Post
    Yes.
    We should do an LA meetup
    -

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should do an LA meetup
    #GoalsFor2k17?