TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Video Discussion #2 : The Person Behind The Name

TOPIC #2

Tell us about you! Use these topics to show how you're unique as a person and share facts other forums might not know!

Quote Originally Posted by look.to.the.sky View Post
    TOPIC QUESTION ROUND 1

What's in your bookshelf? What are your favorites, and what do they say about your interests? If you're not an avid reader, share your movies, video games, any collection that reflects a little bit of who you are.

GUIDELINES
    • Please be respectful of others and feel encouraged to respond to particular details about a poster's video.
    • Try to keep on topic, excessive typing and bickering will be moved out. Off topic stuff goes here: Video Discussions
    • These videos will still be used for the project, which is why it's in the General Discussion forum.
    • Be yourself and have fun!
    Last edited by Mattie; 06-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the shakiness! I didn't realize I had such an unsteady hand until I watched it. Hopefully you still like it

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG

This book will change your life! Dude that's a hilarious book.

Also, I've skimmed through that story structure architect book I think.

Hmm, I wanna do this, but I'll need to somehow get the cam installed on my mom's lappie, so I can travel upstairs...
    The end is nigh

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TOPIC #2

Tell us about you! Use these topics to show how you're unique as a person and share facts other forums might not know!

TOPIC QUESTION ROUND 1

What's in your bookshelf? What are your favorites, and what do they say about your interests? If you're not an avid reader, share your movies, video games, any collection that reflects a little bit of who you are.

I swear that when I suggested this topic, I didn’t even think that I'd wind up doing so much of it. Books are a pretty big passion of mine, and often when I go to someone's house, I’m inevitably drawn to their bookshelves to see what kinds of books they have.

Pathetically, the following isn't even referencing all my books. There are still pockets of books around the house such as in the closet and boxes under the bed. The worst part is, I fairly recently actually got rid of at least 1/4 of what I have left.

I've split it into chunks and have written a brief summary of what type of books are contained within each clip. Just a quick reading will give an idea of the variety of books I have.

If you're really interested in what I have to say about each section of books, only then listen to the video. I say listen because the video quality sucks to high heaven!! The sound's on the annoying side too. The camera I used gives a tinny high pitched tone to the audio. That tinn sound combined with my constant giggle/laugh is enough to give a headache.

Look.to.the.sky, you might be interested in the "Top Shelf Writing Books" video, and the three "Shed Occult" videos.

Bedroom Books refer to the books that are in my bedroom and have been used within this past week. These currently include gardening books, Sims 3 guide, various notes (including about a constructed language I was looking at yesterday), dehydrator book, raw foods/uncooking books, and other recipe books.

Game Shelf refers to the games that we've kept (got rid of a bunch of those too). The top of the shelves has boxes of dvds, I didn't get into those since the majority of them are Richard's and Manta's. I was trying to stick with my stuff or that which I'm the main one interested in it. These games include things like Settlers of Catan, expansions and variations, DS games, various card games, various logic puzzle type games, puzzles, labyrinth type games, chess (and learner's chess), and some detective type games.

The living room shelves contains books that are referred to off and on.

The Top Shelf Writing Books includes some card sorts and books for figuring out what one wants in a job/career, etc and includes such things as the What Color is Your Parachute workbook. The rest of the shelf is filled with writing books including some research for outdoors/survival skills, fairytales, and wolves. There's also a large section of notes which are notes that come from a box of writing books that are in the shed.

There's a few fitness related books, such as fitdecks, hoolahoop videos, yoga, all around fitness, and fighting/boxing, with some martial arts related books. The cookbooks here are pretty basic. Towards the end I do go into what it is that I like in a 'recipe' book.

Here are the gardening books, puzzle games books, self improvement books such as the 7 Habits, 5 Love Languages, 5 Languages of Apology, as well as some First Aid, Decluttering, Home care, and Computer reference books.

Motorcycle learning to ride books, Game guides (mostly Sims and Spore), Dog & Cat training, a handful of religious books, and piano, ocarina, strumstick, guitar music books (I went into which kinds of music books I liked, including improvisation and simple composition type books). There's also some musical instrument making, dancing, and woodworking books.

Drawing books don't deal with realistic drawings, mostly freehand simple designs and ed emberley type books. Oh, and the end of the clip I go into a clicker game that is a blast to play!!

Shed books are books that aren't referred to as much, OR the notes to them are in the house, OR have been removed so as to reduce risk of my using them to distract myself from what I need to do.

Occult 1: Magic books including one's for learning how to create your own magical system, Tarot

Occult 2: Handwriting, Personality Theories, Palmistry, Astral Projection, more magic books and more tarot/card books

Occult 3: Some more Tarot/card stuff, Astrology, Various religion reference info, and I Ching books

Counseling,NLP, Hypnosis, Critical Thinking, Symbolic Logic

Logic continuted, Karen Horney (with a tidbit of my thoughts on her), Philosophy (blech!!), and some other minor stuff

Choose Your Own Adventure books for adults, Fiction

Fiction Series (witches, werewolves, and other supernaturals. NOT vampire specific.)

Shed Other Half includes books on electricity, manga magazine, One Piece, and Tramps Like Us; also my favorite hypnosis/nlp books, homeschooling books that I haven't wanted to get rid of yet, and languages (with mention of japanese, sign language, constructed languages, and russian).

IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ETA: OMG the midpoint screen shows the raw food book I'm lambasting! That's fucking hilarious!

My video doesn't actually represent very well what I read; it's like an odd collection of books that I've had for years and never read or that friends have lent to me. I have a large appetite for reading, and so I'll read all kinds of things, even if I don't expect to gain very much in specific. I'll especially spend time & effort reading a book if one of my friends wants to talk about it with me; part of why I've read so much about religion through the years.

I read a lot of fiction, and there's almost no fiction books right now on my shelves. I've either loaned them all out, or else I never owned them in the first place and have given them back to their lenders. My all-time favorite genre is science fiction, hands down. Neal Stephenson, Robert Heinlein, Samuel R. Delaney, Philip K. Dick, (early) Orson Scott Card, Philip Jose Farmer, Alan Dean Foster, Larry Niven, Roger Zelazny, William Gibson, CJ Cherryh, Robert Sterling, Linda Nagata, Ursula K. LeGuin, George Alec Effinger, Andre Norton, Cory Doctorow, Douglas Adams ... those are just off the top of my head, and I've read multiple books by each. I do like a bit of fantasy, like Michael Moorcock, Terry Pratchett ... as I get older, I read more and more nonfiction, and there are only a few authors I keep on the look out for, such as Stephen Batchelor, translations by Stephen Mitchell, travelogues by Paul Theroux ... I'm trying to make it through my second Michio Kaku ...

Also not shown in the video are my more hardcore suvivalist books and my egalitarian communities directory; those are kept in the closet with the camping equipment and my old mix tapes . And there were other shelves with books you might have glimpsed; those are my SO's books. I try not to own much, so even though I love reading, I don't have very many books to my name. I still get lots of interesting stuff that comes my way, and I still very often am able to place a book into the hands of an interested party. Just yesterday, I lent out one of my favorite nonfiction books: Language in Thought and Action by S.I. Hayakawa. This book was instrumental in helping me to understand that language isn't only about efficiency in communication, and why - I'm still hung up on that, but nowhere near as much as I used to be. Also missing in action is a vitally applicable slim tome, How to Lie with Statistics. God that book is awesome; I'm not likely to get that copy returned to me at this point, but if any of you ever come across it, it's worth far more than the time it takes to read it.
    Last edited by iAnnAu; 06-29-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    (early) Orson Scott Card, ... Roger Zelazny, ... Ursula K. LeGuin, ... Douglas Adams
    yay!!

Just yesterday, I lent out one of my favorite nonfiction books: Language in Thought and Action by S.I. Hayakawa. This book was instrumental in helping me to understand that language isn't only about efficiency in communication, and why - I'm still hung up on that, but nowhere near as much as I used to be.
    this sounds interesting to me

Will you give me the author's name for that Design for the Real World book? That kind of stuff has been a recent off and on interest of mine. ((nevermind, i keep forgetting that i can look it up online...duh!!))

As for the Raw food thing, obviously I've got a ways to go before I'd ever fit anything like what your raw food propaganda book deals with. I mostly just like some of the simpler 'recipe' stuff, and is just something I'm trying to add more of, to replace some of the crapfoods we eat.
    Last edited by anndelise; 06-25-2009 at 03:26 AM.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    OMG

This book will change your life! Dude that's a hilarious book.

Also, I've skimmed through that story structure architect book I think.

Hmm, I wanna do this, but I'll need to somehow get the cam installed on my mom's lappie, so I can travel upstairs...
    I know! I actually wanted to go through and stick with it, because it has such cool stuff in there. I wanted to figure out another idea to utilize the book, but I haven't yet. If you can't get a whole of a laptop, you can always bring your books to your compy. I'm just lucky that that I have my own bookshelf (I have two actually! Like anndelise, I have a bookshelf for board games ) that I could just turn around and go to.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey iAnnAu, what's that camera you're using? Is it a Sony Cybershot? Video quality's great.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this topic isn't interesting, we can switch it to something else. I was hoping this thread would include those who had an issue with the first thread, as I thought I had recieved positive feedback to the idea of a lighter, non-socionics related topic. If this, overall, is a bad idea, I don't mind letting these threads die, but the interest that was sparked already tells me there are some people who like this. Don't forget that the first thread isn't dead either, you can still post there and post in both.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey look.to.the.sky,

Don't worry, I've personally been wanting to add to your video threads, but I just need to get my appearance in shape and try to deal with a camera that has only two minutes of video memory (ugh. ) You know, actually, we have a lot in common in terms of books (for example, I totally relate to wanting to be a fiction writer but hardly reading any fiction!) Well, hopefully I can get something going here soon. Anyway, just to let you know, I've really enjoyed your video thread ideas, and it really does help to put a face to posts, eh?

Cone
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-bg

If this topic isn't interesting, we can switch it to something else. I was hoping this thread would include those who had an issue with the first thread, as I thought I had recieved positive feedback to the idea of a lighter, non-socionics related topic. If this, overall, is a bad idea, I don't mind letting these threads die, but the interest that was sparked already tells me there are some people who like this. Don't forget that the first thread isn't dead either, you can still post there and post in both.
    I haven't gotten around to it, sorry. I will though soon. probably. (Ip temperment ftw )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Hey iAnnAu, what's that camera you're using? Is it a Sony Cybershot? Video quality's great.
    A Cybershot was my third choice. It's a Casio Exilim EX-Z1080, and my second choice was a Panasonic Lumix FX-100. I was primarily looking at sensor size, and those three (can't remember the model name of the Sony) had 0.42 square inch compared to most subcompacts which only have 0.25 or 0.28. It's also my third Exilim; I've played around with a lot of digital cameras (I usually figure out a way to get my hands on whomevers' are around) and nothing beats its bootup time. The previous two actually didn't have the best image quality; that's one reason I'm hoping "bigger is better" this time around. I'm just getting used to it; I keep meaning to put my first batch of pictures in an online album for those of you who might be interested in getting a glimpse of the all-ages playground that is the St. Louis City Museum ...

(Oh, and P.S. - another feature that was a must-have was anti-shake. I DO think it helped on the video!)
    Last edited by iAnnAu; 06-29-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: I realized "adult playground" sounded kinda dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply iAnnAu. I have a Kodak Easyshare M1033 that appears to have 1/2.3 in. CCD. Perhaps twas not the best choice but it was the best buy for the money (out of those I considered and could find at that time, which included a few Cybershots and one Nikon Coolpix), and it has some neat features like it can record video in 720p HD (though I'm not that highly impressed with the image despite the large resolution) has a nifty 3 inch display and a nice control panel. I'm no expert user and there's still some things I gotta figure out, but I love playing around with it and discovering it's potential.

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    (Oh, and P.S. - another feature that was a must-have was anti-shake. I DO think it helped on the video!)
    haha, I didn't notice that. I usually avoid using anti-shake on any video recording device (digicam, cellphone, camcorder, whatever) as it tends to slow down the movements too much.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.