Thread: Counter Culture and Alternative Lifestyles

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Counter Culture and Alternative Lifestyles

Do you consider yourself "outside the norm?" Do you live outside of social norms? Is your lifestyle removed from the typical "American dream" and more "Out there?" Describe your lifestyle and why you choose to lead a different life than most people, and your goals for your lifestyle.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does counter culture mean in this context?

Im inclined to say that no one really lives the American dream, but rather its an archetype of aspiration to make the machine keep working. But I may be misunderstanding the question.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm NEET. I sit at home all day and jerk off/binge watch Netflix shows/read Camus. I choose to lead this lifestyle because I'm a nihilist, have a low verbal IQ and most of my pants don't fit me. My current goal is to fast for the next 6 months while taking appetite suppressants, so that I can get down to 10-12% bf and start hitting up bars/clubs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    I'm NEET. I sit at home all day and jerk off/binge watch Netflix shows/read Camus. I choose to lead this lifestyle because I'm a nihilist, have a low verbal IQ and most of my pants don't fit me. My current goal is to fast for the next 6 months while taking appetite suppressants, so that I can get down to 10-12% bf and start hitting up bars/clubs.
    You're fat? I always assumed you were crack head skinny lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Ninja View Post
    Do you consider yourself "outside the norm?" Do you live outside of social norms? Is your lifestyle removed from the typical "American dream" and more "Out there?" Describe your lifestyle and why you choose to lead a different life than most people, and your goals for your lifestyle.
    The more of a single type someone appears to be, the more "outside the norm" the person is, because they have large imbalances between their strong and weak functions. "Normal" people are relatively balanced, so the variances in their strengths/weaknesses and valued/unvalued are low enough that it makes it difficult to distinguish a "type."

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and most of my pants don't fit me.
    well this is the next crisis. Forget the IQ.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    What does counter culture mean in this context?

Im inclined to say that no one really lives the American dream, but rather its an archetype of aspiration to make the machine keep working. But I may be misunderstanding the question.
    Not to over complicate this in any way, in this context it means basically what it sounds like. For an example, during the '60's the hippies were considered counter culture by the average person. Today's era it might be freegans/ vegans/ straight-edge/ minimalists/ neo-hippies/ bikers/ preppers/conspiracy theorists, or hobby extremists. Or, more mild forms pertaining to personal style: goths/ punks/ retro... etc. Anything that you wouldn't say the "average citizen" is.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

How about take up a hobby that you enjoy and find nice people to associate with.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to over complicate this in any way, in this context it means basically what it sounds like. For an example, during the '60's the hippies were considered counter culture by the average person. Today's era it might be freegans/ vegans/ straight-edge/ minimalists/ neo-hippies/ bikers/ preppers/conspiracy theorists, or hobby extremists. Or, more mild forms pertaining to personal style: goths/ punks/ retro... etc. Anything that you wouldn't say the "average citizen" is.
    Most of those seem like prevalent cultures in their own right. So like a sizable minority, in that someone could name the group you belong to and say "Fuck those guys/ or man did you see what the Xs did"?

Personally I don't really identify as anything. In of itself maybe that is counter culture, since in my country identifying to a group is a common cultural phenomena.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a lot of tidbits about a lot of different things, including various subcultures - I think they are interesting. But the currently trendy ones here kinda leave a bad taste in my mouth and are full of people that I think are annoying, pretentious and just overall remind me of the mindset I had in like 8th grade. These are the people who are into: seeing indie shows, septum piercings, doc martens, neon dyed hair, high waisted 90s jeans, cigarettes, and are often third-wave feminists who insist that literally everything is socially constructed. Personally I'd just rather try to be conventionally attractive. I like classic, simple colors in my clothes and prefer to look good but not like I'm trying really hard. Lol I always wear the same thing... but yeah being part of one subculture is something I've never really understood. If I could be one I'd be a Beatnik and they don't exist anymore.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yes. The American Dream is about being able to achieve a financially secure life based on one's independent abilities. I'm not ambitious in that regard and would be content to do menial tasks for minimal pay for decades.
    Where I live, people are expected to graduate from high school, get a bachelor's degree, get married, get a career related to their degree, and have a bunch of kids. I'm not interested in a career, my job is unrelated to my degree, I don't intend to upgrade to a bachelor's despite ability, and I have 2-3 fewer kids than most of my former classmates.
    This may seem like laziness. But obviously that's not possible, since I'm LSE.
    The primary difference is the goal of my lifestyle: to be a servant of God. The American Dream has a lot to do with self-elevation. I don't want that.
    Being a servant of God includes trying to live Biblically. That's way outside the norm.
    I also don't have a cell phone or a vehicle, because I don't like them. That's outside the norm, and so is dressing like an elementary-schooler.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Yes. The American Dream is about being able to achieve a financially secure life based on one's independent abilities. I'm not ambitious in that regard and would be content to do menial tasks for minimal pay for decades.
    Where I live, people are expected to graduate from high school, get a bachelor's degree, get married, get a career related to their degree, and have a bunch of kids. I'm not interested in a career, my job is unrelated to my degree, I don't intend to upgrade to a bachelor's despite ability, and I have 2-3 fewer kids than most of my former classmates.
    This may seem like laziness. But obviously that's not possible, since I'm LSE.
    The primary difference is the goal of my lifestyle: to be a servant of God. The American Dream has a lot to do with self-elevation. I don't want that.
    Being a servant of God includes trying to live Biblically. That's way outside the norm.
    I also don't have a cell phone or a vehicle, because I don't like them. That's outside the norm, and so is dressing like an elementary-schooler.
    That sounds like a hassle to go grocery shopping lol.