View Poll Results: What dichotomies do you use?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • extroversion/introversion

18 90.00%
  • intuitive/sensing

19 95.00%
  • logical/ethical

18 90.00%
  • irrational/rational

15 75.00%
  • carefree/farsighted

3 15.00%
  • obstinate/compliant

4 20.00%
  • static/dynamic

13 65.00%
  • democratic/aristocratic

10 50.00%
  • tactical/strategic

6 30.00%
  • constructivist/emotivist

6 30.00%
  • positivist/negativist

8 40.00%
  • reasonable/resolute

10 50.00%
  • merry/serious

13 65.00%
  • process/result

7 35.00%
  • questioning/declaring

6 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What dichotomies do you use?

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What dichotomies do you use?

Please vote.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also use the male/female dichotomie, and I can do that one solely with the use of VI.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I should really move this to Alternative Socionics Theories because the fifteen dichotomies expressed here are the Reinin dichotomies.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just move it if you like. But Reinin dichotomies were considered a discovery by Augusta so they are standard socionics in a way...

The result is quite interesting. There are people who don't even use the Jungian foundation ?!?!?

Someone thinks that extroversion/introversion is NOT a useful dichotomy ?!?!?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't want to argue the point particularly, but I don't think the Reinin dichotomies stand up on their own in the same way that the original Model A theory does, and at best they are perhaps an easier way of defining particular aspects relevant to certain types.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I don't want to argue the point particularly, but I don't think the Reinin dichotomies stand up on their own in the same way that the original Model A theory does, and at best they are perhaps an easier way of defining particular aspects relevant to certain types.
    In my opinion most Reinin dichotomies are rather useless. Both Ganin and DeLong think so. Paradoxically, Augusta considered them a discovery...

I hope that more people will vote so that we get to know if there are Reinin dichotomies which are useful. Static/dynamic seems to be a candidate...

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    In my opinion most Reinin dichotomies are rather useless. Both Ganin and DeLong think so. Paradoxically, Augusta considered them a discovery...

I hope that more people will vote so that we get to know if there are Reinin dichotomies which are useful. Static/dynamic seems to be a candidate...
    "discovery" can mean many things. In her case, it may merely have meant that the dichotomies were unproven but were of some interest.

Of the true Reinin dichotomies, I probably only use Static\Dynamic, and maybe Merry\Serious, in regards to Socionics. If I use the others, it is to a much lesser degree.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theory of the Reinin Dichotomies - Wikisocion
    There are so many English-speaking people who are interested in socionics...
    Why is there not even one native speaker who could make a readable text out of this disaster? Maybe I could improve the text a bit but I'm not a native speaker so I'm not a good man for this job...

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really use dichotomies, because they just are not as definining to a personality type. One's dominant function and quadra values are especially defining (but these aren't defining when certain people butcher them with their horrid understandings). I do use the traditional four in some instances, especially introvert and extrovert. That one is the most obvious and divides the information elements in half, like J/P does.

Quadra to IM is the easiest type method. First pick a quadra (4). Then pick an IM (4).

It's not the most accurate though. The most accurate is definitely IM to Quadra (though most of the time it won't matter). Sometimes I'm unsure about quadra but very sure about dominant IM.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to use the type dichotomies according to their function-position meanings; the function dichotomies are more interesting to me. Of those, I tend to use Strong/Weak, Inert/Contact, Valued/Subdued and Bold/Cautious (which is my name for Strong/Weak XOR Inert/Contact XOR Valued/Subdued).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed my mind.

Now I am of the opinion that all Reinin dichotomies are useful to explain certain things...

They are not useful for beginners and not a good method for typing but they have a lot of explanatory power if understood properly...

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think no dichotomies should be used because they trap fluid personalities into tight binaries. Instead of a trait being apparent, you use this "either or" and force someone into the binary, even when it when it's not relevant to the person.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I have no idea what those things are.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 03-31-2010 at 03:51 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you "use" a dichotomy?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    how do you "use" a dichotomy?
    I don't use it.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I also use the male/female dichotomie, and I can do that one solely with the use of VI.
    really? sometimes even that one can make me skeptical from time to time.

TIM
    LII-IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loo.to.the.sky
    I think no dichotomies should be used because they trap fluid personalities into tight binaries.
    Then socionics is no good for you. If you don't use dichotomies you can use
    - Model A. Then you have to decide: -valuer or -valuer? It's also dichotomous...
    - clubs and temperaments. Then you have to decide: Researcher or pragmatist? Melancholic or phlegmatic? It's also dichotomous...
    - type descriptions. Then you have to decide: Analyst or Critic? It's also dichotomous...

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    I have no idea what those things are.
    What do you mean? You hopefully don't mean that you have never heard of the Reinin dichotomies...
    Last edited by JohnDo; 04-16-2010 at 04:24 PM.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo View Post
    Then socionics is no good for you. If you don't use dichotomies you can use
    - Model A. Then you have to decide: -valuer or -valuer? It's also dichotomous...
    - clubs and temperaments. Then you have to decide: Researcher or pragmatist? Melancholic or phlegmatic? It's also dichotomous...
    - type descriptions. Then you have to decide: Analyst or Critic? It's also dichotomous...
    Actually, I can use Socionics because I don't apply it to personalities, I apply it to thought-processes. So yes, I don't use clubs, temperaments, type descriptions, none of that stuff. Because it is deciding something that can't be, Socionics can't predict personality traits, it sets out to determine your thought-process which in turn affects your personality, but does not cause it, since there is a multitude of other prominent facts that affect it as well.

I only use two things: IEs and Functions Which everyone should use as a base, by the least, but I've decided the best way to type is ONLY by these, because the moment you start to take short-cuts is the moment you take ingenuity away from the person. The IEs and Functions are applicable to me because they don't say anything about someone's personality, and, are only binary if you apply them as "either-or" instead of thinking "I think is the leading function, which would make ignoring to fit in logically." and then investigate to see if and manifest correctly in these placements rather than "Which do they value?" as you are pigeonholing them into certain behaviors and ignoring the whole.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDo
    Why is there not even one native speaker who could make a readable text out of this disaster?
    There are two readable versions: one created by Snegledmaca, the other by RMcNew (currently called Angel von Himmer if I recall correctly). A forum search should be able to retrieve these.

I use rational/irrational (although critical of the common interpretation of it), static/dynamic, introvert/extrovert, ethics/logics, merry/serious, reasonable/resolute, intuitive/sensing, process/result, positive/negative and (since recently) taciturn/narrator, in order of ascribed importance.

It is intentional that I rate the dichotomies related to J functions as more influential than those related to P functions.

The remaining dichotomies are bogus and are detrimental to one's understanding of socionics. They can be used, for example, to defend the position that conflictors are very similar to eachother. Without the firmly established verdict that some pairs of types are more similar to each other than others, the ability to tell types apart has no hopes of remaining standing. If one believes in the dichotomies at all, one has to admit that whatever property they describe has only a very weak effect on what the person is like.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use two things: IEs and Functions
    Sorry to break this to you, but these things are dichotomies like any other:
    Ti = merry, logic, static
    Fi = serious, ethics, static
    Te = serious, logic, dynamic
    Fe = merry, ethics, dynamic
    Si = reasonable, sensing, dynamic
    Ni = resolute, intuitive, dynamic
    Se = resolute, sensing, static
    Ne = reasonable, intuitive, static

You're already using the dichotomies in your head.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use all 512 of them, but I use asking/declaring and optimist/pessimist as a last resort as to me they are the least understood Reinin traits within the symmetric structure of the socion

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    I use all 512 of them
    lol wut

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Sorry to break this to you, but these things are dichotomies like any other:
    Ti = merry, logic, static
    Fi = serious, ethics, static
    Te = serious, logic, dynamic
    Fe = merry, ethics, dynamic
    Si = reasonable, sensing, dynamic
    Ni = resolute, intuitive, dynamic
    Se = resolute, sensing, static
    Ne = reasonable, intuitive, static

You're already using the dichotomies in your head.
    They didn't arrive as dichotomies, they were broken up into dichotomies. Merry, logic, and static, for example, didn't exist as variables before did. did and then was broken down into dichotomies for easier explanations and use. And if we want to get nit picky on it all, sure, there are technical dichotomies in the system, but they aren't used as short hand for the actual information, and don't cut out pieces from the bigger picture. To be clear, I don't use dichotomies as short-cuts to type people, which is what the question was referring to, and ultimately, what dichotomies are used for.