Thread: How to romance series: LSI

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Well, actually everything was fine, but I was getting impatient because things wouldn't progress. I think he really needed things to be on his terms and it could very well have been an issue that has nothing to do with type. But when I can't have a crappy day and annoy someone without being told that he is "put off," I really can't help it. I don't believe in being on my best, most accommodating behavior for too long.

I think he felt like "this is how it's going to be, no way! Too pushy and intrusive."
    I felt like "I can't have a crappy day and be temporarily annoying. Yeah, no. It's not all about you..."

I did find the severity of his reaction a bit ridiculous. He was all formal, jeez. A simple "I don't think we are a good match" would have been perfectly suitable, but I had to be scolded. Probably not type-related though.
    See, things were not progressing. Same as in my case I described...

What did he say that was explicit scolding? You only quoted him on "I no longer want to communicate with you" and you mentioned he was "put off".

Definitely sounds like he had more problems than just that bad day of yours. It might've just all come out then. Not trying to defend him, just saying. And, what would you have wanted if not "formal"? What was the problem with that?

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    "The person who is best suited to us is not the person who shares our every taste (he or she doesn’t exist), but the person who can negotiate differences in taste intelligently — the person who is good at disagreement. Rather than some notional idea of perfect complementarity, it is the capacity to tolerate differences with generosity that is the true marker of the “not overly wrong” person. Compatibility is an achievement of love; it must not be its precondition."
    That's just wrong, some degree of compatibility is definitely required for a relationship, generosity and tolerance don't last forever without that.

No such thing as perfect complementarity but this quote goes to the other extreme.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post

Thank you for responding, Kimmeh. So informative.
    <3

I will respond when I can.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    See, things were not progressing. Same as in my case I described...
    He kept talking about what we will do when we see each other again, but made no effort to see me (or help me with my efforts to make it happen). I don't like all talk. If you say you want to do something, do it.

What did he say that was explicit scolding? You only quoted him on "I no longer want to communicate with you" and you mentioned he was "put off".
    I don't have the text anymore and don't really want to revisit this in detail, but the tone was condescending and formal and he scolded me for basically misbehaving (aka, not acting according to HIS script) and stating that I was in the wrong (which I wasn't, by the most objective standards). He could have just said "sorry, I don't think this is working out" rather than pointing out my "bad behavior" (which didn't exist).
    Definitely sounds like he had more problems than just that bad day of yours.
    He was pissed off that I didn't let him do what he wanted. He wanted it all on his terms and he sucked at communicating. I am usually more than happy to own my part in a communication breakdown, but when I ask someone if they are ok and they answer "no" and nothing else and leave me hanging for an entire day and night while I worry my little heart out, and then scold me for being "probing," the issue is with them and them alone. Everything was absolutely hunky dory before, until I got annoyed with the constant talk, but no initiative. When I nicely asked if he is really all that interested he ignored me. Then he deliberately made me worry as punishment for asking again what we are going to do. I have dated someone like this before. It's classic narcissist bullshit.

It might've just all come out then. Not trying to defend him, just saying. And, what would you have wanted if not "formal"? What was the problem with that?
    See above. Rather than telling me how annoying my behavior is in the most condescending and ridiculously formal tone, he could have just said "sorry, not working for me."

But other red flags suggest I was dealing with a narcissistic sociopath, so this is likely not type-related.
    ― Anais Nin

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<3

I will respond when I can.
    Lol, I meant thank you for the response you already gave. You don't have to keep spinning this particular plate.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol, I meant thank you for the response you already gave. You don't have to keep spinning this particular plate.
    I know that's what you meant, but I still want to respond. It's a very enlightening plate.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

He kept talking about what we will do when we see each other again, but made no effort to see me (or help me with my efforts to make it happen). I don't like all talk. If you say you want to do something, do it.
    Did you explicitly ask for help with your efforts to make it happen?

I don't have the text anymore and don't really want to revisit this in detail, but the tone was condescending and formal and he scolded me for basically misbehaving (aka, not acting according to HIS script) and stating that I was in the wrong (which I wasn't, by the most objective standards). He could have just said "sorry, I don't think this is working out" rather than pointing out my "bad behavior" (which didn't exist).
    I'm not sure if it was actually a condescending tone for the formal expression about not wanting to communicate more if it was just text. The scolding part, ok, that's negative.

He was pissed off that I didn't let him do what he wanted. He wanted it all on his terms and he sucked at communicating. I am usually more than happy to own my part in a communication breakdown, but when I ask someone if they are ok and they answer "no" and nothing else and leave me hanging for an entire day and night while I worry my little heart out, and then scold me for being "probing," the issue is with them and them alone. Everything was absolutely hunky dory before, until I got annoyed with the constant talk, but no initiative. When I nicely asked if he is really all that interested he ignored me. Then he deliberately made me worry as punishment for asking again what we are going to do. I have dated someone like this before. It's classic narcissist bullshit.
    Are you sure he made you worry deliberately?

Sounds like your way of "probing" was not compatible with him. (This part could be Socionics related.) That, and maybe some unhealthy stuff going on too, sure.

See above. Rather than telling me how annoying my behavior is in the most condescending and ridiculously formal tone, he could have just said "sorry, not working for me."

But other red flags suggest I was dealing with a narcissistic sociopath, so this is likely not type-related.
    That tone could've just been Ti stuff.

Red flags are no good though of course.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hey, wait a minute. I found this thing on a Socionics web site that says IEE and LSI are Conflictors!

What could that mean?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Myst I think trying to dissect this too much is unhealthy for me because I am prone to making excuses for crappy behavior. I have run the scenario by several people and they agreed that he has concerning tendencies of being controlling and lacking empathy. I don't think type is the issue here. He did not take interest in me and my life before that happened and is overall very self-absorbed.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

@Myst I think trying to dissect this too much is unhealthy for me because I am prone to making excuses for crappy behavior. I have run the scenario by several people and they agreed that he has concerning tendencies of being controlling and lacking empathy. I don't think type is the issue here. He did not take interest in me and my life before that happened and is overall very self-absorbed.
    OK, I get you, it's fine, my goal was not making you make excuses for him, noo, that would be too much the other side Definitely don't be a doormat or anything like that. I'm just questioning that he's an actual narcissist instead of this being just a Conflict relationship with a perhaps less than entirely healthy LSI (which isn't necessarily outright narcissism).

I don't know about the empathy part, but otherwise LSI is an overly controlling type from the pov of an IEE. No question about that, I won't debate this with you that he looked controlling to you and he probably was in a sense. The Ti will be taken the wrong way a lot beyond this too, as shown in your posts on the issue about tone. I suggest if you absolutely couldn't take these things in him, don't date another LSI.

Not simply because Socionics says Conflict relations are bad but because in practice it clearly doesn't work for you. These things are pretty central to the LSI type and IEE tends to see them this way you describe it. EIE deals with all that Ti stuff better than IEE. Part of that is how EIE is able to influence them with Fe. Of course this still assumes the person does not have actual issues beyond type characteristics. I also speak from quite heavy experience about how Conflict relations don't work...

Anyway, no more dissecting, good luck with your ILE.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, looking at the stats, estimates of the prevalence of personality disorders in the US population run from around 9% to 15%.

By contrast, if the sixteen types are evenly distributed, LSIs would be 6.25% of the population.

Therefore, there's a greater likelihood of meeting someone with a PD than who is LSI. Maybe Kim met an actual personality-disordered person and mistyped him LSI because that's her conflictor.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Well, looking at the stats, estimates of the prevalence of personality disorders in the US population run from around 9% to 15%.

By contrast, if the sixteen types are evenly distributed, LSIs would be 6.25% of the population.

Therefore, there's a greater likelihood of meeting someone with a PD than who is LSI. Maybe Kim met an actual personality-disordered person and mistyped him LSI because that's her conflictor.
    In that case she had to cherrypick things when telling us about him to make him look LSI enough. Not saying this idea of yours isn't possible

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

OK, I get you, it's fine, my goal was not making you make excuses for him, noo, that would be too much the other side Definitely don't be a doormat or anything like that. I'm just questioning that he's an actual narcissist instead of this being just a Conflict relationship with a perhaps less than entirely healthy LSI (which isn't necessarily outright narcissism).

I don't know about the empathy part, but otherwise LSI is an overly controlling type from the pov of an IEE. No question about that, I won't debate this with you that he looked controlling to you and he probably was in a sense. The Ti will be taken the wrong way a lot beyond this too, as shown in your posts on the issue about tone. I suggest if you absolutely couldn't take these things in him, don't date another LSI.

Not simply because Socionics says Conflict relations are bad but because in practice it clearly doesn't work for you. These things are pretty central to the LSI type and IEE tends to see them this way you describe it. EIE deals with all that Ti stuff better than IEE. Part of that is how EIE is able to influence them with Fe. Of course this still assumes the person does not have actual issues beyond type characteristics. I also speak from quite heavy experience about how Conflict relations don't work...

Anyway, no more dissecting, good luck with your ILE.
    I didn't mean to shut you down and I appreciate your input! There have been several red flags that suggest that he does have issues beyond type. But you are right, LSIs are controlling to me.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I didn't mean to shut you down and I appreciate your input! There have been several red flags that suggest that he does have issues beyond type. But you are right, LSIs are controlling to me.
    A very interesting observation about your impression of LSI's.

Having spent over a year each in relationships with SLI's (your dual) and LSI's (your conflictor) I can say that I found LSI's to be slightly controlling, in the sense that they wanted to establish a clear hierarchy in the chain of command. When they found I could not be controlled, they stopped trying (mostly) to control me, accepted my lead, and just went with the flow.

The SLI never tried to directly control me (which is why I married her) but instead used passive aggression to influence me, which I found to be worse in many ways, but that might have been her aberrant reaction to being with someone who was not reacting to her actions the way that she subconsciously expected - like an IEE would, that is.

I've since thought that a lot of my problems with the SLI had to do with the fact that neither of us had the correct "levers" to steer or influence the other. I do think duals have these levers for each other. I've seen this in my own case.

I'm enjoying reading about your voyage through the socion dating scene. With time, it could rival the one written by an LSI male about his experiences. I can only say I greatly admire your boldness and fortitude.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Having spent over a year each in relationships with SLI's (your dual) and LSI's (your conflictor) I can say that I found LSI's to be slightly controlling, in the sense that they wanted to establish a clear hierarchy in the chain of command. When they found I could not be controlled, they stopped trying (mostly) to control me, accepted my lead, and just went with the flow.
    My LIE ex also felt that way about me. But I never just went with the flow with him, I didn't accept his lead or anything like that. We just continued to fight over these things, though nothing too bad. I didn't mind the fights themselves, just if it was a pain in the ass to get something sorted, from a practical standpoint.

I've since thought that a lot of my problems with the SLI had to do with the fact that neither of us had the correct "levers" to steer or influence the other. I do think duals have these levers for each other. I've seen this in my own case.
    Agreed. I did not have the Fi "lever" in my relationship with the LIE for sure. When sometimes I managed to be "Fi enough" that worked wonders. Same for him when he managed to be "Fe enough".

I'm enjoying reading about your voyage through the socion dating scene. With time, it could rival the one written by an LSI male about his experiences.
    Ha, yeah.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm enjoying reading about your voyage through the socion dating scene. With time, it could rival the one written by an LSI male about his experiences. I can only say I greatly admire your boldness and fortitude.
    Aw, I this made my day! <3

Now I feel less pathetic about the fact that the ILE is already history and I am currently typing the next candidate.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly, I don't find LSIs controlling. I might see them as niggling or rigid, but I can't imagine how they even might have the ability to actually control me. Is that why they're my duals? Why is that when ppl talk about LSIs, I find I see them so differently than people describe? Have I typed a bunch of IEIs as LSI?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oddly, I don't find LSIs controlling. I might see them as niggling or rigid, but I can't imagine how they even might have the ability to actually control me. Is that why they're my duals? Why is that when ppl talk about LSIs, I find I see them so differently than people describe? Have I typed a bunch of IEIs as LSI?
    Very interesting observation. I think you typed them correctly! I have some thoughts on this. It's somewhat of a general question, let me map this out real quick.

So, control of any kind is Se. But! An ethical element is needed to make it personal. Se + logics controls facts, laws, topics, accuracy, systems, and so on. Se + ethics though... they know how to control people, hands-on. In a positive and negative sense, depending on disposition and context. I imagined looking at any SEE, they are the epitome of knowing how to allocate human resources for good or bad purposes. That would be "controlling". Do you know what I mean?

In your situation, you would actually be the one in control, ethically, aided by your Se HA. The LSI is more in charge of the situation as it fits into his or her framework of rules, making sure that those rules are not broken. In comparison to an SEE, who is supervised by exactly this framework, their approach is rigid just as you say. In a sense of keeping everything together instead of intrusively allocating everyone SeFi style. Did this help?

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It's not that I feel like they are actively controlling me. I am always willing to adapt and accommodate, so when someone is rigid and niggling and a one-path thinker who rejects my way of looking at bigger pictures, a variety of avenues, I will try to accommodate them (when I realize I can't get them to see things in a more complex way). Then I feel trapped in this rigid thought system and feel controlled and limited.

So "they are controlling" is probably not the right way of putting it, but rather "I feel controlled by them." It's like they chain me down with their lack of flexibility.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[Late to the party.]

Seconding the dislike of keeping options open to the winds. Having many places to go makes the ahem computation of what to do too complicated, because your next step now has to be assessed for benefits to options A, B and C, instead of just A. If I stick to aiming for option A, I end up with more breadth to manoeuver as I only need to keep one target in sight, and this leaves me more mental space to think up new ways to get there.

I'm also puzzled by the thoughts of re-arranging people instead of circumstances. I've thought it may be enneagram related, or ntr at all, but of me the notion of re-arranging other people's (socionics) ethical relation to me (in my personal life) is... intrusive. They're going to have their feelings anyway. How would you describe (@Kim) this re-arrangement?*

*I guess my way of influencing that would be more roundabout, thinking of non-friends I want things from Not so much sheer enthusiasm (unless sheer enthusiasm exists for another reason, in which case get your earplugs ready ) as little touches/suggestions/judicious words here and there to (hopefully) steer them to like me sufficiently or whatnot.*
    Last edited by GuavaDrunk; 01-10-2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Fixed mention
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    Very interesting observation. I think you typed them correctly! I have some thoughts on this. It's somewhat of a general question, let me map this out real quick.

So, control of any kind is Se. But! An ethical element is needed to make it personal. Se + logics controls facts, laws, topics, accuracy, systems, and so on. Se + ethics though... they know how to control people, hands-on. In a positive and negative sense, depending on disposition and context. I imagined looking at any SEE, they are the epitome of knowing how to allocate human resources for good or bad purposes. That would be "controlling". Do you know what I mean?

In your situation, you would actually be the one in control, ethically, aided by your Se HA. The LSI is more in charge of the situation as it fits into his or her framework of rules, making sure that those rules are not broken. In comparison to an SEE, who is supervised by exactly this framework, their approach is rigid just as you say. In a sense of keeping everything together instead of intrusively allocating everyone SeFi style. Did this help?
    I'll have to think about it. When I consider my personal history, I would say I have a strong tendency to resist whatever SEEs might be trying to do, to actively argue with them, or to argue toward others that they should not do what an SEE is advocating. None of this has been very serious in nature. Sometimes it has even been comical! And we can generally patch it up. I tend to take ESIs more seriously, and with them I suppose either we align pretty strongly with mutually supportive ideas, or we split off and do our own things because we don't agree. The middle ground is narrow.

This is all to say that I'm not sure I easily see Se + Fi as knowing how to control people. I have to run back through my mental inventory of Gamma SFs to see how that might have worked from other people's perspectives.
    Last edited by golden; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 PM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Heh this is what I meant. You influence them naturally, they also influence you naturally because the Ti vs Fe (and Se vs Ni) communication aligns well. I'm curious now, what sort of stuff do you perceive as controlling?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Myst

I do not think that LXIs want to control anything or anybody not directly associated with their plans; they will even try to avoid offering opinions because the last thing that they want is more responsibility. However, they can be obsessive about fulfilling their plans and responsibilities, and if one is associated with either, then that person will definitely feel their attempts to possessively control their plan. If one is standing in their way, they can be absolutely ruthless and if one is the object of their loyalty or devotion, they can be so protective that they sometimes will attempt to limit that person's freedom for, as they would say, "their own good". This may be somewhat acceptable when they're right but when they're wrong, well.......

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    @Myst

I do not think that LXIs want to control anything or anybody not directly associated with their plans; they will even try to avoid offering opinions because the last thing that they want is more responsibility. However, they can be obsessive about fulfilling their plans and responsibilities, and if one is associated with either, then that person will definitely feel their attempts to possessively control their plan. If one is standing in their way, they can be absolutely ruthless and if one is the object of their loyalty or devotion, they can be so protective that they sometimes will attempt to limit that person's freedom for, as they would say, "their own good". This may be somewhat acceptable when they're right but when they're wrong, well.......
    Hahaha oh god, right. Better be right (responding to the last lines here).

Btw why were you addressing this specifically to me? I don't think I ever said anything against this. I actually agree with a lot of this description you gave. The one thing that doesn't apply is not wanting to offer opinions. I do offer them pretty easily. Except when I do see that it would involve too much time explaining further. If that counts as not wanting to take on the responsibility of doing so.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

.....Btw why were you addressing this specifically to me?..........
    It was your question to golden that was the catalyst for my thought. I perhaps should not have addressed it to you specifically.....

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Myst

a.k.a. I/O
    Hahaha oh god, right. Better be right (responding to the last lines here).

Btw why were you addressing this specifically to me? I don't think I ever said anything against this. I actually agree with a lot of this description you gave. The one thing that doesn't apply is not wanting to offer opinions. I do offer them pretty easily. Except when I do see that it would involve too much time explaining further. If that counts as not wanting to take on the responsibility of doing so.
    @Rebelondeck, this is spot on for LXI's, with @Myst's exception for LSI's. It is a much better description of the LSI's actions than my too-simple statement that they can try to "control" me. In fact, it gets to the heart of one of the best things about LSI's, which is the fact that they genuinely care about people in ways which can be very supportive. This is a very long way from the narcissistic attention I got from my mother, who did try to control me.

I actually remember the moment when I first felt this concern in the LSI that I was seeing. We were just hanging out at her place, I had just fixed her car, she had arranged some flowers on her deck and was making dinner and we were just talking about anything at all, and I remember feeling truly cared for, sort of like coming home to a home that I never had, and being quietly astonished at how good it felt.
    In retrospect, the times that she tried to influence my actions were all directed at having us spend more time together. I travel a lot, and she once said she was angry at me for not being around more. But in a year, that was the only criticism she voiced.
    Well, we were once talking about feelings, and how I don't express them easily, and she said she wished I were more expressive, but she understood that that's just the way I am.
    Damn that Fe/Fi divide.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh this is what I meant. You influence them naturally, they also influence you naturally because the Ti vs Fe (and Se vs Ni) communication aligns well. I'm curious now, what sort of stuff do you perceive as controlling?
    I have found people of all quadras controlling. Here are some things that qualify as controlling for me:

* Denying me my point of view
    * Telling me how I feel, assuming you can understand that
    * Setting up situations that serve your needs and not mine
    * Treating me like an object
    * Gaslighting
    * Discouraging me from having friends
    * Leaving me to do all the grunt work
    * Mansplaining or any kind of condescension
    * Lying about me
    * Lying to me (following a pattern of deceit)
    * Trying to impose rigid gender roles on me
    * Making unilateral decisions when my input should have been sought
    * Using insulting language to talk about me, or directly insulting me
    * Forcing me to have sex
    * Threatening me
    * Bullying me
    * Harassing me
    * Using me
    * Nickel-and-diming me
    * Underpaying me

Things like that. These things are actual controlling behaviors. Any type can do these things -- woot! Equal opportunity.
    Last edited by golden; 01-10-2017 at 02:52 PM.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found people of all quadras controlling. Here are some things that qualify as controlling for me:

* Gaslighting
    * Lying about me
    * Nickel-and-diming me
    * Spreading false information about me
    * Forcing me to have sex
    * Threatening me
    * Bullying me
    * Harassing me
    * Using me
    * Underpaying me

Things like that. These things are actual controlling behaviors. Any type can do these things -- woot! Equal opportunity.
    do you think that gaslighting can be due to being controlled of other quadra? What im reading on it is that your reality get undervalued and an other is pushed on you and you start to go crazy.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    do you think that gaslighting can be due to being controlled of other quadra? What im reading on it is that your reality get undervalued and an other is pushed on you and you start to go crazy.
    I think there's a possibility that intertype or interquadra conflict or could make some of these bad behaviors more pronounced, but I've also seen messed-up people with messed-up duals and activity partners and family members who just reinforced each other's BS.

I associate gaslighting specifically with dark-triad personality problems and am not sure I see it as related to quadral conflict

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerfadder View Post
    Gaslighting is something that manipulative and controlling people do, and doesn't have really anything to do with socionics, in my opinion. It's simply a way to control through indirect means. It's not that someone doesn't value your reality in any kind of quadra-related way, it's that they are purposefully trying to manipulate your reality and get you to question your perceptions so you will depend on theirs instead.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Hmm, ok. A lot of these things you listed are incredibly unfair especially when it's clear it's intentionally done but I wouldn't feel controlled by some of it since I have a choice to respond.

What I call controlling is when behaviour is directly controlled by the person (or direct attempt at doing so). The rest is selfish, unfair etc, so crap, yes, but the other party still has a choice to respond in whatever way they want to.

I guess if those are done intentionally to manipulate, that's a form of control (or attempt at it) too. So in that sense I get what you mean even if to me that's weirdly indirect.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If one wants relationships with Ijs, one first must get to intimately know their plans, which may not be all that forthcoming right off the bat; it'll take time and a superficial understanding won't do. Many Ijs may think that they don't have plans but if one looks deep enough, they're there. All the time that you'll be spending trying to figure out the Ijs' plans, they will be rationalizing you, your probing and your actions. Their main concern will be whether or not you can be integrated into their plans and for your own protection, you have to find out exactly the same thing because they may not get it right in the beginning but later will wash their hands of you quickly. They'll readily give opinions and signals, not as much to cater to you but rather to test you, and much of this behaviour is involuntary. In the beginning, if their responses seem somewhat casual and non specific, then they may not be all that interested either the subject or the potential relationship - it can be hard to distinguish.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, ok. A lot of these things you listed are incredibly unfair especially when it's clear it's intentionally done but I wouldn't feel controlled by some of it since I have a choice to respond.

What I call controlling is when behaviour is directly controlled by the person (or direct attempt at doing so). The rest is selfish, unfair etc, so crap, yes, but the other party still has a choice to respond in whatever way they want to.

I guess if those are done intentionally to manipulate, that's a form of control (or attempt at it) too. So in that sense I get what you mean even if to me that's weirdly indirect.
    The themes behind what I listed would be that they're all moves that diminish my humanity, choice, power, and self-determination. This is why I find them to be controlling moves. People can do them unconsciously simply to further a hegemony without being individually controlling, but the result is I'm still going to experience it as a check on me.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

* Gaslighting
    * Lying about me
    * Forcing me to have sex
    * Threatening me
    * Bullying me
    * Harassing me
    * Using me
    * Nickel-and-diming me
    * Underpaying me

Oh yes. People from the Quadra called "Toxic Masculinity" have proven to demonstrate these behaviors. The four types found in this Quadra are called Psychopath, Narcissist, Abuser and CEO. A classic among these types is Enneagram 10 which describes the core fear of being castrated and called a woman, since being femininity is diminishing. Integration happens through soft and healing gay romance that will free all women and other men from this Quadra's misguided ways

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

If one wants relationships with Ijs, one first must get to intimately know their plans, which may not be all that forthcoming right off the bat; it'll take time and a superficial understanding won't do. Many Ijs may think that they don't have plans but if one looks deep enough, they're there. All the time that you'll be spending trying to figure out the Ijs' plans, they will be rationalizing you, your probing and your actions. Their main concern will be whether or not you can be integrated into their plans and for your own protection, you have to find out exactly the same thing because they may not get it right in the beginning but later will wash their hands of you quickly. They'll readily give opinions and signals, not as much to cater to you but rather to test you, and much of this behaviour is involuntary. In the beginning, if their responses seem somewhat casual and non specific, then they may not be all that interested either the subject or the potential relationship - it can be hard to distinguish.
    Hm, well I have been pretty upfront with the plans stuff, right away when I thought of something. But that was with people who I already knew, hm. Makes sense.

Casual and non-specific responses... it just means I'm keeping a distance. Still keeping it for now (may allow this to change later) or already decided to forever keep it. Quite good at keeping up this wall in any case (once a friend of mine called it that).

The themes behind what I listed would be that they're all moves that diminish my humanity, choice, power, and self-determination. This is why I find them to be controlling moves. People can do them unconsciously simply to further a hegemony without being individually controlling, but the result is I'm still going to experience it as a check on me.
    Well if they are done with the intention to diminish your power and self-determination etc that's really bad controlling moves. Direct or indirect. Otoh I can see versions of some of the things in your list as ways to control the situation for own ends without intending to diminish the opponent in any way. That doesn't mean I'd agree with those moves either since they still don't take the other person into account. I guess, when seeing them as controlling also includes the assumption that they'd respond to the opponent disagreeing or fighting back in a negative way trying to control the situation and/or the person just even more strongly. And I can see how most of the stuff in the list are easily red flags in terms of making it likely that the person with such moves would respond this way.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idunno. I'm like Shrek now because I want my space, I'm not liked, and I'm very difficult to get to know. I'm burnt out and let down and already wasted invested time on the wrong men and developed trust issues. It would be hard to romance me at this point because I'm so paranoid about men's ulterior motives. I don't even know anymore what would work on me as an LSI.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Ninja View Post
    Idunno. I'm like Shrek now because I want my space, I'm not liked, and I'm very difficult to get to know. I'm burnt out and let down and already wasted invested time on the wrong men and developed trust issues. It would be hard to romance me at this point because I'm so paranoid about men's ulterior motives. I don't even know anymore what would work on me as an LSI.
    I don't have any suggestions, just the observation that I may have fairly similar attitudes and reactions, and I don't want "romance" and haven't for a very long time. What I suppose I've usually wanted was more of a raw, direct meeting of minds and bodies with a lot of tacit recognition of how we are shaped (and misshapen) by society and family, so how people experience one another is always more an indicator and an approximation than a truth. Knowing this, I have a sense of how close or not-close I can actually get to another human being. There is always a limit, always something I cannot reach in another person. To assume otherwise is disrespectful.

So I don't think anything "works on" anyone else. With my LSI friends, I suppose I haven't really done anything except try to see as much about their reality as I can, and validate their experiences and point of view. I see things that appear fragile and strong in them at the same time, and I kind of don't try to touch any of that directly, but more invisibly um . . . I guess envelop it in some way and just let it be.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Ninja View Post
    :/ Sounds like you want to figure out how things went wrong, how they were the wrong men, who aren't the wrong men, etc and get back in control over these situations (more control than ever before, actually). I hope you get around this issue in the future.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

I don't have any suggestions, just the observation that I may have fairly similar attitudes and reactions, and I don't want "romance" and haven't for a very long time. What I suppose I've usually wanted was more of a raw, direct meeting of minds and bodies with a lot of tacit recognition of how we are shaped (and misshapen) by society and family, so how people experience one another is always more an indicator and an approximation than a truth. Knowing this, I have a sense of how close or not-close I can actually get to another human being. There is always a limit, always something I cannot reach in another person. To assume otherwise is disrespectful.

So I don't think anything "works on" anyone else. With my LSI friends, I suppose I haven't really done anything except try to see as much about their reality as I can, and validate their experiences and point of view. I see things that appear fragile and strong in them at the same time, and I kind of don't try to touch any of that directly, but more invisibly um . . . I guess envelop it in some way and just let it be.
    Again the directness theme. I again have to agree.

How do you mean it's disrespectful -where you mention this issue- or what is it exactly that's disrespectful?

Enveloping, can you describe this a bit more too?

Er. Done with the questions.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again the directness theme. I again have to agree.

How do you mean it's disrespectful -where you mention this issue- or what is it exactly that's disrespectful?
    I'm not sure how to articulate this. I don't assume that what I see with someone is what I get. There are many ways I cannot fully know another person. For example, I can get only a wistful inkling of what an adult was like as a child and as an infant, even if I have photos and video of them to look at. That version of the person has been superseded by the adult version. And even in the present moment, I feel that there's more to a person than they can make fully manifest, and also that they do not owe it to me to reveal everything about themselves, and I wouldn't press for them to say or show more than they feel confident expressing.

I find it would be disrespectful to expect someone to cough up more of their inner life than they do. I'm interested in the feelings that arise from someone else's world, but I don't demand that they give me details. That can almost be a form of interpersonal violence. I just try to get a feeling for what might be there and don't dig or poke into it much.

ETA: I think part of what seems disrespectful is that putting all your wounds on display is also a way of showing all your vulnerabilities, and those can be used against a person, so why in the hell would I expect someone to trot out their weaknesses for me? Sometimes what is kept inside is in there for a reason.

Enveloping, can you describe this a bit more too?
    I guess if I care about someone, or even if I'm just in a position where I am supposed to pay them some attention, the metaphor I've given in the past is that I put a quiet bubble of awareness around the person. I attune to them and kind of shut out other information. This came up in chat once and a coupla people observed it sounded like enneagram SX instinct, but I really don't know bc I find the instincts dumb so far.

Er. Done with the questions.
    *wipes sweat from brow*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast