Thread: enneatype jxxxrtes

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default enneatype jxxxrtes

I'm open to anything. Ask me anything you need to know.

The only thing I'm 100% positively sure about is that I'm a head type. This video is totally 100% right on:

What he says that I resonate with:
    -the world/other people are things I can't control.
    -trying to predict or foresee future situations all the time.
    -hyper-awareness of others' expectations. others people's expectations are more important than mine and are non-negotiable. they have decision making power and I shouldn't have any. (I usually know ahead of time that someone wants something from me).
    -trouble saying NO! to people (I've worked on this though).
    -LOTS of uncertainty about action and competency to take action. 110% right on.

idealized self-portraits:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol the hydralisk kept me from taking this completely seriously.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crap. everyone else please take this thread seriously.

ETA: are hydralisks head types too?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you identify with hydralisks? (I'm more of a zealot)

I'd lean towards 6w7 for you.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because I like the way they look. they're the most versatile and adaptable zerg unit. they're highly intelligent.

but the unit I really identify with is the ghost. a ghost is what I would be in the starcraft universe. for all the reasons I just mentioned and because they're highly secretive as well.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I'm open to anything. Ask me anything you need to know.
    The only thing I'm 100% positively sure about is that I'm a head type. This video is totally 100% right on:

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

What he says that I resonate with:
    -the world/other people are things I can't control.
    -trying to predict or foresee future situations all the time.
    This definitely points to head triad, and nicely illustrates the disparate, deconstructive mindset so innate to those types.

-hyper-awareness of others' expectations. others people's expectations are more important than mine and are non-negotiable. they have decision making power and I shouldn't have any. (I usually know ahead of time that someone wants something from me).
    -trouble saying NO! to people (I've worked on this though).
    This points away from 7, and to a lesser degree, 5 IMO. With the former, you have a blithe independence that cannot be bound by the trivial expectations of others; they often rationalize their whimsical indifference under merrily idealistic pretenses. And with 5s, expectations are almost non-existent, a subset of what has already been implicitly renounced in their detachment; virtually all external things that threaten to impose on 5s are seen as potential obligations, and thus avoided.

So, I would say that it points to 6, specifically the compliant social style. The compliant types are very attuned to rules, expectations and guidelines; with 6s, it takes a more strategical turn, generating a sense of "duty."

-LOTS of uncertainty about action and competency to take action. 110% right on.
    Basically the same as above. I would say that this points to 6w5 > 6w7, as the withdrawn influence from the wing would result in heightened apprehensiveness; this is opposed to the spontaneously reactive quality a 7 wing creates.

idealized self-portraits:
    What I get from this, is that you have a megalomaniacal streak and some sort of identification with being a mastermind.

This one almost feels diametric to the preceding one, but I can't say much else.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    This points away from 7, and to a lesser degree, 5 IMO. With the former, you have a blithe independence that cannot be bound by the trivial expectations of others; they often rationalize their whimsical indifference under merrily idealistic pretenses. And with 5s, expectations are almost non-existent, a subset of what has already been implicitly renounced in their detachment; virtually all external things that threaten to impose on 5s are seen as potential obligations, and thus avoided.
    It's impossible that you got so much from what little I wrote. I only mentioned that I was aware of these factors, not how I react to them.

What you're saying contradicts the video. 5s definitely feel expectations from people. The guy described the experience of being a 5 as walking into a room and being submerged by expectation. But in order to avoid the expectations, they detach from the social situation.

All head types feel expectations, but obviously react to them differently.

So, I would say that it points to 6, specifically the compliant social style. The compliant types are very attuned to rules, expectations and guidelines; with 6s, it takes a more strategical turn, generating a sense of "duty."
    Hmm. Interesting. That doesn't sound like me at all. I don't care about duty or having a social role. Actually, I tend to avoid interacting with hierarchies in general and see them as artificial, something that is usually bypassable.

Also, is it possible to be a six and underperform in your duty when it gets boring? Or shirk your duties altogether on a whim?

Basically the same as above. I would say that this points to 6w5 > 6w7, as the withdrawn influence from the wing would result in heightened apprehensiveness; this is opposed to the spontaneously reactive quality a 7 wing creates.
    What does spontaneously reactive mean?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ever overreact? So much that you're taken aback by yourself?

I think the trouble saying no points to 6w7 > 6w5, but it's not very definitive. Also, 6w7s are much more open about their uncertainty and anxiety.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, on second thought, I've never really had trouble saying NO! to people where it concerns my base functions . Only where there is emotional manipulation involved. Then I usually have trouble saying no.

Quote Originally Posted by electric sheep View Post
    Do you ever overreact? So much that you're taken aback by yourself?
    Yeah sometimes. But I grew up with beta parents who overreacted all the time and I might have just picked up the habit.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's impossible that you got so much from what little I wrote. I only mentioned that I was aware of these factors, not how I react to them.

What you're saying contradicts the video. 5s definitely feel expectations from people. The guy described the experience of being a 5 as walking into a room and being submerged by expectation. But in order to avoid the expectations, they detach from the social situation.

All head types feel expectations, but obviously react to them differently.
    Well, I didn't watch the video, so I shouldn't have included it in the quote. I agree that 5s are aware of expectations, but they don't actively gratify them at all, really. Also, they don't express overt anxiety about them, as that would undermine their sense of autonomy.

Hmm. Interesting. That doesn't sound like me at all. I don't care about duty or having a social role. Actually, I tend to avoid interacting with hierarchies in general and see them as artificial, something that is usually bypassable.
    I would say this points to 5 in some form. 5s are competency types, which are naturally focused on systematic boundaries and structures; but they circumvent said things in order to independently solve problems.

Also, is it possible to be a six and underperform in your duty when it gets boring? Or shirk your duties altogether on a whim?
    Not especially. They seem to mostly fluctuate between consistent dependability and rebellious defiance of duty.

What does spontaneously reactive mean?
    Basically following escapist whims without much thought. 7s are simultaneously planning ahead and distracting themselves in order to avoid having their plans fall through.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it possible to be a 6 and still avoid interacting with people because you know they have expectations from you?

Basically following escapist whims without much thought. 7s are simultaneously planning ahead and distracting themselves in order to avoid having their plans fall through.
    That sounds more like me.

What's the name of your favorite enneagram author?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably. There are definitely other factors that can play into whether one avoids obligations or not. Even so, the manner in which one goes about it will probably be colored by their e-type.

So, how do you shirk obligations?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the name of your favorite enneagram author?
    Claudio Naranjo

Creepy-male

How the heck do you type based of off strategy game units, strategy game units have the least personality among all genres of games, and especially a zerg unit.... the whole point of the zerg is hive mentality primal stuff, like insects.... ??????

Anyways just to entertain this I've added quotes from Starcraft wiki: Hydralisk - StarCraft Wiki - StarCraft and StarCraft II units, races, features and news

Quote Originally Posted by Starcraft Wikia
    The hydralisk is a zerg evolution of the slothien. While slothiens were peaceful herbivores, the hydralisk is noted as being one of the most fierce and sadistic of the zerg strains.[2] During the initial zerg invasion of the Koprulu Sector, hydralisks commonly reached 5.5 meters in length and could draw themselves up to over 2.4 meters in height.[3] Since the Brood War hydralisks have evolved to be much larger.[4] Since hydralisks move relatively slowly over open terrain,[5] it is common for hydralisks to burrow and await their prey to enter killing range before attacking,[6] destroying their enemies in a deadly crossfire.[7] Despite their relatively sluggish nature, hydralisks can climb vertical surfaces[8] and continued evolution of the strain through muscular augmentation has resulted in faster hydralisks.[2]

They are sometimes colloquially called "hydras".[9]
    So based on this your a fierce, sadistic, ex-catapillar like peaceful herbivore?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgetting to give my family presents during holidays.
    Not bothering to call them even during the holidays. Not because I don't like them, but because I can't stand the same-old same-old conversations.

When I was 18 I worked at a retail store. For the first year I worked my ass off and became the most thorough and trustworthy worker they had, just so I can show up everybody else. All the managers liked me, to the point of shaking my hand, which they never did with anyone. But I couldn't resist secretly sneaking into the backroom and unloading freight-trucks with the guys who worked there. My work seriously started suffering as a result and the management didn't know what to think.

It was a more interesting environment because I loved the extremely hard physical work and there were zero etiquette requirements. I worked my ass off here just so I can compete with the Se egos. I'm a scrawny little motherf*cker too, I only weigh 117 pounds and I'm an ectomorph, but I forced myself to lift heavy wooden pallets. The two nicknames they gave me were "the machine" and "roids."

I didn't mind failing courses at university just so I can study different subjects on my own. Well I mean I do mind. Failing isn't fun, but I can rationalize it away, sort of.

Overall though, my life has been pretty domestic. So I wouldn't call any of that shirking responsibility on a big scale.

I'm thinking some of this is 3 like, and some of it means I don't have sp first. idk.
    Last edited by xerx; 01-10-2010 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    So based on this your a fierce, sadistic, ex-catapillar like peaceful herbivore?
    Somebody understands me.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A small correction:

Now that I think about it, I didn't work hard just to "show everyone up." That was probably secondary, but competition did help. Still, it was more like I was compulsive-obsessively obsessed with doing a good job. I just liked being a perfectionist I guess.

Creepy-male

Lol well first you probably are a 3 if thats the case, I don't know you personally so this isn't a reliable typing. But all that stuff sounds very 3, their whole basis is around shame of feeling unworthy... but its unworthy as being an unproductive worthless lazy person. Thats the 3's problem, but their solution and strengths are all about rising above that stuff.

Also don't be so hard on yourself lol, thats just people, they aren't perfect, but they all desire after some ideal.

I'd probably choose the ghost as my ideal image from starcraft...
    Elite Operative - Check
    Badass - Check
    Psyhic (sp?) Abilities / Mental Adeptness - Check
    Stealth / Lone Operative - Check

I also love the protoss, they are the very noble/enlightened race, but they have all the adjugicators and stuff that are INxj ish and very stiff and rigid. If I could choose a protoss I'd choose the dark templars.

Of course none of that is like my reality.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    Lol well first you probably are a 3 if thats the case, I don't know you personally so this isn't a reliable typing. But all that stuff sounds very 3, their whole basis is around shame of feeling unworthy... but its unworthy as being an unproductive worthless lazy person. Thats the 3's problem, but their solution and strengths are all about rising above that stuff.

Also don't be so hard on yourself lol, thats just people, they aren't perfect, but they all desire after some ideal.
    Nah I'm not a 3. I don't care about my image at all; it's always been a secondary concern; sometimes even an anti-concern where I've gone out of my way to tarnish it. My primary motivation is being obsessive-compulsive about doing a good job. Also I can go a long time without doing any productive work and not really care.

@the enneagram guru: aren't you going to analyze my enneatype?

Creepy-male

Nah I'm not a 3. I don't care about my image at all; it's always been a secondary concern; sometimes even an anti-concern where I've gone out of my way to tarnish it. My primary motivation is being obsessive-compulsive about doing a good job. Also I can go a long time without doing any productive work and not really care.

Sure I don't really like to analyze other peoples types... I am more like "heres the data, I'll help answer any question you have"... I don't like to get too involved with typing people. I dunno I find this stuff like a great language to think in to get to some deep stuff with, but I don't take it as law or truth, so I am hesitant at typing people, I suspect that all this personality stuff has an element of bullshit to it.

Anyways to start... give me some information about what motivates you in life, what inspires you, what makes you feel great, what your dreams, desires, goals, etc... it... that will help shed light on your motivations and is really a major element of the enneagram... every type has this basic motivation/fear/desire.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but there isn't any further information I find relevant. Talk about something.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7s generally aren't concerned with failure. If something doesn't work out, they can just move on to the next thing that interests them.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7s generally aren't concerned with failure. If something doesn't work out, they can just move on to the next thing that interests them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrxtes
    I didn't mind failing courses at university just so I can study different subjects on my own. Well I mean I do mind. Failing isn't fun, but I can rationalize it away, sort of.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're on to something strrrng

edit: I still wouldn't rule out 6w7 though.
    Last edited by electric sheep; 01-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.
    The saddest ESFj

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah well, it depends on how much they like what they're doing, and how much their eventual failure will impact their future freedom.

Anyway, my personally impression for jxrtes is 6w5.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good tries everyone, but 6 is definitely wrong, at least according to both oceanmoonshine and enneagraminstitute descriptions. I may still have a 6 wing though. They do seem like interesting people, and I just realized that Two-Face from Batman is the ultimate 6.

I literally combed the oceanmoonshine 6 description using my supreme NT analytical skills.

Red. Parts I completely disagree with.
    Blue. Parts I completely agree with.
    Green. Half and half.
    Black. No opinion / too vague / irrelevant.
    [[xxx]]. Commentary.

Enneatype Six

Type Description

People of enneatype Six are essentially insecure, as though life has never quite provided them with a proper footing, as though there existed nothing, either internally or externally, which could serve as a solid foundation. The type Six fixation is therefore deeply and fundamentally existential, and there exists at the core of enneatype Six a tight knot of anxiety, an essential disquietude, and a deep seated desire to find something or someone stable enough in which to place some trust. Given this essential dynamic, it is not surprising therefore to find that Sixes have core issues centering around the contrast between faith and scepticism, trust and distrust, and the legitimate exercise of authority versus the abuse and misuse of power. All Sixes share these core issues, but they respond to them in quite a wide variety of ways, making type Six the most variegated of all the enneatypes and the most difficult by far to describe with specificity.

Sixes are essentially thinking types and tend to utilize their minds in their attempt to find a solid foundation.
    Sixes are looking for something in which to believe or someone in whom they can place their trust.
    At a level which barely reaches consciousness, Sixes feel that if they can find "one sure thing," they can quiet their restlessness, and achieve some semblance of much needed "peace of mind." This desire for some solidity, combined with their general suspiciousness, gives rise to a complicated relationship to those they view as authorities. The side of the Six which is looking for something to believe in, is often very susceptible to the temptation to turn authority over to an external source, whether it be in the form of an individual or a creed. But the Six's tendency towards distrust and suspicion works against any sort of faith in authority and often even presents as anti-authoritarianism. Thus, two opposite pulls exist side by side in the personality of enneatype Six, and will assume different proportions in different individuals, frequently alternating in the same individual. [[I don't have an inner conflict centering around authority and whom to trust. I can seamlessly blend both respect and disrespect for authority, depending entirely on the context of whatever I want to achieve, or whatever is pragmatic in the here and now. I can be entirely agnostic about faith/skepticism in a subject. My beliefs are spontaneous and unpredictable, even to me, and I find that this is a more objective approach.

Also just the idea of idea of trusting an authority to handle beliefs for me is the most alien thing I've ever heard. If you can't rely on your own objectivity, how could you possibly rely on someone else's?]]

Some Sixes never find a system or an authority which satisfies their questioning nature. These tend to root themselves in more personal loyalties - loyalties to family, especially children, or to their friends or causes.Sixes, in general, tend to form strong personal bonds. One of the more appealing aspects of the type Six personality is the trueness they can show to those they love. Feeling essentially unsure themselves, they find some comfort in being true to others, in being steadfast. Sixes can show real perseverance when it comes to their personal relationships and they can give of themselves selflessly - without expectation of reward and with little need of special recognition. The loyalty of type Six is something of a two edged sword however, as Sixes are sometimes prone to stand by a friend, partner, job or cause long after it is time to move on.[[I'm quite loyal to people I like, I guess. I can easily comply with what they want if it isn't too restrictive. I don't "root" myself in others though. That sounds like Fi. <sarcasm> I only ever look out for #1 -- that's me. </sarcasm> I like deep, passionate interactions - doesn't everyone?]]

These various strategies of coping with the core issues of type Six are obviously quite different in their presentation, but they are all manifestations of the same underlying uncertainty and it is the intensity of the energy with which the Six confronts these issues which differentiates type Six from other types who, after all, also want to find something or someone in which to place their trust, something in which to believe. The issues which confront type Six, are then, in some fundamental respect, elemental concerns which confront all human beings. It is the fate of enneatype Six to be forced to address these issues most centrally. The integrity with which this is done, is determined by the extent to which the Six overcomes fear or succumbs to it.

Many Sixes are naturally prone to doubt and self-questioning. In some Sixes, this internal dynamic is projected outwards, and Sixes are notorious for adopting the position of the "devil's advocate." Many Sixes are, thus, prone to questioning and challenging the motives and beliefs of those around them. [[I am hyper-aware of the beliefs of those around me and I don't see the point in challenging them. I don't like questioning people's fundamental beliefs because then I feel like a huge dick for fucking up their innermost lives. I try to avoid hurting people. If I ever question people's sincerest beliefs it's because they're hurting others somehow or being total dicks, so I use whatever ammunition I can against them.

I couldn't always control myself in the past and have been aggressive towards people for sport, mainly because it gives you a rush.]]

Sometimes this strategy succeeds in forcing the Six's interlocutor to clarify his or her position or to seek common ground with the Six. [[I don't need clarification. I like to intuit people's belief systems.]] Other times however, it only serves to turn the Six's interlocutor into an opponent who feels justified in responding aggressively to what they understandably perceive as an attack. [[Nothing I can't handle.]] Thus a pattern which is essentially defensive from the point of view of the Six, is often perceived as an assault by those on the receiving end. Sixes who adopt this approach are frequently perplexed by the amount of animosity they arouse. They are far harder on themselves, they reason [[I can be pretty hard on myself.]], so they fail to understand why others are "over reacting." In general, Sixes tend to be very aware of the reactivity of others and considerably less so of their own. As they are being driven by their own inner uncertainty, they tend to be unaware that they are behaving in an aggressive fashion and alienating those whom they might well like to befriend. [[I always know when I'm alienating people and why. It's not hard to figure out.]]

The doubting nature of type Six can be turned to good stead when the Six uses it to discover what is wrong or missing. Sixes rightly suspect that there is more going on in any given situation than what is presented on the surface, and they want to know what lies beneath. Sixes frequently have the capacity to detect what is hidden. They ferret out the potential danger in a situation; they intuitively seek the weakness in an argument or the flaws covered by the pleasing exterior. They often have an almost "sixth" sense in this regard. [[Critical thinking 101.]] This means that Sixes are typically good trouble shooters, gifted debaters, or the stalwart players who form the defensive line. Sixes tend to feel that if they are aware of all the inherent dangers in a situation, they can arm themselves against them. Once again, this vigilance is essentially a defensive maneuver. On the down side, the tendency to look for problems can lead to unnecessary worrying, catastrophising or, in extreme cases, paranoid ideation. [[I'm pretty neurotic and I can't stop thinking.]] If this tendency to focus on what might go wrong is left unchecked, the Six will experience many needless hours of misery. [[I can be pretty hard on myself when I'm thinking about a problem, but I forget about problems easily and not think about them ever again.]] In addition, others in the Six's life might well experience the Six as being unnecessarily negative.

Sixes are attuned to power relations and to underlying power dynamics. They sense who has power, who wants it, who will use it, who will misuse it, and they are often the ones who sense an imbalance or injustice where others simply see the status quo. As they easily tend to feel like victims themselves, they often identify with the underdog and can even devote themselves to the cause of redressing what they see as injuries done to those without power. These Sixes are, perhaps, union organizers, or feminists, or perhaps even those who defend the rights of the unborn, as, like all the types, Sixes can be found on all ends of the political spectrum. It is not so much that all Sixes are politically motivated, but, as Sixes do tend to be oriented to power dynamics, they often take decisive positions when it comes to social issues or causes. [[I have a pretty good eye for power relations, but I don't ever care what happens as a result of them. I love watching abuses of power as much as I love watching justice in action. I love when a gang-banger goes on a robbing-spree and I love it when corrupt people get the book thrown at them. Both are pretty good action.]]

Sixes are quite sensitive as children and can be seriously wounded by abuses of power visited against them by their parents or teachers. As power abuse against children is almost universal, it is the rare Six who isn't forced to confront core issues head on at a very vulnerable age. Something of the unfairly punishing authority tends to stay with Sixes long after they have moved into adulthood and serves to color all of their subsequent intimate relationships, especially those in which there is a perceived imbalance of power which disfavors the Six. [[Meh. Really dumb sentiment. Authority is something transitory that anyone can play into their hands if they wanted to. I don't see the point in either fearing it or respecting it, when truth is more fundamental than any authority. Find your own god damn bliss.]]

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is typically at a quite young age then, in response to the illegitimate or insensitive exercise of authority, that Sixes adopt their fundamental strategy for dealing with their underlying anxieties and for handling imbalanced power relationships. Some Sixes adopt a basically phobic approach. Phobic Sixes are generally compliant, affiliative and cooperative. They strive to avoid undue attention and to defuse tension by appearing to be "harmless."They thereby strive to avoid triggering aggression in others. [[Alphas tend to avoid conflict and so do I, but this sounds too rigid. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, etc.]]

Other Sixes adopt the opposite strategy of dealing with anxieties and become counterphobic, essentially taking a defiant stand against whomever or whatever they find threatening. This is the Six who takes on authority or who adopts a dare devil attitude towards physical danger. Counterphobic Sixes can be aggressive, and frequently adopt a rebellious or anti-authoritarian demeanor. Such Sixes are often unaware of the fear which motivates their actions. For counterphobic Sixes, the inner tension of living with their anxiety is greater than the fear of any external threat they might be facing, so they adopt an oppositional attitude and throw themselves into action. This approach sometimes succeeds in obscuring from the counterphobic Six's line of vision the fear which is actually at the root of their behavior. Consequently, counterphobic Sixes frequently deny being anxious. Interestingly, some phobic Sixes are also unaware of their underlying anxiety, an anxiety which is often readily apparent to others. Because anxiety serves as the backdrop to all their emotional states, some Sixes are unaware of its existence, as they have nothing with which to contrast it.
    [[It's possible I'm a 6 who's denying being a 6 out of some unknown anxiety, but till I get some profound epiphany I don't relate to this.]]

There are many Sixes who adopt neither an exclusively phobic nor counterphobic approach. Such Sixes switch modes, so to speak, depending on the amount of stress they are experiencing. Most Sixes, however, have a preferred or dominant approach which colors all of their dealings with the world and which is generally readily recognizable to others. It is important to note, however, that while the phobic and counterphobic approach seem diametrically opposed, both are driven by fear or anxiety; the rule to remember in this regard is that the inner core of all Sixes is phobic, until such point as the Six achieves liberation. Counterphobia is thus a permutation on phobia. It refers to a difference in overt behavior, sometimes a very striking difference indeed, but it's root cause is nevertheless one of fear.

In the traditional enneagram, the passion of the Six is fear, the vice is that of cowardice and the corresponding virtue that of courage. As with all of the vices and virtues associated with the enneatypes, the vice and virtue of the Six must be understood as being distinct from what is commonly understood by those terms. Many Sixes are no more cowardly than individuals of other types when we consider the term according to its common usage, and, according to common usage, but not the theory behind the enneagram, many of the behaviors of counterphobic Sixes would be considered courageous.

In order to get a better grip on this, it's necessary to have a more precise grasp of key terms. Up to this point, we have been using the terms "anxiety" and "fear" more or less interchangeably, but at this juncture, it's important to refine our understanding. Fear is always of something definite, of some danger which requires our attention. Fear is the natural and often useful response which we experience in the face of some external threat. It is that which triggers our primal "fight or flight" response.

Anxiety, however, is a truly existential emotion and in order to better understand it, it is perhaps helpful to turn to the existential philosophers who made a point of studying anxiety in all its forms and all its manifestations. Kierkegaard defines anxiety as the "dizziness of freedom" and describes it as the underlying, all pervasive, universal condition of human existence. Anxiety is then, not fear of any one thing, but of the very condition of being conscious and of having to make choices in a world which does not make its meaning or goals transparent to us and which frequently enough seems inimicable to human aspirations and to human existence. It is this more fundamental emotion which most directly characterizes the core emotional state of type Six, not any of the more immediate fears, which often enough are simply place holders in the consciousness of the type Six personality. It is as though the Six feels their anxiety bubbling up to the center of consciousness and then scans the environment for something external to fear; this feared, but potentially manageable thing, can then occupy the Six's attention and avert it from that nameless horror that they sense might exist at the very heart of human existence. [[I don't relate to this very well. I guess my biggest anxieties are about being trapped without freedom to make my own choices.]]

According to A. H. Almaas, the type Six personality most directly experiences and suffers from a loss of "basic trust" in the goodness of the universe. This loss of basic trust is the very condition of fallen existence, and thus attaches to all of the fixations, but Sixes experience it at the very core of their consciousness. And it is this most basic and fundamental emotion which must be dealt with directly and defeated if the Six is to achieve true liberation. It is, like the journeys of all the enneatypes, a true "hero's journey." [[I don't relate to this very much. The universe is not fundamentally good or evil. It's more complicated than a 2-bit dichotomy.]]

Many Sixes succumb to their anxieties and fears. Some of these settle for a simulacra of true courage and attempt to find peace of mind by convincing themselves of the truth of some contrived system of belief. To this end they might surround themselves by a chorus of voices from like-minded others, while projecting their own unacknowledged shadow onto those with whom they disagree. Then there are those Sixes who choose to over identify with the role of "rebel" and adopt a defiant and oppositional stand against whatever exists, which often enough succeeds in sowing little more than negativity. [[Fuck No! I try to step back from any dogmatism, but I'm also not some constant skeptic.]]

Other Sixes however, live a life of integrity. They may harbor fears and anxieties but nevertheless manifest courage by refusing to succumb to them. From an external perspective they well may seem unexceptional, but, insofar as they refuse the easy answer and do not give way to the reactive response, they demonstrate a quiet victory over their inner demons. Such Sixes develop a kind of strength to which others instinctively turn in times of difficulty. They can be counted on to follow through and to demonstrate leadership when a real danger threatens as they have successfully conquered so many imaginary ones. Having developed some degree of self-mastery, they can master externals as well. They can be counted on. They rise to the occasion. There are also some few Sixes who achieve a true liberation. These Sixes almost invariably manifest a feeling of solidarity with their kinfolk - and they consider virtually everyone to be kin. A liberated Six has a kind of human heartedness which is truly inspirational, a subtle greatness which is thinly disguised by their modesty. [[I don't relate to any of this.]]

Sixes with the Five wing generally tend more towards introversion than do those with a Seven wing. They characteristically withdraw under stress and typically have a few trusted friends to whom they can turn in times of trouble. [[I don't have any friends.]] They are often drawn to systems of thought, whether religious, political or philosophical which help them explain their experiences and which provide them with a framework which confers on them some semblance of control and prediction. [[lol. So everyone into the enneagram is a 6w5.]] Sixes with a Seven wing tend to be somewhat more amiable and adventurous, generally more optimistic overall. They tend to look outside themselves for the means of assuaging their anxiety and thus often have a more extroverted nature than do those with a Five wing.They te nd to have multiple hobbies and interests, but they are somewhat less capable of focus than are Sixes with a Five wing, but only as a very general rule.

6s seem so modular and indecisive, whereas I feel integrated with my actions. Though I can be insecure because I do tend to think a lot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my biggest anxieties are about being trapped without freedom to make my own choices
    This should be obvious.
    The saddest ESFj

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7w6, 6w7.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sixes don't seem to understand the point of a middle ground. They're like this guy:

They're like robots or something.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about being a 7 either. I don't identify with the cheerful, ebullient extrovert descriptions at all.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more like I have a fear of trusting things because I'm afraid that it will be revealed that I misplaced my trust. So I never let myself trust anything (although I may outwardly project that I do) and I become obsessively skeptical and analytical to compensate.

Like, some people allow themselves to just "float" in their beliefs, but I rip myself apart inside to make sure that I'm not passively believing something that is wrong.

Due to all of that, I am often right in arguments, because I've already analyzed the subject to pieces way before and much more critically, than the other person.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sixes don't seem to understand the point of a middle ground. They're like this guy:

They're like robots or something.
    6s have trouble finding a middle ground--not that they don't see the point of one. It's like they have their own internal pendulum. I've heard Smeagol from LOTR was a 6w7 because he has that good-bad dynamic. 6s are not robots, they are the most human of all the types, 6w7s in particular.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    It's more like I have a fear of trusting things because I'm afraid that it will be revealed that I misplaced my trust. So I never let myself trust anything (although I may outwardly project that I do) and I become obsessively skeptical and analytical to compensate.
    It sounds like you have Ne as a base function but haven't developed it to the point where you can hoard uncertainty like a virtue. I can see how that would correlate with Ti subtype.

Like, some people allow themselves to just "float" in their beliefs, but I rip myself apart inside to make sure that I'm not passively believing something that is wrong.
    Dude that just means you're analytical. It doesn't mean you need certainty. Everyone who's smart does that.

6s have trouble finding a middle ground--not that they don't see the point of one. It's like they have their own internal pendulum. I've heard Smeagol from LOTR was a 6w7 because he has that good-bad dynamic.
    Ah! Makes more sense.

6s are not robots, they are the most human of all the types, 6w7s in particular.
    Well that depends on your perspective.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude that just means you're analytical. It doesn't mean you need certainty. Everyone who's smart does that.
    But do people do it neurotically? The point is that I don't ever get to the finished product of "Ah, that is the right answer I can trust" (Well I can, but it's hard and would be part of 9 integration).
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    But do people do it neurotically? The point is that I don't ever get to the finished product of "Ah, that is the right answer I can trust" (Well I can, but it's hard and would be part of 9 integration).
    Well I don't identify with that, so either point taken or I'm not very smart.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That discussion was useful.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol well I was describing 6 for your sake, but not to imply that it is your fixation.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course you can't identify with that because you're a 6w7--not a 6w5.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read some more descriptions and I'm typing myself 7w6. I resonate fairly well with this type's motivations: irrational fear of boredom, irrational fear of being hedged in and constrained by lack of possibilities, avoidance of painful situations instead of confronting them, constant desire for mental stimulation.

I don't readily associate with the core fixations of the 6 to find security. I do have lots of mental anxiety like Archon (probably thanks to the 6 wing), but I don't diffuse it by holding on to some fixed system like a 6 does; I take it as a sign that I'm approaching the problem in the wrong way and revise my efforts.

I can be deeply immersed in a project, system or ideological position only to completely forget about it minutes later, or when something better comes along; I've never been able to appreciate a piece of art for more than a couple of seconds. I've never had a permanent view of anything.

The only thing that doesn't work is the social aspect of being extroverted. I have absolutely unshakable optimism, but I don't like being outwardly cheerful most of the time; inwardly though, I can be incredibly cheerful. I'm not always very outgoing in a conventional sense and I don't have many friends because I don't find most people or activities very interesting. I'm an sx though, which is internally focused, so that may be why.

I also don't like to limit the range of my activities by dedicating the night to one activity (like going to party) that may turn out incredibly dull, then I'd feel trapped. Even so, when I'm in such a situation I can make the best of it. I find studying to be a shit load more mentally stimulating than any such activity, and probably the most stimulating activity there is.

What sells me most on this typing is the growth/integration/security point. Every time I disintegrate and go to 1, usually as a result of some perceived failure, I try to impose some structure on myself that inevitably fails in the end. I don't do my work because I enjoy it, I just do it mechanically -- not fun.

Integration to 5 is pretty obvious just from my interactions on this forum.

Security point at 5 is unbelievably true for me. If I'm in a cheerful mood I can suddenly break it off, get serious and try to be alone to the complete surprise of everyone around me. I value being left alone to recharge.

Overall though, I'm probably not the healthiest 7 because I'm still picking up the pieces from an episode of sexual abuse by a gorilla. And I've experienced enough psychosis and hallucinogenic states in my lifetime due to a mental condition I've had since birth.

@everyone, good tries but you lose.