Thread: Seeking attitudes

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Well, I think I'm seeking, which consist of cracking jokes frequently.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    How does the seeking functions manifest in the different types?

My own Se-seeking often manifests as a "provocative teasing".(probably making some people think I offend them)

I also have a fairly good idea of how my ESE mother is Ne-seeking, for example by proudly presenting a "super-smart" idea she has. (Mostly ideas that are completely unrelated to anything, and in other words completely useless for any practical usage.

Please enlighten me, or send links to pages explaining this.
    I don't think the suggestive function manifests itself socially, I tend to see it as a privately used function, one that you often keep quit about, a function that 'seeks' others who are using it as an ego function. What you are describing, reminds me a lot more of the mobilizing function.

I do a lot of Si myself, but typically there will not be other people around.

ETA: we are talking about the 5th function here. aren't we? Slater's post now has me confused?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering about this myself.

Oh, and nice to see you're still alive.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Excuse me, I made I mistake. I was talking about hidden agenda.

I've read people want to enjoy their 5th function, but they find they are not good enough at it, so they need someone's help. That's why we look for our duals, who are supposed to be good at that function.

At the same time, we want to have success at "being good at our 6th function", but we want to achieve it on our own.
    ILE "Searcher"

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    homoverted
    heteroverted
    ??? These are new to me...
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that your dual seeking 5th functions plays the role like its name says:

You seek people who execute that particular function, because when you see the function in action it somehow tickles your mind.

How this seeking manifests itself I don't know. I don't think you seek it like food when you are hungry, it's more like you find it when you bump into it, simply because you always have a need for it.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I think that your dual seeking 5th functions plays the role like its name says:

You seek people who execute that particular function, because when you see the function in action it somehow tickles your mind.

How this seeking manifests itself I don't know. I don't think you seek it like food when you are hungry, it's more like you find it when you bump into it, simply because you always have a need for it.
    I like that description.

Creepy-male

homo/hetero = same/different
    verted = extra/introverted.

--

--

Note how 1st and 6th are the same colour (homoverted) and the the 1st and 5th are different colours (heteroverted).

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a pair of extroverts or a pair of introverts are each homoverted. it's analogous to the intertype dichotomies (e.g. dual pairs, which the DS represents, are heterovert). you can find this terminology on Ganin's and Rick's sites (although the later uses "hetero"/"mono").
    It's clear now, thanks for the explanation. I now indeed recall reading such a thing on Rick's site.

ETA: thank you to Gulanzon as well.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my Te-seeking manifests in constantly asking people to provide me with information in a very exact and rigorously defined way.
    SOME people consider this to be OCD, but I know better.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own Se-seeking often manifests as a "provocative teasing".(probably making some people think I offend them)

I also have a fairly good idea of how my ESE mother is Ne-seeking, for example by proudly presenting a "super-smart" idea she has. (Mostly ideas that are completely unrelated to anything, and in other words completely useless for any practical usage.
    lol My ESE husband does this sometimes too. He gets REALLY proud of his "ideas". It's very cute. lol I'm less proud of the ideas and more proud when they're implemented.

I don't know how I seek Se, really. I have one SLE friend I see on a regular basis. I do tease him. He's really good with comebacks. And they're usually strong and forceful It's like I push him and he pushes back.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

You seek by surrounding yourself with strong people.
    ILE "Searcher"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinball Wizard! View Post
    I was wondering about this myself.

Oh, and nice to see you're still alive.
    IME some SLIs manifest Ne-seeking by being pessimistic and judgmental, while simultaneously expressing frustration at themselves for this quality.
    they're sort of like "uck. he is terrible" followed by "why do I have to be so negative and narrow-minded?" <locks him/herself in room to play sad songs on repeat for 3 hours>.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I REALLY like this descrition for Se-DS. My ILI friends will also bait people around them. My reaction to it always amuses them. I tend to just go "stopppppp" and they'll just laugh and comment about how unassertive I am.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fe seeking types, like meself might try to draw others in by expressing certain inner moods.

Like I might be very silly, happy, and "extraverted" or I might withdraw and become subdued and "dark". Not necessarily in a corny emo sense, but people can have deep emotions and I don't see why I can't express negative ones too.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this thread was about Dual Seeking, not HA.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um she made reference to an ESFj seeking Ne (HA)

and I consider dual seeking to concern both of your duals elements and I believe thats what the thread poster thought too.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th function: your environment scanner (where's my dual?)
    6th function: your siren (signaling: "yoohoo, my dual, here's where I am!")

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    IME some SLIs manifest Ne-seeking by being pessimistic and judgmental, while simultaneously expressing frustration at themselves for this quality.
    they're sort of like "uck. he is terrible" followed by "why do I have to be so negative and narrow-minded?" <locks him/herself in room to play sad songs on repeat for 3 hours>.
    Confirmed.

Later thought: how do you counteract this? Be boundlessly enthusiastic?

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    5th function: your environment scanner (where's my dual?)
    6th function: your siren (signaling: "yoohoo, my dual, here's where I am!")
    Unless, of course, it's been buried by years of a stressful job compounded by ignorance of Socionics.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminds me of that robot in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", although he was more ILI imho.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Unless, of course, it's been buried by years of a stressful job compounded by ignorance of Socionics.
    or by indoctrination. Upbringing and mass media puts crazy ideas into people's heads, which they believe and act upon.

Life's a bitch and then you go into therapy.

Creepy-Cyclops

Most of ISTp's negative observations are actually correct. Life sucks. The life that we typically lead in the "developed" world anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Confirmed.

Later thought: how do you counteract this? Be boundlessly enthusiastic?
    eh. not so much enthusiastic- that's more ESE- as open-minded. IEEs are good at this because they're usually like "you don't know that for sure. what about X? what about Y? there are a lot of reasons and situations why it might seem like that and not be bad."
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or more SEE, though for different reasons.
    oh, well, i think the difference is that SEEs get ILIs out of their dumpy moods by forcing them to do stuff.
    ILI consternation needs SEE activity.
    SLIs "what is" needs IEE "what could be."

The difference between ILI and SLI negativity IMO is that the former knows all the possible options and will just pick the bleakest and go out on a limb with it. so they need someone to show them that reality isn't that bad; the latter, OTOH, can't actually imagine anything other than the reality right in front of them, so they need someone to help them consider other options and room for potential.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Creepy-Cyclops

eh. not so much enthusiastic- that's more ESE- as open-minded. IEEs are good at this because they're usually like "you don't know that for sure. what about X? what about Y? there are a lot of reasons and situations why it might seem like that and not be bad."
    ENFp's like to complain about people and situations as well as ISTp's. That the ISTp doesn't judge them for it, they typically agree with it, tends to be the way with a small part of that duality.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Most of ISTp's negative observations are actually correct. Life sucks. The life that we typically lead in the "developed" world anyway.
    Yep

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very apt, up until the "sad songs" part. I prefer to either talk to myself until I get lost on some nostalgic ramble that has nothing to do with what made me feel so negative in the first place, or I might play some active, driving music like metal or techno. Sad songs are boring, predictable, whiny, and annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    Very apt, up until the "sad songs" part. I prefer to either talk to myself until I get lost on some nostalgic ramble that has nothing to do with what made me feel so negative in the first place, or I might play some active, driving music like metal or techno. Sad songs are boring, predictable, whiny, and annoying.
    ahh..... ayup.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of course, if you consider subtypes, you're bound to find say, a Ni-Gamma NT user who relates to both.
    You mean Te-Gamma NT, right?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I REALLY like this descrition for Se-DS. My ILI friends will also bait people around them. My reaction to it always amuses them. I tend to just go "stopppppp" and they'll just laugh and comment about how unassertive I am.
    The ILIs I know are like that, too - they crack me up.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    Sad songs are boring, predictable, whiny, and annoying.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and though it's possible the Mirror differences read overplayed, i think looking hard enough will differentiate the shades of gray.
    Are you talking about the visual content of your avatar?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    ENFp's like to complain about people and situations as well as ISTp's. That the ISTp doesn't judge them for it, they typically agree with it, tends to be the way with a small part of that duality.
    yes! I bitch almost constantly when under stress. and it's amusing when ISTps bitch also, since I don't think they do it that often, but feel comfortable doing so w/ ENFps.

Other types can start to think I'm mean, or take what I'm saying too seriously, but I'm just venting...so I like that about ISTps.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is Ti Dual Seeking different than Te Dual Seeking?
    I

I think mostly my Se-DS is displayed by me taking very passive role, and trying to get other people to do things I should just do myself. This isn't so much of conscious plan, more of a subconcious attitude problem I guess. And I don't directly ask for it, it's probably more evident from my general body language and how I present the issue, and from the lack of taking any action. Usually LSIs are the most eager to help me, I guess they see me kinda helpless in that respect. Often SE-egos just try to encourage me to do it myself, or sort of teach how to become more active, but I find them actually doing it preferable

The difference between ILI and SLI negativity IMO is that the former knows all the possible options and will just pick the bleakest and go out on a limb with it. so they need someone to show them that reality isn't that bad; the latter, OTOH, can't actually imagine anything other than the reality right in front of them, so they need someone to help them consider other options and room for potential.
    Exactly.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Exactly.
    I am not narrow-minded. I see potential and possibilities, thankyouverymuch. :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I am not narrow-minded. I see potential and possibilities, thankyouverymuch. :tongue:
    Actually, I was talking only about the intp part I don't know what goes through the istp-mind that makes them negative.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne+Ti makes me a random nerd/

duhhhhh
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn! I want to get this!

Hmm... I might get it, actually. If I look at my own life, the only people who's DS irritates me, are the ones I'm in REALLY intimate relations with. Like my ILE husband. His Si-seeking irritates and drains me (since I try to give him Si). My Se-seeking tends to "scare" him, and he doesn't like it at all. Not if I try to push him into action, nor when I try to make him push me. He says he feels he's constantly challenged to battle me, and finds it very tiresome. I don't get it, cause I don't challenge him consciously. I just want to feel alive. Not sure how this works, actually.

I am a bit confused when it comes to the IEIs I know. Some of them are very mellow and withdrawn (E4w5s), almost invisible and submissive. Avoiding conflicts. Some are a lot more "in your face" (E4w3s), and seemingly use Se a lot. I think strrrng is a good example of the latter. However, IEIs are seldom "soft and sweet" like people sometimes think in here. They have an edge. I think that edge is the Se-seeking showing. Thoughts?

My HA does not irritate people, I think. Even my ILE husband say I'm as good as him at Ti. Of course I'm not, I work hard and concentrate loads to use it, and it's only when I really understand things that I can recall them later. It just disappears otherwise.... but I think I'm doing ok... How would Ti HA irritate people? (curious)

My DS is much less powerful than my HA, unfortunately, and is much more a source of irritation both for me and people around me.

Sorry for going personal, I just really want to get a feel for this.

I can see that.
    For some reason I've met a slew of IEIs lately and I've been surprised at how much they vary, and I think it must be a subtype thing. They can seem so different depending on sub-type, to the point they almost seem like a different type. Fe subs can seem really gushy to me (not in a bad way, but I prefer more stoic people, in dating anyway, probably because of my duals).

Ni subtypes can seem like ISTps to me. I Know they aren't, but they seem that way at first. They have that warmth right below the surface in a similar way as ISTps and can do that cool detached thing which draws in the ENFps.

Also, Fe subtype guys can also appear like ENFps or ENTps when in social situations. Sometimes, they can seem too eager to please w/ so much Fe that it makes me uncomfortable.

And would the Se-seeking you're talking about also happen w/ teasing? I dated an IEI Ni (I think) who would for instance, complain about something. Then complain a few minutes later. Then mope. Then be grumpy. (and it would be something that really wasn't fair, like saying I was "late" when we didn't have plans and I'd said I could swing by in an hour and I arrived in an hour and 30 minutes). Until I'd finally say something like "look, you should be happy I even came over at all." Then the IEI would agree. And that would be that. But I would be confused as to why 1) I said something that blunt, and 2) why the IEI didn't get mad at me for being so blunt.

Another instance...INFp guy says he likes a certain hairstyle. I don't have that hairstyle naturally. He says several times how much he likes this hairstyle. I say I will never wear my hair that way (for various reasons). He says he likes that hairstyle. I say "this bar is full of girls with that hairstyle. date them if you want that." A few mins later he repeats that he likes that hairstyle. I say "one reason I broke up w/ my last bf was, he said things like you're saying right now." and then he apologized. And yet, didn't seem offended. So strange...
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)