View Poll Results: In a debate, my main objective is...

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... to win at all costs [I’m a Gamma]

0 0%
  • ... to arrive at a high truth [I’m a Gamma]

9 60.00%
  • ... to learn something from my challenger [I’m a Gamma]

0 0%
  • ... something else [please explain]. [I’m a Gamma]

6 40.00%

Thread: Gammas: What is your goal in a debate?

Creepy-

Default Gammas: What is your goal in a debate?

Please, only Gammas respond to this poll [there is a similar poll in each quadra’s section]

In a debate, my main objective is...
    ... to win at all costs [I’m a Gamma]
    ... to arrive at a high truth [I’m a Gamma]
    ... to learn something from my challenger [I’m a Gamma]
    ... something else [please explain]. [I’m a Gamma]

ETA: The word "debate" [and "argument," for that matter] is not intended to connote a fight. For the purpose of this discussion, I intended "debate" to mean a discussion in which disagreement is expressed.
    Last edited by female; 01-26-2009 at 02:43 PM.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point of an arguement is to get the facts straight.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say... to make sure that everyone gets heard and everyone articulates their point of view and that the facts are all straight. What can you really do from there, anyway? Ninety-nine percent of the time people's minds will never be changed, so why bother?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted "to arrive at the high truth", but I believe more in "to arrive at the best possible approximation of reality".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Expose the errors in the others persons understanding. I rarely state what I actually think, what I say is more of testing the validity what the other person is saying. I think it's rare to find truth via a debate.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warlord, you are alpha. I'm sorry.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote: to arrive at a high truth.

BTW I know an ENTJ who would have answered: To win.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Keep it real.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

In any dispute Balzac holds demonstrative neutrality, trying no one not “to accompany”. Its relation to any act it expresses not as particular personal opinion, but seemingly advances certain, as it seems, objective and correct evaluation.

The information, which contradicts the prevailing systems or destroys them, it accepts very critically.

Contradictions and actual errors in positions and opinions are revealed well.

If I ever need a opinion about my type from someone clueless about socionics, you will be the first to ask. Learn to tell the difference between demonstrative Ti and Ti-ego.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    In any dispute Balzac holds demonstrative neutrality, trying no one not “to accompany”. Its relation to any act it expresses not as particular personal opinion, but seemingly advances certain, as it seems, objective and correct evaluation.

The information, which contradicts the prevailing systems or destroys them, it accepts very critically.

If I ever need a opinion about my type from someone clueless about socionics, you will be the first to ask. Learn to tell the difference between demonstrative Ti and Ti-ego.
    I've yet to see a great demonstration of your profound knowledge of socionics, and unfortunately, a paragraph or two from a poorly translated Russian type profile is not enough to convince me that you are not INTj.

And, since you brought it up, why don't you tell me, in your own words, the difference between Ti ego and Ti demonstrative?
    John Muir

I've yet to see a great demonstration of your profound knowledge of socionics, and unfortunately, a paragraph or two from a poorly translated Russian type profile is not enough to convince me that you are not INTj.
    You don't see the obvious correlation? And even more so, you don't even know that from before?! Why are you even trying to type me or INTp's in general then. I'm not interested in your opinion.

My point was simple. If you think that the content of my earlier message was somehow "alpha" or "not-INTp". You obviously don't have the faintest idea about either.

And, since you brought it up, why don't you tell me, in your own words, the difference between Ti ego and Ti demonstrative?
    How long explanation do you want? Why should I bother, what is it in for me? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't "convince" you, no matter what I said anyway.

INTp

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, this must be an INTj tactic. I've seen hugo, phaedrus, UDP and now you do it. Sorry, but pasting words from your prescriptive manual isn't an argument; this is reality, not your Ti matrix.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    lol, this must be an INTj tactic. I've seen hugo, phaedrus, UDP and now you do it. Sorry, but pasting words from your prescriptive manual isn't an argument; this is reality, not your Ti matrix.
    O RLY?

I've seen plenty of people of different types using that "tactic". You and your crazy typings. You're there with Dee Has Calenwen been listening to you? No wonder she's so out of it. That's just sad.

INTp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warlord is right. Finding flaws in another person's reasoning is the strongest suit of the dialectical-algorithmic thinking style (proper of ISFP-ENFJ-INTP-ESTJ). Of course, it's also their biggest flaw, since they're unlikely to suceed in new edeavors due to their negativism. Regardless, it's perfectly compatible with an ILI typing.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Cyclops

Here we see an example of Gamma's in a debate

Ehh, Calenwen, I would be interested to hear why you think Warlord isn't an ILI.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Warlord is right. Finding flaws in another person's reasoning is the strongest suit of the dialectical-algorithmic thinking style (proper of ISFP-ENFJ-INTP-ESTJ). Of course, it's also their biggest flaw, since they're unlikely to suceed in new edeavors due to their negativism. Regardless, it's perfectly compatible with an ILI typing.
    Interesting observation. High marks in all categories

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O RLY?

I've seen plenty of people of different types using that "tactic". You and your crazy typings. You're there with Dee Has Calenwen been listening to you? No wonder she's so out of it. That's just sad.
    Nah. I've seen a lot of alpha NTs promote theoretical material onto people, without providing any real subjective analysis quite often; I think they believe it speaks for itself or something.

And no, she hasn't been "listening to me," although we have agreed on your type, given how blatantly obvious it is. Look no further than the fact that you practically light up at the slightest sign of Fe on stickam.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Look no further than the fact that you practically light up at the slightest sign of Fe on stickam.
    Umm no, I doubt many would even agree with that observation. I'm pretty much oblivious and don't pay attention when there's Fe-atmosphere, and start surfing on the web. If I light up, it's because someone is trying to establish a personal connection with me. I've been probably talking in private then.

But that hasn't have anything to do with this thread.

INTp

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warlord, I'm sorry. I suppose I wouldn't want my type questioned in this manner, so it's thoughtless to do so with yours. I will PM you in the near future when I am not about to go to bed, because I am curious how you decided on ILI.

Oh, and I should add that what I said about you being alpha has nothing to do with anything that you said in this thread. I've thought it for a while and for some reason brought it up here. Meh.
    John Muir

Warlord, I'm sorry. I suppose I wouldn't want my type questioned in this manner, so it's thoughtless to do so with yours. I will PM you in the near future when I am not about to go to bed, because I am curious how you decided on ILI.
    Well, I appriciate the effort to patch things up. Maybe we'll have better relation in the future.

INTp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to pick 2. The truth one mostly. And sometimes the learning about your challenger one.

The goal is definitely to get to the truth though.....I answered the question before even clicking on the thread

oh and....
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlord

rawr!!!!
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Gamma debate "other" ILI

What is my goal in a debate?

To prove that my side of the debate is true [truth]; to show the other side's errors, to make them see how right my position is -- though usually they are just too "something" to see the truth.

It might be something I hold dear in my mind, or just something that I'm debating about and have no personal convictions for, but I see the end of what side looks best to debate and choose that to debate.

It's about making corrections to their flaws, and also my own if I find something [rare .] To draw from my vast knowledge and connect things on the fly to support my side of the debate. It's about Truth, no doubt, but what truth? High Truth? not exactly. Moreso it's about correcting flaws and piecing information together to test it's strength when it's webbed together to see if it holds together as something whole (invisibly done.)
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yuck
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    ...This is a really annoying attitude. Argue because you have something to argue for, not just for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng
    yuck

Oh please. You both are too serious.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)

Perpetual change"

TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I should take you as a joke from now on? Okay.
    No. Not at all.

You might never know when I'm joking or when I'm serious.

The thing here is, you seem to be taking offense at the fact that I stated I could debate just for the sake of debating something.

It surely doesn't mean I never hold a stake on anything I debate. It's simply that I don't HAVE to hold to something to debate about it.

If it's not your thing, that's just the way it is. You don't do it, I don't fault you for that.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)

Perpetual change"

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warlords repulsive avatar, and his generally unjustified self-importance makes me wish he wasn't ILI.. and make me want to believe he is LII.. unfortunately, he is ILI. He is ILI-Te. Kinda like a male, socially stunted version of implied.. if you can imagine it.

This is a really annoying attitude. Argue because you have something to argue for, not just for the sake of it.
    And have something to argue for which is meaningful, and which you don't value just for the sake of it.