Thread: Types that like to explain things

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types that like to explain things

I figure it might have to do with something beyond model a, that I haven't read about (thinking types, dichotomies, or something)

Like to explain:
    ENTj
    ESFj
    ENFp
    INFp
    INTp
    ENFj
    ISFp (?)
    ESTp (?)

Don't like to explain:
    ISFj
    ESFp
    ENTp
    ESTj (?)

Don't care and will do it:
    INFj
    ISTp
    ISTj
    INTj

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By explain you mean tell others the process by which they came to the idea, or to simply tell others their idea?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate explaining myself or my ideas to others. I don't mind explaining random things, though, like stuff from school.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    By explain you mean tell others the process by which they came to the idea, or to simply tell others their idea?
    i mean like to explain things, like how to do things, or explain a theory from school, mostly, or like, explain a theory that's their own too.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love explaining stuff. Makes me feel smart

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I love explaining stuff. Makes me feel smart
    Seems like some ENTps really hate talking about their own ideas though or are competitive with ideas in class/work, or they have to be in the mood to teach.. i think they are quite possessive of ideas. Are you ExTp now?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is like Reinin dichotomies but more subjective. It makes Reinin look good.

Everybody knows a couple of people who are this way or that....e.g., who like to or don't like to explain something. ENTps who hate talking about their own ideas? Sounds pretty far from any Socionics description of an ILE I've ever seen. But everybody's different.

It might be more useful to think of people's individual reasons not want to explain something...and I think what's being explained and what's meant by explaining has a lot to do with it.

Dynamic types may be more comfortable with explaining sequential steps; static types may not want to "step things out" because they see it as an interconnected system. Some types may be less comfortable speaking in front of a group, etc. Just making a blanket generalization like "likes to explain" merely muddies the waters in my opinion.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own. That's why you'll rarely see me in the kinds of threads that dee, hitta and machintruc come up with. The wildly abstract theory, full of +/-, and with threads like "internal movable fields of systematics in conjunction with organisation of the omega block z as outlined by Ograv Lyshovenkioveic", simply does not interest me. I much prefer threads like "how do you tell x and y apart?", "temperament and club theory", and "what does it mean to value z?". Those that are far more relatable to real life, and which are actually interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like studying theory, otherwise I wouldn't be here - no one who didn't like theory would be here - but material that is over-complex to the point of tedium just annoys me. I see it as spam, churned out by people who think they know what they're talking about, but only succeed in pissing everyone off.

FTR, I think Fe creatives tend towards either not caring or refusing to explain. I don't think they have the same depth to their arguments, explanations and descriptions as, for example, Alpha NTs do.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own. That's why you'll rarely see me in the kinds of threads that dee, hitta and machintruc come up with. The wildly abstract theory, full of +/-, and with threads like "internal movable fields of systematics in conjunction with organisation of the omega block z as outlined by Ograv Lyshovenkioveic", simply does not interest me. I much prefer threads like "how do you tell x and y apart?", "temperament and club theory", and "what does it mean to value z?". Those that are far more relatable to real life, and which are actually interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like studying theory, otherwise I wouldn't be here - no one who didn't like theory would be here - but material that is over-complex to the point of tedium just annoys me. I see it as spam, churned out by people who think they know what they're talking about, but only succeed in pissing everyone off.

FTR, I think Fe creatives tend towards either not caring or refusing to explain. I don't think they have the same depth to their arguments, explanations and descriptions as, for example, Alpha NTs do.
    Agreed absolutely.

Alpha NTs I find go crazy whack with their ideas, even coming up with new terminology ... explaining the HECK out of every last little bit... Granted, I kinda like this and love listening to it, but not the crackpot kind.

I've always associated explanation with in general though. Maybe the way you like explaining things Ezra, is related to more real life, direct matters (but it's still explaining in it itself) while Alpha NTs utilize their in that abstract way you so dislike at times.

LIIs especially fascinate me and I can listen to their ideas b/c they are so damn clear.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Explaining things to others is one way to learn...

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This is like Reinin dichotomies but more subjective. It makes Reinin look good.

Everybody knows a couple of people who are this way or that....e.g., who like to or don't like to explain something. ENTps who hate talking about their own ideas? Sounds pretty far from any Socionics description of an ILE I've ever seen. But everybody's different.

It might be more useful to think of people's individual reasons not want to explain something...and I think what's being explained and what's meant by explaining has a lot to do with it.

Dynamic types may be more comfortable with explaining sequential steps; static types may not want to "step things out" because they see it as an interconnected system. Some types may be less comfortable speaking in front of a group, etc. Just making a blanket generalization like "likes to explain" merely muddies the waters in my opinion.
    but i later defined what I meant by explaining.. which would be more like spelling out procedures/sequential steps/theories that are not your own. Why don't we use that definition throughout the thread. I suspect this would also narrow some choices down because we are not now including differences in subject matter.

I also don't think that speaking in front of a group would matter. I am talking about a tendency in all and every case, assuming there is at least one person present since you need someone to explain to.

also I take back the comment about the ILE because it's not consistent enough to make as strong a statement as that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Explaining things to others is one way to learn...
    a great way to learn I think

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice that those who like to explain things tend to have Te/Ti in their ego block, with the Ti types been more systematic in their explanations (eg. "firstly....., secondly......, thirdly...., etc.) and they are able to show the connections between their points very well. Te types are more detail-oriented and they sometimes give too much information since they prefer to assume that the other party didn't have much knowledge about the topic of interest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it can be tiring.
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you joking? isn't explaining like 90% of what you do here? it seems like whenever i talk to you it's, "i've changed my mind, i'm not SJ in MBTT. SJs do bla bla and xyz and i don't do this thus i can't be SJ." or something similar to this. every time you change your mind on your type you give a pretty long argument as to why it is. at any rate, you do a lot of explaining even if you don't realize it. maybe this is more commonly known as "arguing."

when i met hkkmr (ENTp,) i noticed that he seems to like to explain a lot of stuff as well.

i don't care to explain things unless i'm somehow interested in what i'm explaining. if i'm interested, i can go on about it all day long to anyone who cares to listen. otherwise, echoing reyn, "it can be tiring."
    Last edited by implied; 02-06-2008 at 04:42 AM.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends what needs explaining. I tend towards not doing so, actually. I'm more the kind of person who categorises and systematises, pointing out others' fallacies and correcting my own.
    I would agree with that. That's one thing that puzzles me a bit about you. And supports doubt for ExTj. Or just Exxj. Or even ExTx.

You don't say or explain nearly enough to satisfy me.
    Last edited by Minde; 02-06-2008 at 04:58 AM.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to explain, and am fairly good at straightening out the important points quickly, with as few words as possible.
    I have no patience though... if someone doesn't get it quickly I give up.
    LSI

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    are you joking? isn't explaining like 90% of what you do here? it seems like whenever i talk to you it's, "i've changed my mind, i'm not SJ in MBTT. SJs do bla bla and xyz and i don't do this thus i can't be SJ." or something similar to this. every time you change your mind on your type you give a pretty long argument as to why it is. at any rate, you do a lot of explaining even if you don't realize it. maybe this is more commonly known as "arguing."

when i met hkkmr (ENTp,) i noticed that he seems to like to explain a lot of stuff as well.

i don't care to explain things unless i'm somehow interested in what i'm explaining. if i'm interested, i can go on about it all day long to anyone who cares to listen. otherwise, echoing reyn, "it can be tiring."
    I was tending towards this, Maria:

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I would agree with that. That's one thing that puzzles me a bit about you. And supports doubt for ExTj. Or just Exxj. Or even ExTx.

You don't say or explain nearly enough to satisfy me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was tending towards this, Maria:
    yes, that might actually be the case. in any case you back up your arguments a lot.

i guess another person who explains quite well (on this board, and imo) is imfd95.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get too impatient when someone's not getting it.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't go around explaining random things, however if there's a need to do so, I will and have no problem with it. I don't like explaining when the other party questions what I am explaining. That is really rude imho.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    ISTp
    I really enjoy explaining things, but it has to be something of my interest (which I will know inside and out) and I need a willing audience. If you don't want the explanation, or I sense that you're just humouring me, I won't say anything.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I really enjoy explaining things, but it has to be something of my interest (which I will know inside and out) and I need a willing audience. If you don't want the explanation, or I sense that you're just humouring me, I won't say anything.
    bam. exactly.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei