Thread: Type this delightful mother/daughter convo:

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type this delightful mother/daughter convo:

Last edited by Rubicon; 11-27-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: hmm ...
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the daughter sounds like you.

this is a very similar conversation that my sister and i have had, many times. we are more respectful with each other in it though. we're both a bit more open to each other's viewpoint even when we dont agree. but, the essence of this conversation is so close to what we've said to each other.

i believe you've said your mom was istj in the past.

my sis is probably delta, enfp or infj, with isfp next and i'm pretty darn sure i'm beta at this point. and you've likened me to your mom before as well.

that's as specific as i can get.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    I'm not sure of her type anymore. I think Se-valuing, but probably not Se ego.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I'm not sure of her type anymore. I think Se-valuing, but probably not Se ego.
    ok, so, you're trying to figure it out... that's the most i can give you though. hope you get more responses then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the daughter sounds like you.

this is a very similar conversation that my sister and i have had, many times. we are more respectful with each other in it though. we're both a bit more open to each other's viewpoint even when we dont agree. but, the essence of this conversation is so close to what we've said to each other.

my sis is probably delta, enfp or infj, with isfp next and i'm pretty darn sure i'm beta at this point. and you've likened me to your mom before as well.

that's as specific as i can get.
    Does your sister speak similarly to the mother or the daughter?

I immediately thought EIE when I finished reading for the mother.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    Does your sister speak similarly to the mother or the daughter?

I immediately thought EIE when I finished reading for the mother.
    daughter=my sister
    mother=me

some of the "rude" comments like "You just have to speak with authority, and they believe pretty much everything you tell them." and "You're incredibly naive. If you want to live your life just being blown to and fro by the wind - living in some happy fairy-land - you're on the right track. You're going to die an old lady having achieved nothing." and "Well, you need to change the way you learn. Let other stupid people make the mistakes, so you don't have to."

are all things i THINK but would NOT say to my sister that harshly. i know and love and respect her too much as an individual who does not like that kind of harshness thrown at her to speak that way to her.

with all that being said, the mother's type is definitely mine. sis and i have shared some of these exact sentiments back and forth. we actually cherish these conversations because we love each other deeply enough to respect the other's way of seeing things whether we agree or not.

i learned to let go of my expectations of others that way long ago and to realize that just because I HAVE a purpose to fulfill that is along the lines of what the mother is saying, not everyone else has the same purpose and i better respect that in order for others to respect MINE.

so, if some EIEs do not realize that and accomodate accordingly in their purpose of what they're doing and being, i can see why so many others would see them as manipulative bitches. helllllooo!! my own mom is either EIE or SLE, most likely EIE now and i observed her be that way. i learned how to be a healthier version. and you bet she respects and admires me now.

well, jem, i hope that helps you. i have personally always thought you were IEE. you and my sis are a lot alike.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking Ej for the mom and Ip for the daughter.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like me and my dad talking. When my dad is in a bad mood. He can be awful, but then he can be a real sweetie too. Anyway, I'm IEE and he's EIE, though that doesn't mean the people in the convo are those two types. I'd say it's a disagreement about the value of Se though so one dislikes Se and one greatly values it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    It sounds like me and my dad talking. When my dad is in a bad mood. He can be awful, but then he can be a real sweetie too. Anyway, I'm IEE and he's EIE, though that doesn't mean the people in the convo are those two types. I'd say it's a disagreement about the value of Se though so one dislikes Se and one greatly values it.
    something i was thinking of...

everyone is saying EIE for the mom or at least EJ and sounds like Se valuing. would the fact that i find some of her ways of saying things to be very rude and condescending, especially for the relationship with her daughter be any indicator that i do not value Fe in the way the mom does? i do value Se, but if i care more about my relationship with my sister than being rude to her, would or could i be Fi and Se valuing?

i was just at the grocery store and saw two women who i could tell would have been the mom in this conversation, definite EIEs. that is not me. i am much more of a tomboy, jock type. we were out playing football at the park earlier and i usually am wearing my sports/workout wear.

my own mom sounds more like the mom here in this conversation.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something i was thinking of...

everyone is saying EIE for the mom or at least EJ and sounds like Se valuing. would the fact that i find some of her ways of saying things to be very rude and condescending, especially for the relationship with her daughter be any indicator that i do not value Fe in the way the mom does? i do value Se, but if i care more about my relationship with my sister than being rude to her, would or could i be Fi and Se valuing?

i was just at the grocery store and saw two women who i could tell would have been the mom in this conversation, definite EIEs. that is not me. i am much more of a tomboy, jock type. we were out playing football at the park earlier and i usually am wearing my sports/workout wear.

my own mom sounds more like the mom here in this conversation.
    It could mean you value Fi AND Se too.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES! that is what i was thinking. thanks SM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad loves me and values our relationship, but I think he would say that his responsibility as my dad is to give me information I need to help me more than to keep things smooth between us.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad loves me and values our relationship, but I think he would say that his responsibility as my dad is to give me information I need to help me more than to keep things smooth between us.
    i would and have given my sister the same "information" but the manner is not as rude and condescending as what this mom is saying here. my mom is the one who doesnt value keeping things smooth, as you say. to the point of the two of them not talking anymore. i value my relationship with my sis so much that i believe in being there for her, no matter what. even if i dont agree with her choices.....they are still her choices, not mine to dictate to her to do.

you know SM i've mentioned unschooling. to me, it relates back to it. i came here with a purpose but if i shove MY purpose on others, i am doing them a disservice to live their own purpose, whatever that may be.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My personal thoughts/beliefs on the matter fall pretty close in line with your mothers, btw.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mother=me
    I wouldn't have thought that, you don't really appear that way. But I really suck at things like judging someone's character, so I'm not surprised.

well, jem, i hope that helps you. i have personally always thought you were IEE. you and my sis are a lot alike.
    Yeah Jem, you even VI like an IEE.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE has always been a possibility for her type, as far as I am concerned. The main problem with EIE has been the amount of value she seems to put on Fi and the (unaccepting) attitude other EIEs here have towards her.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like the mother is def. Beta and the daughter maybe Alpha>Delta?

I found that really enjoyable to read, yet strange. That is more like the logic that works through my head fighting with itself than any conversation I have ever experienced, although both my parents are Gamma, so there you go (ILI Dad and ESI Mum).

It's funny, because although I agree more with the mother's sentiments in this argument, I am more likely to take something along the lines of the experimental approach taken by the daughetr in order to gain control. I find the most effective way to control a situation and gain the respect of your peers lies within subtle social manipulation (only ever for good, I'm not a vengeful person).

It's amazing what you can achieve with patience, good observation and the subtleties of wording and body language.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    It's amazing what you can achieve with patience, good observation and the subtleties of wording and body language.
    +1
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah ... I think that's probably significant ... because she often says things that I can see are true on some level, but just seem really unnecessary and harsh ... and make me want to point out another perspective regardless of whether I agree or not.
    Yeah - same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Yeah Jem, you even VI like an IEE.
    pfft - what do you know about VI? :-p

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Yeah ... I think that's probably significant ... because she often says things that I can see are true on some level, but just seem really unnecessary and harsh ... and make me want to point out another perspective regardless of whether I agree or not.
    HA I feel the same way about my mom. I *often* (well, used to, I don't really do this anymore) point out other perspectives whether or not I agree. Come to think of this, I do this with my husband too on occasion. I wonder if it's an irrational vs. rational thing.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't have thought that, you don't really appear that way. But I really suck at things like judging someone's character, so I'm not surprised.
    i dont appear that way because i am not mean like that about it..........

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE has always been a possibility for her type, as far as I am concerned. The main problem with EIE has been the amount of value she seems to put on Fi and the (unaccepting) attitude other EIEs here have towards her.
    +1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    HA I feel the same way about my mom. I *often* (well, used to, I don't really do this anymore) point out other perspectives whether or not I agree. Come to think of this, I do this with my husband too on occasion. I wonder if it's an irrational vs. rational thing.
    but if someone talked to me that way, i'd react the same as you and jem. LOL!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jem, thanks for posting this conversation. It's great. ...I vote for daughter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Jem, thanks for posting this conversation. It's great. ...I vote for daughter.
    vote? it was not a competition. that feels gross to me.

im very competitive, with physical things, but not in relationships.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in that kind of conversation (if I were in the daughter's place) my end would be full of . It would not go well.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daughter is a 9, mother is a cp6

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mom just sounds neurotic. I think someone from any quadra could adopt that sort of "survival of the fittest" mentality. Perhaps the focus is on Se, but that doesn't mean Se is valued. The focus on accomplishment could be related to Se or rationality, but it doesn't have to be.

This is just someone who feels she's been bullied and fears that if she is not tough like she's described, she'll be taken advantage of. She doesn't think of people very highly, herself being no exception. That's why she's decided to measure worth by accomplishment. Her daughter frustrates her because she upsets her world view.

It's amazing that her daughter is so kind and wise, having been raised by such an unhealthy person.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    It's funny, because although I agree more with the mother's sentiments in this argument, I am more likely to take something along the lines of the experimental approach taken by the daughetr in order to gain control. I find the most effective way to control a situation and gain the respect of your peers lies within subtle social manipulation (only ever for good, I'm not a vengeful person).
    You'd lie about not needing to control others in order to gain control?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    You'd lie about not needing to control others in order to gain control?
    Actually...yeah, pretty much.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing that her daughter is so kind and wise, having been raised by such an unhealthy person.
    I'm always amazed at how kids are their own person. not to say that parents don't influence, certainly they do but it always boggles my mind how much they're also just really themselves.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vote? it was not a competition. that feels gross to me.
    Of course it was not a competition but I agree more with daughter than with mother. Therefore I vote for her.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tuturututu View Post
    Of course it was not a competition but I agree more with daughter than with mother. Therefore I vote for her.
    I'm afraid that phrase has a different meaning in English.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mom just sounds neurotic.
    That's it. Toward some people you just have to adopt that kind of attitude. But if that is your general attitude toward people it means that your faith in humanity is on very low level.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid that phrase has a different meaning in English.
    Gotcha.