Thread: Using meditation to change type.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Using meditation to change type.

I just came up with an idea that I might try out this week when I have the time. I want to see if I can use meditation to change type. It is a dangerous experiment, you will have to rescue me if it drives me to madness.

Here is what I am thinking - or why I think it can work. You see, the Reinin traits, they are detailed and carefully isolated aspects of our most subtle preferences. I can use the outline of these Reinin traits to actually manipulate my most subtle preferences because they are so precisely isolated.

I am an emotivist. I am going to meditation on being a construct creating type. This dichotomy might be one I can touch with meditation. I think the details are there for a mantra.

The construct creator (aka constructivist) anchors emotionally outside of the conversation with others. The emotivist anchors inside the conversation. A mantra can alter this! The construct creator is creating a construct in the conversation, their words and affect are used like a funnel to lead the other person to a business like mood. A mantra can alter this too! (Or at least I hope so) The emotivists considers a conversation wasted if the emotions are negative. The constructivist considers a conversation wasted if the "construct" (the business at hand) is negative. YES, I believe a mantra can alter this preference!

I am a mad genius.

What I think might happen is the following:

Option one: I just act weird. It works but I am unskilled in the other preference. So I act weird, like I am some sort of Wiccan priest who just earned an online certificate in witchcraft. I'll dress in black and speak to people in a ghostly, husky voice...

Option two: I act rational and deliberative in my speech. I already do this. So it does not work, I remain an emotivist, but I somehow keyed into my rational trait and I increase its workload. I speak rationally, formally, professionally, but I am still an emotivist when everything comes down to it.

Option 3, no change.

Also, if I change one trait, I might have to alter 7 more to fit an official type!

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Here is what will happen:

Nothing.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

are you going to actually do this?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post

Also, if I change one trait, I might have to alter 7 more to fit an official type!
    Hahahaha
    How do you expect us to rescue you?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eeehh.. Mayushii doesn't really understand, but it sound fun.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah but are you motivated to do this because you have low self-esteem based on who you are because your image wasn't something that other people wanted to validate? That always leads to low self-esteem.

(sorry I know that is really dark and emo and stereotypically IEI but I just have to make sure...) If your underlying intentions for doing this aren't noble I think it will just backfire in unexpected ways. But as a curious, non-emotional scientist I support your endeavors.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd have to change the physical structure of your brain before you could change your type, and I don't think you can change the physical structure of anything just by thinking about it.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Go for it! I've got cases of subtypes switching, and I've got one instance in which, if a lifetime could be extended by a hundred years, I'd be damned sure an all out type change would occur, and one that switches quadras and temperaments. These three-letter arrangements of "types" are just a best-fit thing as far as I'm concerned anyways, so break down the walls and to hell with anything that tries to stop you.
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Banned
    TIM
    LII (INTj)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Johannes Bloem

forget it - you read his text with and which is simply not the same language

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero11 View Post
    @Johannes Bloem

forget it - you read his text with and which is simply not the same language
    Well said, sir I especially like the bit about language.

Quote Originally Posted by Esaman View Post
    Eeehh.. Mayushii doesn't really understand, but it sound fun.
    It's the choice of Steins;Gate...El Psy Congroo

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything is so fast these days... technology, constant stimulation coming at me, thoughts racing in my head. I've meditated a few times to try to ... get back to reality.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Bloem View Post
    You'd have to change the physical structure of your brain before you could change your type, and I don't think you can change the physical structure of anything just by thinking about it.
    For real though, this is why any theory of "changing types" is straight up horseshit.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Bloem View Post
    For real though, this is why any theory of "changing types" is straight up horseshit.
    To interrupt your descend in to madness in the form of publicly speaking to yourself, let me say that while I agree on it being practically impossible to change one's type, your statement that thinking does not change physical structure of your brain is wrong because neural plasticity is an integral part of all thought processes and is change of physical structure.

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Here is what will happen:

Nothing.
    Agreed.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

William does meditation.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To interrupt your descend in to madness in the form of publicly speaking to yourself
    lol, nice observation

let me say that while I agree on it being practically impossible to change one's type

your statement that thinking does not change physical structure of your brain is wrong because neural plasticity is an integral part of all thought processes and is change of physical structure.
    I think neural plasticity is more "improving what is already there" than "putting something different in place of what is already there". Furthermore, by "thinking" I meant "consciously thinking about", as in "I am willing my brain to change in a certain way", which is basically what OP is tryna do.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rat1 View Post
    Everything is so fast these days... technology, constant stimulation coming at me, thoughts racing in my head. I've meditated a few times to try to ... get back to reality.
    Yeah, no one just stops for a second and sits on a bench to lick a lollipop.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truck View Post
    Yeah but are you motivated to do this because you have low self-esteem based on who you are because your image wasn't something that other people wanted to validate? That always leads to low self-esteem.

(sorry I know that is really dark and emo and stereotypically IEI but I just have to make sure...) If your underlying intentions for doing this aren't noble I think it will just backfire in unexpected ways. But as a curious, non-emotional scientist I support your endeavors.
    I am mostly interested in learning about constructivism - by trying to live as one. I believe that it is best to mix traits between partners. I could be either - and not care which is better. I, in general, seem to like being emotivism. But I am also wanting to be able to see constructivism better, to improve my typing skills. And if this trait can flip, does it flip everything else?

I honestly think, as I prepare my mantras, that I am mostly going to discover what these traits really are.

God is most glorified when we are most satisfied in Him.
    - John Piper

Socionics -
    the16types.info

Nothing is real. So tomorrow doesn't matter.
    TIM
    iei infp type 7?or 4
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe adding movement to it could complement what you are aiming ...
    deep sea dive
    mountain trek
    sky jump...

if you figure out what you need,
    you r half way there

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think using medication is a great idea to change your type. Let me know which medication is particularly effective, perhapse I can counter-engineer it so I can drug people up to become alphas

Banned
    TIM
    LII (INTj)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rules of reality were ignored = PoLR

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstorm View Post
    I am mostly interested in learning about constructivism - by trying to live as one. I believe that it is best to mix traits between partners. I could be either - and not care which is better. I, in general, seem to like being emotivism. But I am also wanting to be able to see constructivism better, to improve my typing skills. And if this trait can flip, does it flip everything else?

I honestly think, as I prepare my mantras, that I am mostly going to discover what these traits really are.
    I would expect the easiest way to do this would be via a swapping of the Base function and the Ignoring function. LIE and LSE are both Emotivist. An Ignoring function, no longer "ignored", would make sense as the next in line to be Base; potency in Logics should cover both sides of a coin, it would just be a matter of flipping the coin, and hey, Ti and Te would both be Accepting for LII anyways! If the mind is to be blanked out via meditation, then something external to the mind and the self should feed into the mind, something that would help flip the T over, and I'd go straight for the music. As per musical suggestions, the John Coltrane album Giant Steps is absolutely amazing in and of itself, and on the more heavy metal end of the spectrum, the Strapping Young Lad album City should do something; I got 'em both at LIE, and John Coltrane and Devin Townsend wrote a large majority of their respective albums here. I'd also like to put in a suggestion for Meshuggah; I've got an observation about rhythm and the quadras that I've yet to figure out how to put into words, but this music is explicitly cyclonic and there is an equilibrium in the chaos, as is to be expected when the portmanteau "obZen" is used as an album title. I'd go for the appropriately named Chaosphere first though and jump right into the glorious madness:

Have fun! a nice comfy bed, a pitch-black room with the windows tinfoiled over; a situation in which all that enters you is the music itself. I've been having some incredibly profound insights as far as Alpha goes from this in regards to Sonic Youth albums at the moment, and the waters run incredibly deep...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought of a simple two-step method for changing your type:

1. Kill yourself (or otherwise die)
    2. Be reincarnated as a different type (assuming you're reincarnated as a human)

Try it and let us know what happens!

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clearly View Post
    I thought of a simple two-step method for changing your type:

1. Kill yourself (or otherwise die)
    2. Be reincarnated as a different type (assuming you're reincarnated as a human)

Try it and let us know what happens!
    You first.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    You first.
    I'm not the one trying to change my type.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Clearly View Post
    I'm not the one trying to change my type.
    I'll focus less on going into why that's effectively untrue at the moment, and more on your equivocation of type change with death. As described by the tarot, and as used in the Enneagram, as well as in much of the rest of the world of esoterica, which all of this remains permanently rooted and indebted to, Death refers to a transformation moreso than just an explicit end. To "die", "kill yourself", and "be reincarnated" doesn't necessitate the permanent breakdown of the corporeal entity that any one sentience is piloting.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death refers to a transformation moreso than just an explicit end.
    ignoring the fact that my post was supposed to be taken as a joke, this is kinda what I was getting at with it

To "die", "kill yourself", and "be reincarnated" doesn't necessitate the permanent breakdown of the corporeal entity that any one sentience is piloting.
    I don't think we can ascribe any "personal" or "human" qualities to the "soul", if there is one