Thread: Quadras as an Adventuring Party

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quadras as an Adventuring Party

I recently realized that the quadras more or less correspond to the classic RPG adventuring party of warrior, rogue, wizard, and cleric. (To make the metaphor even more excessive, we could superimpose it over EyeSeeCold's fighting styles! )

Alpha - Rogue

: Rogues are notoriously curious and exploratory, and are rarely willing to leave an interesting prospect alone without checking it out. Rogues like to figure out how things work, and will usually start toying around with any clever traps or mysterious scrolls they find, regardless of whether doing so seems advisable.

: Rogues tend to present an easygoing, likeable persona, and value their own comfort and entertainment. They often see no problem with pretending or "stretching the truth" a bit. Rogues tend to act in a fairly relaxed fashion unless in danger.

Beta - Wizard

: Wizards are often very ambitious, and tend to place extreme importance on increasing their powers. This power is often attained via study and understanding, and a wizard will often leverage detailed knowledge about a situation in order to better control or influence it.

: Wizards can be highly introspective, and frequently like to plumb the depths of their minds or speculate on the underlying meaning of events. They can be quite theatrical and expressive, for example, a wizard might work himself up into a visible rage while casting a spell, while a cleric probably won't.

Gamma - Warrior

: One of the warrior's main jobs in the party is fighting off dangerous enemies in a direct, forceful way, and many warriors attach major importance to competition and conquest. At the same time, warriors tend to be fiercely loyal to their own allies, which they make slowly and keep forever.

: Warriors strongly value practical action over theoretical understanding. Intelligent warriors often their minds towards the tactical and strategic aspects of their trade, assessing the likely outcomes of battles and wisely backing out of those that could turn out poorly.

Delta - Cleric

:Clerics try to get along with everyone and support the other party members, although they can be somewhat uncompromising on particular personal principles.

: It's the cleric's job to keep everyone alive and healthy, and this is usually accomplished in a rather direct and diligent style. Whereas the wizard will occasionally pop in with major flashy effects, the cleric uses a more subdued set of protective and supportive abilities to good effect by constantly maintaining their effects and looking for where to best use them.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I kinda like the general idea of what you're doing but I think this is inaccurate. I love to heal the most in rpg games. It isn't just for Deltas, INFps can also be a super healing type. Or more of the bad boy caster type. But I think INFp are pretty innately magical that way.

I basically prefer playing a Holy Paladin in World of Warcraft the most. I love the reactive healing style and the strong heals. I hate proactive healing, reactive healing is a lot more fun to me- because it fits my personality better.

ESTps as Wizards? Not likely. I view ESTps more as Warrior/tanks....

Anyways it's hard to make any neat correlations. Nick is also an INFp on the forum, but he is a lot more like a Rogue then anything. I would say a Warrior-tank INFp is very rare, but not impossible. And Alphas being 'Rogues' in general totally contradicts the general ideas on what the quadra is supposed to be about....but it depends on the individual.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember liking to do healing in Asheron's Call 2 because it was the only thing that involved more than just cycling through attack patterns repetitively. for some strange mysterious reason it also made me a lot of firends.

better association (still rubbish but whatever):
    wizards: NTs
    rogues: SFs
    warriors: STs
    clerics: NFs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    And Alphas being 'Rogues' in general totally contradicts the general ideas on what the quadra is supposed to be about....but it depends on the individual.
    How so? The curiosity, sensualism, and improvisational attitude really seem to match up. I don't really think of rogues as being particularly cruel or badass, btw...

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    ESTps as Wizards? Not likely. I view ESTps more as Warrior/tanks....
    I see where that works, what with the physicality and aggression, and labcoat probably also had this in mid attributing warriors to ST types, but I was trying to go with the general attitude more than particular means. Like, wizards can be pretty intimidating, even if they are physically frail. Besides, I can't really imagine Gamma --> Wizard Beta--> Warrior as well.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually think of myself as a wizard, but I associate that with what the OP described as rogue attributes, specifically curiosity and examining all the ways that the things available (i.e. spells/scrolls, which tend to be the most interesting) can be combined - the difference being that the wizard understands what he is messing with, whereas the rogue does not.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the wizard and rogue would both mess with a strange scroll, etc., but I think the main difference is that the wizard only messes with it because he knows a bit about it. He wouldn't, for instance, start goofing with something he had no knowledge of. A rogue obviously would, which led me to associate rogue with Ne - rogues don't restrain their curiosity very much.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    better association (still rubbish but whatever):
    wizards: NTs
    rogues: SFs
    warriors: STs
    clerics: NFs
    Yeah, the "rogues: SF" correlation seems a bit forced. I can't really imagine SEIs, ESEs, SEEs and ESIs to be sneaky and scheming like rogues. If I had to choose, I would put rogues somewhere between STs and NTs.

The rest is pretty good.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogue is also commonly portrayed as the persuasive character who is good with people and physical objects (daggers/bows/traps/lockpicks). At the very least it fits SF's more than the other three.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Igxfl View Post
    (To make the metaphor even more excessive, we could superimpose it over EyeSeeCold's fighting styles! )
    Unless your theory corresponds to Aspectonics, it's not the same. I was foolish for making it seem all "fictional action-y", but what I captured is actually embedded in Socionics.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Rogue is also commonly portrayed as the persuasive character who is good with people and physical objects (daggers/bows/traps/lockpicks). At the very least it fits SF's more than the other three.
    Yes, I agree with this regarding emotional manipulation.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm good at cleric or meat shield.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, I'll be damned...

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    i remember liking to do healing in Asheron's Call 2 because it was the only thing that involved more than just cycling through attack patterns repetitively. for some strange mysterious reason it also made me a lot of firends.
    I think healing usually takes more thought and practice and is deemed as not nearly as fun as mindlessly mashing buttons. So if people find a good healer, they try to befriend you, lol. At least that has been my experience from FFXI and Wow.

Oh, and help me! I'm trapped in this avatar! If I don't learn the secrets of socionics, they won't let me out. Don't listen to the men in the black suits. THEY LIE!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Fucking nerd shit.
    Should we take this as a status of your present activities? That you are engaged in coitus with nerd feces?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    no u
    You're fucking me now? I'm sorry Ashton, however flattered that I may be, but I don't swing that way.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread makes me incredibly happy. Well, pre-"Ashton nerd comment" anyway.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Creepy-male

Rogue -- A combination of everything but NF

• The Bard/Swashbuckler Rogue -- SF with some NT
    • The Combat/Thief Rogue -- ST with some NT

In both cases what makes a rogue imo, is the emphasis on Sensing, and the preference of Intuitive Thinking over Intuitive Feeling. There basically troubleshooters and highly utilitarian with little regard for deeper concepts of compassion and spirituality.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDoomer View Post
    Yeah, the "rogues: SF" correlation seems a bit forced. I can't really imagine SEIs, ESEs, SEEs and ESIs to be sneaky and scheming like rogues. If I had to choose, I would put rogues somewhere between STs and NTs.

The rest is pretty good.
    What about the swashbuckling bard kind of rogue archetype? Like that girl from Order of the Stick, she's an Alpha sort of a rogue. (And the bard is some kind of really ditzy SEI.)

Also, ISFs are plenty sneaky. It's our way of getting things done despite chronic and profound indirectness.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Egbert Human View Post
    What about the swashbuckling bard kind of rogue archetype? Like that girl from Order of the Stick, she's an Alpha sort of a rogue. (And the bard is some kind of really ditzy SEI.)

Also, ISFs are plenty sneaky. It's our way of getting things done despite chronic and profound indirectness.
    Someone should make an OotS type thread, if one doesn't already exist.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.