Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Se and Si approach the same things differently

I'm wondering about Se and Si's different approaches to things like food, health, and beauty. Everybody eats, everybody maintains some minimal level of health, and everybody possesses a physical appearance.

These are just hypotheses or general observations. Do you agree or disagree with these?

Se: Do something about it. Take action.
    Si: Get used to it. Tolerate it.

Se healthcare: Take a drug, intervene, take action, don't let the problem sit there.
    Si healthcare: Do as little as possible, get used to whatever you can tolerate.

I notice it with healthcare. Everyone is interested in health to some extent. I've read that the Se approach is a strong-willed approach. Do something, no matter how hard it is, even if it's inconvenient - go on a strict diet, for instance.

However, I'm Si, and yet I also believe in a strict and specialized diet, except I don't believe that it's going to be painful or difficult. (For a variety of reasons I can't cook right now because I'm living in my car, but in the future I will be following a special diet.) Si doesn't necessarily mean that you eat nothing but cookies all day because cookies are enjoyable. In fact, Si might mean that you eat cookies, they taste good, and then you notice that you feel sick and unfulfilled because they are not really nutritious.

With health symptoms, I will avoid taking a drug for as long as I can. Some people have an extremely aggressive approach. If there is the slightest problem, the slightest symptom, they will have ten different bottles of vitamins and herbs and prescription drugs that they will take then and there. They feel that you must take action, attack the problem, do something immediately. As for me, I don't even take cold medicine. I just let the cold run its course. I ignore the symptoms as much as I can. I take as few drugs as I can.

Anyway.

Beauty:

Se: You must DO SOMETHING in order to make yourself beautiful. If you do nothing, you'll become ugly. Your body will get out of control if you let it do its own thing.
    Si: Get used to looking imperfect. Imperfection is beautiful.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? True or false? Overly general stereotype?

I will probably change my mind about all this later. It's only a hypothesis for now. Chances are it's going to offend everyone.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense if we follow that extraverted attitudes are directive and introverted attitudes are adaptive. I use the same principle to differentiate between and .

So, +1.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Information is processed continually, on a daily basis, and we must deal with tasks in our environment. The Si approach to all things sensational, in my opinion, is the perceptual perspective that energy must be conserved and spread out over time because there will be many more days ahead of you in which you must deal with your environment. In contrast, the Se approach to all things sensational, in my opinion, is the perceptual perspective that urgent tasks in your environment must be executed as soon as possible otherwise they develop into larger problems that you may not be able to control. So in terms of healthcare, fitness and appearance Si egos are likely to 'do more with less effort'; gradual, but observable diligence. Se egos, in the fields of healthcare, fitness and appearance are more likely to do any and all things currently manageable that will directly and effectively acquire the goal.

Se action: Do something now. Do not let it develop.
    Si action: Take steps to secure maximum control of the problem and gradually bring it to a close.

Se healthcare: Do whatever it takes to remove the problem immediately with as less suffering as possible.
    Si healthcare: Do what will consume the least amount of energy, so that there is more for the future.

Se beauty: What is the most effective way to appear beautiful?
    Si beauty: What is the least exhausting way to appear beautiful?

P.S.

When the problem gets out of control for Se and starts to develop, that's were Ni comes in.

When the problem doesn't seem to be going away and energy seems that it will be exhausted before the problem has been taken care of, that is were Ne comes in.

I also think that 'desperate times/desperate measures' is an Ne/Si thing.
    Last edited by EyeSeeCold; 08-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew an SLE who was always running to the ER for this or that. Had a cabinet full of prescription drugs too. Always taking something and then evaluating its effects. It got old after awhile, to be honest. I admired that he was DOING something about it, but it also felt like he was doing too much and slightly obsessed over it.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nico1e View Post

Beauty:

Se: You must DO SOMETHING in order to make yourself beautiful. If you do nothing, you'll become ugly. Your body will get out of control if you let it do its own thing.

Se beauty is more about the physical world: how shapes and colors fit together and contrast each other in an "objective" way. Se egos can see this very clearly. I have a hard time seeing these things.

The other day I wore a green hat and a red shirt when working. An SEE co-worker immidiately said to me that "Nice/funny hat, but the colors don't fit together". I hadn't really thought about it.

Si beauty is... something different, it's more about balance, harmony. How your perceptions make you feel, or something. It's more subjective. But not entirely subjective either. Maybe somone else cares to explain.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh crap.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nico1e, I can't take the association of your observations with Si very seriously, since I think you're a Ne type - you strike me as EII, actually. Just letting you know, I was waiting for an opportunity to tell this to you, this one is appropriate, considering that your real life observations involving your personality have weight in the matter.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    EII Ne, 6w5 sp/sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know much about the theory behind Socionics, but I'm going to comment anyway.

For me my approach to beauty is to keep things simple by eating healthy, taking supplements, and working with what i have. It seems like most people my age like to use more make up and colors than i do. I like to wear make up, but i use it to accentuate my best features, and help me look more naturally pretty. I don't like the heavy make up look at all.

Now for health just like above i eat really healthy.
    I grew up vegan, but now i have a more moderate approach. I eat fruits veggies, and whole grains (with some pizza thrown in when i gotta have it). I also drink herbal teas to help stay healthy. I take walks once in a while for exercise (even though i should exercise more). I don't use any type of recreational drugs or drink alcohol. I'm more into alternative health, so if I'm not feeling well i use herbs instead of drugs if i can help it.

I'm a valuer, so i don't know if this relates to my lifestyle.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se healthcare: Take a drug, intervene, take action, don't let the problem sit there.
    Si healthcare: Do as little as possible, get used to whatever you can tolerate, most health problems will sort themselves out.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much makes sense. It could possibly use a few edits but nothing huge.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that by this Si types would have more health problems (I mean "just let it sit there"?) Really? Unless of course it's Si dominants and they know they shouldn't just let it go, but the IP temperament wins out?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nah. Telling somebody to 'do something about it' is usually just common sense and/or somebody being pushy. I mean they mean well, problems don't obviously get solved unless you do take some action... but it comes off as sort of stupid, since nobody likes being told what to do.

Se is external statics of objects remember. And the example you gave contradicts that. So that's not Se.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I want to note that functional blocking has just as much of a effect on how a function is expressed as the functions themselves.

Si + Fe vs Si + Te
    Se + Fi vs Se + Ti

There are many different characteristics for this and may not manifest similarly especially with introverted functions as these are sometimes very personal.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ambition will solve a lot of things. It can make you pretty, popular and rich. It can give you fame, world respect, the admiration of many people. All of those things are great because of the security, confidence and ease that they bring people.

But it cannot assuage your inner pain. It can't give you deep meaning, or internal support and understanding. If it could, then there would be no famous, successful, extroverted person who was well liked that ever killed themselves. This is of course untrue.

If you're not ambitious, then chances are you already know that you need a lot of meaning in your life, that you're a thoughtful/considerate person, that loves deep relationships with a few people as opposed to the world's ruckus. And so you need the opposite advice: Instead of letting things go to your heart you need to try a little. You really do need to develop a thicker skin, and the only way out is through: Through the raw bitter experience.

Why I'm ranting about this:

Your post reminds me of TYPE A and B personalities more than it does Se vs. Si.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't tell who you're talking to BnD.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Ambition will solve a lot of things. It can make you pretty, popular and rich. It can give you fame, world respect, the admiration of many people. All of those things are great because of the security, confidence and ease that they bring people.

But it cannot assuage your inner pain. It can't give you deep meaning, or internal support and understanding. If it could, then there would be no famous, successful, extroverted person who was well liked that ever killed themselves. This is of course untrue.

If you're not ambitious, then chances are you already know that you need a lot of meaning in your life, that you're a thoughtful/considerate person, that loves deep relationships with a few people as opposed to the world's ruckus. And so you need the opposite advice: Instead of letting things go to your heart you need to try a little. You really do need to develop a thicker skin, and the only way out is through: Through the raw bitter experience.

Why I'm ranting about this:

Your post reminds me of TYPE A and B personalities more than it does Se vs. Si.
    This post reminds me of Static/Dynamic types.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering about Se and Si's different approaches to things like food, health, and beauty. Everybody eats, everybody maintains some minimal level of health, and everybody possesses a physical appearance.

These are just hypotheses or general observations. Do you agree or disagree with these?

I notice it with healthcare. Everyone is interested in health to some extent. I've read that the Se approach is a strong-willed approach. Do something, no matter how hard it is, even if it's inconvenient - go on a strict diet, for instance.

However, I'm Si, and yet I also believe in a strict and specialized diet, except I don't believe that it's going to be painful or difficult. (For a variety of reasons I can't cook right now because I'm living in my car, but in the future I will be following a special diet.) Si doesn't necessarily mean that you eat nothing but cookies all day because cookies are enjoyable. In fact, Si might mean that you eat cookies, they taste good, and then you notice that you feel sick and unfulfilled because they are not really nutritious.

With health symptoms, I will avoid taking a drug for as long as I can. Some people have an extremely aggressive approach. If there is the slightest problem, the slightest symptom, they will have ten different bottles of vitamins and herbs and prescription drugs that they will take then and there. They feel that you must take action, attack the problem, do something immediately. As for me, I don't even take cold medicine. I just let the cold run its course. I ignore the symptoms as much as I can. I take as few drugs as I can.

Anyway.

Beauty:

I will probably change my mind about all this later. It's only a hypothesis for now. Chances are it's going to offend everyone.
    YES, everything you said about Si and how it differs from Se rings a bell for me.

Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    Nico1e, I can't take the association of your observations with Si very seriously, since I think you're a Ne type - you strike me as EII, actually. Just letting you know, I was waiting for an opportunity to tell this to you, this one is appropriate, considering that your real life observations involving your personality have weight in the matter.
    I'm really curious as to how I ended up seeming like an EII. This is interesting.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Information is processed continually, on a daily basis, and we must deal with tasks in our environment. The Si approach to all things sensational, in my opinion, is the perceptual perspective that energy must be conserved and spread out over time because there will be many more days ahead of you in which you must deal with your environment. In contrast, the Se approach to all things sensational, in my opinion, is the perceptual perspective that urgent tasks in your environment must be executed as soon as possible otherwise they develop into larger problems that you may not be able to control. So in terms of healthcare, fitness and appearance Si egos are likely to 'do more with less effort'; gradual, but observable diligence. Se egos, in the fields of healthcare, fitness and appearance are more likely to do any and all things currently manageable that will directly and effectively acquire the goal.

Se action: Do something now. Do not let it develop.
    Si action: Take steps to secure maximum control of the problem and gradually bring it to a close.

Se healthcare: Do whatever it takes to remove the problem immediately with as less suffering as possible.
    Si healthcare: Do what will consume the least amount of energy, so that there is more for the future.

Se beauty: What is the most effective way to appear beautiful?
    Si beauty: What is the least exhausting way to appear beautiful?

P.S.

When the problem gets out of control for Se and starts to develop, that's were Ni comes in.

When the problem doesn't seem to be going away and energy seems that it will be exhausted before the problem has been taken care of, that is were Ne comes in.

I also think that 'desperate times/desperate measures' is an Ne/Si thing.
    I'll keep an eye out for this. This way of looking at it seems interesting and it might relate to the idea that I'm trying to express.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Se beauty is more about the physical world: how shapes and colors fit together and contrast each other in an "objective" way. Se egos can see this very clearly. I have a hard time seeing these things.

The other day I wore a green hat and a red shirt when working. An SEE co-worker immidiately said to me that "Nice/funny hat, but the colors don't fit together". I hadn't really thought about it.

Si beauty is... something different, it's more about balance, harmony. How your perceptions make you feel, or something. It's more subjective. But not entirely subjective either. Maybe somone else cares to explain.
    Sure thing, I will

Usually, my bottom half will consist of really sturdy black pants, black shoes, and black socks. I can effectively match this with almost anything, it has a great sense of presence about it, and it's really durable.

With shirts, I'll go a different color, usually something a bit striking; red shirts with black print are awesome, as are green shirts. Black with black's a bit trickier; I have to match black with black, and black doesn't always match with black if the shades are off; put clothes through the wash enough times, and this problem will happen...

The black blazer I got is pretty badass too; it's in my (at the time of posting this) avatar, with myself inside of it, and I'll bust it out when I'm not doing anything overly physical strenuous and I need a greater sense of presence to happen...

I want to get some "stomp the shit out of everything" boots soon

I don't wear shorts, I never wear underwear unless I'm wearing pajamas under my pants in the winter months, I don't wear sweatpants, and I don't wear jeans... I don't want to look sloppy, I want to look like I'm capable of taking on whatever needs to be taken on... mobilized and ready to go, more or less...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    I'm really curious as to how I ended up seeming like an EII. This is interesting.
    you might also find it interesting to know that the ineffable has a different type for around 90% of the members here...

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

you might also find it interesting to know that the ineffable has a different type for around 90% of the members here...
    That's fine. All that matters is that somebody noticed I exist enough to have an opinion about what type I am. (That's a sign that I'm using the forum too much.) This is the most interesting thing that's happened to me since I've been on here. It gives me a chance to start a debate about something. After I start the debate, maybe other people will form new opinions too.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    It makes sense if we follow that extraverted attitudes are directive and introverted attitudes are adaptive. I use the same principle to differentiate between and .

So, +1.
    What do you mean by this? And how do you recognize one from the other? If you find a good example, would you please share it with us?
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 08-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se health care: Get rid of the sick people!

Quote from Robocop (1987)
    "Can you fly, Bobby?"

Se approach to beauty: appear in public with as much gold as possible!
    Develop your muscles!

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, Dominant and Normalizing personalities of all types.

IMO, Creative and Harmonizing personalities of all types.
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote you there, on your profile. Not many things that one can qualify as universal arguments - as in "for everyone" - , those would involve a somehow great effort that I currently can't make because of personal reasons.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    What do you mean by this? And how do you recognize one from the other? If you find a good example, would you please share it with us?
    Well, adapts to the emotional field by reading attraction and repulsion between objects, and directs it to match certain emotional states. The latter considers any interaction between objects as whole that can be steered directly, whereas the former considers it to be sum-of-parts that exists independently of the subject.

-> Object
    <- Object

Just my understanding of it. I'm not sure I can provide examples, I'll need to think more about that.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Well, adapts to the emotional field by reading attraction and repulsion between objects, and directs it to match certain emotional states. The latter considers any interaction between objects as whole that can be steered directly, whereas the former considers it to be sum-of-parts that exists independently of the subject.

-> Object
    <- Object

Just my understanding of it. I'm not sure I can provide examples, I'll need to think more about that.
    Yes, that makes sense. Thank you
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post

Makes no sense. Creative represents EP and Normalizing represents IJ.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creative people claim that their approach to life is the best and they rarely change anything. They and H do the same.
    ILE "Searcher"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creative people claim that their approach to life is the best and they rarely change anything. They and H do the same.
    That's equivocation. You're speaking about general approach to life when this topic is about taking situational action.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this very interesting.
    Se would be my 3rd function, and I am very sporadic about taking care of my appearance. I go through phases where I do something about it, but on the whole I am lazy when it comes to this. Trips to the hairdressers can be few and far between. I worry and think about it way more often than I actually do anything about it.

I always feel like the perfect body is just around the corner for me if I just put in a little effort in the gym. But I rarely do.

Being with my dual (Si dominant) has helped me to accept my flaws. He says he doesn't care at all and accepts me as I am. I feel as if I am learning this lesson from him.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eye of the Potato View Post
    I find this very interesting.
    Se would be my 3rd function, and I am very sporadic about taking care of my appearance. I go through phases where I do something about it, but on the whole I am lazy when it comes to this. Trips to the hairdressers can be few and far between. I worry and think about it way more often than I actually do anything about it.

I always feel like the perfect body is just around the corner for me if I just put in a little effort in the gym. But I rarely do.
    I relate a lot to this. When i start getting interested in a guy I start doing more that way, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye of the Potato
    Being with my dual (Si dominant) has helped me to accept my flaws. He says he doesn't care at all and accepts me as I am. I feel as if I am learning this lesson from him.
    i hope i find someone like that soon too...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post

i hope i find someone like that soon too...
    Well get out there and start searching!

And then give up, and realise he was under your nose the whole time.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway.

Beauty:

Hmm, I basically agree with this but will rephrase it slightly. Basically when a problem is encountered (in any area of life, not just health/nutrition/aesthetics!) tells you "I have to use effort to overcome this", whereas tells you "I have to adapt to this to maintain balance". Of course we have to use a combination of these two approaches, and / ego types tend to strongly prefer one or the other. Adaptation doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing - it can mean taking medicine if taking medicine is not a huge effort or if it's something you do as a matter of course. But the impulse with (and really with any introverted function) is towards conservatism, staying within one's comfort zone, easiness rather than difficulty, as you said. This is very close to what I have written about as the essence of and .

The extreme/pathological manifestation of is to try to apply the first approach to EVERYTHING, that is, trying to mindlessly beat your problems to death without ever adapting to the situation or others' wishes. On the other hand, with you might want to avoid all your problems and just hope they'll go away if you're pleasant or avoidant enough.

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like as necessarily being "adaptation". This sounds too dominant, but perhaps that's your point? creatives would be more proactive about introducing balance/comfort/"feel good".

is best understood in general as comfort and reliability, imo. Both I and my LSE grandmother have very structured and orderly lifestyles. We're not adaptive, we're self-structuring. From experience I'd say we like structuring other people and the world around us in general as well, introducing routines and reliability and all that, and proactively "Caregiving" other people and maintaining their .
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    I don't like as necessarily being "adaptation". This sounds too dominant, but perhaps that's your point? creatives would be more proactive about introducing balance/comfort/"feel good".

is best understood in general as comfort and reliability, imo. Both I and my LSE grandmother have very structured and orderly lifestyles. We're not adaptive, we're self-structuring. From experience I'd say we like structuring other people and the world around us in general as well, introducing routines and reliability and all that, and proactively "Caregiving" other people and maintaining their .
    In general I'd agree, but I was aiming more for the specific context of dealing with problems.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Hmm, I basically agree with this but will rephrase it slightly. Basically when a problem is encountered (in any area of life, not just health/nutrition/aesthetics!) tells you "I have to use effort to overcome this", whereas tells you "I have to adapt to this to maintain balance". Of course we have to use a combination of these two approaches, and / ego types tend to strongly prefer one or the other. Adaptation doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing - it can mean taking medicine if taking medicine is not a huge effort or if it's something you do as a matter of course. But the impulse with (and really with any introverted function) is towards conservatism, staying within one's comfort zone, easiness rather than difficulty, as you said. This is very close to what I have written about as the essence of and .

The extreme/pathological manifestation of is to try to apply the first approach to EVERYTHING, that is, trying to mindlessly beat your problems to death without ever adapting to the situation or others' wishes. On the other hand, with you might want to avoid all your problems and just hope they'll go away if you're pleasant or avoidant enough.
    I've noticed that Si types also like to run to the other side of the room from the sick person, which ties in with the avoidance approach. I'm currently sick, and it's bizarre to me how Si types are kind of treating me Old Testament, "it is your fault you got sick, you are a disease vector", holding a sleeve over their mouth style. I guess maybe Se types think their immune system should be good enough, and if it isn't they'll put in the effort and recover quite quickly...
    Hell yeah! what good is my immune system if I can't use the thing and give it the trial by fire?

If I catch my body trying to get sick on me, I start downing Vitamin C pills, over 40 huge ones a day sometimes; my body's not going to shut down on me, I'm the one in control of the thing, not something smaller than an insect...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, adapts to the emotional field by reading attraction and repulsion between objects, and directs it to match certain emotional states.
    That was very good. Thank you.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    I've noticed that Si types also like to run to the other side of the room from the sick person, which ties in with the avoidance approach. I'm currently sick, and it's bizarre to me how Si types are kind of treating me Old Testament, "it is your fault you got sick, you are a disease vector", holding a sleeve over their mouth style. I guess maybe Se types think their immune system should be good enough, and if it isn't they'll put in the effort and recover quite quickly...
    When I was younger, I did this. It was only if someone was vomiting. I did not want to breathe in the smell of the vomit. I've read about the Norovirus, and it's actually true that you can catch the norovirus merely by inhaling just a couple of virus particles floating in the air after someone vomits. So I would lift my shirt collar up over my mouth and nose and breathe through it, and I would run away, and I would also try to cover my ears at the same time (using only one arm, reaching from one side of my head to the other, because the other hand was holding my shirt up over my mouth) so that I could not hear the sound of the vomiting.

However, as an adult, I am not as obviously phobic about it. My ex-boyfriend and I went out to a Chinese restaurant with his daughter. She got food poisoning or something and started vomiting all over the floor right in the middle of the restaurant in front of everybody. But we were getting ready to leave, and her daddy had gone outside and was talking to a friend, so he didn't know that any of this was happening. I was the only one there who could deal with it, and I am terrified of people vomiting.

Did I crumble? No. I went right over to her, while terrified, and I got her to come with me back to the bathroom as quickly as possible so that she could finish getting sick and so she could clean up. I went into the adrenaline rush mode where I was terrified and yet talking to her at the same time, saying things that I *never*, ever say, terms of endearment, 'it's okay sweetie, we have to get you back to the bathroom, come on hun,' and if you hear me using terms of endearment, then you know that something really strange or extreme is going on, because I can't do that.

So somehow I managed to deal with it in adrenaline mode. Eventually we found her daddy - and he was still outside talking to his friend and had no idea that any of this had happened at all! So we had to tell him the whole story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast