Thread: Jane Eyre

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jane Eyre

From the book... movies... Any opinion on her type? I find her interesting and often admirable. We are alike in some ways. She is a bit... stronger than me, though, I think. And cleverer.

Or what about the other characters, like the rather not-Darcy-like Mr. Rochester? (Bronte considered Austen's works a little bit too tame.)

I think my favorite adaptation of the book to screen must be the 2006 BBC version. I think it gives the most accurate portrayal of Jane; I find the other ones to be a bit silly. It's available almost in full on YouTube. Here are a couple of the sections in case you're interested:

Near the beginning of the story when Jane first arrives at her new job and meets her boss
    [spoil:a564305796][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbnOo9iuBMI[/youtube][/spoil:a564305796]

Her first conversations with Mr. Rochester
    [spoil:a564305796][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE5OdN-VT7U[/youtube][/spoil:a564305796]

Visiting her family
    [spoil:a564305796][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaYtYdAnc9c[/youtube][/spoil:a564305796]

Much later, when she is more independent (the first half is the main illustration of her personality, particularly as it relates to her sense of attachment and her further growth in confidence)
    [spoil:a564305796][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkjikaBOwc4[/youtube][/spoil:a564305796]
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by introspectivedolphin
    I love the book Jane Eyre! Except I must admit that whenever I reread it, I skip over the boring bits and just read the romance parts. I forced myself to read the whole thing the first time, and that was enough. I have no interest whatsoever in St. John. :wink:
    Yes, it seems to me a book that INFps might enjoy. Like you, though, when rereading I tend to skip around to my favorite parts. The first part, her childhood, is sad and makes me a little angry at all the injustice. And the in between part, when she's with her cousins, is a little boring, though I suppose it does well in demonstrating her grown and growing confidence in herself.

I feel in a way a bit sorry for St. John, though I do not dislike him. I would consider him a good friend, but not want to marry him.

Quote Originally Posted by introspectivedolphin
    Jane strikes me as INFj.
    Any particular reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I have never seen a movie of it - but I have read the book. I'll watch some of the clips before I comment. I'll have to do that a bit later though -- need to run out the door again right now.
    What did you think of the book?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    I both liked and disliked it. The ending made me angry at the author that she would sentence Jane to a caregiving type role like that, because she did not deserve that at all - and that was the best that was available to her, and she was happy with it because she was able to be with Rochester. Why was she so maddeningly accepting? She made the right choice and it ended up so depressing. And Rochester - he didn't deserve what happened to him at all. Yes he made mistakes, did things he shouldn't have, but he was trying to do the best he could. The ending is just horrible. I know it's supposed to be beautiful and heartwarming and show the power of love through all adversity - but it's not. It's just not. It shows people dealing magnificently with the hand they were dealt, which is very good and nice and honorable and lovely, but it leaves me sick that both of them, and Jane in particular got such a raw deal.
    Hm, interesting... Out of curiosity, how would you have ended the story?

What do you think of Jane as she is portrayed in the book?

EDIT: Argh, you edited! I'd still like to know, though, apart from just that she's INFjish.

EDIT2: And Rochester - what do you think of him?

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you seem to be remembering just fine. He does get his sight back at least partially at the very end.

It's funny because no matter how I think about it I'm having a hard time seeing the rawness of the deal, for Jane, at least. Maybe you can expand upon that a little. Not that I'd disagree, it's just not something I've thought of.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Diana - Ok, that makes sense.

I am familiar with caring for close ones with disabilities. My uncle had Down's Syndrome and when I was younger I and my siblings would often watch over him during my grandparents' absences. There definitely is a sense of loss and sadness for what isn't but should have been. So, yes, I would agree that Bronte seems to have glossed over that aspect.

@ dolphin (you changed your name!) - Hm, idealizing and prioritizing loved ones... Yes, that could be seen as INFj-like. At least, I know I tend to do that.

Other quotes from the book that I relate to:

Escape to imagination -
    "Then my sole relief was to walk along the corridor of the third story, backwards and forwards, safe in the silence and solitude of the spot, and allow my mind's eye to dwell on whatever bright visions rose before it - and, certainly, they were many and glowing; to let my heart be heaved by the exultant movement, which, while it swelled it in trouble, expanded it with life; and, best of all, to open my inward ear to a tale that was never ended - a tale my imagination created, and narrated continuously; quickened with all of incident, life, fire, feeling, that I desired and had not in my actual existence."

Shyness toward beautiful people -
    "I felt no fear of him, and but little shyness. Had he been a handsome, heroic-looking young gentleman, I should not have dared to stand thus questioning him against his will, and offering my service unasked. I had hardly ever seen a handsome youth; never in my life spoken to one. I had a theoretical reverence and homage for beauty, elegance, gallantry, fascination; but had I met those qualities incarnate in masculine shape, I should have known instinctively that they neither had nor could have sympathy with anything in me, and should have shunned them as one would fire, lightning, or anything else that is bright but antipathetic."

Listening and enjoying new knowledge -
    "I, indeed, talked comparatively little, but I heard him talk with relish. It was his nature to be communicative; he liked to open to a mind unacquainted with the world, glimpses of its scenes and ways [...]; and I had a keen delight in receiving the new ideas he offered, in imagining the new pictures he portrayed, and following him in thought through the new regions he disclosed, never startled or troubled by one noxious allusion."

Self-discipline over emotions -
    "When once more alone, I reviewed the information I had got; looked into my heart, examined its thoughts and feelings, and endeavored to bring back with a strict hand such as had been straying through imagination's boundless and trackless waste, into the safe fold of common sense.

[...] Reason having come forward and told, in her own quiet way, a plain, unvarnished tale, showing how I had rejected the real, and rapidly devoured the ideal; - I pronounced judgement to this effect:

That a greater fool than Jane Eyre had never breathed the breath of life: that a more fantastic idiot had never surfeited herself on sweet lies, and swallowed poison as if it were nectar.

'You,' I said, 'a favorite with Mr. Rochester? You gifted with the power of pleasing him? You of importance to him in any way? Go! your folly sickens me.'

[...] Ere long, I had reason to congratulate myself on the course of wholesome discipline to which I had thus forced my feelings to submit..."

Clinging to principles in the midst of conflict -
    "I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad - as I am now. Laws and principles are not for times when there is not temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigor; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth - so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am insane - quite insane, with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations are all I have at this hour to stand by; there I plant my foot."

There are other examples, but they are hard to condense into short quotes.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default jane eyre - EII quotes

(of Jane)
    "You are impassioned... for you
    human affections and sympathieshave the most powerful hold."

"How can your flesh be so soft and yielding, and yet your heart be like an iron fist"

There are more, but that's all for now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was said to you?
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the movie.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm totally Mr Rochester. He's by far the fictional character I most relate to.

[He may actually have been nicer than me to put up with 'someone' for so long, so close to him, in his own house. :/ ]

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally believe Jane Eyre is a ESI, but yeah, Fi is Fi...

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    I personally believe Jane Eyre is a ESI
    Why?
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

context is king