Thread: Socionics isn't Real

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Socionics isn't Real

It's just an imaginary made up system that attempts to group people using semantics, but it's really just people being delusional and playing tricks on their own mind. If you believe in Socionics it just means you're weak minded and are incapable of distinguishing reality from fiction.

Edit: This is an April Fool's joke.
    Last edited by Raver; 04-02-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: April Fools
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

My biggest issue with the whole concept is that it locks people into rigid intertype relationships and does not give any practical solutions to overcoming any conflicts or whatever...it's just pretty much, like, you're doomed deal with it. There are plenty of methods of achieving harmonious relationships with people if you feel it is worth the effort to understand them and let them understand you. I would think it would be easier to avoid conflict if you are already aware there might be issues as socionics would point out but maybe it is more of an easy excuse for how people behave toward one another more than anything. You are my conflict so I will not like you regardless... I just can't see myself buying into that. It is an outdated system at the very least.

Even the types of romantic/erotic is outdated...infantile, victim etc..

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    It's just an imaginary made up system that attempts to group people using semantics, but it's really just people being delusional and playing tricks on their own mind. If you believe in Socionics it just means you're weak minded and are incapable of distinguishing reality from fiction.
    Personality traits are "constant", so it serves a purpose. It's not "ideal" at this point in time, but it reins in what would otherwise be total, unintelligible chaos.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    My biggest issue with the whole concept is that it locks people into rigid intertype relationships and does not give any practical solutions to overcoming any conflicts or whatever...it's just pretty much, like, you're doomed deal with it. There are plenty of methods of achieving harmonious relationships with people if you feel it is worth the effort to understand them and let them understand you. I would think it would be easier to avoid conflict if you are already aware there might be issues as socionics would point out but maybe it is more of an easy excuse for how people behave toward one another more than anything. You are my conflict so I will not like you regardless... I just can't see myself buying into that. It is an outdated system at the very least.

Even the types of romantic/erotic is outdated...infantile, victim etc..
    I am totally with you, and in my encounters with other types in everyday life, I try hard to seek ways of bridging the incompatibilities. in my experience, however, with some intertypes (e.g. conflict, supervision), the best way to remain on good terms is really just to avoid close interaction. I've learned that the hard way. The reason is that try as hard as you can to get along, you just can't change the way your mind works (which is what socionics is really describing), and neither can they. With certain other intertypes, you may be able to play more to one of your strong functions that the other party also values (e.g. business partners can bond over their creative functions even though their dominant functions are incompatible).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

raver, what happened that got you so disillusioned?

Me, at this point, i've seen socionic intertypes play out over long-term too often to not believe it (even when i initially had mistyped the people involved). When socionics doesn't work, it's most likely that mistyping is happening (either of yourself, or of those you are dealing with); sometimes it's hard to tell that is the case until after you've been interacting closely for a while. Once you realize the type, it gets easier to recognize in others. It's hard to learn socionics from an online forum, because how things manifest isn't always clear, and it's the general demeanor that needs to be sized up for an initial typing -- not always an easy task.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Maybe as we continue to evolve, on this lovely little planet, things will change. Too bad it's my last cycle here. I'll be cheering from the sidelines though. Unless I end up on another planet or something. Perhaps there will be contact and we will be experiencing interplanetary relations. Setionics I will have to trademark before I die for my future ET self to recognize should it/he/she visit Earth. hahah

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Well Socionics is certainly real, but whether or not it accurately models reality is another matter.

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

wrong pill Neo

anglas u watered down nonbeliever

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gg sir. gg

I don't agree, I've seen it play out in my own life too many times not to believe it, it's at least pointing in the right direction. There's a lot of factors it doesn't take into account though like race, age, gender, etc.etc so I expect it to be replaced by something even more accurate in the near future.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's not real to you, it's because of how you define it.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    I don't agree, I've seen it play out in my own life too many times not to believe it, it's at least pointing in the right direction. There's a lot of factors it doesn't take into account though like race, age, gender, etc.etc so I expect it to be replaced by something even more accurate in the near future.
    well... it's not that strong of an argument. I've seen it so it's real is basically what all religions, conspiricy theorists and ufo spotters use as fundament.
    If you don't see it than you don't understand it isn't a good argument either; it's like "i have new clothes, if you think i'm naked you're too stupid to see my clothes".

the only relevant response to the OP is: opinions are like assholes....

I mean, the question wether or not socionics is worth time is a (inter)personal one. If it isn't interesting to him anymore than he can spend his time doing something else. By posting this he's just provoking reactions like yours, which, kinda are pointless which makes his op pointless..

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    I mean, the question wether or not socionics is worth time is a (inter)personal one. If it isn't interesting to him anymore than he can spend his time doing something else. By posting this he's just provoking reactions like yours, which, kinda are pointless which makes his op pointless..
    maybe...
    but thinking of socionics as real and then realizing its not is kind of a powerful shift. like people who used to believe in religion are often the most outspoken against it because theyve dealt with the guilt and fear and realized that its not necessary. similar concept. when you realize it, then it just feels right to speak up. (okay, maybe not you. but me. and maybe raver.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    well... it's not that strong of an argument. I've seen it so it's real is basically what all religions, conspiricy theorists and ufo spotters use as fundament.
    If you don't see it than you don't understand it isn't a good argument either; it's like "i have new clothes, if you think i'm naked you're too stupid to see my clothes".

the only relevant response to the OP is: opinions are like assholes....

Well I believe it for reasons beyond that, it's just that my own experience is the strongest argument *for me* because I'm kind of skeptical about psychology in general. It has been very accurate in predicting how people in *my* life will interact, which is more than what most theories have been able to do. I don't think personal experience should be your only basis for believing or discrediting it though, you're right about that. In my case it aligns with other ideas I've been studying about how the body (and larger systems) process energy.

and yes obviously OP is just trying to inflame people, but there's no reason why we can't seriously consider the topic anyway

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Even if it is real, so what? Reality doesn't equate with anything else save for the mere fact of its existence. Feces are real, it doesn't mean that you spend all day smelling shit... pain and hurt and hatred and arrogance are all 'real' - most people try not to dwell on that 24/7. Even if our polrs are real, what good is it to mentally masturbate over some psychological weakpoint that we have no control over? We are all hannibal lectoring ourselves.

But yeah, follow your ego function - it's the path of self confidence.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Certainly the explanation of the mind as something that does information processing, and has information preference is quite valid. How dynamic and the structure of the preferences are is a subject of exploration and debate. Socionics is really not in disagreement with the majority of information science, nor is the division of the mind into functional specializations something strange, socionics doesn't seek to explain everything it just some macro observations of long term human interaction. In short term interaction a lot of other factors can apply.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Raver finally

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hold on everybody, I'm building "Model W" at this very moment. the structure is there, the right wording isn't there, and this may take a while...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and yes obviously OP is just trying to inflame people, but there's no reason why we can't seriously consider the topic anyway
    1. OP is just trying to inflame people.
    2. We have been over this shit.
    3.There is no proof in the form of empirical evidence in peer-reviewed studies. So you either buy in to the logic and see enough correlation in your personal experience or you don't.
    4. Hardly anyone is interested in proselytizing socionics.
    Don't think socionic theory has significant amount of truth value to it? Hopefully that will prevent you from cluttering the forum with your typings and interpretations on socionic theory from now on.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    Hold on everybody, I'm building "Model W" at this very moment. the structure is there, the right wording isn't there, and this may take a while...

Lol "Model Woof" I love it!. Can you work on a theory of how to work at said 'doomed' relationships ... and add that to the mix? It's a pretty big ask. If/When you have time.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be a forum meme.

Someone should compile a list of people that decided socionics wasn't real and then use that to justify typings of them. lololol

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe as we continue to evolve, on this lovely little planet, things will change. Too bad it's my last cycle here. I'll be cheering from the sidelines though. Unless I end up on another planet or something. Perhaps there will be contact and we will be experiencing interplanetary relations. Setionics I will have to trademark before I die for my future ET self to recognize should it/he/she visit Earth. hahah
    What do you mean, it's your last cycle here?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    What do you mean, it's your last cycle here?
    I believe in reincarnation and have known since childhood that it was my last life on earth. Please don't ask how I know, I just do. I believe everyone on their last life will instinctively know when they ask themselves the question. I understand that it is not an accepted belief for many so maybe that is why more people don't even consider it. Everything I have endured in this lifetime is basically clearing up old karma with people. I have spoken to mystics, psychics and spiritualists who have confirmed this without me telling them. I also believe my Vedic astrology chart hints at this as well. Thanks to Rat I know that since he did my chart. It was very enlightening and he gave me a lot of info.
    Last edited by Aylen; 04-02-2014 at 04:22 AM.

YWIMW

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe in reincarnation and have known since childhood that it was my last life on earth. Please don't ask how I know, I just do. I believe everyone on their past life will instinctively know when they ask themselves the question. I understand that it is not an accepted belief for many so maybe that is why more people don't even consider it. Everything I have endured in this lifetime is basically clearing up old karma with people. I have spoken to mystics, psychics and spiritualists who have confirmed this without me telling them. I also believe my Vedic astrology chart hints at this as well. Thanks to Rat I know that since he did my chart. It was very enlightening and he gave me a lot of info.
    So, where to, next?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

So, where to, next?
    Don't know exactly. I just assume it will be my choice after I die. I might choose an existence that has no ethics, logic or emotions, especially no emotions, just a purely sensory experience where everything is pleasant or maybe just choose to experience myself without a physical body at all, just consciousness, for a few thousand years, in our time, to rest.

YWIMW

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Happy April Fools guys, this thread was just me playing a silly prank. I'm kind of surprised no one suspected that it was a prank considering it's April Fools today.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy April Fools guys, this thread was just me playing a silly prank. I'm kind of surprised no wonder suspected that it was a prank considering it's April Fools today.
    lol... good one! I was a little suprised to see you write that OP... I thought something had happened in your life!

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

lol... good one! I was a little suprised to see you write that OP... I thought something had happened in your life!
    Thanks. Well, everything is fine atm. Not the best, but not the worst either.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lifer View Post
    Personality traits are "constant", so it serves a purpose. It's not "ideal" at this point in time, but it reins in what would otherwise be total, unintelligible chaos.
    Agreed, it cannot be ideal as the map is not the territory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map%E2%...itory_relation. Socionics is merely a map of an aspect of the human mind, it cannot describe everything about it, but it cannot be ignored either.

raver, what happened that got you so disillusioned?

Me, at this point, i've seen socionic intertypes play out over long-term too often to not believe it (even when i initially had mistyped the people involved). When socionics doesn't work, it's most likely that mistyping is happening (either of yourself, or of those you are dealing with); sometimes it's hard to tell that is the case until after you've been interacting closely for a while. Once you realize the type, it gets easier to recognize in others. It's hard to learn socionics from an online forum, because how things manifest isn't always clear, and it's the general demeanor that needs to, be sized up for an initial typing -- not always an easy task.
    Well said, mistyping people in Socionics is one of the aspects of Socionics that I find to be frustrating as it can lead to false conclusions, which is why I believe one must find the perfect balance for them in applying Socionics to real life.

I find there's even more things that Socionics doesn't cover psychologically. It may cover some aspects of the human personality, while completely neglecting others. So it is not the end all of the human personality, but that doesn't mean that it's fictional due to the fact that it's merely limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    @Raver finally
    My real thoughts on Socionics is that it's a limited personality system so it should only be given limited consideration as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    So you're saying people can't be grouped together? That there are no common links for how they behave or perceive things? That in your "reality", everyone is completely 100% different, with nothing in common?

I think it's actually very healthy to realize socionics isn't everything, and that in reality people do have many unique differences as well as common similarities. Holding too much faith in socionics alone to predict or help all of your interpersonal relations is a recipe for failure, imo. I agree with that part.

I do, however, think you've gone a bit too far to the other extreme. Calling people "weak minded" for wanting to incorporate some understanding of socionics into their lives is a bit harsh. To me, I get the impression that you're coming from a place of awakening from disillusionment, perhaps feeling guilt for having held such high faith in socionics for so long, and feeling like your time was wasted. But whose fault is that? Is that the fault of the system, or the fault of someone expecting the system to do too much for their lives?

If you join the best gym in town with the best machines, but have been using the machines incorrectly for the past 8 years while going infrequently, is it the gym's fault you're out of shape? Are the people who have been going to the gym successfully and who are in shape "weak minded" for believing in their reality that the machines work?

If you haven't realized my point by now: don't blame socionics for your problems or wasted time. It was never intended to be a complete solution for figuring out your interpersonal relations or your life. It's intended to be a personality theory. If you don't wish to study it any longer, then don't. But understand - the next theory or idea you move onto won't fundamentally change your life around either. Only YOU can do that, in your own reality. Perhaps this is what you actually meant by your post. If so, then congratulations. You have arrived.

I had lots of fun meeting you in Toronto. But it disheartens me to see how lost it seems you've been the past 8 months, posting sappy threads like Choosing One's Path in Life or Socioncs and Life. I just get the impression you're putting WAY WAY WAY too much stock in socionics to pick a career or move on with your life. It's okay to feel lost sometimes. We all can feel that way, especially as adults. But man, to blame everything on a simple personality system, it's too much imo. Just become what you were meant to become.

If you need to rebel against socionics to move on, then do it! I give you permission. Go. Perhaps this will be a leap for you that is needed. I hope we can be still be friends even if you abandon socionics, and I hope you find happiness in your life.
    I hope I didn't get you too worried with my April Fool's joke William. I sometimes take jokes too far, maybe you can blame that on the fact that I'm an IEE. Like I told WA, my life isn't exactly in the best shape, but it's not in the worst shape either. I look at every life experience as necessary to evolve even if it may not be positive. As for my sappy threads, I was probably feeling a bit down and confused at the time, but I feel I've made some headway on that area since then so thanks for the concern.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

lol, i hate april fools.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Happy April Fools guys, this thread was just me playing a silly prank. I'm kind of surprised no one suspected that it was a prank considering it's April Fools today.
    April Fools isn't real ... just like socionics

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Nice april fools joke
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html