Thread: wats the meaning of life?

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default wats the meaning of life?

edited for gayness
    Last edited by kopyk; 11-03-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing thread zap. Thread of the year of the mont of the world. Fucking Pulitzer.

Ok, not sure I'm allowed to post penises, but I wanted to greet you for your initiative. I'll post something more complete in the following time of whenever I want to even if I don't want to.

Banned
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by mfckr; 12-29-2014 at 05:01 AM.

A man chooses, a slave obeys MensSuperMateriam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life has no meaning. We're only a cosmic accident.

But thanks to this, we can give to our lives the meaning we want. We can choose our purposes.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can divised in eight parts, the eight functions of socionics. It can also be divised in nine parts, the enneagrams. Then it'll also be divisable in six parts, the instintual variants.

Then we can look thoroughly in each of these parts and find meaning that we attribute to another part. Which in the end is an endless quest and an endless number of meaning to life.

So yes life has a meaning, yet some person struggle to find it, other don't even care and live life at its fullest until it hits them.

TL;DR: "Life"

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't believe you need to know which is up and which is down in order to know that this question is meaningless compared to finding a practical solution to maximise happiness and limit misery.

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Survive and replicate. Whatever you choose to do is up to you though.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    wat is it

aint hedonism the only viable philosophy
    I think you have to decide yourself, or if you don't want to decide, just go with your instincts and live.

Hell unless people here remember their past lives and if there's a reason after it ends no one knows. We are clever enough to know me are mortal, but not smart enough to know what to do with that.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

DON'T PANIC!

"Six by nine. Forty two." "That's it. That's all there is." "I always thought something was fundamentally wrong with the universe."

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question is never what the meaning of life is, but what the root of your desire for death is. I suspect usually it's because society has failed you, and failed the people who should have supported you.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i feel kind of dorky quoting nietzche but i came across this yesterday and it resonated a lot with my idea of what life is about.

"Meaning and morality of one’s life come from within oneself.
    Healthy, strong individuals seek self expansion by experimenting
    and by living dangerously. Life consists of an infinite number of
    possibilities and the healthy person explores as many of them as
    possible… the good life is ever changing, challenging, devoid of
    regret, intense, creative and risky."

(not that i'm anything close to that. ^ i'm too chicken and, er, Ij. but i wish)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Holon View Post
    The question is never what the meaning of life is, but what the root of your desire for death is. I suspect usually it's because society has failed you, and failed the people who should have supported you.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To tend your garden.
    Easy Day

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To live.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To find something in your life that gives it meaning. D'uh.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i feel kind of dorky quoting nietzche but i came across this yesterday and it resonated a lot with my idea of what life is about.

"Meaning and morality of one’s life come from within oneself.
    Healthy, strong individuals seek self expansion by experimenting
    and by living dangerously. Life consists of an infinite number of
    possibilities and the healthy person explores as many of them as
    possible… the good life is ever changing, challenging, devoid of
    regret, intense, creative and risky."

(not that i'm anything close to that. ^ i'm too chicken and, er, Ij. but i wish)
    This is why I have troubles with Nietzsche as Ni opposed to Ne.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and then it HITS you!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@zap

Something I see in you is that you try to outthink your thinking. You can't win from thought by thinking more. Thinking will not give you a sollution to a problem that it firstly self created. This battle can only be won by not fighting it.

the meaning of life is to talk about the meaning of life in the wee hours in a misty night bar and get a hard on for the person who'll say the most baziiiingggyy thing

o w8w8 u r not sle

streotypestreotypelololol

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sevjenn View Post
    the meaning of life is to talk about the meaning of life in the wee hours in a misty night bar and get a hard on for the person who'll say the most baziiiingggyy thing

o w8w8 u r not sle

streotypestreotypelololol
    baziiiingggyy!

That deserves a "like"!

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    ...and then it HITS you!
    Ouch! <-- tee hee (I feel mean for linking this)

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This thread should be moved to 'Relationships, Love, Sex' or even 'Art, Music, Literature'.

'Anything Goes' might suit some people.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reficulris View Post
    This is why I have troubles with Nietzsche as Ni opposed to Ne.
    Maybe he was sx first.

YWIMW

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The meaning is many and varied. The meaning is subjective so it depends on how we individually view the world and what we want out of our existence... A wise man once said unto me 'the point of life is to be in harmony with your surroundings' I like that, it sits well with me but may not be my personal truth. Truth does change ...mostly... so decide where you are with yourself and then you'll be able to answer those questions.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    This thread should be moved to 'Relationships, Love, Sex' or even 'Art, Music, Literature'.

'Anything Goes' might suit some people.
    Really? I think philosophy suits this thread.

[I heard a song that reminded me of you this morning. I will have to post it in dedicate a song...]

YWIMW

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the mistake is to assume that meaning is something that exists entirely a priori and is not introduced gradually a posteriori.

In my own philosophical system freedom is the main axis / scale. Both extremes are frightening to us: a world so chaotic and unstructured where literally anything can happen (such as someone stabbing you out of nothing, fearing no retaliation) or that is so structured it becomes asphyxiating (in Kafka's The Process style).

As members of a healthy society, we should be somewhere in the middle of this scale. To think that the world has no meaning would be absurd because we're constrained since we're born by society through rules set before us. But we have some control over those rules too. That's why the Socratic put that much emphasis on politics (such as Aristotle going as far as defining men as zoon politikon): within a society access to politics is fundamental to reclaim any freedom. However, the Socratic didn't understand the concept of time and thus they lacked the concept of evolution of meaning.

Through freedom comes our ability to fulfill and define a meaning. First we obey the rules imposed to us, then we (should) get a chance to make our own.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

To be free to do what I wanna do, to get loaded, and to have a good time.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him for ever in heaven.

TIM
    O,!C,I;IEI
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him for ever in heaven.
    What a coincidence, I was just thinking about the first point. I think it's possibly applicable outside Christian theology, especially if you're interested in process theology. I wonder if humans aren't an awakened reasoning process in God. I heard Terrence McKenna claim that biology on Earth alone has been around longer than the entire lifecycle of most stars. If we are in fact not some coincidental epiphenomenon, it is interesting that our role is as a collective generator and debater of ideas and alterer and understander of nature. Evolution is beginning to form self-awareness through the collective activity of humans, and as mere results of a cosmic process it seems reasonable that we are an aspect of God that is altering itself.

I'm not sure how indifferent the Universe is to us. Lovecraft's cosmic horrors are merely a reflection of a failure either to comprehend or accept what seem to be the suggestions of a possible cosmic-scale dialectic.

---

Incidentally I think there's another completely offtopic question as to whether or not Lovecraft empathised with all of his mad antagonists, or was critical of them as being a part of the culture he seemed to fail to find a place in as much as tried to cultivate himself above. I would lean with empathy given the content of some of his stories of horror at the inevitable destruction of the Earth.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a coincidence, I was just thinking about the first point. I think it's possibly applicable outside Christian theology, especially if you're interested in process theology. I wonder if humans aren't an awakened reasoning process in God. I heard Terrence McKenna claim that biology on Earth alone has been around longer than the entire lifecycle of most stars. If we are in fact not some coincidental epiphenomenon, it is interesting that our role is as a collective generator and debater of ideas and alterer and understander of nature. Evolution is beginning to form self-awareness through the collective activity of humans, and as mere results of a cosmic process it seems reasonable that we are an aspect of God that is altering itself.

I'm not sure how indifferent the Universe is to us. Lovecraft's cosmic horrors are merely a reflection of a failure either to comprehend or accept what seem to be the suggestions of a possible cosmic-scale dialectic.

---

Incidentally I think there's another completely offtopic question as to whether or not Lovecraft empathised with all of his mad antagonists, or was critical of them as being a part of the culture he seemed to fail to find a place in as much as tried to cultivate himself above. I would lean with empathy given the content of some of his stories of horror at the inevitable destruction of the Earth.
    Lovecraft, cannot comment - I never liked horror. Except one rainy family vacation in the mountains my brothers and I all fought over a Stephen King short story book, stealing it from each other, and it was so strangely fascinating. SLI brother and I would talk about the stories. But after that I always avoided it. My SLI's SEE daughter loves horror, and my SLI is okay with it but doesn't love it like she does (they used to watch it together). And more than one friend who is German likes horror. Must be those fairy tales... But I am the Negativist who likes positive things; things that are true and right and beautiful.

Back to the first point, yes, its applicable outside Christian theology. But doubtless therein lies the answer to what all our seeking. Those who seek truth truly seek Him who is truth. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, the light".

St. Augustine of Hippo, back in 400A.D., said, " "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."

They both said a lot of other amazing things, too.

St. Augustine in Wikiquote: here

McKenna -- speaking of philosohers, I enjoyed today watching a debate between the greats of two different era's, St. Augustine vs. Jean-Jacques Rousseau on Saints vs. Scoundrals today. Rousseau's brilliant but faulty thought has shaped a lot of what we see today. In this debate Augustine did a great job pointing out holes. Looking forward to part two.

When you think about the universe being so old and so complicated, it makes sense why Jesus said, in a recent locution I read (and reread), addressing athesists of today, who love Science. Maybe you will find it intersting.:

"The body of
    knowledge on earth at this time, while
    exciting for you, is miniscule when seen
    against the light of the full truth that you
    will be allowed to explore in heaven. I bless
    all science of good will. God has been
    merciful in the extreme through science.
    Many men have studied science and been
    brought to a profound respect for the
    Creator through the knowledge they have
    gained. They will continue this study in
    heaven, of course, and be blessed even
    more. Additionally, many men who study
    science have served their family, humanity,
    profoundly through their cooperation with
    Me in their studies. Do you understand?
    They cooperate with God and God, through
    that cooperation, blesses humanity. It is
    arrogance on the part of mankind to
    believe that they have discovered anything
    that I did not wish for them to discover"

>>>>>>>>>

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I intend to be selfish and greedy until the day I die....

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Holon @Eliza Thomason

I absolutely love horror. I get a little turned off by excessive gore in movies, but I love the whole atmosphere and putting myself in the story and exploring certain themes about life and unearthing deepest fears, especially at night when all is quiet and there's fog outside my window, lol. Stephen King was my favorite growing up, but once I hit college I was all about the science, creating art, and non-fiction. Now that the dust has settled, I've been catching up on my buddy Stephen. I just finished reading a book by Shirley Jackson who is said to have influenced him as well as Lovecraft, who is the next author I plan on reading after I finish reading theTalisman. There is a new collection of his complete works that just came out, which I'm pretty exited about getting.
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-...=9781631060014
    I'm completely sold by design on the case, lol.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have no idea why we are here. It seems that life sucks sometimes with all the pain and the suffering that goes on around us. But, if you're fortunate enough, life can be quite amazing, sometimes for years! Tonight, I was driving home and the sky was clear and I could see the countless stars in the sky, and I couldn't help but feel in awe of it all. It all is very beautiful; life is really beautiful. I know that religion itself seems like it's out of date now-a-days, and there are way too many to choose from, but I can't help but feel that all of this was the work of a Creator, God, Brahma, Allah, the universe itself, whatever. I think the main concept is that we all came from something greater than ourselves and we will return to that something when we die. I can't understand why people are so cruel to one another in the short time we do have here. I guess we just don't see things under the same light.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mfckr View Post
    fuck bitches get money
    goddammit you beat me to it.

I said this in my in Intro to Humanities Class at my blue blood mannered college I have no business being at.

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how indifferent the Universe is to us.
    "Of what import are brief, nameless lives...to Galactus??"

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    Rousseau's brilliant but faulty thought has shaped a lot of what we see today.

I never liked horror...but I am the Negativist who likes positive things; things that are true and right and beautiful.
    You're understating the importance of Hobbes and Montesquieu. Without the rule of law and a system of checks and balances, Rousseau's good intentions release back into the freedom of the natural state...and the brutality of the Darwinian jungle.

I like horror quite a bit- and I think it can be true, and if not beautiful, then sublime (which in my mind is more valuable then the beautiful). The moral of Saw, plainly stated at the end of the movie, is to appreciate one's blessings. It presents a smorgasbord of dehumanizing experiences which leave the viewer much more appreciative of their comforts by the time the credits roll- and, the magic thing about it is, it manages to turn a banal and insipid platitude into to something with weight, without a hint of maudlin mawkishness. Sometimes you have to pass through the crucible of hell before you can appreciate God's love. Saw aims for that same gut punch as when a drug addict recounts his path through the dark wood before he was saved at a Baptist revival. Halloween could easily be read as warning against prematurely opening the Pandora's box of sexuality, and Alien 3 sees a monastery at the end of the universe try to withstand an onslaught from the Devil. These are interesting moral questions, and sometimes they can't be adequately explored when you're using kid gloves.

Perhaps it's just my Catholic upbringing...

Attachment 4253

Attachment 4254
    Last edited by Whoobie77; 09-17-2014 at 07:45 AM.