Thread: motorcycles

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default motorcycles

so hey everybody it's been forever since i've been here. miss this forum and decided to check in with all of you... :-)

so i started riding a year ago and am amazed by how much i love this sport. thinking about typing other people who are into it....infpman loves it too, as did the ex husband (SLE), who's since moved on to a convertible sports car "it's just a toy". for me it boils down to 3 things: freedom, adventure, empowerment. love the feel of the bike at different speeds, love talking to other bikers, love all the different aromas you sense riding a bike, love how the wind blast scours off my stressful day.....here's a pic that gives a sense.....hopefully this uploads off my work computer.

zander bliss.png

anyway does anybody here ride? do you love it? why? is it type related? ;-)

haha

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always wanted to ride a motorbike, but I've never found the time to do anything about it.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delta's version:
    I have a 125cc scooter. It doesn't require shifting (it's twist and go) and does 60mph.

Buggy is the 125cc scooter. Named so because of the song that goes "Some times you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug." And boy, did I often feel like a bug trying not to hit someone's windshield.
    (Twiggy is the kickscooter. Great exercise, good transportation, gets lotsa stares, lol.)

A lot of non-motorcyclist people think of these things as toys, but they are lighter than motorcycles which makes them more dangerous when a bastard driver in a truck decides to play wind games with you, because the wind will literally lift you up off the road enough to lose traction, then suddenly plops you down. And face it, an accident at 60mph without a protective cage is still likely death, regardless of which two wheels one is on.

Some motorcyclists might initially guffaw until they see it on the road clipping along at traffic speed. (Not freeway!!) Then they give the same respect they do other motorcyclists. Especially when meeting up on an open road in the country. I've had a couple of motorcycle groups stick around and give me company on a ride. And one time, a motorcyclist going in an opposite direction saw a truck try to clip me. The motorcyclist turned right around and sped after the bastard. When I arrived at the light, there was a physical confrontation going on between the two, and a cop. Thankfully the cop let the motorcyclist go while giving the truck guy a ticket.

---

As for typing motorcyclists as Se, there is more to a choice to ride a motorized two wheeler than speed/risk. I chose a scooter because of the awesome miles per gallon and because I felt it would be a more environmentally sustainable choice for myself than buying a car.

My scooter has other benefits for me. The sitting position. I have bad carpal tunnel and cannot use my hands/wrists to bear any weight, so needed an upright position. The motorcycles that allowed that were way way too f'n expensive for me. The price was just right for borrowing from family and paying back over a couple of years.

The cons are how much it friggin rains here. Also the road which I have no choice to drive on is dangerous for two wheelers, motorized or not. Too many fucking assholes trying to run bicylists off the road...and me and my "toy"scooter. And the twist-n-go hurts my right wrist when doing a long ride, due to the pressure I have to keep on it, and my carpal problem. I hadn't realized the extent it would have caused problems.

With all that said, Buggy has been sitting in the shed for a few years. After my spine did whatever the hell it did, and I had to relearn how to sit up and walk, etc (not scooter related), I have been unwilling to ride her because if something happens, an accident or whatever, a) My spine is still bad enough that I couldn't guarantee getting someplace helpful, and b) after losing mobility for a couple of years, and being on reduced mobility, I am not willing to lose what I've regained! That is such a scary thought for me. But since moving into town, I've considered having a motorcycle neighbor fix her up for me because even with my spine and carpal issues, she'd be great for puttering around town here.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    Hell yeah, here's a pic of me on my Ducati

Just kidding... It's not mine.
    can't see the pic but that's awesome....i know people who are incredibly loyal to that model of bike. rock on!

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I've mentioned before, I think driving motorcycles is typically related to Se-valuing. My dad is ISTj, and he loves riding motorcycles, bungee-jumping, and skydiving, and other extreme things. I'm more risk averse. Not really into any of it. Just a 'boring' Delta.

Of course there are exceptions to everything, but the theme of Se-valuing types loving it seems to be common, imho.
    could be something to the Se valuing for sure. the risk/power aspect. i've always wanted to jump out of an airplane, too. there's a rush from facing your fears and conquering them, a feeling of empowerment, that you can do anything you set your mind to. i've seen some Si valuers who seem to enjoy bikes a lot too!
    @anndelise: that's awesome...bet it won't be long before you advance to a bigger bike, too!

ILE

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've mentioned before, I think driving motorcycles is typically related to Se-valuing. My dad is ISTj, and he loves riding motorcycles, bungee-jumping, and skydiving, and other extreme things. I'm more risk averse. Not really into any of it. Just a 'boring' Delta.
    LSI would jump off a cliff if you told them to. Reliable people...

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

I've been thinking lately that owning a bike would be pretty cool. It's not gonna happen anytime soon, though.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would "Like" this post, but my dad is LSI. So Betas aren't completely useless, besides giving birth to amazing Deltas.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    It's actually not my bike, haha. But yeah, my SLE ex was obsessed with Ducati's. They're really fast, I remember going over 110 mph. Really stupid, but the rush was amazing.

I would love to own a motorcycle, but... eh, not a good idea for me.
    yeah baby.....the RUSH. lol awesome

well, someday believe me you'll get a bike....hmmmmmm what kind? :-)

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    I've been thinking lately that owning a bike would be pretty cool. It's not gonna happen anytime soon, though.
    i can totally see it. what bike?? and if not now, when???

ILE

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    i can totally see it. what bike?? and if not now, when???
    Probably a Harley or an Indian Chief, nothing too fancy. Just a good cruiser for fartin' around town.

I dunno when. I have to get my license back first, which is gonna take me a while, lol. I'm kind of nervous about actually learning to ride a motorcycle, though. I don't want to die.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CP I took the safety class - helps, you get a waiver for the DMV road test and can get your license more easily. Helped me to practice in my neighborhood for a few weeks before venturing out on the busier roads. I hear you though....scary at first, ultimately thrilling. Get a good bike to learn on....save your Harley cash for after you're confident.

ILE

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My SLE boyfriend lives and breathes for motorcycles and I have to admit that riding along the LA coast on his bike was absolutely amazing.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    My SLE boyfriend lives and breathes for motorcycles and I have to admit that riding along the LA coast on his bike was absolutely amazing.
    i'm tellin ya....it's the beauty way to go

ILE