Thread: How you perceive the world

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default How you perceive the world

The purpose of this thread is for everyone to get an understanding of other types and how they look at everyday life. I'll start with how I look at things and I'd like for you guys to post how you look at the world as well.

I feel like I live in my head at times as there are always concepts and ideas that I learned in the past being attached to everything going on around me. It could be a couple in the street, a homeless person, basically literally anything. Those concepts and ideas help me make sense of the world. I guess you could say that's on overdrive. Most of the ideas are mostly applied to people as a result of my . The way I see it everyone's behavior is not a coincidence and is a direct result of their experiences and their psychological makeup given to them by sheer chance. I never stop learning and continuously add new knowledge from positive and negative experiences. I'm told that I don't pay much attention to my surroundings by dominants, but I do it in a very conceptual sense of how things are as opposed to how they actually are.
    Last edited by Raver; 07-26-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See my signature
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Predictable Ashton, posting obscene pictures in a deliberate attempt to kill a thread....
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already made a post about it, but I may as well say it again.

When I'm not actively processing information, like staring off into space, my eyes will automatically orient themselves so that the raw information they're receiving in their field of vision, when taken as a whole, is the most 'pleasing.' What counts as pleasing seems to be determined by the combination of colors and shapes that my eyes are picking up. I'm not so much focusing on objects individually as I am just taking in everything at once.

I guess that's not so much how I perceive "the world" as much as how I perceive everything.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Predictable Ashton, posting obscene pictures in a deliberate attempt to kill a thread....
    Why are you discriminating against my perception of the world?
    Haha, you're either telling the truth or very cunning.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answering the question "how I perceive the world is tricky," given how general it is, however I have a natural tendency to withdraw into myself and reflect over whatever is going on around me or what I have recently learnt. People will often note how I seem to go into staring fits, causing them to frequently ask what I'm looking at. The truth is that I am not looking at anything, but rather have gone into thought and have merely lost focus on what is going on around me. This is not always my mode of operations, however, as I can often go into a very externally aware mode of perception, where I take upon the demands that are brought upon myself. This is not an active mode I take, however, and is most often merely how I operate when I am in an obviously task oriented situation, such as work. I normally perceive matters through what I am thinking about, and often have a lens of perception that is ultimately tied to whatever subject matter seems to be of most interest to me at the time, whether it be an idea I recently learnt, or how people seem to be behaving and how it is effecting me, all ultimately depending on the environment I'm in at the time. I suppose ultimately my mode of perception is not ubiquitous in nature, but rather very variable depending on what is around me. It is rather my attitude and general sentiments that tend to be much more stable and universal.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    Answering the question "how I perceive the world is tricky," given how general it is, however I have a natural tendency to withdraw into myself and reflect over whatever is going on around me or what I have recently learnt. People will often note how I seem to go into staring fits, causing them to frequently ask what I'm looking at. The truth is that I am not looking at anything, but rather have gone into thought and have merely lost focus on what is going on around me. This is not always my mode of operations, however, as I can often go into a very externally aware mode of perception, where I take upon the demands that are brought upon myself. This is not an active mode I take, however, and is most often merely how I operate when I am in an obviously task oriented situation, such as work. I normally perceive matters through what I am thinking about, and often have a lens of perception that is ultimately tied to whatever subject matter seems to be of most interest to me at the time, whether it be an idea I recently learnt, or how people seem to be behaving and how it is effecting me, all ultimately depending on the environment I'm in at the time. I suppose ultimately my mode of perception is not ubiquitous in nature, but rather very variable depending on what is around me. It is rather my attitude and general sentiments that tend to be much more stable and universal.
    Sounds pretty Ti to me.

I also have those bouts of staring fits, but they're based within myself as opposed to being directly pertinent to the world around me. Like when I'm struck with some unique emotion, I tend to completely stop and sink into that feeling, perhaps looking to understand it further so I can understand the external situation that triggered it. I think I can break myself out of those moments, but lots of times I don't even want to because that feeling will be the highest priority.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How I perceive the world? I have nothing to compare it to. The world is pretty much what it looks like. It's mostly nouns.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    How I perceive the world? I have nothing to compare it to. The world is pretty much what it looks like. It's mostly nouns.
    You'll have to answer to Buckminster Fuller.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister
    I live on Earth at present, and I don't know what I am. I know that I am not a category. I am not a thing — a noun. I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process — an integral function of the universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckman
    God, to me, it seems is a verb, not a noun, proper or improper.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    A verb? No, not a verb. That's stupid.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I tried posting something, but you summed up a large amount of my worldview a lot more concisely than I would have

I'm a bit further than that - if I detect a concept, I'll try as best as possible to demystify it and bolt it down to the strictly physical; I can't seem to go in the other direction quite as well though. I also wonder how much "strictly physical" is outside the range of my perceptions, I figure there's a lot, and I want to find it...

I also think the world will go into the future in a set manner, whatever that might precisely be, for as long as sentient beings don't willfully and awarely act upon it...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

A noun is a person, place or thing, right? A verb is an action. I am a person, not an action. A person is not an action. A spinning wheel is not a vegetable and I am not a verb.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    NG human sorcerer
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a very broad question, so do you have anything more specific you want to know? I'll just throw out some immediate things that come to mind.

I feel like a sponge in a sense that I'm constantly gathering information and filtering it through principles or truths that I've constructed over the years, mostly through inductive reasoning. I'm sort of vigilant against accepting data without finding a proper place for it first. When I say "data," I mean all kinds--like scientific facts, people's internal makeup, cultural values, cause and effect relationships, etc. These analyses lead to frequent reevaluations of the aforementioned principles when faced with conflicting pieces of information or values. Sometimes, it's impossible to categorize though, and that can be annoying. *nerd alert* For example, I recently watched an episode of Star Trek TNG when Picard had the opportunity to kill all the Borg, but he decided it was unethical. I wrestled with this a lot, and ultimately decided that I didn't think it was ethical or unethical to do so. Fuck. I like knowing the answers.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, that's quite hard to answer. Might have something to do with my extreme extroversion. I don't feel like there is much of a filter between me and the outside world. When I'm really busy, I perceive the flow of events as a sequence of tasks; when I'm trying to concentrate very hard, I try to perceive the causal core of what goes around me, although it's generally quite a hard task.
    Last edited by FDG; 07-26-2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A noun is a person, place or thing, right? A verb is an action. I am a person, not an action. A person is not an action. A spinning wheel is not a vegetable and I am not a verb.
    you're always in motion though, always actively shifting from one state of being to another, which is what verbs represent, thus you're a noun and a verb at the same time

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    you're always in motion though, always actively shifting from one state of being to another, which is what verbs represent, thus you're a noun and a verb at the same time
    No, I'm a noun who verbs.
    Also, I'm not necessarily always in motion. I may roll around when I sleep, but I can stand still with a blank mind for ten minutes or so. I did it a few times last week.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How I perceive the world? I have nothing to compare it to.

I'd need a specific situation to answer this.
    N-EII ~~~ 6>1 sp/so ~~~ INFJ

No type is smarter, better, more difficult to handle, or harder to be than another.

Personality theory doesn’t predict what a person will think or do.

Any type in one theory can be any type in another.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that's a broad question. Is there any particular essence you're targeting?

My perception of the world is that it is material, natural, emergent, economic, awesome, indifferent, uncertain, evolving, scary, fun, mutable, and very, very big.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I perceive it as is, just like everybody else.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scientific. Reality is real. A rock is a rock. It's an objective feature of space. You can touch it or shoot complex (like a bullet) or simple projectiles at it (like an electron), and it can't be proven to not exist as an objective part of the universe.

Anything that can't be sensed can be reasoned about. Ghosts don't exist, for instance. They're just artefacts of our erstwhile natures, evolutionary relics in our cognition that alert us to dangerous areas or see faces or forms in the darkness. (Though I guess this is like saying hudurr, subjective mistakes are still mistaken interpretations of objective things like a lack of light or a psychogenic visual disturbances.)

One thing where I see people getting tripped up is confusing the subjectivity of the brain's language for the objectivity of subject-independent reality.
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

TIM
    C-IEE Ne (862)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I agree with Crispy. I perceive the world as how it is. In some cases, I perceive the world as how it should be or how it could be and either try to take steps to enact change or say, "sucks it's that way" and move on.

IEE Ne Creative Type

Some and role lovin too. () I too...
    !!!!!!

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I agree that's a broad question. Is there any particular essence you're targeting?
    What I'm looking for in this thread is people stating how their socionics type influences how they perceive the world. For instance, of course there are general mundane things that everyone sees similar. However, I'm talking about how your type would influence you in making sense of the world.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

Haha, you're either telling the truth or very cunning.
    You have no right to doubt my sincerity.
    he has every right to doubt your sincerity, and every right to judge you based on your answer to the question.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are astonishingly literal-minded.

Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

The concept that a human perceives the world as it is is laughable.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nil View Post
    The concept that a human perceives the world as it is is laughable.
    I agree, that was the main idea of my perception thread in anything goes.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aestrivex View Post

You have no right to doubt my sincerity.
    he has every right to doubt your sincerity, and every right to judge you based on your answer to the question.
    wtf

TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree. Raw sensation is perception of the world as it is. The more forms of raw sensation (including incorporating machine measurements) employed, the closer we get to having a complete picture of reality. I suppose this is just a quibble over what "the world as it is" means, though.

The interpretations we make are where we become abstracted from objective reality. That said, it's a useless and trivial technicality (IMO, Ni PoLR speaking) to say that we're not perceiving reality as it is.

The only difference between visual garble and comprehensible vision is that the latter incorporates drawing boundaries between objects and assigning known categories to them (like "chair", "body", "face").
    Know I'm mistyped?

Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

Creepy-male

My Cynical View of the World
    Fuck the world before it fucks you

The world is a giant shit sandwich and everyone has to take a bite, you have two options to make it more survivable....

get a lot of bread or convince someone else to take your share

My Idealistic View of the World

Happiness isn't conserved but created-- growth, evolution, awaking, and development is possible at no cost other than time

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_law

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The world looks so much better through the eyes of LSD, hop on the crazy train and see things for what they really are. The salt flats of Utah helps a little I guess, the tastiest salt ever!!!

EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at it as a bunch of disingenuous people out to gain petty advantages of all varieties, and their personalities are mostly shaped by that.
    A noun is a person, place or thing, right? A verb is an action. I am a person, not an action. A person is not an action.
    relativity fail, you're defined by your actions
    A spinning wheel is not a vegetable and I am not a verb.
    spinning wheel... vegetable...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratsshadow View Post
    relativity fail, you're defined by your actions
    I act like a person.

Crazy IEI...

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    Sounds pretty Ti to me.

I also have those bouts of staring fits, but they're based within myself as opposed to being directly pertinent to the world around me. Like when I'm struck with some unique emotion, I tend to completely stop and sink into that feeling, perhaps looking to understand it further so I can understand the external situation that triggered it. I think I can break myself out of those moments, but lots of times I don't even want to because that feeling will be the highest priority.
    The bolded part actually reminds me of attentional spotlight theory, and is perhaps fairly universal. However I admit that I may well be missing something in style, focus or tone.
    IEE-Ne

Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I look at it as a bunch of disingenuous people out to gain petty advantages of all varieties, and their personalities are mostly shaped by that.
    Agreed.

The world is a mostly boring, increasingly predictable place where the stimulating things require too much effort for me to bother with them. So I just gather insights. Maybe I got some intestinal parasite sucking away all my energy. Who knows. Man is the measure of all things. Non of my experiences can be dissociated from me, thus I am the measure of all things.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I perceive the world as a seemingly endless, fluid sequence of events - both implicit and explicit. Each individual movement or element within an environment just sort of 'flows'...
    Last edited by suedehead; 03-04-2014 at 03:12 PM.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ath View Post
    The world is a mostly boring, increasingly predictable place where the stimulating things require too much effort for me to bother with them. .
    That might be your part of the world. Take a trip, Ath. Seriously.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin