Thread: Types and Literacy (Grammar, Spelling)

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and Literacy (Grammar, Spelling)

are some types more preoccupied with being literate, proper grammar and correct spelling, than others?
    which types would these be?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

well the stereotype seems to be Ti leads nitpickey this way which I not.

See if you can spot my errors!
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    well the stereotype seems to be Ti leads nitpickey this way which I not.

See if you can spot my errors!
    Let's see the errors:

Well, the stereotype seems to be that Ti leads can be / are nitpicky in this way, which I am not(alternatively: ..., I am not like that).

Corrections in RED.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nondescript View Post
    Let's see the errors:

Well, the stereotype seems to be that Ti leads can be / are nitpicky in this way, which I am not(alternatively: ..., I am not like that).

Corrections in RED.
    Thank you. This concludes that ESIs are the picky types about this.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chips and underwear View Post
    Thank you. This concludes that ESIs are the picky types about this.
    My ESI Mom had a brief career as an English teacher before she had us 4 kids... and she corrected our grammar all the time... and I did not like having my words interrupted with a pointed correction, replete with a grammatical explanation of the error, as if that took precedence over what I had to say. So with my son, I avoided correcting him directly - I just repeated it back the right way, without emphasizing it (as if that was what he'd said).
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It makes me feel stupid.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm like Eliza, I get annoyed when people focus on the grammar and not on what is being said. Makes me wonder if I'm really an ILI since I don't really care about exact grammatical accuracy, unless the grammar is so bad it's utterly unreadable.
    Last edited by uncivilized; 09-17-2015 at 06:13 PM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    I'm like Eliza, I get annoyed when people focus on the grammar and not on what is being said. Makes me wonder if I'm really an ILI since I don't really care about exact grammatical accuracy unless the grammar is so bad it's utterly unreadable.
    Yeah ditto. And being toooo grammatically perfect does make ppl sound stuffy and pedantic. Sometimes one might
    might want to sound that way though, for effect

It also depends what kind of image one wants to project. Past a certain point poor grammar can make one sound uneducated which in certain settings might be less appropriate than others.

Of course autocorrect has rewritten some of these dynamics in recent times.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

the three people I recall who would do this were of types SLI, ESE, and IEE
    I felt like to the SLI it really mattered, this kind of precision. He couldn't stand carelessness and slacking, and this was somehow tied into his passion for accuracy in writing.
    the ESE would do this when she couldn't come up with an argument or find something else to comment on
    the IEE wanted to "sound professional" and felt like she wasn't being taken seriously, so she would dive into formality

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    the ESE would do this when she couldn't come up with an argument or find something else to comment on
    Interesting, this is actually how i interpret people nitpicking grammar. It makes me think they just don't have anything else to comment on. (unless it's a writing class or something).

Also when people do that, it's disrupting to the general flow of thoughts and ambience.

I personally may make note of generally poor grammar (and perhaps make assumptions about the person's educational level or perhaps wonder if english is their second language), but i wont necessarily go out of my way to correct people, unless there is some altered meaning that is being unintentionally conveyed, in which case i might clarify. The exception to that might be if the person asked me to correct them or help them with their English.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nondescript View Post
    Let's see the errors:

Corrections in RED.
    I would argue that can be/are is not as correct as dropping the y off of nitpick. Condensing info into less words makes for better writing.
    "Well, the stereotype seems to be that Ti leads nitpick. I am not like that."
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    ESI 684
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I would argue that can be/are is not as correct as dropping the y off of nitpick. Condensing info into less words makes for better writing.
    "Well, the stereotype seems to be that Ti leads nitpick. I am not like that."
    Eh, now THIS is the difference in thinking and perception of the world! I've been waiting for this so long.

Both mine and yours are correct. What it comes down to are tastes. I had to read yours 2-3 times to understand the "Ti leads nitpick" part.Which has nothing with understanding english and everything with outlook on the world. I always pretty much prefer detailed stuff.