Thread: How my SEI/ISFp sister described her emotions to me. Anyone relate?

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How my SEI/ISFp sister described her emotions to me. Anyone relate?

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting, I would put most stuff head area.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, every emotion (Fe) has a physical experience attached to it (Si). If you increase your sensitivity you will become more aware of this.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Yeah, every emotion (Fe) has a physical experience attached to it (Si). If you increase your sensitivity you will become more aware of this.
    I dunno if it is Si or whatever, but "my Si" doesn't want to read Fe emotion stuff from body. To be more precise, it reads some Fe states okayish in nice holistically perceived states if I try enough but they are never located in the body directly.

I don't know if anyone else is like this.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, here's one (imo) interesting article on that:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-our-emotions/

So many common idioms relate to the physical feelings of emotions too like:

lump in your throat
    knot in your stomach
    heart aching
    butterflies in stomach etc.

Also, with the emotional disorder alexithymia there's a deficit in being aware of physical sensations which is connected with their difficulty with emotions.

I wonder if you get in the habit of ignoring great physical discomfort (times of great stress and hardship, war etc) this helps in numbing the emotional too. It's certainly easier to function in difficult situations without emotions interfering. Part of purposefully turning off your emotions does lie in ignoring your body's sensations imo. I think it's all very interesting.
    Last edited by squark; 07-22-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: removing edit heh

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can relate. I always feel emotions in my body. Anger is the most hard to stand. The manifestation of it is most like the disgust figure, I bet the anger represented in there its more like rage.I'm most of the times in neutral with bursts of happiness; I've never felt envy or pride as in the picture; but I felt pretty often something that I think is common on SLI (not sure the rest of types), like boredom or lack of enthusiasm/bother (gloomy?)... Its reflected on my head, eyes and in body as tiredness, I'd add it in blue color.
    Also there are emotions on that diagram that I've never felt...like envy and... contempt?
    Having feelings manifested in your body is as bad as it sounds, its really draining and double suffering (emotional and physical).
    Last edited by Hope; 07-22-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Alexithymia is a condition where emotions of body are sometimes mixed with bodily disorders.

Never had this problem. I tend to have problems describing variation of intensities in parts of my body registering them all at once or recalling them.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My emotions:

Anger: Tension throughout body, jaw clenching, more rigid posture, someone once commented that I seem to "get much bigger" when I'm angry, and the tension does seem to push outward from me - I take up more space

Sad: Drooping, wilting feeling, lack of energy

Emotional Pain/Hurt: Pain in my heart, bruised and aching, like it's been thrown hard against the wall, choking sensation in throat making it hard to breathe, sometimes so bad it feels like my heart might just stop beating, or I might suffocate

Great happiness: A welling up feeling, like a rising throughout chest and throat, sometimes a kind of tension in the face around cheeks and eyes, and rawness in throat like you get right before you cry, like the saying "so happy I could cry"

Calm contentment: A kind of warm solid feeling in center, quite literally "feeling centered"

Embarrassment: Entirely head-centered as the blood rushes to my face and thoughts turn inward

Disgust: Stomach-churning sensation, nausea, physical step backwards away from cause

Fear: Tension like with anger, but in the opposite direction, drawing inward, becoming smaller

Anticipation: An inner trembling mixed if positive with the feelings of happiness, and if negative with the feelings of fear, and sometimes a kind of bracing of self to prepare - rigidifying body
    Last edited by squark; 07-22-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was so insightful to understand how functions might work.. and the whole system of any psychological theory, but it can as well be related to any system on earth. Open systems, that is. In a constant internal-external communication and exchange with everything else. The more in tune we are with our own body system, as well as with the flux of the world around, the better, but there's not really a limit between the two, idealistically. Yes, we are defined, I am me, you are you, Bertrand is Bertrand, but we're all influencing each other, everything plays even when we don't perceive/recognize the tune... It's this interconnection of the elements that make them possible, and the connection wouldn't be possible if the elements were not there. A dog eating its own tail, but it couldn't if it didn't have one, and if it didn't want to chase it.

It looks like the more we spyral throughout this consciousness/unconsciousness, an automatic mode, intertwined with our senses, the more we lose a sense for what's outside of this mode, our own. The more we define ourselves, the more we lose contact with the world around, that is actually as important to define us because we take a value and a scope, thanks to this interaction.

And how can we control those feelings? If they're the ones that determine for us what we feel and experience, in the body too? Brain reprogramming looks possible, but even very hard to achieve, as someone here said "repetition creates attitudes", or as someone else way back said " a man character is his destiny".

Buddhism, meditation, and the practices of detachment seem handy in this... how to control feelings (I should start doing it more often).

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of the time I feel the physical reaction at the first place and the emotion comes later if at all, when it comes to imidiate situations. I suck at dealing with sudden "in the moment" feelings, they always go into my stomach rather then my head.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Alexithymia is not a deficit about awareness of physical sensations, many alexithymics sense their physical sensations fine but they do not register them as emotions. So, the core deficit is about emotional awareness with inability to identify feelings. And in some way that can cause psychosomatic issues, so that's how it's "mixed" with bodily disorders.

I do somewhat relate to this core deficit in alexithymia though I improved on it with practice but I don't relate to the issue of sensing physical sensations without registering them as emotions when they are supposedly actual emotions. I just register feelings without linking them to my body. And, I'm pretty sure that if I have a physical sensation it's usually not an emotion but about my physical state (but maybe I'm just in denial lol - seriously though, they often really are verifiably about physical states).

So whatever perception I have of feelings, it's probably very different from how other people see them in actual body.

Otoh, I somehow do imagine it would be a pita having to deal with emotion in body so I don't mind not having that.

Reading on, it's interesting how anger got described by some here. Some were saying that anger is the hardest emotion to stand, otoh I find anger the easiest emotion to tolerate, maybe mostly because I don't focus on the emotional side of it, more on the aggressive (instrumental) side of it. Also, for me real full anger (no, not necessarily rage) is more expansive than just rigid tension, I call that version a somewhat repressed form of anger, not fully expressed.

What got me the most surprised was descriptions of contentment and fear, lol. Just so different from my own experience, which of course doesn't mean any of the differing experiences are not valid.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Interesting because I used to meditate by imagining I was converting an orange substance into blue and breathing it out when I needed to lessen anxiety. Wonder why there's only two colors? And I definitely experience emotions in my body.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Interesting because I used to meditate by imagining I was converting an orange substance into blue and breathing it out when I needed to lessen anxiety. Wonder why there's only two colors? And I definitely experience emotions in my body.
    From the abstract:
    "In five experiments, participants (n = 701) were shown two silhouettes of bodies alongside emotional words, stories, movies, or facial expressions. They were asked to color the bodily regions whose activity they felt increasing or decreasing while viewing each stimulus."

The full paper is linked in the op if you'd like to know more.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Well, your sister seems autistic

TIM
    ZGM
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

very interesting article! @squark i read an article a while back about panic/learning/comfort zones. the comfort zone is where most of us operate. it's easy but no noteworthy progress can be made there, whereas the panic zone immobilizes us. it's when we attempt a goal that extends so far beyond our reach that we panic and retreat. the learning zone is tucked between the comfort and panic zones, it's neither so far away that we panic nor close enough that it's too easy. the problem lies in us setting lofty goals and being so discouraged by the aftermath that we retreat into the comfort zone and we mistake that single failure for a total failure, as an inability to change at all, rather than it simply being our cue to readjust the target. unfortunately the line between the two zones is blurrier for those struggling with more severe types of anxiety and/or insecurity where everything feels beyond their reach.

i've read quite a few articles on dissociation and its ties with different types of trauma, even ptsd, specifically in childhood. some of those who struggle with dissociation, as a coping mechanism, will dissociate whenever they're confronted by "triggers" that they've (sub)consciously associated with past traumas, even slightly-louder-than-average noises can be enough to cause them to retreat into themselves as a method to cope with the present.

TIM
    LSI-Se
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel them. Mostly in the solar plexus area. I feel nervous in my stomach, I feel anger and betrayal in my chest, anxiety in my head, etc.
    LSI-Se 836 Sp/Sx

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Well, your sister seems autistic
    What lol?! She's not. And either way, its better than being necrophilic. Creep.

TIM
    Type FML
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me anxiety feels like my veins are poisoned black and boiling. I literally feel my veins on fire.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your sister wrote that? Woah.

I agree with the premise that emotions are felt in parts of the body, however I cannot really say much to the specifics. I mostly have feelings in my head. Otherwise, it is pain or pleasure.

One thing I am aware of is the feeling at the back of the neck that comes with relief or surprise, better described as catharsis. It at times is known as the chills down your back. My band teacher made me take notice, and yes, it does exist. I'm also sure intense fear would also lead to a physical reaction due to the chemicals released.

Otherwise, with me, it is usually the other way around, my physical state drives emotion. For example, if I don't drink water, I get a headache, which leads to an altered emotional state. It's the mind body spirit connection thing, although spirit is usually lumped into mind.

I think the picture is not detailed enough, as it excludes front and back differences.
    Last edited by Alomoes; 10-18-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. If I put in much thought into explaining my emotions...yeah they'd be something like this. A bunch of colors in distinct areas all over the body. So glad something vague and possibly nonexistent isn't on this list, like "love".