Thread: Rich People More Likely to Take Lollies From Children

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Rich People More Likely to Take Lollies From Children

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-2...-study/3856172

People from wealthy backgrounds are more likely than poorer people to break laws while driving, take lollies from children, and lie for financial gain, a United States study says.

"I was astonished," Dr Piff said. "On average, people in the upper rank condition took two times as much, so it was a pretty sizeable effect."

Also, in that particular study, researchers conditioned some of the subjects first to think of themselves as of a higher social rank by asking them to compare themselves to others with less.

The exercise showed that people could be trained to think more highly of themselves, and that they would in turn act with more greed and less ethicality, demonstrating that status drives greed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These psychology studies are such a waste of research money. The conclusions they reach, to the extent the conclusion is not obvious, is meaningless.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I definitely don't think the idea of rich people being more prone to certain criminal behaviors would be obvious to everyone.

Also I like when things that are obvious to me intuitively are "proven."

Creepy-Snaps

On average this may be true, but I sometimes don't like the implication with these studies, that all rich people are greedy or nasty. Most people who climb the corporate pyramid step on others, but there are business owners who are very generous, who become rich by truly helping other people, having a great name.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazedratPULSE View Post
    These psychology studies are such a waste of research money. The conclusions they reach, to the extent the conclusion is not obvious, is meaningless.
    re whats left of your edited post, yeah i think i agree. i'm not sure what the point is. i don't think i'm any better off after reading it except for a brief moment of satisfaction haha.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    On average this may be true, but I sometimes don't like the implication with these studies, that all rich people are greedy or nasty. Most people who climb the corporate pyramid step on others, but there are business owners who are very generous, who become rich by truly helping other people, having a great name.
    moral: don't assume every high income person will steal your candy. noted.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy rat, I liked the original post, not the edited one. Change it back.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

fuck the greedy rich!

i could believe its biased though if i could be shown how that would be done within the boundaries of the study, or why the researchers would care.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm well I think there is a thought process among some wealthy people that they are wealthy because they are more deserving, and I can see that leading to some of this. Some people who are wealthy are so because of hard work and planning, but there are a lot of hard working planners who don't have much, and there are an awful lot of people with money who only have it because they were born to people with money. I don't believe wealthy people are more deserving as often as they are just lucky.

Also, if you've ever tried to get money for charities, I promise that people without a lot of money generally give more than people with money.

I feel funny answering this though because I imagine I qualify as "people with money" but whatever. I'm afraid to post in threads about money for fear I'll be called a spoiled princess or something.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    Because it's politically popular to bash 'the rich', and lots of research money comes from the government.
    i'm thinking both.

it seems obvious to me that a culture that gets what they want and feels entitled will act more selfish. (and i don't see how that would be hard for people to accept when so many people accept that there are cultures that promote crime/welfare/etc.)

and i also don't think its unreasonable to figure the study is biased, cuz i don't really see any point to a study like that in the first place, like rat said.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I feel funny answering this though because I imagine I qualify as "people with money" but whatever. I'm afraid to post in threads about money for fear I'll be called a spoiled princess or something.
    hah whatever, i bitch but i'm an american and wealthier than most of the people in the world.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GUNG HO
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than likely the head researcher just has a pet interest, for whatever reason(s), in studying this sort of thing. And managed to get funding from his Uni to carry out research on it.
    But...this isn't obvious to you? I mean I know not everyone who is rich is an asshole, but if you've dealt with people and money in the real world, seen how people can change, interacted with people from different classes, etc, I don't see how this isn't just scientific proof for something that anyone can see for themselves. It's not even about them being an asshole, either; this is just how entitlement tends to affect people. It's not a rule, by any means, but a trend? Certainly. As someone who grew up with the richest of the rich, and has lived and worked with the poorest of the poor, I promise you, these "findings" are nothing special or revolutionary or even surprising enough to comprise real "propaganda," whether it's the scientist's pet project or not. They are merely the findings of real life translated into scientific perception.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice MD said "corporate pyramid" instead of "corporate ladder."
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    I notice MD said "corporate pyramid" instead of "corporate ladder."
    it's so he can think hes at the center of the universe after climbing a few rungs.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    But...this isn't obvious to you? I mean I know not everyone who is rich is an asshole, but if you've dealt with people and money in the real world, seen how people can change, interacted with people from different classes, etc, I don't see how this isn't just scientific proof for something that anyone can see for themselves. It's not even about them being an asshole, either; this is just how entitlement tends to affect people. It's not a rule, by any means, but a trend? Certainly. As someone who grew up with the richest of the rich, and has lived and worked with the poorest of the poor, I promise you, these "findings" are nothing special or revolutionary or even surprising enough to comprise real "propaganda," whether it's the scientist's pet project or not. They are merely the findings of real life translated into scientific perception.
    yep, it's all about entitlement. I know a really rich guy who regularly attempts to get into nightclubs without paying the cover fee. Just for the challenge I suppose. It's pretty obnoxious. And I sometimes break traffic laws. One favorite is doing a u-turn. I mean, I always make sure I'm safe but it's like look, if there's nobody coming and I need to go the other way, I'm going to do it. Unless there's obviously a cop right there. I do sometimes feel like some of the laws are there for stupid people, not for me. lol At the same time I agree that it's obnoxious.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    yep, it's all about entitlement. I know a really rich guy who regularly attempts to get into nightclubs without paying the cover fee. Just for the challenge I suppose. It's pretty obnoxious. And I sometimes break traffic laws. One favorite is doing a u-turn. I mean, I always make sure I'm safe but it's like look, if there's nobody coming and I need to go the other way, I'm going to do it. Unless there's obviously a cop right there. I do sometimes feel like some of the laws are there for stupid people, not for me. lol At the same time I agree that it's obnoxious.
    Yeah. I mean you don't need science to tell you that once you've had a lot, you are only going to want more.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"A banker told me two years ago that there had been an intellectual breakthrough in understanding for the banks that changed the whole way they did business. He looked at me, his eyes widened and he said "we've found: the poor are honest!" and then he laughed uproariously as if thinking "how dumb can you be!" The belief is that the poorer you are, the more you believe as a matter of honor that you have to repay the debt that you owe. It's the opposite of Donald Trump." - Michael Hudson

http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/3805

fuck the greedy rich!
    WORD

Certainly there are exceptions, said the study, pointing to famous upper-class whistleblowers at Worldcom and Enron; and wealthy philanthropists such as Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.
    lol @ chocolate laxative philanthropy.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavoj Zizek
    There is a chocolate-flavoured laxative available on the shelves of US stores which is publicised with the paradoxical injunction: Do you have constipation? Eat more of this chocolate! – i.e. eat more of something that itself causes constipation. The structure of the chocolate laxative can be discerned throughout today’s ideological landscape; it is what makes a figure like Soros so objectionable. He stands for ruthless financial exploitation combined with its counter-agent, humanitarian worry about the catastrophic social consequences of the unbridled market economy. Soros’s daily routine is a lie embodied: half of his working time is devoted to financial speculation, the other half to ‘humanitarian’ activities (financing cultural and democratic activities in post-Communist countries, writing essays and books) which work against the effects of his own speculations. The two faces of Bill Gates are exactly like the two faces of Soros: on the one hand, a cruel businessman, destroying or buying out competitors, aiming at a virtual monopoly; on the other, the great philanthropist who makes a point of saying: ‘What does it serve to have computers if people do not have enough to eat?’

ok, enough marxist slander for one day.
    Last edited by krieger; 02-29-2012 at 03:35 AM.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Starfall;851563]idk about that.... I mean, try walking around in the hood with a $500 Louis Vuitton bag... just sayin'[/QUOTE

Ever actually TRIED that? You'd be surprised how many do if you, well...spent some time in the hood.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, average /= all.

This is probably a biased study to fan the class warfare flames.
    Ashton takes an obvious stance

This is not my only stance, but Robin Hood is pretty cool.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    It depends on where you're at. In my area people certainly don't, and if they do they're rip off brand names.

I've known gang members, ex gang members & people who lived in slummy areas. I've been told a lot of stories. I know people who've been robbed and jumped. I try to avoid them when possible, but I've been around my fair share of shady/poorer areas. Sketchy as hell. People will walk up to you, say shit and beg for money. You'll get robed if you're not careful. Definitely not a place I'd feel comfortable leaving my door unlocked.
    Well I lived in Richmond, VA for a year and a half, and it was the murder capital of the US about 4 or 5 years ago. I also currently live in Somerville, MA, which is allegedly infested with MS13, one of the most violent gangs in the world, and have spent a good bit of time in the past around the projects around Boston in Dorchester and Jamaica Plain. My girlfriend and I almost rented a place in the infamous South Boston, which is where a good bit of movies like The Departed take place. I worked in Charlestown for 6 months, the same place all those bank robbers are from (thats been gentrified though, so I guess it doesn't really count). I never felt openly unsafe anywhere I went in any of those places. Sure people will ask you for money, but you're not going to get robbed in broad daylight, or even at night, unless you wander down the wrong alley at night or do something stupid or piss somebody off. Middle class/rich people are just pussies; poor people are people too, and it's arrogant, dehumanizing, and counter-productive for society and human cooperation for people who have money to assume that they are all shady criminals waiting in the shadows with guns to rob you.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    Ew that's creepy, stop.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol this sounds like my bf. He's always been like that.
    this guy is SLE too. lol He also tries to get into movies for free. Like if the movie has already started, he'll walk up to the cashier and say "it's already going, can we just go in?" LOL WTF??

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never felt unsafe in Richmond (my sister & best friend live there. I love it) and their homeless people never bothered me. I definitely felt unsafe in down town Norfolk and some shady parts of Hampton. Only because people will actually aggressively approach and hound you repeatedly... I once got followed to my car.
    Not because of your handbag, darlin'.

Also there is a key difference here that needs to be highlighted: committing crimes and being entitled are two different things completely.

There was no part of Norfolk that I saw that was anywhere near as sketchy as projects and sketchier places in Richmond; Richmond hoods reminded me of what you see in documentaries on LA gangs and shit, lol.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could have been my handbag, you never know. I carry coach.
    Well look at you.

My main point is that the negative or scary perceptions people have of poor neighborhoods shouldn't be projected onto them being poor. That's not what it's about.

If you go to most of the rural or undeveloped parts of Africa, most of those people will take you into their homes if you need help for any random reason. This is from the mouth of someone who has been there, my father. Try doing that in Beverly Hills.

Rich people, on the other hand, are entitled no matter WHERE in the world you go.

Downtown Norfolk was way scarier for me. I never felt threatened in Richmond, ever. Even in the crappy areas. There was still crime, though. My sister had her bike stolen twice. Assholes sawed through the chains.
    idk, Norfolk struck me as more business-y and commercial than Richmond; Richmond is like dilapidated industrial shit with two main commercial centers and sprawling poor areas.

Under cerulean skies...