View Poll Results: type of Jordan Peterson?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

4 3.15%
  • SEI (ISFp)

0 0%
  • ESE (ESFj)

2 1.57%
  • LII (INTj)

22 17.32%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

9 7.09%
  • EIE (ENFj)

45 35.43%
  • LSI (ISTj)

8 6.30%
  • SEE (ESFp)

1 0.79%
  • ILI (INTp)

10 7.87%
  • LIE (ENTj)

21 16.54%
  • ESI (ISFj)

5 3.94%
  • IEE (ENFp)

1 0.79%
  • SLI (ISTp)

1 0.79%
  • LSE (ESTj)

4 3.15%
  • EII (INFj)

3 2.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Jordan Peterson

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    ... why not LSE?
    he is introverted, for one, he describes his thoughts originating from deep inside himself instead of reflecting the outside

introversion/extraversion
    introverts:
    - Psychic energy more often flows inwards.
    - More often focused on their thoughts and feelings.
    - Often better at concentrating. (he is a pro at this)

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I do relate quite a bit to the knowing if whatever you're saying makes sense or where it has room for doubt via the feeling of alignment. I thought it might be more of a introverted judgement lead thing. But possibly more common than that.
    Last edited by ouronis; 09-06-2017 at 05:31 PM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Good points It's interesting that you relate to him so much and self-type as LSI. I've listened to one of his lectures on Big 5 after which Youtube flipped to this video, the topic of which sounded resoundingly similar to Beta quadra values in socionics.
    I self-type as LSI too and I partially relate to him but probably more due to Enneagram than just sociotype. In terms of sociotype, there are quite some differences, his Ne/Ni is might stronger than mine so that throws me off but I find some of his stuff interesting - then some of it is just "bleh".

J.Peterson. "I always feel when I talk whether or not the words I'm saying are either making me aligned or making me come apart. I really do think alignment - I think alignment is the right way of coceptualizing it, if you say things as true as you can say them - then they come up, they come out of the depths inside of you."
    This is really abstract to me. I half relate and half don't. It just seems very very internally focused, like, with high Ni I guess. It does remind me of how @ouronis (LII) is, though, lol, yes.

How I would put it for myself, is, I always feel whether what I'm saying is put distinctly and precisely enough or if I could elaborate on it more to make it as unambiguous as possible, with as clear delineations of things as possible. (This is when I do actually talk longer. In many everyday situations, I keep things short and simply to the point.)

LII vs LSI, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    I do relate quite a bit to the knowing if whatever you're saying makes sense or where it has room for doubt via the feeling of alignment. I thought it might be more of a introverted judgement lead thing. But possibly more common than that.
    Yeah I don't look for doubt like you do. Alignment itself makes sense in terms of what I said about precision, lack of ambiguity, distinctness.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I thought LIE, but now maybe EIE. It's difficult to decide.

Creative subtype, I think.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I go by cognition style it is dialectical-algorithmic. Strong . ILI vs EIE...
    I think he makeshift some errors regarding source material.
    For example
    https://youtu.be/hDmPZj6ym9U
    If you search material when it comes to this then you will notice lack of cross referencing regarding certain kinds of information (as it is now reduced to trash bin diagnosis where there is a lot wiggle room ie opposite cases. For example too abstract and unable to be abstract).
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm starting to see LIE. Watch a few of his Patreon QA sessions. Not sure if the definition of Te I'm applying in this case is too vague, simple, and consequentially, overlapping.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

It's like Jordan Peterson is the first half of the positives here http://www.socionics.com/advan/prof/intj.htm without the minuses as much lol though some of it does very much fit him still.

"You have a strong analytical mind and an ability to understand the structural patterns of any phenomena. You are objective and have a strong sense of justice. You always distinguish primary from secondary avoiding unnecessary details. Through logical progression you can extract and convey a concept to others, always directing peoples' attention to the main idea. You have good intuition. Having analysed an idea and understood its importance and potential you are often converted to it. Your creative intuition constantly develops and perfects it. You also have the ability to handle people carefully, to help them discover and develop their potential and to believe in it."

Totally his way of thinking: "Through logical progression you can extract and convey a concept to others, always directing peoples' attention to the main idea. You have good intuition. Having analysed an idea and understood its importance and potential you are often converted to it. Your creative intuition constantly develops and perfects it." The rest also fits him very well of course but what I've just quoted really describes his way of giving presentations based on the few videos I've seen.

For the minuses part, I saw a bit of a video someone linked on he forum where he explains how he fixed that self-confidence problem, pretty much. I watched that video for half a min maybe before I closed it bc it was such nonsense to me but I can see how LIIs work that way.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Someone was saying on another forum they are going to get a tattoo of JBP's phrase "Think again, sunshine" - and, it occurred to me how much that phrase is designed to stop an ESE in his or her tracks, cool them off and make them think. It's the equivalent of giving someone a cold shower or pouring a bucket of ice. Nothing alike an LIE-ESI duality.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Someone was saying on another forum they are going to get a tattoo of JBP's phrase "Think again, sunshine" - and, it occurred to me how much that phrase is designed to stop an ESE in his or her tracks, cool them off and make them think. It's the equivalent of giving someone a cold shower or pouring a bucket of ice. Nothing alike an LIE-ESI duality.
    Yes, "Think again, sunshine" is something that I would never, ever say. I perceive that as being purposely, unproductively offensive, and my Fe-role automatically recoils at that and would never let it pass my lips.

But an Fe-PoLR might say it. For example, I could easily see @Capitalist Pig or @Slugcat saying it.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Yes, "Think again, sunshine" is something that I would never, ever say. I perceive that as being purposely, unproductively offensive, and my Fe-role automatically recoils at that and would never let it pass my lips.

But an Fe-PoLR might say it. For example, I could easily see @Capitalist Pig or @Slugcat saying it.
    i never said anything bitch why you snitchin

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has been interesting to type him. Been uncertain about EIE or LIE. But now after seeing more videos I think LIE is definitely correct. Creative subtype and thats why there is an "ILI feel" about him
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

This is so not LIE lol (look at the comments too about the 1D Fe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOGEt5YiXQ

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    This is so not LIE lol (look at the comments too about the 1D Fe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOGEt5YiXQ
    That is adorkable.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    That is adorkable.
    Yes, it is.

That video is one of the main reasons why I think he is SX first after all.

NT guys, especially the introverted ones, usually don't exude the "raw charisma" or "sex appeal" that is associated with SX first people; it is mostly certain Ethicals who are like that. The first instinct is more about what you value anyway, not necessarily what you are the best at. His story and how he tells it give me the strong impression he is SX first, and that is what he really cares about.
    New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
    Yes, it is.

NT guys, especially the introverted ones, usually don't exude the "raw charisma" or "sex appeal" that is associated with SX first people; it is mostly certain Ethicals who are like that. The first instinct is more about what you value anyway, not necessarily what you are the best at. His story and how he tells it give me the strong impression he is SX first, and that is what he really cares about.
    Haha, okay sounds good.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpia View Post
    Yes, it is.

Very good points. I can see his sx intensity anyway though.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy must be a feeling type.
    Really if he is not a feeling (ethics) type basically all socionics typing and classification systems are wrong. Everything he talks about is subjective, fuzzy stuff (and he´s extremely confident and good at it) - introverted, non-definite - IxFx - I don´t know about N or S but I would place him as EII-Fi.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SX-1 is a very fitting enneagram approximation for this guy. He exemplifies Naranjo's description of SX-1s as having "zeal". There is just so much zeal infusing everything Peterson has to say, or as Naranjo puts it: "The intensity of the desire itself makes rationalization almost imperative."

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

SX-1 is a very fitting enneagram approximation for this guy. He exemplifies Naranjo's description of SX-1s as having "zeal". There is just so much zeal infusing everything Peterson has to say, or as Naranjo puts it: "The intensity of the desire itself makes rationalization almost imperative."
    That's totally spot on. I would say the sx/so makes him have extra energy in a sense but otherwise he's clearly introverted and not an LIE or EIE whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Really if he is not a feeling (ethics) type basically all socionics typing and classification systems are wrong. Everything he talks about is subjective, fuzzy stuff (and he´s extremely confident and good at it) - introverted, non-definite - IxFx - I don´t know about N or S but I would place him as EII-Fi.
    Lol the fuzzy stuff is the Ne creative. He uses explicit Ti definitions embedded in all the fuzzy Ne

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    That's totally spot on. I would say the sx/so makes him have extra energy in a sense but otherwise he's clearly introverted and not an LIE or EIE whatsoever.
    The Extravert Ni-creative typings are a mystery, given that it's been shown over and over again in this thread that JBP is an introvert. But whatever, people are still learning to type and all of us have made some weird typings while being introduced to socionics. JBP is not sx/so, however, and that extra energy comes from him being a PA type. In Jordan Peterson's own words, he has fully rejected the social realm at a very early age in favor of individual and personal approach, much like C. G. Jung whose works he commonly references, and who is also typed as SX/SP in the enneagram communities.

Jordan Peterson: "You know I’ve thought for a long time about a political career, really forever, since I was like twelve, really for a long time. And I’ve always decided against it because it seemed to me that the proper level of analysis, with regards to the solution of the problem that we’re facing, isn’t political. And that’s why I think it’s a mistake when what I’m doing gets politicized, even by me or other. I think that the way that you deal with this is to put yourself together, I really believe that, because I think that individual people are far more powerful, they’re certainly far more evil than their willing to consider. That’s also a sign of their unbelievable power. So, I think what you do is, aim high and put yourself together and stay the hell away from the ideologues. Because they’re hiding behind a wall and not able to come out and fight on their own behalf. And so, the way forward through the ideological mess, and that’s the lesson of Western culture, is place the individual at the place of paramount importance and to make the group identity emergent only when necessary, and secondarily if ever."

I've mentioned it in another discussion that as SX/SP and SOC-last I fully relate to this attitude.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way he gesticulates robustly has me wonder whether he is an S type - he just seems very physical in the way he engages in a conversation

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the way he gesticulates robustly has me wonder whether he is an S type - he just seems very physical in the way he engages in a conversation
    Hmm see I get a opposite impression. His voice is so squeezed so that tells me his nerves are closing his voicebox frequently, which says he is nervous - maybe even out of touch with the physical manifestations of his nerves. He makes no attempt to correct his voice by relaxing, as though he in unaware of how it feels.

His physical body looks slightly emaciated. Not to say that you cant look this way as a thin, older gentleman, still impression wise he seems out of touch with his body, or at the very least unconcerned with it to be in ego block. Does he bother feeding himself? Sorry im not being insulting when I say that.

His eyes look very tired most of the time, which is fine dont we all look a bit bagged from life. Still, some sensing disconnect there. He has pale skin, and doesnt appear to me to be a man who bothers worry about sensing concerns himself - although I am speculating.

Overall I see a man who is constantly in his head thinking about life, appearing to lack that kind of physical rootedness I associate with sensing in ego.

That he gesticulates is not a factor in this equation. That could simply be he is a hand talker. I'm a little bit dismayed that alpha NTs are not given due credit for how fervent and passionately they can discuss ideas on any number of topics. They are extremely idealistic and diplomatic, far more than gammas who focus on personal convictions (Fi) as juxtaposed to universal diplomatics ( for lack of a better term) in alpha, which is the inclusiveness of Fe with system thinking.

For instance, "why should some people need billions of dollars if they cannot possibly spend that entire amount in a single lifetime" -ESE

Further, is anyone aware of who Robespierre was? LIIs namesake? One of the leaders of the french "Reign of Terror", whose ideas was responsible for the motivation to behead thousands of people.

in February 1794 in a speech explained the necessity of terror:
    "If the basis of popular government in peacetime is virtue, the basis of popular government during a revolution is both virtue and terror; virtue, without which terror is baneful; terror, without which virtue is powerless. Terror is nothing more than speedy, severe and inflexible justice; it is thus an emanation of virtue; it is less a principle in itself, than a consequence of the general principle of democracy, applied to the most pressing needs of the patrie
    That quote is preceisly the kind of Ti justifications similar in tone and style to anything Petterson says. Like philosophically alphas favour egalitarian equality: that everything should be fair for everybody.
    Last edited by wacey; 09-20-2017 at 02:16 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

The Extravert Ni-creative typings are a mystery, given that it's been shown over and over again in this thread that JBP is an introvert.
    Yeah, maybe they were going by the strong Ni demonstrative while forgetting to have the typing align with the basic dichotomies.

JBP is not sx/so, however, and that extra energy comes from him being a PA type. In Jordan Peterson's own words, he has fully rejected the social realm at a very early age in favor of individual and personal approach, much like C. G. Jung whose works he commonly references, and who is also typed as SX/SP in the enneagram communities.
    Yeah I do think Jung was sx/sp but Peterson seems engaged with society on a level that along with his energy makes me wonder about sx/so. I myself can't yet decide if I am sx/sp or sx/so, so it's whatever. I relate to his sx-related energy very much however. Overall I do believe where I see similarity with him is with enneagram type + instinctual stacking possibly entirely matching or at least in a significant part, and Ti lead as well. The Ne (with strong Ni) part is foreign though lol (I slightly relate to the Ni but his is on a different level in terms of function strength than mine).

Jordan Peterson: "You know I’ve thought for a long time about a political career, really forever, since I was like twelve, really for a long time. And I’ve always decided against it because it seemed to me that the proper level of analysis, with regards to the solution of the problem that we’re facing, isn’t political. And that’s why I think it’s a mistake when what I’m doing gets politicized, even by me or other. I think that the way that you deal with this is to put yourself together, I really believe that, because I think that individual people are far more powerful, they’re certainly far more evil than their willing to consider. That’s also a sign of their unbelievable power. So, I think what you do is, aim high and put yourself together and stay the hell away from the ideologues. Because they’re hiding behind a wall and not able to come out and fight on their own behalf. And so, the way forward through the ideological mess, and that’s the lesson of Western culture, is place the individual at the place of paramount importance and to make the group identity emergent only when necessary, and secondarily if ever."

I've mentioned it in another discussion that as SX/SP and SOC-last I fully relate to this attitude.
    It's hard to say if this is soc-last or social instinct approached with a TiNe way of thinking. I have a pretty similar issue in terms of determining where my social instinct lies, with my Ti/Fe collectivism.

He has a kind of energy that he readily displays (I see that as his 1 sx intensity) but he still remains removed from the physical surroundings. I don't see him interacting with it on the physical level.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about his type, I've heard many speak well of him, but I've seen a few videos of him and he seems like a sane intellectual in a world of insane intellectuals, basically a breath of fresh air:

Last edited by Raver; 09-21-2017 at 04:18 AM.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

clearly an Ni base
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one.

My brother recommended I watch some of his lectures. I stopped in the first few minutes of the first one because half of it was weasel words and "the self" and other bollocks social construct shit. I don't doubt his intelligence but it's hard to find value in a lecture full of vagueries and equivocation.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

New Youtube [x] Get Typed! [x]
    Celebs [x] Theory [x] Tumblr [x]

*********** 21-04-19:
    "Looks like a mystic that just arrived to battle and staring out at the battle, ready to unleash"

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/v-hIVnmUdXM

im virtually certain Camille is ILI, and my gut says this is a quasi relationship between two highly developed individuals such that because of their mutual genius they can bridge the natural gap between them

on the other hand, I could kind of see Jordan as EII and him looking for a degree of approval from Camille

I do agree that Jordan speaks from a more ethical perspective, but I believe it could be a type accent wherein he approaches humanitarian topics from a researcher's perspective and Camille is somewhat in the same boat, but to not such an obvious degree

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote----->

My problems with Peterson is about this WALL of meandering information, jumping all over a topic by approaching it six ways to Sunday. I don't have the energy to deal with his obfuscations, generalizations, assumptions and this therefore that sort of logic. Peterson loves to start with a statement that most people will generally agree with (such as inequality in economics) but then make a host of assertions about what would happen or cannot happen not because of evidence but because he rationalized through his convoluted shotgun reasoning that plays loose with the reason and truth.

Just because you are an intellectual doesn't mean that you make sense and often I see people online who just drool over this guy and agree with him wholeheartedly often cannot express the same opinions absence the focus they might have when discussing a topic right after watching a video of his but they sure love to associate their own ideas with his (why not, he is pretty damn smart). It's almost like they have to go watch a video to see what they "should" think or believe. You see this in dozens of likable miscreants Ben Shapiro and even I am guilty of it to a degree with the late Christopher Hitchens and of course even with Harris (as many of you know). The difference is that Harris "unpacks" his opinions, Hitchens could succinctly get his message across and even Shapiro can easily establish relevancy for his opinions in an easily understandable way. You will have no problem detailing where you agree and disagree with any of them. Not so with Peterson.

Peterson is like watching a landmine go off in slow motion as each piece of shrapnel becomes yet another bullet point for all things relevant swimming around in Petersons head on that topic and when he runs out, he pulls in information from other topics and builds a road back to the original topic and tons of people just go "oh...wow...I never thought of it like that". I don't find it engaging, I find it exhausting and when I bother to carefully listen to his arguments, I often find myself disagreeing but hey, stick around because in the next minute, he will make four points you agree with for every two you don't. Confirmation biases aside, we can then find ourselves dismissing the blather and forming our own narrative of Peterson out of his Tornado of bullshit that is what you positively respond to (because there is plenty of it). He is the intellectual equivalent of a psychic medium who reels you in and then keeps you in because he has all the answers that you are so desperately seeking.

He is the polymath that gets you...the real sensible you and makes you feel special because you get it, you are a part of this greater understanding..... and you simply filter out the cracks. The TRUTH is that nobody really holds the blueprints and the more you find characters like these, the more you should realize we are all wrong and just fumbling around in the dark ride of life.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wacey View Post
    we are all wrong and just fumbling around in the dark ride of life.
    Of course - and we're all trying to make sense of it the best we can. Nobody has all the answers, or even very many of them.

I do find it interesting how very popular he is. At first it surprised me. I think it's maybe because he puts things in a digestible format for a majority of people (youtube videos) and simplified into easily-understood concepts.

This is why it's especially interesting that so many people complain that he skips around or isn't clear. I don't usually find him hard to follow, or find it hard to pinpoint where I agree and disagree. I was watching one of his less-clear explanations and discussions back in Sept. and someone asked me to write down my thoughts as we watched. What would happen is that I would say something in response to what one of them was saying, and then Jordan would say what I had said. This was his discussion with Harris and this is what I wrote:

[9/6/2017 5:16:51 PM] Squark: ok
    [9/6/2017 5:18:00 PM] Squark: right. they're starting from different axioms, different definitions
    [9/6/2017 5:18:11 PM] Squark: "if it doesn't serve life, it's not true" hm
    [9/6/2017 5:18:35 PM] Squark: okay, he explained truth in the rogan video and made more sense of this
    [9/6/2017 5:19:05 PM] Squark: talking about metaphorical vs objective truth
    [9/6/2017 5:19:18 PM] Squark: and it didn't sound so crazy when he explained it more
    [9/6/2017 5:20:02 PM] Squark: Weinstein also elaborated on this, from a different perspective
    [9/6/2017 5:20:58 PM] Squark: "facts aren't necessarly true"
    [9/6/2017 5:21:05 PM] Squark: well, okay
    [9/6/2017 5:21:16 PM] Squark: "I'm purposely gerrymandering the idea of truth"
    [9/6/2017 5:21:43 PM] Squark: right - it's making it difficult for people to understand
    [9/6/2017 5:22:39 PM] Squark: "highest truths are moral truths"
    [9/6/2017 5:25:53 PM] Squark: yes, agree with Jordan on the choice and values embedded in things
    [9/6/2017 5:29:47 PM] Squark: harris is wrong
    [9/6/2017 5:29:55 PM] Squark: they are starting from different ideas of truth
    [9/6/2017 5:30:03 PM] Squark: exactly you have to choose what you mean
    [9/6/2017 5:30:13 PM] Squark: and it's different defintions, exactly as I said
    [9/6/2017 5:31:05 PM] Squark: I disagree with Jordan's definition of truth - but not with what he's saying in regard to his own defintion
    [9/6/2017 5:34:04 PM] Squark: materialist realist VS that which selects
    [9/6/2017 5:37:05 PM] Squark: agree that it makes it hard to understand, but Harris should put more effort into actually understanding imo
    [9/6/2017 5:39:41 PM] Squark: Ah - it's like when I was trying to explain that objectivity is a value -- you start with the question "Why do you want to be objective" and Jordan is suggesting the answer to the question is simply survival.
    [9/6/2017 5:39:59 PM] Squark: agree
    [9/6/2017 5:40:07 PM] Squark: harris is inverting causal order
    [9/6/2017 5:41:49 PM] Squark: okay, at this point harris is just missing the point
    [9/6/2017 5:44:27 PM] Squark: in other words there is something beyond objectivity
    [9/6/2017 5:44:32 PM] Squark: and it comes down to values
    [9/6/2017 5:45:28 PM] Squark: yes, I agree with jordan
    [9/6/2017 5:46:27 PM] Squark: "insufficiently moral ppl will ask deadly scientific questions" indeed they will
    [9/6/2017 5:47:41 PM] Squark: "tech giants and moral infants" yes.
    [9/6/2017 5:47:52 PM] Squark: it's not a different topic - harris just doesn't get it
    [9/6/2017 5:48:50 PM] Squark: YES
    [9/6/2017 5:48:56 PM] Squark: that's what I said in that thread
    [9/6/2017 5:49:03 PM] Squark: it's exactly exactly what I was arguing
    [9/6/2017 5:49:10 PM] Squark: and *removed* couldn't understand
    [9/6/2017 5:49:32 PM] Squark: the scientific method is an ethic
    [9/6/2017 5:53:20 PM] Squark: agree with harris that there are other values besides survival
    [9/6/2017 5:54:13 PM] Squark: hm, "in local context" alright
    [9/6/2017 5:57:25 PM] Squark: I don't have a problem with Jordan's argument - and like I said, he was saying the same things I was in that thread, just he supplied an answer to the question of why in terms of survival and I haven't explored that enough to agree or disagree

To sum up, I found it easy to pinpoint that it was his definition itself I disagreed with, but if starting from that definition then his argument made sense and actually was the same as an argument I had myself made some time before watching the video. I found the definition Harris gave of truth much closer to my own, and agreed with him that there is more than survival, but thought he should have been able to understand Jordan's argument, and I wasn't sure why he couldn't.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not suggesting my type has any bearing on his. Was commenting on the idea that he's "hard to follow" or "jumps around" and that people can't pinpoint what they agree or disagree with as I don't find any of this to be true.
    Last edited by squark; 10-09-2017 at 03:39 AM.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand View Post
    I see people say that a lot about him, and it makes me think there's a Ti/Te disjunction that could militate towards Peterson being Te valuing, because I tend to think he makes perfect sense, yet often people say he doesn't justify his opinions or whatever
    I find his stuff ok in terms of I can follow it ok. His opinions seem justified fine too. (Doesn't mean I agree with all of it, just that he does explicitly reason for his opinions.)

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This should be posted here
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is an interesting conversation for a lot of reasons.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    This is an interesting conversation for a lot of reasons.
    liek, which ones?

edit: this is a pretty good analysis of their interview http://quillette.com/2018/01/17/jord...w-bourgeoisie/

Last edited by silke; 01-28-2018 at 07:57 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When doolz/illusion get testy.
    Last edited by wacey; 01-19-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: more thinking.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lol he was definitely playing with her during the interview...as far as which reasons, I can't be arsed, I'm sure you'll find a few.
    Last edited by ouronis; 01-19-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am a Socionics noob I warn you!

I think he resonates with a lot of people because the subjects he brings to light are universal in the sense that they touch upon terrifying existential aspects of the human condition that manifest in everyone's life in some form or other. This is why modern counselling and psychotherapy incorporate central ideas taken from the humanist and existential psychotherapy schools (i.e. finding meaning in a "meaningless world", confronting existential anxiety, living congruently and strengthening the internal locus of control). For this reason, I don't see why his ideas would be more or less relevant to certain types/quadras.

Now, with regard typing him....I have no clue where to start! Although, I am very interested in this question. My husband, whose type I have not confidently determined (other than he is most certainly some kind of logical intuitive type), finds his lectures and talks to be overly emotional, and I think this puts him off somewhat. The subject interests him, but there is something in the delivery that sits uncomfortably with him. Whether this is related to Sociotype or not is not clear, but it's something I was thinking about recently.

Anyway, I hope there is more discussion on this as I am very new to Socionics and while I don't feel confident typing others, I learn a lot from observing discussions about it.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

(crap, was a bit rusty got punchy and hit the wrong vote, oh well) I think he's LII as he sounds like my LII cousin if he happened to be an expert in Jungian psychology as opposed to computer programming/hacking. He also seems to have that Alpha need to be socially acceptable. Both seem to be fearful of being ostracized for some reason. For Peterson there's an explicit angle though. You... don't exactly get rich, found respectable in polite society, and get financial backing in mainstream ways if you mention a, well, I don't wanna be told to cool it with certain remarks...

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast