Thread: Right brain - Left brain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Right brain - Left brain

Is there a mapping of Socionic Types on hemisphere predominance?

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/229
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Is there a mapping of Socionic Types on hemisphere predominance?

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/229
    I think, Left is ST, and Right is NF.

Creepy-bg

SFs use their genitals, not their brains

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its simple, right=P left=J. Just because a person is J doesn't mean they don't view things holistic and creatively. Same thing vice versa about analysis and J. Every person has both Right and Left brain functions. INTjs for example have -Ti/+Te left brain +Ne/-Ni right brained.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    and where did you get this information?
    You can for example find this in Lytov's Introduction into Socionics, part 2:

We think that the top part of our picture correlates with the RIGHT brain hemisphere, and the bottom part – with the LEFT brain hemisphere. However, this hypothesis needs to be researched further.
    And in MBTT writings, for example Lenore Thomson's, you will also see that they correlate P with the right hemisphere and J with the left hemisphere.

It has also been suggested somewhere that (in MBTT terminology) Si, Te, Ni, and Fi are left brain, and that Fe, Se, Ne, and Ti are right brain. But in that context we must keep in mind that in MBTT Ti is seen as holistic and non-linear and as the dominant function of P types, that Ni is seen as the dominant of the INTJ "system builders" (which is the same type as the LII), and that Si is also a clearly J function that they use to explain the behaviours and attitudes of ESIs (ISFJs) and LSIs (ISTJs).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how can you ascertain the validity of this information?
    By scanning people's brains. At least these correlations make sense and seem to be consistent with empirical observations of people's behaviour.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which correlations?
    I mean the assumption that the irrational functions are located in the right hemisphere, and the rational functions in the left hemisphere. Notice that "Ti" in MBTT is an irrational function from a Socionics perspective, because it is assumed to explain the behaviours and attitudes of an ILI (INTP), and that "Ni" in MBTT is a rational function from a Socionics perspective, because it is about the behaviour of LIIs (INTJs).

Rational behaviour and attitude in general is left brain, irrational behaviour and attitude is right brain -- that is the overall picture.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you read Talanov, he mentions something about S and F being in the right and N and T in the left hemispheres, which is to do with S and F being to do with first level signalling system of highest level nervous system from neurophysiology and N and T - second.
    As I said earlier, according to some MBTT theorists Se and Fe are located in the right hemisphere, and Ni and Te in the left hemisphere. (And here "Ni" in MBTT is equivalent to in Socionics.)

There is also a slight controversy about autism. Some people say that people with Asperger's Syndrome are strongly left brained, but that is probably not true. The behaviour I described earlier is, in its extreme form, most clearly expressed in autistic savants, like for example Kim Peek. Their extraordinary abilities in certain areas, like exceptional memory for details, etc., can be caused by a low-functioning left hemisphere that is compensated by a more developed right hemisphere. Some scientists believe that this could be one of the keys to understanding creativity, a phenomenon that is traditionally supposed to be linked to the right hemisphere.

The left hemisphere functions, in many ways, as a filter of information, and a perfect example of that phenomenon is Expat and other rational types, who according to Socionics naturallly filter information at an earlier stage in the information gathering process than irrational types do.

Rational (J) behaviour is judging behaviour, it means interpreting and filtering the information according to preestablished critera, whereas savant/autistic/Asperger behaviour means not interpreting, not filtering, not judging the information -- at least not until much later in the infomration gathering process. This could explain why people with Asperger/autism think in unusual ways, and why Asperger is linked to ingenuity. Einstein, Wittgenstein, Newton, Mozart, Michelangelo, da Vinci have all had clear autistic traits, and at least the first two definitely had Asperger. It could be the absence of an "interpreting filter" that explains their creativity. They are able to see the world in a more direct way than normal people, without prejudices, and therefore they are able to see what normal people will overlook.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i understood from what you wrote is that autism might be correlated with either the "weakened J", or overfocus on the left hemishpere or underfocus on the right one if the "Ni and Te" thing does hold to an extent. i don't have anything to say to that though.
    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. My guess is that those who believe that autism/Asperger is correlated with the left hemisphere (supposedly causing OCD-like behaviour, "planning" things in advance, wanting to know things in advance, reluctance to change, etc.) are wrong, and that those who believe that autism/Asperger is correlated with overfocus on the right hemisphere (causing "thinking-in-pictures", problems with being understood, not interpreting things, mood swings, inability to structure their life, IP behaviour, gathering enormous amounts of information in their special areas, inability to make decisions, etc.) are closer to the truth.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brain is a three dimensional structure. It's probable that when people talks about right and left brain they are really talking about the neocortex and limbic systems instead.

One thing that I find very curious about the transcription of the video is that it describes the right brain both in terms of Ne (holistic) and Si (sensorial). It could be that my theory that sensing and intuition are not different modes of thinking like socionics proposes, but rather extremes of the same scale more in line with MBTI theory.

It would be something like this:

Te: limbic - Fi: cortex
    Fe: limbic - Ti: cortex
    Ne: limbic - Se: cortex
    Si: limbic - Ni: cortex

Te - Fe scale (limbic)
    Ti - Fi scale (cortex)
    Ne - Si scale (limbic)
    Se - Ni scale (cortex)

Dominants are people who rely on a single layer. Balanced are those who rely on both layers.

Cortex dominants (agressors):
    FiSe
    SeFi
    TiSe
    SeTi

Limbic dominants (caregivers):
    TeSi
    SiTe
    FeSi
    SiFe

Balanced, cortex perception, limbic judgement (victims):
    FeNi
    TeNi
    NiFe
    NiTe

Balanced, limbic perception, cortex judgement (infantile):
    FiNe
    TiNe
    NeFi
    NeTi
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.